Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

OMG B26. 

will have to drive around and see the consistency. I care way more about a consitent LTE signal at decent speeds (3MB+) than I do about 15-60MB)

You actually getting b26? After the update in Tyler b26 is what .15 b25 was. It could just one of those things that varies from area to area. But here .13 sucked. .15 or .17 gave me most consistent.
  • Like 1

I flashed boot.img, system.img, and the radio via fastboot. So, I believe I am on the full 4.4.3, but who knows. That's why I asked Lake56 the same thing above.

there are 4 or 5 that need flashed via fastboot from the factory image;

bootloader-hammerhead.img

(reboot bootloader)

radio-hammerhead.img

(reboot bootloader)

(then inside the image-hammerhead zip)

boot.img

system.img

optionally 

recovery.img (if you want the stock recovery)

fastboot erase cache

fastboot format cache

if you did did not get all 5 of those, then you will not be able to take the next OTA (differential update), and will have to again fastboot flash all the individual images.

if you read the update-all.bat file, its very apparent how to do it, just skip the cache/userdata/recovery as needed.

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-hhz11k.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.1.13.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
## SKIP and unzip this fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-ktu84m.zip
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot format
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (or twrp.img etc)
(if you are flashing twrp, to root; reboot to recovery, tap reboot system, slide to root)
Edited by dedub

there are 4 or 5 that need flashed via fastboot from the factory image;

bootloader-hammerhead.img

(reboot bootloader)

radio-hammerhead.img

(reboot bootloader)

(then inside the image-hammerhead zip)

boot.img

system.img

optionally

recovery.img (if you want the stock recovery)

fastboot erase cache

fastboot format cache

if you did did not get all 5 of those, then you will not be able to take the next OTA (differential update), and will have to again fastboot flash all the individual images.

if you read the update-all.bat file, its very apparent how to do it, just skip the cache/userdata/recovery as needed.

Pretty sure it is the same bootloader that was on 4.4.2. You shouldn't need to flash it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I couldn't get mine to sideload the update until I used the flash all script that comes with the image download. I was able to edit it to stop it from erasing all of my data. Cleared the cache too. Update ran fine then although as expected I did need to re root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

adb tip: If you are going to use adb sideload, the stock recovery doesn't go into sideload mode automatically. Once you're at the screen that says "No command," you have to hold the power button, quickly press "volume up," and release both to get the recovery menu, then select the sideload option. You should then have two lines of text at the bottom of the screen that say that you can now use adb sideload. Which then you can do.

tl;dr version: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-nexus-tablet-kitkat

Also, the full factory image doesn't work on a locked phone. You have to adb sideload the OTA zip, or wait to win the OTA lottery.

What is the new lte band priority with the update (25,26,41)? I had mine changed from before and it did not change with 4.4.3

Mine reads 1, 2, 3, in that order, but I'd already fiddled with mine before the update. However, I had B41 disabled before and it's enabled now, so either the 4.4.3 update or the Data Profile update I did changed that (although I have no way to tell if it changed the priorities).

Here's my experience on the new modem:

As observed my many others, 3G and 1x signal has improved substantially. RSSI improves by at least -8 dBm across the board.

On .15 I would sit happily with around a -103 dBm signal on B41. On .13 I am on the fringe and the device constantly scans for other bands and signal will cut out as it is doing so. I am closer to a Clear B41 site than the nearest NV site.

Performance on B25 decreased marginally. I can get a fringe but usable signal inside my home on .15 but with the new radio I can only connect outdoors.

I do not have any B26 around my home so I have not been able to test this. Tomorrow when I drive to work I go thru some B26 areas so I may flash back to .13 and see how it performs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone else think that the new radio might have algorithms to pick 3G over LTE when it thinks the 3G will offer better speed? I don't think the algorithm is able to take into account band overloading because right now my N5 is occasionally switching to 3G when I have -110 LTE but the 3G spectrum is way overloaded and I get terrible speeds on it. On LTE I only get 2mbps down so it wouldn't surprise me if a crude algorithm thought 3G at -78 could give me better speed albeit in ideal conditions.

What is the new lte band priority with the update (25,26,41)? I had mine changed from before and it did not change with 4.4.3

I came from stock settings, Band 26 and 41 off, and after the update, mine turned into Band 26, on, priority 1, and Band 41, on, Priority 1, so my LTE priorities are B25 - 1, B26 - 2, B41 - 3.

As previously discussed in many different threads on this site, I don't think priority matters. Sprint's towers will move you to whatever Band it thinks you should be on. Even though B41 was Priority 3, I was able to connect to it just fine in the 1 place near work that I know that has it.

Connected to Band 41 for the first time today on an old WiMax site. Unfortunately I was not impressed with the speed or range, probably a half mile and 11.5 down, 1.2 up with full bars. Could be that this is an old site and was never configured properly or never got good backhaul, but honestly the Band 25 over a mile away would've been better. 

Connected to Band 41 for the first time today on an old WiMax site. Unfortunately I was not impressed with the speed or range, probably a half mile and 11.5 down, 1.2 up with full bars. Could be that this is an old site and was never configured properly or never got good backhaul, but honestly the Band 25 over a mile away would've been better. 

As you noted, a lot of legacy WiMax has lame backhaul that's not up to Spark or NV standards. Of course it's also possible you're on a legacy unlimited Clear or other WiMax customer that's hogging most of the shared backhaul.

on my way home, mine tried to connect to something (it never finished), dropped back to 3g and was stuck there until I airplane mode/rebooted.

something is wack with this update, it may be specific to stl area, but something somewhere fubar.

Pretty sure it is the same bootloader that was on 4.4.2. You shouldn't need to flash it.

Well, someone else still on it can check the 4.4.2 bootloader, but the 4.4.3 bootloader is shown has HHZ11k after flashing I'm pretty sure its different.

You actually getting b26? After the update in Tyler b26 is what .15 b25 was. It could just one of those things that varies from area to area. But here .13 sucked. .15 or .17 gave me most consistent.

yup b26 at my apt, which is weird because i'm right under that old grande tower almost. same dbm too..

the real test will be tomorrow at work. 

So after doing a profile/prl update my drive home had no disconnects and smooth handoffs between bands. My n5 was on all 3 at various points, and it was rather seemless. At one point signal check was reporting I was on b41, but I am almost certain it was b25 and the info was off for some reason.

I did a bit more driving around in a different area and got bumped down to 3g and was unable to get back on LTE until I left the area. I never had issues there before strangely enough.

ok so initial thoughts about this new modem....seems to not ave as strong reception as 0.15.  Without moving the phone 0.15 used to lock onto B26 and this modem hops between 3g and LTE

I could not connect to a band 41 tower even sitting right underneath it, which I was always able to get a great signals from on .15. I think I'm going to a factory reinstall and see if that fixes anything.

yup b26 at my apt, which is weird because i'm right under that old grande tower almost. same dbm too..

the real test will be tomorrow at work.

At grande and old Jacksonville I was at -101dbm on b26. Was -92dbm with twice the performance on .15. The .13 radio only gave me 3-4 Mbps, and .15 had 15-20 download in the same spot. I will drive around to test it more

I flashed boot.img, system.img, and the radio via fastboot. So, I believe I am on the full 4.4.3, but who knows. That's why I asked Lake56 the same thing above.

This is what I did as well, and am having strange LTE behavior.

Well, someone else still on it can check the 4.4.2 bootloader, but the 4.4.3 bootloader is shown has HHZ11k after flashing I'm pretty sure its different.

I'm on 4.4.3, did not flash bootloader, so I should still have the 4.4.2 bootloader, no?  Just checked, it's listed as HHZ11k, just like yours.

• Like 1

At grande and old Jacksonville I was at -101dbm on b26. Was -92dbm with twice the performance on .15. The .13 radio only gave me 3-4 Mbps, and .15 had 15-20 download in the same spot. I will drive around to test it more

I've been testing it and I seem to get about 5dBm less on the new modem when compared to flashing back to .15  Now is that worth it over proper band transitions?

Does anyone else think that the new radio might have algorithms to pick 3G over LTE when it thinks the 3G will offer better speed? I don't think the algorithm is able to take into account band overloading because right now my N5 is occasionally switching to 3G when I have -110 LTE but the 3G spectrum is way overloaded and I get terrible speeds on it. On LTE I only get 2mbps down so it wouldn't surprise me if a crude algorithm thought 3G at -78 could give me better speed albeit in ideal conditions.

I think you might be onto something.  So far my initial tests have been the same.  When I was using the .15 radio in my area I would stay solidly on LTE when I would go from my house to the store 5 minutes away.  Now with the .13 radio both before and after I loaded 4.4.3 I noticed that it fell to 3G and stayed there.  I had to toggle airplane mode to get LTE again, and this is me right next to the tower.  Earlier today I was still on 4.4.2 with the .13 radio and it also fell back to 3G and stayed there.  At my house I left it alone and did not toggle airplane mode to see if it would cycle through and see if LTE was available.  I probably waited 30 minutes or more and it still stayed on 3G.  I am pretty close to the tower and have had LTE here for a couple of months.  

So I think there is something with it making 3G the priority, which I think might be a mistake.  I remember seeing a diagram laying out how LTE radios are "supposed" to work, but I can't remember exactly where, but the diagram showed that the radio would seek LTE first and if it couldn't find it then it would fall back and see if 3G was available.  So even if you are driving switching towers, it will look for LTE first and if it finds it, it will lock onto LTE.  This radio seems to seek 3G and then stay there unless you toggle airplane mode.  I will drive around more tomorrow and see if changing the "Preferred Network Type" from Global to "LTE Recommened" and see if that makes a difference.  If it doesn't make a difference then back to .15 I go, because at least around DFW and even in Chicago and Milwaukee when I visited a month ago the .15 worked great at picking up all 3 bands.