Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

A couple of points:
1. no details provided in Neville's announcement.  Just vague talking points.  
2.   Where is this at?  Is it all the former 5G areas or a few???    
All I can say is I hope they provide details on the Earnings call Thursday.   This is a Trainwreck!   
Can someone do a speed test and see what speeds are like now for 5G?    (I don't have 5G nor a 5G phone).   No need if I have no network.  
The SA deployment is nationwide on N71.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/t-mobile-launches-nationwide-5g-standalone-network

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

https://www.shentel.com/news/2020/july/20q2 earnings release

Some notes on this possible acquisition.

So the 90-days after the Sprint/TMobile merger is up.  TMobile and Shentel did not negotiate a new agreement where Shentel would continue as a TMobile affiliate.

T-Mobile has a period of 60 days to purchase the assets of the Shentel's wireless operations at 90% EBV.  This period ends August 31th.  If T-Mobile does not purchase Shentel's wireless assets, Shentel has 60 days to purchase T-Mobile's legacy network and subscribers in Shentel's service area.  If after these 60 days Shentel does not purchase out T-Mobile then T-Mobile must sell or decommission it's network and customers in Shentel's service area.

Now, questions I have:

1.) Would there be reason for T-Mobile to not have purchased Shentel's wireless business out August 1st or the 3rd? Would they wanna wait until the 30th? Since there is no news on T-Mobile making their move is it a higher chance that Shentel's wireless survives this merger?

2.) If Shentel makes it past the 30th, do they have the capital to purchase TMobile's assets and customers?

3.) If Shentel buys T-Mobile out or T-Mobile exists the service area, in both these cases does Shentel get the rights to all of T-Mobile's spectrum portfolio? Only the Sprint spectrum? What about the 800MHz they utilize does that still go to Dish?

4.) What if Shentel expands?  I know they made an agreement with Sprint a while back that gave them the option to expand deep into Eastern KY (possibly via an Appalachian Wireless acquisition maybe?).  If Shentel expands into new service areas will that force T-Mobile out?

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 1

The SA deployment is nationwide on N71.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/t-mobile-launches-nationwide-5g-standalone-network

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

According to that link, the OnePlus 8 supports 5G SA, but it didn't specify the software version required. How would I know if I was connected to 5G SA?

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

https://www.shentel.com/news/2020/july/20q2 earnings release

Some notes on this possible acquisition.

So the 90-days after the Sprint/TMobile merger is up.  TMobile and Shentel did not negotiate a new agreement where Shentel would continue as a TMobile affiliate.

T-Mobile has a period of 60 days to purchase the assets of the Shentel's wireless operations at 90% EBV.  This period ends August 31th.  If T-Mobile does not purchase Shentel's wireless assets, Shentel has 60 days to purchase T-Mobile's legacy network and subscribers in Shentel's service area.  If after these 60 days Shentel does not purchase out T-Mobile then T-Mobile must sell or decommission it's network and customers in Shentel's service area.

1.) Would there be reason for T-Mobile to not have purchased Shentel's wireless business out August 1st or the 3rd? Would they wanna wait until the 30th? Since there is no news on T-Mobile making their move is it a higher chance that Shentel's wireless survives this merger?

2.) If Shentel makes it past the 30th, do they have the capital to purchase TMobile's assets and customers?

Now for spectrum.  If Shentel buys T-Mobile out or T-Mobile exists the service area, in both these cases does Shentel get the rights to all of T-Mobile's spectrum portfolio? Only the Sprint spectrum? What about the 800MHz they utilize?

Then what if Shentel expansion?  I know they made an agreement with Sprint a while back that gave them the option to expand deep into Eastern KY.  If Shentel expands into new service areas will that force T-Mobile out?

All Good Valid Questions.  If I remember correctly, I think T-Mobile has to assist with financing should Shentel want to buy out T-Mobiles assets.  If my memory is good on that point, it might make a difference.

T-Mobile surely has their hands full of issues in the country.  If I were in their shoes, I would be very happy to have Shentel upgrade and manage all assets in the current Shentel area.  Shentel's Sprint network is very very good. They built a network that was better then Sprint was elsewhere.  There is no question that Shentel would do a much better job combining the networks than T-Mobile would.    T-Mobile really needs Shentel to continue their good work. I hope T-Mobile  realizes that.

T-Mobile's network in most of the Shentel territory is not good. Shentel's Sprint network is very very good. Shentel could easily combine them efficiently and have a superior network to anybody else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grabber5.0 said:

According to that link, the OnePlus 8 supports 5G SA, but it didn't specify the software version required. How would I know if I was connected to 5G SA?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/android/oneplus-8/software-updates-oneplus-8

update was released today. no idea on how you would tell you were connected though

• Like 1

I love this stuff:

“Standalone 5G really is the future of wireless connectivity,” said Karri Kuoppamaki, vice president of Technology Development and Strategy at T-Mobile, who noted that SA is what enables the more transformative 5G capabilities like self-driving vehicles, super-charged IoT and real-time translation.

Good luck making money out of IoT. 🤣

Which reminds me, N41 is not included in the 5G SA launch so they have to expend additional time to bring that over. They could not wait until now to connect both n71 and n41 to the SA network? 

Edited by bigsnake49

17 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

I love this stuff:

“Standalone 5G really is the future of wireless connectivity,” said Karri Kuoppamaki, vice president of Technology Development and Strategy at T-Mobile, who noted that SA is what enables the more transformative 5G capabilities like self-driving vehicles, super-charged IoT and real-time translation.

Which reminds me, N41 is not included in the 5G SA launch so they have to expend additional time to bring that over. They could not wait until now to connect both n71 and n41 to the SA network? 

So their SA 5G network is only N71 right now?

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I love this stuff:

The software updates that came to the S20 and OnePlus 8 today include support for n41 standalone in addition to n71 so it may be right around the corner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Good luck making money out of IoT. 

🤣

Why don't you think there isn't any money to be made out of IoT? There's already vending machines, cars/trucks, security systems that require Cellular connectivity. What makes you think the demand isn't there? The automatization of farming/agriculture is going to be huge for IoT.

2 hours ago, greenbastard said:

Why don't you think there isn't any money to be made out of IoT? There's already vending machines, cars/trucks, security systems that require Cellular connectivity. What makes you think the demand isn't there? The automatization of farming/agriculture is going to be huge for IoT.

The US has already automated all of that. There are vey, very few automation efforts that need the low latency of 5g. For example control system scans for Utilities are 3-5 secs. Automated metering  data are cached and only need to be sent at 5 minute intervals. IoT connections are $1-2/month. Automated cars and trucks need precise GPS and collision avoidance  but no cellular connectivity, unless you want to stream audio and video. There's an effort to utilize Cellular V2X over LTE but the technology is way ahead of its time. Let's get the autonomous driving part down before we use V2V or V2N. Plus those applications can be just accommodate by IEEE 802.11p a short range comm protocol.

Edited by bigsnake49

20 hours ago, ericwalton said:

If you end up at t-mobile.com, either by redirect or going their in the first place, and put in your sprint login name, you just get redirected back to sprint.com. What a really dumb thing to do.

It also does redirect me in incognito mode, but not in a normal tab.

For me also.   

1. incognito mode

2. go to www.sprint.com

3. it redirects to   www.t-mobile.com/?src=spr&rdpage=%2F

4. My Account  (pink box in upper-right corner)   |   Login 

5. I put in my Sprint username

6. it redirects to www.sprint.com/en/login.html ...

7. my username is autopopulated.  So it is now waiting for my password

Scott

Ok so when I go into Google and start to type in "Sprint" it indicates an "auto forward page." But when I finish typing out "sprint.com" and tap on it, I'm still taken to the same Sprint page I went to all summer long. Nothing has changed. 

Screenshot_20200805-001057_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-001028_Chrome.jpg

16 minutes ago, JonnygATL said:

Ok so when I go into Google and start to type in "Sprint" it indicates an "auto forward page." But when I finish typing out "sprint.com" and tap on it, I'm still taken to the same Sprint page I went to all summer long. Nothing has changed. 

Screenshot_20200805-001057_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-001028_Chrome.jpg

Maybe New-Tmobile don’t want you 😝

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

The US has already automated all of that. There are vey, very few automation efforts that need the low latency of 5g. For example control system scans for Utilities are 3-5 secs. Automated metering  data are cached and only need to be sent at 5 minute intervals. IoT connections are $1-2/month. Automated cars and trucks need precise GPS and collision avoidance  but no cellular connectivity, unless you want to stream audio and video. There's an effort to utilize Cellular V2X over LTE but the technology is way ahead of its time. Let's get the autonomous driving part down before we use V2V or V2N. Plus those applications can be just accommodate by IEEE 802.11p a short range comm protocol.

IoT doesn't necessarily need 5G. Sure, low latency helps in some scenarios (like remotely controlling heavy machinery), but it's not a deal breaker for most other stuff. There are endless amounts of automation that still needs access to the cloud or servers. 

Screenshot_20200805-001057_Google.thumb.jpg.bf18b3b5896c5382247c1f6a58943e4e.jpg
Screenshot_20200805-001028_Chrome.thumb.jpg.998318ba3952bd65c61a5ec988bc278d.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, this is a good thing. :) But then I worked for Sprint for 27 years, and I'm sad to see the name go away.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2020 at 11:41 AM, red_dog007 said:

4.) What if Shentel expands?  I know they made an agreement with Sprint a while back that gave them the option to expand deep into Eastern KY (possibly via an Appalachian Wireless acquisition maybe?).  If Shentel expands into new service areas will that force T-Mobile out?

I doubt the five telephone companies/cooperatives that co-own Appalachian wireless would ever give it up. It’s their cash cow. App wireless has used government grants and funds whenever possible to build out towers due to operating in a very rural area; yet charge their customers extremely high rates justifying it by saying building towers in said region is expensive. But I wish this wasn’t the case, a Shentel or t-mobile acquisition of App wireless would be fantastic from a user point of view.

21 minutes ago, fizzicsguy said:

I doubt the five telephone companies/cooperatives that co-own Appalachian wireless would ever give it up. It’s their cash cow. App wireless has used government grants and funds whenever possible to build out towers due to operating in a very rural area; yet charge their customers extremely high rates justifying it by saying building towers in said region is expensive. But I wish this wasn’t the case, a Shentel or t-mobile acquisition of App wireless would be fantastic from a user point of view.

They could do a merger rather than an acquisition. Use the AW brand since Sprint will get retired. Tricky part would be coordinating networks/spectrum.

11 hours ago, fizzicsguy said:

Yeah with the optional expansion market it just makes me think that Shentel was/is looking into acquiring AW. 

https://shentel.gcs-web.com/static-files/f7ef759a-3ae4-4089-912e-aef6788ee58d

But I think AW would be screwed, especially now, if Shentel natively expanded into that area. It makes me wonder if this optional area could still be on the table post-merger. I know TMobile started their expansion there but it has been exceptionally slow, omega cheap, and barely even any lowband when they own 700A there.  It doesn't make any sense what so ever.  It's almost like those who designed these sites and allocated the $$ don't know what KY terrain looks like.

• Like 1