Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

which OS is this from? I need to find a good write up on these radios so I can do my homework on what the pros and cons of each one are. The main metros I'm in are Houston/Austin/Tyler.

.15 is from the beta of KitKat (when it was called key lime pie). .15 is the best strength, but ignores the need for ecsfb/csfb, .17 is next best but requires ecsfb/csfb, then .23 and .13(new) seem to be tied with regards to LTE with .13 being the best on 3g. This is just based off the 100ish pages of that thread if read and what everyone has been saying about the new radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Anyone have the setting.db file from /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/  i messed up a setting, and it's on bootloop

nevermind fixed via twrp

A question for those much smarter than I.  Is there a way that someone who is familiar with radios could dive into the new .13 radio and decipher what change was made to enable spark?  Could this be implemented into a previous radio?  I know this would probably not be an easy task, but it was a thought I had earlier.  

It's most likely not possible since the radio updates are in binary form, whereas things like AOSP based ROMs like CyanodenMod and kernels like Franco's kernel or the kernel page from Samsung, http://opensource.samsung.com/ are actual source code. That's why ROM developers love it when Samsung and other OEMs release their kernel source as soon as possible. It makes it easier to see what changes have been made so that they can easily change CyanogenMod, Slim ROMs, and put up modified TouchWiz/Sense/etc. kernels. Radios are never released in code form because they usually have some proprietary code specific to the radio/modem that the phone is using, so it's nearly impossible to reverse engineer what's in the radio.

.15 is from the beta of KitKat (when it was called key lime pie). .15 is the best strength, but ignores the need for ecsfb/csfb, .17 is next best but requires ecsfb/csfb, then .23 and .13(new) seem to be tied with regards to LTE with .13 being the best on 3g. This is just based off the 100ish pages of that thread if read and what everyone has been saying about the new radio.

.15 inflates your readings by 5 - 8 dBm, resulting in you hanging onto fringe signals too long, and preventing proper handoffs to B26 (unless initiated by the network). 

• Like 4

.15 inflates your readings by 5 - 8 dBm, resulting in you hanging onto fringe signals too long, and preventing proper handoffs to B26 (unless initiated by the network).

Hey my -110dbm to -125dbm signals are still pulling me at least a few mb's down so I'm happy with them until b26 shows up more in my area(or I move to an area that has it). I flash back and forth depending on if I'm at home or going out and about lol.

• Like 1

Have you tried rebooting? After an update, it's normal to see increased activity from some of the Google background services as components are silently updated. But I wouldn't expect it to exceed 8 hours.

-Mike

Tried several reboots, figured it was rebuilding usage profiles of some sort with no luck.  Disabling location services and then turning it back on seems to have resolved it.

Well on a positive note, I did not get dropped to 3g on the way home tonight, perhaps they are getting the lead out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hey my -110dbm to -125dbm signals are still pulling me at least a few mb's down so I'm happy with them until b26 shows up more in my area(or I move to an area that has it). I flash back and forth depending on if I'm at home or going out and about lol.

I concur with this... It works better for me. Plain and simple.

The testings..

Subjects!

The N5 on LTE only mode I assume?

I switched back to my G2 for a comparison of B25 and B26 with my N5 on the .13 radio.

As I expected, the G2 is probably about the same now on B25 and a little better on B26. A bit of a shame, the N5 was so strong on B26 with the .15 radio.

I haven't had an issue being handed off from b25 to b26, as .15 keeps me on b26 more than b25.

I haven't had an issue being handed off from b25 to b26, as .15 keeps me on b26 more than b25.

It doesn't keep you from moving to B26, but it's not doing it right. If you're staying on B26 a lot, then that is network initiated. The .15 radio will keep you on B25 too long from a pure signal standpoint. 

It doesn't keep you from moving to B26, but it's not doing it right. If you're staying on B26 a lot, then that is network initiated. The .15 radio will keep you on B25 too long from a pure signal standpoint.

Yeah I've never had that issue. But if you get good b25 at fringe signal, it keeps b26 free for those who need it farther out. But even when i have a day when I'm on b25, I get shifted over to b26 around -105 or so and personally never had that issue arise. Now in areas where the new us needed no b25/b26 signal to get b41, it did hurt them.

Been parked on B41 all afternoon/evening. Left the house at 4 been at work since. I have no complaints on the data side. I do however do not get calls on LTE in certain areas of town (San Antonio). I had my phone swapped which did not fix the problem. Kinda frustrating.

Edited by flyer8493

Anyone here still not getting voicemail notifications?

I asked this same question on release day with ZERO replies.  Mine is still not working.  I came from an EVO 4G LTE with Visual Voice Mail, which I believe is a big part of the problem.  Sprint told me they were opening a support ticket when I called.  Still no phone call back from Sprint regarding the issue.  I'm calling back and escalating tomorrow.

I asked this same question on release day with ZERO replies.  Mine is still not working.  I came from an EVO 4G LTE with Visual Voice Mail, which I believe is a big part of the problem.  Sprint told me they were opening a support ticket when I called.  Still no phone call back from Sprint regarding the issue.  I'm calling back and escalating tomorrow.

I don't use Sprint voicemail, I use Google Voice, so can't help you guys there.

After spending another day with the update, I'm experiencing the same problems as many others. Most of the time I sit camped on 3G, resetting connection I will hit band 25 LTE and be dropped back to 3G a few minutes later. It feels like Syracuse was 6-8 months ago before they had more than a few towers broadcasting LTE, and definitely not like a launched city. So far it's looking like I'll be going back to one of the older modems but I'll give it to the end of the week.

After spending another day with the update, I'm experiencing the same problems as many others. Most of the time I sit camped on 3G, resetting connection I will hit band 25 LTE and be dropped back to 3G a few minutes later. It feels like Syracuse was 6-8 months ago before they had more than a few towers broadcasting LTE, and definitely not like a launched city. So far it's looking like I'll be going back to one of the older modems but I'll give it to the end of the week.

I hope that all of you who are having the issues with failing to hold a LTE will report back if that changes with time. I don't have your patience; I'm back on the .15  modem.

• Like 1

I hope that all of you who are having the issues with failing to hold a LTE will report back if that changes with time. I don't have your patience; I'm back on the .15  modem.

Ha, me as well.  Planning to flash back to .13 from time to time to check it out, or try giving a new radio in whatever future update a fair shake.

I went to the Twins game today, and man, what a pain.  All the way there my phone was staunchly sitting in 3G, through downtown Minneapolis and everything.  First two innings of the game, it was too.  Airplane toggled, and was on B41, pulling down roughly 48 megabits/s.  However, when I went to the concession stand, it dropped back to 3G and stayed there.  Flashed .15 in the 6th, and dropped to 3G for roughly 5 minutes one time the entire rest of the night/way home, taking exactly the same route back.

So, maybe I have some weird hardware issue with THIS particular software, or maybe it's some crazy problem with the network where it doesn't want me to be on LTE ever, but for me, .13 is just not a move in the right direction atm.

Ha, me as well.  Planning to flash back to .13 from time to time to check it out, or try giving a new radio in whatever future update a fair shake.

I went to the Twins game today, and man, what a pain.  All the way there my phone was staunchly sitting in 3G, through downtown Minneapolis and everything.  First two innings of the game, it was too.  Airplane toggled, and was on B41, pulling down roughly 48 megabits/s.  However, when I went to the concession stand, it dropped back to 3G and stayed there.  Flashed .15 in the 6th, and dropped to 3G for roughly 5 minutes one time the entire rest of the night/way home, taking exactly the same route back.

So, maybe I have some weird hardware issue with THIS particular software, or maybe it's some crazy problem with the network where it doesn't want me to be on LTE ever, but for me, .13 is just not a move in the right direction atm.

I just don't see how Sprint can let this sit for a while. This has taken out a ton of LTE that we already had. Regular users will have no idea how to get back to an older radio.

It's always possible, though, that there aren't enough "regular" Nexus 5 users out there to make a difference.

I just don't see how Sprint can let this sit for a while. This has taken out a ton of LTE that we already had. Regular users will have no idea how to get back to an older radio.

It's always possible, though, that there aren't enough "regular" Nexus 5 users out there to make a difference.

I worry that Sprint won't have the clout to fix it with Google. Either that or the voice of s4gru members who are actually in the know how about the real issues will not be heard by Sprint.

I worry that Sprint won't have the clout to fix it with Google. Either that or the voice of s4gru members who are actually in the know how about the real issues will not be heard by Sprint.

If you accept that the radio has "been done" for a whlie (based on the testing @ a Nascar event months ago) as far as Sprint was concerned, and that it's Google that has final word on the hitting the send button (clearly), then I too worry about that.  Of course, if there was a time of year to be optimistic about a new update, I/O is it, so...

Come to think of it, I guess I'm a *little* unclear on how the radio work is done.  Does Sprint do their portion and submit it to Google (along with ATT/TMob), does LG do it, does Google do it all in house, Qualcomm, ???

If you accept that the radio has "been done" for a whlie (based on the testing @ a Nascar event months ago) as far as Sprint was concerned, and that it's Google that has final word on the hitting the send button (clearly), then I too worry about that.  Of course, if there was a time of year to be optimistic about a new update, I/O is it, so...

Come to think of it, I guess I'm a *little* unclear on how the radio work is done.  Does Sprint do their portion and submit it to Google (along with ATT/TMob), does LG do it, does Google do it all in house, Qualcomm, ???

I want to say LG engineers code the baseband with some help from Qualcomm. And honestly since the nexus out performed the G2 on RF performance, it could have been a move on LG's part to lower RF performance, in order to make the G2, or G3 look more appealing. Think if you live in a fringe area and after an update you lose some bars. You think well maybe I will just get a new phone, cause most likely it'll be out of warranty by the time they realize it, so they will go buy a new phone, and with easy pay that'll happen yearly now. It is in no way good business sense to build a product that is the best and will last forever, because you won't get that person to buy again, because the first never wore. So through subtle updates manufacturer's can slowly degrade performance enough to make it look great but make it where the newer model looks appealing. In a sense it could be what is happening here.