Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

How are you flashing the radio.img? Can you flash it using a custom recovery (I use CWM), or do you have a flashable .zip file?

The zips for all radios that you can flash via a custom recovery are found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/modem-nexus-5-flashable-modems-efs-t2514095

• Like 1

How can I force LTE only mode with the latest version of signal check pro? The layout changed and I can't seem to find the phone info screen with the drop down menu to set LTE only mode.

Nothing should've changed within the app; it's under System Shortcuts > Radio Info. Or like Tim said, the dialer code is *#*#4636#*#* and then select Phone Info.

-Mike

Cool! Already got the OTA download notification. Of course I'm rooted, so I'll do it later. But I think this is the fastest any of my nexii have ever gotten the OTA from announcement.

I have a question for those of you that frequently visit XDA.

If I recall correctly, the .15 radio for the N5 was never officially released, correct?  Didn't the N5 come out of the box with .17?

How did we end up getting the .12, .13 (old one, not 2.xxxx), and .15 radios on XDA?  I only ask because I am wondering if via a leak or anything like that, if we could end up getting one of the other radios they had tested before the new .13 radio.

Well after driving around so more with the .13 radio, I went into a fringe LTE area, or what I thought was a fringe area and it was picking up B41 towers like crazy.  I was watching it switch between them as I drove. Finally once I got to where I was going I was on 3G, which is pretty typical for the area I was at. This area doesn't really have any B26 towers ready,or they were just outside the zone for .13 to pick up. 

I then drove into a more LTE friendly area and held LTE the whole time.  I even discovered a tower that only had B25 and B26 last week not has B41, so I was able to grab all three bands from that tower.  So it appears if your area has at least B25 and B26 running it should hold onto that LTE.  I also have a feeling, at least in my area that they haven't really calibrated B26 yet on any of the towers and hoping that the B26 range goes a little further.

So far what I have noticed with .13 and pretty much reiterates what others have said, the signal levels read higher or lower depending on how you view it.  For example, if I was pulling -.90 dBm with .15, I am now pulling -.95 to -.100 dBm's. If I ended up stuck on 3G and I was in an area where I know I could pull LTE a simple airplane toggle or SignalCheck Pro data reset would reconnect me to LTE.  I will probably stick with this radio for now, but again if I am out somewhere it is being weird I can always flash back to the .15 radio using CMW recovery.

How are you flashing the radio.img? Can you flash it using a custom recovery (I use CWM), or do you have a flashable .zip file?

Using one of the flash able zips posted on XDA. I keep all of them available go me to flash as needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, the .15 radio for the N5 was never officially released, correct? Didn't the N5 come out of the box with .17?

How did we end up getting the .12, .13 (old one, not 2.xxxx), and .15 radios on XDA? I only ask because I am wondering if via a leak or anything like that, if we could end up getting one of the other radios they had tested before the new .13 radio.

Its actually 1.13 all the other radios were 0.15, 0.17, and 0.23

If I'm rooted running Franco kernel, can I take the ota? I really don't care about a factory wipe because I don't keep any important data on that phone. It's just a backup phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8

If I recall correctly, the .15 radio for the N5 was never officially released, correct? Didn't the N5 come out of the box with .17?

How did we end up getting the .12, .13 (old one, not 2.xxxx), and .15 radios on XDA? I only ask because I am wondering if via a leak or anything like that, if we could end up getting one of the other radios they had tested before the new .13 radio.

I believe it was from the prerelease of KitKat when it was called key-lime pie. Someone had bought an n5 online with it and dumped all the files different from released KitKat version to XDA.

If I'm rooted running Franco kernel, can I take the ota? I really don't care about a factory wipe because I don't keep any important data on that phone. It's just a backup phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8

No you can't, it has to be completely unmodified or it'll fail. Just flash the factory image(its the simplest way if you're modified).

Its actually 1.13 all the other radios were 0.15, 0.17, and 0.23

I am talking about these 3:

M8974A-1.0.25.0.12

M8974A-1.0.25.0.13

M8974A-1.0.25.0.15

I thought none of these were ever "officially" released.

I know this is the new one: M8974A-2.0.50.1.13

There was an "old" .13 and then also the "new" .13.

• Like 2

Since the update I am seeing google play services causing excessive wakelocks, 8hrs on battery with 53m of "keepawake".

My data has been really stable since the update and probably performing better than before.

I don't have anything to compare to but I'm in a spark area and have been connecting to B41 pretty consistently.

A question for those much smarter than I.  Is there a way that someone who is familiar with radios could dive into the new .13 radio and decipher what change was made to enable spark?  Could this be implemented into a previous radio?  I know this would probably not be an easy task, but it was a thought I had earlier.  

A question for those much smarter than I. Is there a way that someone who is familiar with radios could dive into the new .13 radio and decipher what change was made to enable spark? Could this be implemented into a previous radio? I know this would probably not be an easy task, but it was a thought I had earlier.

Probably best to find and ask some of the Cyanogenmod developers who have worked on these issues in the past.

Yeah the OTA didn't take w mine, root and .15 radio. Obviously, I assumed it would hang up. It downloaded. Upon re-boot it just opened twrp and I really didn't know what to do from there so hit the reboot option and nothin' changed.

Again just for those of us not side loading, which I guess I will be doing as soon as I find the simplest way to do. :)

I am talking about these 3:

M8974A-1.0.25.0.12

M8974A-1.0.25.0.13

M8974A-1.0.25.0.15

I thought none of these were ever "officially" released.

I know this is the new one: M8974A-2.0.50.1.13

There was an "old" .13 and then also the "new" .13.

Sorry I thought you was asking why the number went down after .23.

I probably wrong but I thought most of those were posted by Qualcomm somewhere.

The only place I have found basebands posted other than the released .17 and .23 versions was autoprime's thread on XDA.. I didn't dig through all 815 posts to see where he collected them from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/modem-nexus-5-flashable-modems-efs-t2514095

Since the update I am seeing google play services causing excessive wakelocks, 8hrs on battery with 53m of "keepawake".

Have you tried rebooting? After an update, it's normal to see increased activity from some of the Google background services as components are silently updated. But I wouldn't expect it to exceed 8 hours.

-Mike

Try flashing .15, and see if you have any improvement? I think it'll help, and since Tyler has no csfb issues you should get better service and such!

which OS is this from? I need to find a good write up on these radios so I can do my homework on what the pros and cons of each one are. The main metros I'm in are Houston/Austin/Tyler.

which OS is this from? I need to find a good write up on these radios so I can do my homework on what the pros and cons of each one are. The main metros I'm in are Houston/Austin/Tyler.

.15 was pre nexus 5 release baseband. Its major con is connecting to sites without csfb, hence missed calls/text. But with Google voice integrated in my number I circumvented that problem by using mo+. Received text and calls while in sites lacking csfb. Tyler is finished so no issues there. I had no issues in Austin or Dallas on .15, Houston should be similar. The .15 will give you a lower dBm reading keeping you on LTE longer , even at 1mbps at fringe -120 it can load faster than evdo. Honestly keep .15, and 1.13 on your phone so you can flash via recovery if you don't like one/ test it out.