Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I am going to be in Minneapolis and Philadelphia this week. Looking forward to trying the different radio combinations and band tests.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Is anyone here noticing a significant amount of time without signal running .15? It only used 4% of my battery but I'm just curious to see other users time without signal.

I don't know the real reason for that 56% "time without a signal" number, but my guess is since the .15 radio is known to have issues with e/CSFB, and since I've seen screenshots way long ago where people were connected to LTE, but their notifications window showed "Searching for Service" instead of "Sprint", it's probably due to not being connected to CDMA all the time. I know people love to use the .15 radio as their daily driver, and if it works for them, it's perfectly ok, but there's a reason the first publicly released radio version was the .17 one.

After looking around, here's one of the posts that said that:

I have been playing around with the .15 and .17 radios and have discovered that my area has LTE800.  I was at a shopping mall over the weekend and noticed my LTE signal was going from -105 dBm to -115 dBm but I still had a fairly good internet speed.  I pulled up the engineering screen and noticed I was connected to Band 26 and a big smile was on my face.  At the time I was using the .15 radio and it was holding onto Band 26 for awhile, even with the dBm's going from -100 to -90.  However I did notice that my Nexus was searching for Sprint service when I was connected to Band 26. So I had Internet but no voice service.  Since I also want to be able to call or text from time to time, I decided to load the .17 radio back onto my phone and was able to get Sprint service again, but couldn't connect to Band 26 even with PRL pull, profile update or even an airplane mode toggle in the same area that I was getting Band 26. 

So, what I have discovered is that I am happy to have Band 26 in my area and it was working great, my only problem is I can't take or receive calls or text while running .15.  Now if I am closer to a tower on the .15 radio, I do get Sprint service and could make a call if I needed to because I was connected to Band 25, but for now I have decided to stick with the .17 radio since it will give me both data and voice and just hope the next Google update includes the Sprint Spark update with a new radio which plays nicely with the towers in my area.

I don't know the real reason for that 56% "time without a signal" number, but my guess is since the .15 radio is known to have issues with e/CSFB, and since I've seen screenshots way long ago where people were connected to LTE, but their notifications window showed "Searching for Service" instead of "Sprint", it's probably due to not being connected to CDMA all the time. I know people love to use the .15 radio as their daily driver, and if it works for them, it's perfectly ok, but there's a reason the first publicly released radio version was the .17 one.

After looking around, here's one of the posts that said that:

I've had the searching for signal thing happen to me when a couple times. My city is mostly complete so it doesn't happen often. I'm thinking about going to .17 until Google releases the new update with the new modem.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Obviously, you didn't read back the last few pages and seen my post here. So let me repost it for you.

You folks have 3 options: Either you can move your rants to Sprint to complain about the Nexus 5 update, move on to the next subject or you can take a vacation. I hear Bandlandia is nice this time of year. Last chance.

obviously... you didnt read my post either....

i said i tried not to complain and if you see my history. i barely or ever do. this is my first... and im not ranting about the update in any particular way except to say that the people here saying the 14th, then the 21st and now we dont know when. 

there are people here saying the update is coming this date or this date and really i find it a bunch of bull that people who claim to be with google or sprint say these things and mislead people who need this update because the phone is unusable. in my particular situation... i am in miami, the first sprint spark area... and i dont get either sprint spark or decent LTE because the radio on the phone. i want to root and fix it but then people are saying its coming the 21st and originally the 14th.  so if i fix it... and it launches... then i have to wipe my phone all over again because im trying to fix an issue i shouldnt have to deal with. the wifi constantly locks up, i live in a cement building and an area with poor coverage... i can even PM you to prove the address... and for me... i was hoping the update was coming because google isnt saying anything and i rely on these people and feel misled by these people. thats all i was saying

• Like 1

i said i tried not to complain and if you see my history. i barely or ever do. this is my first... and im not ranting about the update in any particular way except to say that the people here saying the 14th, then the 21st and now we dont know when. 

there are people here saying the update is coming this date or this date and really i find it a bunch of bull that people who claim to be with google or sprint say these things and mislead people who need this update because the phone is unusable. in my particular situation... i am in miami, the first sprint spark area... and i dont get either sprint spark or decent LTE because the radio on the phone. i want to root and fix it but then people are saying its coming the 21st and originally the 14th.  so if i fix it... and it launches... then i have to wipe my phone all over again because im trying to fix an issue i shouldnt have to deal with. the wifi constantly locks up, i live in a cement building and an area with poor coverage... i can even PM you to prove the address... and for me... i was hoping the update was coming because google isnt saying anything and i rely on these people and feel misled by these people. thats all i was saying

It doesn't matter how often you complain tho... He said take any complaints to sprint and not here.  This thread is for discussing the phone and solutions you can gain with current resources.  

If you want to root to try flashing a new radio, you don't need to unroot to get the update.  just stay rooted.  or wait, whichever you prefer. 

• Like 2

Always remember,your first negative comment here can always be your last.

No one here at S4GRU is claiming to be from Google or Sprint. The reports that you are seeing here are from members that have spoken to CSRs at Sprint and have been giving suggested dates. Anyone here that is intentionally misleading folks are given corrective action that varies on different levels.

Rooting your phone is not going to affect how your phone is going to work in a Sprint market. I don't need your address to check coverage as this is not a Sprint site, as clearly stated on this site. If you have a problem with Sprint, you've been directed where you can make a comment to them about it. This is not the place to do so. Here is a forum of members that are wireless enthusiast that are tracking Network Vision deployment for educational purposes.

You may want to check that FAQs of this website before continuing this discussion.

Edit: Changed "rant" to "negative comment".

• Like 1

ha6a8uvu.jpg

Is anyone here noticing a significant amount of time without signal running .15? It only used 4% of my battery but I'm just curious to see other users time without signal.

I have it a lot. When you pull down your notification bar does it say searching for service or sprint? Because that was the problem I was experiencing. I didn't have very many problems with csfb but the "no signal" was a little weird.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guys, I have a question, and need some help/advice: I want to try Franco kernel to get more control and better battery life. I'm new to this stuff, but not technically challenged when it comes to a project like this. I've been researching, so please tell me if I have the steps correct. Backup my files, root, get phone back to how I had it, install twrp, create a stock backup, install Franco kernel? Am I missing anything? Any tips? Will I be able to get the eventual spark ota on Franco, or do I need to flash back to my saved stock recovery and sideload it when it's available as a download. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5

my phone is taking 5 hours to charge. why so long all of a sudden?

Could be a bad cable or some task draining it almost as fast as its charging. If its plugged into a USB port on a PC try a different port or the wall adapter.

Also if the your signal got messed up do to them working on a tower or whatever could also be part of it if the phone is constantly searching. When something odd happens a full power off cycle can sometimes help too.

install any new apps?

Sent from Nexus 5

I have it a lot. When you pull down your notification bar does it say searching for service or sprint? Because that was the problem I was experiencing. I didn't have very many problems with csfb but the "no signal" was a little weird.

"Searching for Service" while connected to LTE means you are in LTE-only mode. You can use data, but will not receive any telephone calls. It happens when you explicitly put your radio in LTE-only mode, or connect to a site with CSFB issues.

-Mike

Guys, I have a question, and need some help/advice: I want to try Franco kernel to get more control and better battery life. I'm new to this stuff, but not technically challenged when it comes to a project like this. I've been researching, so please tell me if I have the steps correct. Backup my files, root, get phone back to how I had it, install twrp, create a stock backup, install Franco kernel? Am I missing anything? Any tips? Will I be able to get the eventual spark ota on Franco, or do I need to flash back to my saved stock recovery and sideload it when it's available as a download. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5

You will need to go back to stock recovery. Any modifications will cause it to fail the checks and not update. The simplest way to do this is Franco's updater app, it will create a backup of your stock kernel for you and you can download the new kernel from it. There's two options, manual flash or auto flash.

Plus if you really like the kernel you can upgrade to pro and get numerous more tweaks. My favorites are the sound tweaks for headphones, it improves quality a bunch.

• Like 1

Sent from my Nexus 5

Back up what you can, root and install twrp at the same time, restore backup, flash Franco and clear cache and dalvik cache

• Like 1

The last week or so I've been having a problem with WiFi. I'll get home from work and I won't be able to toggle it on or off unless I reboot. It started happening around the same time I went back to using battery guru but I also read about some WiFi lock problems. Is it just a coincidence I installed battery guru at the same time or do others have the same issue?

The last week or so I've been having a problem with WiFi. I'll get home from work and I won't be able to toggle it on or off unless I reboot. It started happening around the same time I went back to using battery guru but I also read about some WiFi lock problems. Is it just a coincidence I installed battery guru at the same time or do others have the same issue?

It's an android bug. If you toggle wifi hotspot you can avoid having to reboot the phone.

• Like 2

Sent from my Nexus 5

You will need to go back to stock recovery. Any modifications will cause it to fail the checks and not update. The simplest way to do this is Franco's updater app, it will create a backup of your stock kernel for you and you can download the new kernel from it. There's two options, manual flash or auto flash.

Plus if you really like the kernel you can upgrade to pro and get numerous more tweaks. My favorites are the sound tweaks for headphones, it improves quality a bunch.

Like kojitsari said, you will have to go back to stock recovery to get the OTA. That being said, you could just sideload the factory image/flash a zip of the OTA and that would save you having to go back to the recovery.

• Like 1

Hey Guys, I am seeing some wierd behavior with the connectivity on my Nexus 5. I was wondering if any of you have seen anything similar or have any ideas to fix this.

I am continually dropping calls at my house but the phone seems to work ok in most other areas.  Sometimes it will connect for a few minutes, other times I cannot even complete a short phone call because it will continually drop the call within the first 30 seconds.

I tried turning off WiFi since this helped some other users with similar issues and discovered Sprint now has LTE coverage at my house.  I am getting 4.5 Mbps down and 2.5 Mbps up, but I can't make a simple phone call.  Why would this be?

• Like 1

Man, this thread slowed down when the griping about Spark/4.4.3 lessened.

Anyone tried out the new Hangouts update yet?  Hasn't hit mine, and I'm too lazy to go get the APK right now.  :D

Thought I had it but on inspection I don't.

Not sure if this was linked already: http://phandroid.com/2014/04/21/hangouts-update/

• Like 1

The hangout update makes it better. I like thew new contacts layout on my N5 and especially the merged contacts. It was one of the main reasons I avoided hangouts for the longest time. Next they gotta fix the voicemail issues with Hangouts. Super annoying.

Still not up there to the default Samsung messaging app and not yet on the level of iMessage. Certainly not on the level of WhatsApp either.

My CDMA roaming mode was already set to Automatic, so even if that could help it won't help me, but thanks for trying.

After looking into this more I think it may be a network handoff issue.  Maybe someone with more knowledge of how the network works can let me know, but when I place a voice call Signal Check reports that I am on 1x800.  According to the NV Complete maps in the sponsor section there is a tower near me that has 1x800 but not LTE and there is a tower near me that has LTE but not 1x800.  My theory is that my phone is switching between these towers depending on what signal type i'm requesting and there is an issue with the handoff.  Does that sound reasonable?