Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Looks like MX Player is another 4.4.3 casualty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MX Player always does this, they have a hard-coded list of strings of android versions that they support, and it always takes them weeks to add the new one. Dumbest system ever.

• Like 3

Well, good news is, I saw B26 for the first time (I had been on .23 until last night).  Bad news is far more prevalent though.  For months, I've had B25 LTE at home, now after the update, it's parked in EHRPD.  It's not like I had a terrible LTE signal, it was between -97 and -105, and even in my basement I never went below -111 or so.  Oddly enough, if I toggle airplane mode, it'll pick up LTE again and stay there for a while, then inexplicably I'll look down and it'll have toggled back.

Also, I took a 15 mile or so drive this morning, which most times, I have LTE for all of.  I literally didn't have it for one second of the drive, and when I was at my destination, I was able to toggle airplane mode to get it, but it was a bit weaker than it was before, and went away in short order.

Any ideas why I have to toggle, or anyone else having anything like it?  I think that when it hits, I may flash the OTA over this (I just flashed Boot/system/radio) to see if...I don't know, something random isn't working.

Is SignalCheck granted root access on your device? As others have stated, looks like the FTM update references a change in 4.4.3 that requires root to trigger the shortcut now. I hope to find time to update by the end of this week so I will mess around with it and see what I can do. Most others say its still working in the app but I'm guessing it's a root permissions issue.

-Mike

Well at first it wasn't as I rarely use the Reset Mobile button.  I had to grant it root and it still didn't let me access the engineering screen.  I exited the app completely and started it again to be sure.  Just says not available on this device or something like that.

So after factory restoring to the 4.4.3 image I plugged my phone in overnight while all of my crap reinstalled and synched. I woke up about 7 hours later and my n5 was only at 92%(brightness all the way down). So I figured it was just a slow charge due to all of the background tasks. After being up for an hour, not touching my phone or having it do any background tasks it Stoll was at 91%. I can't seem to get it to charge past 91% still, using the charger and cable provided in a wall outlet. I'm in the process of discharging it completely to see if a full charge cycle helps. Anyone else ever had this issue or have any ideas/tips?

You can't flash the OTA over it if you already upgraded, the ota expects an exact stock of 4.4.2.

I have had very reliable band 41 connection with my nexus 5 using .15, so it's not a hardware problem. Have you tested the nexus 5 and m8 at the same time in the same location?

Well I can't do both simultaneously, however yes I had consistent b41 both at home and work on the m8 (around -90 to -110), however I have yet gotten any b41 on the n5 in the same places at home/work that worked on the m8.

I have yet to drive around and check out other places, and while I have gotten b41 previously on the n5 using radio .15, it was never what I would call consistent, especially compared to the m8 which always just worked by itself without any need to mess with it.

Is it possible the scan times are set too long? So you won't pick up b41 unless you're there for a while?

it may be possible, but that doesn't seem to be making any difference to my device.

I have let it sit idle for half the morning, and also tried putting a load on it streaming about 30 minutes of netflix to see if the network would force it to b41, with no effect.

MX Player always does this, they have a hard-coded list of strings of android versions that they support, and it always takes them weeks to add the new one. Dumbest system ever.

I saw this getting discussed on XDA as well, and I agree with someone's rationale over there. It's probably to prevent floods of "this app doesn't work" when a new Android release comes out that happens to break something.

As a developer, I have learned that many users don't consider upgrading their OS as a factor in something like that, they just go right to Google Play and smack it with a 1-star rating. Even if they ask for help, they often to neglect they recently did an update.

Of course, I guess the knee-jerk complaints will still happen if you just completely block the app from working with new Android versions too.

-Mike

Haven't seen this mentioned yet..

4.4.3 changelog article: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/03/developer-changelog-comprehensive-list-of-all-7454-changes-between-4-4-2-kot49h-through-4-4-3-ktu84l/

A major fix that is listed but I haven't seen mentioned is the problem from 4.4.1-4.4.2 where background services were being inappropriately killed off. That's huge.. probably bigger than the average person realizes. App developers will be happy if this is confirmed to be resolved. This bug is why SignalCheck forces a status bar icon on Android 4.4+.

-Mike

• Like 5

I saw this getting discussed on XDA as well, and I agree with someone's rationale over there. It's probably to prevent floods of "this app doesn't work" when a new Android release comes out that happens to break something.

As a developer, I have learned that many users don't consider upgrading their OS as a factor in something like that, they just go right to Google Play and smack it with a 1-star rating. Even if they ask for help, they often to neglect they recently did an update.

Of course, I guess the knee-jerk complaints will still happen if you just completely block the app from working with new Android versions too.

-Mike

I'd be curious to see the number of 1 star reviews left in your scenerio vs the one MXplayer faces where it just tells you it's unsupported and closes.  I kind of feel like it might be a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing, as you're going to get some either way.

I'd be curious to see the number of 1 star reviews left in your scenerio vs the one MXplayer faces where it just tells you it's unsupported and closes. I kind of feel like it might be a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing, as you're going to get some either way.

Their method is probably the 'better' way, despite increasing frustration for some users. My guess is that the app is updated to support a new OS before most users have access to it -- with Nexus owners being the obvious exception to that rule. And even N5 users will take several weeks to update; I haven't heard of anyone receiving the OTA yet, everyone is sideloading.

At least a "this version of Android isn't supported yet" message clues the user in to what they should be complaining about.. a random force close at startup might not have them consider their OS update is the cause of the problem.

Briefly browsing through the reviews for that app (which I have never used myself), I can see some N5 owners complaining about the 4.4.3 incompatibility, but many left their star ratings intact.

If the developer takes this approach, they just need to make sure they understand that their most technical users who stay on the current edge of technology (seriously, the average person isn't hitting the System Update button, let alone sideloading) will expect app updates quickly after a new OS hits the street.

-Mike

So after factory restoring to the 4.4.3 image I plugged my phone in overnight while all of my crap reinstalled and synched. I woke up about 7 hours later and my n5 was only at 92%(brightness all the way down). So I figured it was just a slow charge due to all of the background tasks. After being up for an hour, not touching my phone or having it do any background tasks it Stoll was at 91%. I can't seem to get it to charge past 91% still, using the charger and cable provided in a wall outlet. I'm in the process of discharging it completely to see if a full charge cycle helps. Anyone else ever had this issue or have any ideas/tips?

have you rebooted and put it back on the charger?

have you rebooted and put it back on the charger?

Yup, I actually did that a few times (that was my initial solution). I even turned it off for an hour and left it on the charger and it didn't charge. I'm only down to 40% so far, my battery just won't drain like it used to-_-'...lol

At least a "this version of Android isn't supported yet" message clues the user in to what they should be complaining about.. a random force close at startup might not have them consider their OS update is the cause of the problem.

Perhaps the best approach would be a message to indicate that this version is not supported, while still leaving the app running instead of preventing any use at all.

• Like 1

Well, good news is, I saw B26 for the first time (I had been on .23 until last night).  Bad news is far more prevalent though.  For months, I've had B25 LTE at home, now after the update, it's parked in EHRPD.  It's not like I had a terrible LTE signal, it was between -97 and -105, and even in my basement I never went below -111 or so.  Oddly enough, if I toggle airplane mode, it'll pick up LTE again and stay there for a while, then inexplicably I'll look down and it'll have toggled back.

Also, I took a 15 mile or so drive this morning, which most times, I have LTE for all of.  I literally didn't have it for one second of the drive, and when I was at my destination, I was able to toggle airplane mode to get it, but it was a bit weaker than it was before, and went away in short order.

Any ideas why I have to toggle, or anyone else having anything like it?  I think that when it hits, I may flash the OTA over this (I just flashed Boot/system/radio) to see if...I don't know, something random isn't working.

You have just described in flawless fashion the issue I have been having with both of my nexus 5 phones. I haven't yet upgraded as I'm waiting for the OTA but what you describe is what I have always inexplicably experienced with this phone since the day I purchased it. A lot of people are reporting similar issues so I don't think we all have defective phones. I hope it's a fixable radio issue. That's the only reason I haven't set this phone on fire.

So is it me or Did I keep root when I flashed over the 4.3.3 zip on XDA? For some reason I thought I would of had to Reflash SU, but didnt have too. I am actually going to give the new setup , .13 included, today in town to see how well it performs in the city/buildings. If I lose b26 inside my work I will be reverting to .15 until b41 arrives lol

The agita in this thread never ceases.  Welcome to another episode of As the World Turns: Days of Our Lives with the Nexus 5.

AJ

• Like 3

So is it me or Did I keep root when I flashed over the 4.3.3 zip on XDA? For some reason I thought I would of had to Reflash SU, but didnt have too. I am actually going to give the new setup , .13 included, today in town to see how well it performs in the city/buildings. If I lose b26 inside my work I will be reverting to .15 until b41 arrives lol

I have yet to see the OTA update.zip or an untouched unrooted stock flashable zip go up yet, so the ROM you flashed from XDA was most likely Pre-rooted, so you didn't have to do anything.

The agita in this thread never ceases. Welcome to another episode of As the World Turns: Days of Our Lives with the Nexus 5.

AJ

ag·i·ta

ˈajiˌtə/

noun

informal

indigestion.

"I ain't a healthy guy! My stomach can't take this agita"

anxiety, stress, or aggravation.

"there will be times when he causes the Democratic leadership some agita"

• Like 1

I have yet to see the OTA update.zip or an untouched unrooted stock flashable zip go up yet, so the ROM you flashed from XDA was most likely Pre-rooted, so you didn't have to do anything.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/flashable-stock-4-4-3-supersu-t2771010

I didn't see where it said the SU package was in the .zip file. It said you had to Flash SU afterwards. Owell, I flashed it, took a while to flash/install. But I have had no bad effects, running ART, Root, and kept all of my apps with no issues yet, Besides a single force close of SCP when Testing its features. 

So far I've having weird (bad) behavior with the new radio. Whereas I normally sit in my office with a -96 Band 25 connection with good speeds, I am being forced to a 3G connection.

Also, when I go up to the top floor in my high rise, and toggle airplane mode, I get a strong band 41 connection for about 30 seconds, and then I'm thrown into 3G, when I know I have a good Band 25 connection up there at least. 

So far not thrilled. I will have to test around town, though, considering that I don't care that much for LTE in my office because I have wifi...

• Like 2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/flashable-stock-4-4-3-supersu-t2771010

I didn't see where it said the SU package was in the .zip file. It said you had to Flash SU afterwards. Owell, I flashed it, took a while to flash/install. But I have had no bad effects, running ART, Root, and kept all of my apps with no issues yet, Besides a single force close of SCP when Testing its features. 

Oh I see what your saying. The most likely case that you have, then, is that SuperSU is in your /data partition, so unless you wiped your data, you would have kept it.

Oh I see what your saying. The most likely case that you have, then, is that SuperSU is in your /data partition, so unless you wiped your data, you would have kept it.

Yep Most likely. I decided Not to wipe data, as I was half asleep and Didn't feel like waiting on backups. Had oral surgery on Friday, and I have been taking hydrocodones like crazy, so I got impatient haha

So far I've having weird (bad) behavior with the new radio. Whereas I normally sit in my office with a -96 Band 25 connection with good speeds, I am being forced to a 3G connection.

Also, when I go up to the top floor in my high rise, and toggle airplane mode, I get a strong band 41 connection for about 30 seconds, and then I'm thrown into 3G, when I know I have a good Band 25 connection up there at least. 

So far not thrilled. I will have to test around town, though, considering that I don't care that much for LTE in my office because I have wifi...

The odd thing is that if toggle airplane mode in my office, I will have an LTE connection at about -96 for abour 3 minutes. Then, without me even touching the phone, I am thrown into 3G mode. Is that some kind of traffic prioritization? Sucks.