Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Take this with a grain of salt, my conversation with Sprint CS chat yesterday..

Alfred Y.: AL, I have checked and I can see new software update for the Nexus was started from April 17th, 2014 and it can be updated automatically Over The Air by April 21st, 2014 on all the Nexus 5 devices.

Alfred Y.: You do not need to do anything. I will be available anytime on your device.    

Customer: Ok    

Customer: hopefully that still is the case    

Customer: I found it odd    

Customer: that sprint removed the information from there site    

Customer: It was there the 14th    

Alfred Y.: Yes, you are absolutely correct. Earlier it was available from April 14th. But we have not received any software from Google for the Nexus 5 devices. That is the reason, it was Postponed and now it was available from April 17th, 2014

At the very least he acknowledged the fact that it was removed. 

Based on what I've read from a variety of sources, Sprint has very little to do with Nexus updates. Nexus updates are handled like iPhone updates. All Sprint has to do (and all that Sprint is allowed to do) is make sure the update does not break network compatibility. It has been completely up to Google this whole time. And, to a lesser extent LG engineers.

This whole thing is just hilariously ironic. Sprint and VZ didn't get the N4 because they wanted too much control over updates and would slow them down. Now that Google is fully in charge, the updates that pertain to Sprint are taking forever.

We just can't win. :)

• Like 1

I'm inclined to believe your statements but you haven't given any proof of a reliable source so it makes me skeptical.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

and i am perfectly fine with that.

Well you're certainty honest. Usually a positive thing lol. Um..stock. I wouldn't have any clue how to change that.

I still maintain you have a faulty device. There should be no CSFB issues in downtown Atalanta.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

I like that they fixed camera problem. But please fix other bugs.

16:9 aspect ratio to be supported soon as well! They are making some good improvements that make me miss the EVO LTE's camera less and less. The new icon is a little much though lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Protection Site Black List! These cities will not likely be getting protection sites. The reason is, in these cities Clearwire is already broadcasting on 2.5GHz. So they are meeting FCC licensing requirements for minimum coverages already in this spectrum. The problem for Sprint users, is that they are broadcasting their legacy Pre-WiMax signals here. Not WiMax. So your Sprint devices don't detect it!

• Aberdeen/Hoquiam WA
  • Anchorage AK
  • Anderson CA
  • Bend OR
  • Carson City NV
  • Central Point OR
  • Chico CA
  • Chippewa Falls WI
  • Clarkston WA
  • Cohasset Beach/Wesport WA
  • Corning CA
  • Dayton OH
  • Duluth MN
  • Eagle River AK
  • Eau Claire WI
  • Fernley NV
  • Grants Pass OR
  • Hermantown MN
  • Klamath Falls OR
  • Incline Village NV
  • Jacksonville OR
  • Lewiston ID
  • Longview TX
  • Madras OR
  • Medford OR
  • Middletown OH
  • Minden/Gardnerville NV
  • Moscow ID
  • Myrtle Creek OR
  • Orland CA
  • Paradise CA
  • Prineville OR
  • Proctor MN
  • Pullman WA
  • Red Bluff CA
  • Redding CA
  • Redmond OR
  • Reno/Sparks NV
  • Roseburg OR
  • St. Cloud MN
  • Shasta Lake CA
  • Sisters OR
  • South Lake Tahoe CA
  • Springfield OH
  • Stateline/Kingsbury NV
  • Superior WI
  • Wenatchee WA
When Clear first started deploying their WiMax networks, they started with their Pre-WiMax markets first. Many, like Boise, Idaho and Jacksonville, Florida had their towers coverted from pre-WiMax to WiMax. However, about halfway through these conversions, Sprint started releasing WiMax devices and pressuring Clear to switch to major metro areas (which of course makes a lot of sense).

And then, as we all know, about halfway through the major market rollout, Clear started running into financial problems. Since they were running out of time to meet FCC Minimum Coverage Standards, they have largely abandoned Major Market Rollouts and running around and setting up Protection Sites.

However, the cities listed above are likely not to ever get protection sites. The Old Clearwire Pre-Wimax signals are still being broadcast in these cities, and they have pretty substantial coverage areas. So Clearwire is just going to jump right over them.

And since Sprint (and likely Clear too) are migrating toward LTE, it is likely these cities WILL NEVER see WiMax signals. Sad!

Cities the size of Dayton, Anchorage and Reno are secondary markets. This is a major oversight by Clear and Sprint. Tsk, tsk! Not to mention the major oversights of the primary markets of San Diego, Phoenix, Detroit, Memphis, Indianapolis, Birmingham...

Call again. That is the first I'veheard them deny someone

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Based on what I've read from a variety of sources, Sprint has very little to do with Nexus updates. Nexus updates are handled like iPhone updates. All Sprint has to do (and all that Sprint is allowed to do) is make sure the update does not break network compatibility. It has been completely up to Google this whole time. And, to a lesser extent LG engineers.

This whole thing is just hilariously ironic. Sprint and VZ didn't get the N4 because they wanted too much control over updates and would slow them down. Now that Google is fully in charge, the updates that pertain to Sprint are taking forever.

We just can't win. :)

Hopefully that doesnt mean the end of the nexus line for us. 

• Like 1

I called sprint about my msl number they started asking me 1000 questions. And they said they couldn't give me the number.

Just try another person. Some are becoming a pain in the butt when asking.

Went to cooprate sprint store today. Asked about spark update told me the 24 of this month is when spark is being pushed to devices saw there email. Wouldn't let me take a picture. Well see if there right this time. Got a free galaxy tab out of the deal.

• Like 1

Went to cooprate sprint store today. Asked about spark update told me the 24 of this month is when spark is being pushed to devices saw there email. Wouldn't let me take a picture. Well see if there right this time. Got a free galaxy tab out of the deal.

I'm confused.. you went into the store to ask about the Spark update for the Nexus 5, and not only did they show you their e-mail, but they gave you a free Galaxy Tab as well?  :scratch:

-Mike

• Like 5

I still maintain you have a faulty device. There should be no CSFB issues in downtown Atalanta.

Sent from my Nexus 5

You may very well be correct. But the technicians at the store near my house have zero interest in looking into it. I think i pissed them off by knowing more about Sprint's network than they do....thanks to s4gru!!

Yeah they were VERY hesitant to give me my MSL.

Online chat always worked for me. All you have to do is play dumb. "I messed up my phone and had to do a factory reset, now it's asking me for some kind of 'msl' code. What is that?" Works every time.
  • Like 5

Yeah they were VERY hesitant to give me my MSL.

I called sprint about my msl number they started asking me 1000 questions. And they said they couldn't give me the number.

To get my MSL I called and said I app development so I need the MSL to get systems logs to verify the apps are running smoothly.

I asked about my msl. After looking into my account. She said I can get a free galaxy tab 3 just pay data. Then told me 24th

Sprint is in a state where they want subscribers so look like they are growing on their financial statements, even though they are handing out devices for free. 

All about the continuous cash flows.

So I've had my n5 off my Sprint account for a week, and was running a T-mobile prepaid sim for kicks. I wanted to re activate my n5 on my account, and it just wouldn't work. Sprint could not get it activated. I purchased this from Sprint and it came with a Sprint sim. Any ideas why the phone just won't pick up Sprint signal after being on T-Mobile for a week? Thanks, guys.

So I've had my n5 off my Sprint account for a week, and was running a T-mobile prepaid sim for kicks. I wanted to re activate my n5 on my account, and it just wouldn't work. Sprint could not get it activated. I purchased this from Sprint and it came with a Sprint sim. Any ideas why the phone just won't pick up Sprint signal after being on T-Mobile for a week? Thanks, guys.

Under the network setting make its on lte/cdma. And you might have to change the network to Sprint.

Call again. That is the first I'veheard them deny someone

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Same thing happened to me. They asked a thousand questions why.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk