Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

For those that are having problems staying connected to LTE, have you run the full 4.4.3 update or just flashed the 2.x.x.x.13 baseband?

I downloaded  the factory image straight from Google and use the Nexus Root kit to go back to stock rooted using the download.

Then I used it to root. I had problems until I flash the 0.15 modem.

So finally had a chance to walk around my neighborhood here in NYC, walked about 2 miles, and I have to say, its pretty spectacular. Handoffs were ultra smooth, and speeds were consistent! Hopped onto B26 as soon as I walked out, about 12mb sec down avg, then it dropped to B25 for about 20 seconds, then switched to B41! 

Also, I can see why this radio was designed to not hang onto any given weak signal, and people would say its worse than .15 I think in markets that have limited access to B26 or no B41,  how this could be a weaker performer.

Side note, I have never held onto a B26 like today, could be a combination of more sites coming online and this new radio.

One word! AWESOME! 

• Like 4

So, in my pondering a factory reset or going back to a previous radio, I had a curious thing happen today.  I've been paying attention every time I turn on the screen for roughly 10 hours now.  When I rebooted, I had LTE, but within 30 minutes it had dropped to 3G (sitting in the same spot, LTE was @ -97 to -100).  I drove around a bit, but it stayed stuck on 3G.  Roughly 4 hours later, it toggled itself to LTE on its own, not more than a few feet from where it had LTE earlier in the day, but had dropped to 3G.  It kept LTE for about 2 hours, on all levels of the house and out in the yard, then dropped back to 3G, where it still is currently sitting.

Periodically I've been toggling Wifi on and off to see if that would make any difference, but have had Wifi primarily on.  It hasn't seemed to have changed anything for me.

Just used the 4.4.3-KTU84M-from-4.4.2-KOT49H image from XDA with the ADB sideload method, no issues so far.

So, in my pondering a factory reset or going back to a previous radio, I had a curious thing happen today. I've been paying attention every time I turn on the screen for roughly 10 hours now. When I rebooted, I had LTE, but within 30 minutes it had dropped to 3G (sitting in the same spot, LTE was @ -97 to -100). I drove around a bit, but it stayed stuck on 3G. Roughly 4 hours later, it toggled itself to LTE on its own, not more than a few feet from where it had LTE earlier in the day, but had dropped to 3G. It kept LTE for about 2 hours, on all levels of the house and out in the yard, then dropped back to 3G, where it still is currently sitting.

Periodically I've been toggling Wifi on and off to see if that would make any difference, but have had Wifi primarily on. It hasn't seemed to have changed anything for me.

This is exactly the kind of behavior that I am experiencing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've been testing it and I seem to get about 5dBm less on the new modem when compared to flashing back to .15  Now is that worth it over proper band transitions?

I've had no issues with transitions. Get better b26/b25. And it works fine for me on b41 when I've had it in Dallas and San antonio
  • Like 1

For those that are having problems staying connected to LTE, have you run the full 4.4.3 update or just flashed the 2.x.x.x.13 baseband?

I am still on 4.4.2 but flashed the 2.x.13 baseband.

Spent most of the afternoon and evening driving around in areas that provided me with ~99% B25 coverage on the .15 and .17 radios... tonight I was on LTE less than 50% of the time. When stuck on 3G in areas where I previously had great signal, airplane mode toggles usually connected me to LTE briefly, then back down to 3G within a few seconds.

B26 (occasional glimpses here and there) and B41 (none at all) are exactly the same as they were on previous radios. I'm guessing that's just the current state of the network in my area. I don't have another tri-band device to confirm this.

-Mike

• Like 2

I can't quite figure out why my system had no driver issues when I run adb reboot recovery, but once it is in recovery it tells me that there are no drivers for my device. I am running the latest adb via the SDK update.

Some things I've done:

1) Change USB Cable/Port
2) Uninstall drivers, install manually
3) Make sure I run the update for the SDK and have USB driver under EXTRAS checked
4) Download the USB driver on my own and try to install that way.

No luck! Any ideas?

Never mind on the above post, I gave up and just put root and a custom recovery on it. 

Quick question: How come my SignalCheckPro doesn't show the LTE Band like I've seen on a few screenshots here?

Never mind on the above post, I gave up and just put root and a custom recovery on it.

Quick question: How come my SignalCheckPro doesn't show the LTE Band like I've seen on a few screenshots here?

Signal Check Pro can only pull whatever data is available from the device itself. It all depends on the electronic architecture of your device. My LG G2 does provide the band information in SCP. My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 does not. Possibly rooting has something to do with it.

Band 25 doesn't show up, but I think it just shows up automatically as Band 26 or Band 41 if connected.  I didn't see anything in the settings menu to activate it.

• Like 1

Those of you who are having good results with the latest radio did you reprovision your phone?

Nope, I believe certain markets might have a harder time dealing with the latest radio handing off to 3G a bit sooner than it probably should.

In a Market like NYC, where site spacing is very tight but yet very congested, holding onto a -105dBm is mostly a loss cause and 3G  will outperform LTE in those cases. Where as B26 should fill in those coverage holes left by B25.

All my testing was done after 10pm, lets see what happens during peak times...

No you don't, the radio on the S5 is TERRIBLE.  WAYYYY worse than the N5, my wife has one.

Yeah, that is just it.  Even with the radio performing worse than before, it is still pretty much on par or a little bit better than most devices.  We were just spoiled before.  I would say with the new .13 radio the N5 is about on par with the G2 for B25 and B26.  No B41 around here for me to test, but from what I have heard the G2 beats the N5 pretty easily.  Unless we get a new radio at some point, I will probably re-activate my G2 once B41 starts popping up around here.

Still nice to be able to easily go back to the .15 radio if I am in a dead spot.  Takes a minute and then I have a useable signal if needed.  In my testing, B26 on the .13 radio is pretty much equal to B25 on the .15 radio! :unsure:

I said this before, but I wish they would've been able to keep B25 performance around where it is (and was on the .23 radio) and also have kept B26 performance where it was on the .15 radio.  Would've been an absolute beast of a performer. 

• Like 1

i cant figure out for the life of me how to side load this. 

it shouldn't be hard, I did it last night and it went through fine.

1. Place the update file in the platform tools folder

2. Hook up your phone to the computer and make sure USB debugging is on under developer options

3. Hold Shift and Right Click Platform Tools, opening a command prompt window

4. do adb devices to make sure your phone is connected

5. do the adb reboot bootloader command

6. press volume down on your phone until you get to recovery and press power

7. When it gets to the screen with the robot and the red exclamation sign, hold power and press volume up

8. use volume down and select "apply update from ADB"

9. do adb sideload filename.zip with filename being whatever the name of the update file you give it

if you did everything correctly it should install. If not, you did something wrong.

• Like 1

it shouldn't be hard, I did it last night and it went through fine.

1. Place the update file in the platform tools folder

2. Hook up your phone to the computer and make sure USB debugging is on under developer options

3. Hold Shift and Right Click Platform Tools, opening a command prompt window

4. do adb devices to make sure your phone is connected

5. do the adb reboot bootloader command

6. press volume down on your phone until you get to recovery and press power

7. When it gets to the screen with the robot and the red exclamation sign, hold power and press volume up

8. use volume down and select "apply update from ADB"

9. do adb sideload filename.zip with filename being whatever the name of the update file you give it

if you did everything correctly it should install. If not, you did something wrong.

what sdk do i have to download how to properly install it.  Theres like 10 different ways to install it

Yeah, that is just it. Even with the radio performing worse than before, it is still pretty much on par or a little bit better than most devices. We were just spoiled before. I would say with the new .13 radio the N5 is about on par with the G2 for B25 and B26. No B41 around here for me to test, but from what I have heard the G2 beats the N5 pretty easily. Unless we get a new radio at some point, I will probably re-activate my G2 once B41 starts popping up around here.

Still nice to be able to easily go back to the .15 radio if I am in a dead spot. Takes a minute and then I have a useable signal if needed. In my testing, B26 on the .13 radio is pretty much equal to B25 on the .15 radio! :unsure:

I said this before, but I wish they would've been able to keep B25 performance around where it is (and was on the .23 radio) and also have kept B26 performance where it was on the .15 radio. Would've been an absolute beast of a performer.

I keep all the radio zips on my phone just for that reason. There don't seem to be any drawbacks to .15 in a eCSFB matured area so I imagine I'll end up back on that before long.

My experience has been that I'm parked on 3G a lot more often in NC.  It is pretty miserable as we still have very slow EVDO speeds and no B26 LTE, even though NV 1.0 is pretty much done in my area.  Until B26 LTE comes online, it will be a pretty crummy experience compared to the .17 radio I was running before.  I may just downgrade the radio to .17 until I go to Orlando this summer, then I will flash the .13 radio back :)

I've noticed that when I went into an area with LTE (rural town) my dBm signal was a bit lower(5ish dBm like people have been saying), but my connection has been better than it used to be. I'm pulling an additional 2-3mbs down than I used to at the same spot, at the same time of day. Granted I don't really need the extra speed since I'm already getting 15mbs+ in the areas I frequent...back to .15 it is!