Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I just flashed .23 using fastboot, and whereas before I could only get 3g, I'm back on LTE.

I've flashed via fastboot and recovery, and I am stuck on 3G in either situation. 

EDIT: Oops, I see you were referring to .23. Yeah, same result here. 

I am wondering - will 4.4.3 do anything to affect Band 41 and 26 performance on the .15 radio? If not, I find it maddeningly hilarious that I was waiting with bated breath for 6 months for absolutely nothing. :)

• Like 1

If your coming from .23, I don't think you would be unhappy. I think most are upset coming from .15, Once B26 is more prevalent in your market those concerns are going to disappear. 

My biggest gripe is that B26 was great on the .15 radio, but on the .13 radio B26 took a HUGE hit.  I have been flashing back and forth and logging differences, and I can say that in my area B26 took a hit of about 5-8 dBm which really does make a difference in coverage.  It makes it so I don't get LTE for about 8 miles of my daily commute, where I get LTE for all but a mile or two with the .15 radio (lots of -110-118 B26 connections that still work just fine). 

I can deal with the decreased performance on B25 as the .15 radio did tend to hold on to it a little too long.  I was able to get a very useable connection on it with a -118-122 signal so I wish they just kept B26 configured how it was.

By the way, I live and work in areas with B26 everywhere (and without any eCSFB issues).  The .13 radio offers less LTE coverage than the G2 I switched from. 

The nice thing about being a N5 owner is that we have options for our radio.  So while this may seem like a rant or that I don't like the device, that is not the case.  I still love this device, and I will hold out hope that the next radio bumps up performance on B26. 

My priorities are B25 - 1, B26 - 2, B41 - 3. This is the default on 4.4.3, I haven't touched these values.

What did you set yours at in the "edit" menu to get that result?

Set B25 to 0 and everything else to 1.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quick question: How come my SignalCheckPro doesn't show the LTE Band like I've seen on a few screenshots here?

The provider name will appear as "Sprint B25" or "Sprint B26" if the app can reasonably deduce that you are on one of those bands. It shows "Sprint" otherwise; meaning you are either on B25, or the app doesn't have enough information to make a determination.

Samsung tri-band phones can't identify B41 right now, and anything that doesn't show a GCI within the app can't identify B26. I'm still working to improve my methods, but a lot if it lies on the manufacturers to fix problems on their end.

-Mike

Does the nexus 5 have the spark logo like the other tri band phones do when they connect to spark?

Google would not have allowed that, not to mention it would have an effect on the battery.

On .23 I get band 25 consistently.

On .13 I cannot get LTE unless I force it, at which point I get band 26 but lose voice as a result of forcing LTE. I cannot get LTE on .13 when it's set to auto despite driving past the tower where I get excellent LTE reception.

This tower must have an issue with the handoff, as the tower by my home provides bands 25 or 26 depending on what part of my house I'm in, and both are very fast.  Maybe a lot of towers haven't been fully upgraded for Spark devices?

Not sure why this tower, which seems to be favoring band 26, kicks me to 3g every time.  

Edited by goodfellaslxa
  • Like 1

On .23 I getband 25 consistently.

On .13 I cannot get LTE unless I force it, at which point I get band 26.

This tower must have an issue with the handoff.

If the only way your connecting to LTE on B26 is by forcing it, means the tower does not have proper eCSFB in place yet.

Other users just disable B26 all together and that seems to solve the problem.

If the only way your connecting to LTE on B26 is by forcing it, means the tower does not have proper eCSFB in place yet.

Other users just disable B26 all together and that seems to solve the problem.

But he is also saying he cannot get B25 on the tower, where he was getting B25 on the .23 radio.

First time connecting to b26 (I've always been 100% stock)..

Smooth handoffs driving around, never dropped off to 3g.

In building b26 is no better than b25, which is a big disappointment for me.

I still go from 1x to 3g to b25 to b26 in about a 1 foot area. I never know what I'm going to be on. I'm disappointed because I hoped b26 would let me steam the WC.

Try flashing .15, and see if you have any improvement? I think it'll help, and since Tyler has no csfb issues you should get better service and such!

But he is also saying he cannot get B25 on the tower, where he was getting B25 on the .23 radio.

Correct.  I get B25 all day long when using .23.  If I flash to .13, it will only connect to 3g unless I force it to LTE only, at which point I get either B25 or B26 depending on signal strength (as is intended).  The issue is that the .13 radio will not connect to LTE on this tower no matter how strong the signal strength is.  It connect briefly (1 sec.) before jumping to 3g.  This tower has had LTE for almost a year, and has always worked well.

There is either an issue with .13 and some towers, or this tower has not been fully upgraded to be compatible with Spark. This tower never did require me to force LTE, voice calling and LTE have always functioned properly (ie. handing off between the two).

Another nearby tower functions properly. I can get B25 or B26 even with a weak signal. 

I wonder if the version that Sprint in error posted about a while back actually worked well with Spark before it was fixed.

• Like 1

I get B25 and B26 on the .23 radio at most sites.

But my home site has B26 with eCSFB issues(Ericsson market) and no issues with B25. My phone connects to B25 for 1 to 5 secs some times for 2 min then it will go back to 3G it depends on where the phone is.

If it has to go to B26 for any reason it will go back to 3G.

So most issues with .13 radio is B26 eCSFB. I am not saying all is due to eCSFB but some/most are.

I get B25 and B26 on the .23 radio at most sites.

But my home site has B26 with eCSFB issues(Ericsson market) and no issues with B25. My phone connects to B25 for 1 to 5 secs some times for 2 min then it will go back to 3G it depends on where the phone is.

If it has to go to B26 for any reason it will go back to 3G.

So most issues with .13 radio is B26 eCSFB. I am not saying all is due to eCSFB but some/most are.

Is it really possible that the problem is eCSFB even though the phone will stay connected to LTE for sometimes 2 minutes, or even 30 minutes in my case? I thought that if the tower had an eCSFB issue, the phone would connect for only a split second, and then go over the 3G immediately.

How can I force LTE only mode with the latest version of signal check pro? The layout changed and I can't seem to find the phone info screen with the drop down menu to set LTE only mode.

*#*#4636#*#*

Well I am on .15 again lol. My phone refused to drop the -130dBm B41 signal in Publix and wasn't usable. Flashed .15 in store and was on a great B25 signal.

Well I am on .15 again lol. My phone refused to drop the -130dBm B41 signal in Publix and wasn't usable. Flashed .15 in store and was on a great B25 signal.

How are you flashing the radio.img? Can you flash it using a custom recovery (I use CWM), or do you have a flashable .zip file?