Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

That simply isn't true by any stretch of the imagination.  Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Cincinnati, Columbus, Louisville, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Seattle, Dallas, Kansas City, Charlotte ...there are many, many more examples all over the country of great legacy Sprint markets.  Every carrier struggles here and there but to say that band 41 wasn't well and widely deployed in many, many metros across the country is simply untrue. Facts are facts. 

I can honestly say that in Columbus, I didn’t really have any issues with Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

One thing I hope T-Mobile has or will add is DAS at areas of large gatherings, sports venues, expo centers, etc. Sprint has B41 inside the KFC Yum Center but every time I was in there it would be completely unusable. Sprint did not have any kind of DAS inside Rupp Arena or Bridgestone arena when I was in those earlier this year. In both of those my Sprint phone was completely unusable while AT&T and Verizon were fine on the DAS. I switched my Sprint line to T-Mobile after the pandemic had started so I haven't been out to any games or large events yet to compare how T-Mobile performs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mdob07 said:

One thing I hope T-Mobile has or will add is DAS at areas of large gatherings, sports venues, expo centers, etc. Sprint has B41 inside the KFC Yum Center but every time I was in there it would be completely unusable. Sprint did not have any kind of DAS inside Rupp Arena or Bridgestone arena when I was in those earlier this year. In both of those my Sprint phone was completely unusable while AT&T and Verizon were fine on the DAS. I switched my Sprint line to T-Mobile after the pandemic had started so I haven't been out to any games or large events yet to compare how T-Mobile performs. 

Rupp is going thru some upgrades in and around the complex. Maybe they'll add a DAS as part of that process but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

That said my comment regarding widespread band 41 coverage didn't pertain to large indoor venues but to the region at large.  I found band 41 coverage quite good in both Lexington proper as well as Louisville and Nashville.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, greenbastard said:

The fact is that there are more neglected areas than good areas. New York, Las Vegas, KC, Denver were good markets. Everywhere else? Swiss cheese coverage with overloaded B26.

Salt lake/Northern Utah was always decent.. only gripes i had... Needed new towers due to our growth.. they finally right before the merger put one up near me (i wasnt on it just filled a gap)  There are still gaps with TMO, some are the same, some are new (with the merger and combining towers makes me giddy)  But they still NEED a decent amount of new towers on the west side of davis and weber counties (if anyone wanted to look) 

Rarely was i on 26 unless inside or on outskirt coverage areas

• Like 1

Starting to see the new signage on Sprint stores, this one is in Corydon IN. Now I wish I could connect to the magicbox I know is in there. 03b54d33afb879987812afaadcb8abea.jpg2d3a241eaf1fb5a6c8ba59761be000d3.jpg7b5d805677c5a3741d91936788e3bf5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Same thing here at the Enterprise Center. Sprint DAS was completely unusable. I spent one game arguing with Sprint VIA twitter that the shit wasn't working

Once again I am throwing myself at the mercy of those more knowledgeable that I here on S4GRU.
I mentioned in a previous post that I switched to T-Mobile very recently and using my iPhone I can see I'm on a PCI unaccounted for in Cellmapper and I'm getting a very good signal and speeds so my curiosity is getting the better of me. So today I did a little walking tour of the neighborhood and determined the mystery PCI has a radius of about 1 city block. Too big for a Femtocell I think. Well at the area of highest signal strength (full bars) I found one if these on top of a street light. Might this be my mystery device? There is no apparent data connection just power. 

IMG_6957.JPG

• Like 1

Once again I am throwing myself at the mercy of those more knowledgeable that I here on S4GRU.
I mentioned in a previous post that I switched to T-Mobile very recently and using my iPhone I can see I'm on a PCI unaccounted for in Cellmapper and I'm getting a very good signal and speeds so my curiosity is getting the better of me. So today I did a little walking tour of the neighborhood and determined the mystery PCI has a radius of about 1 city block. Too big for a Femtocell I think. Well at the area of highest signal strength (full bars) I found one if these on top of a street light. Might this be my mystery device? There is no apparent data connection just power. 
IMG_6957.thumb.JPG.09e6fe82b024c7a1dd571c7f6f2b5f6a.JPG
That's for cops nothing to do with cellular

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just now, Tengen31 said:

That's for cops nothing to do with cellular

So my mystery continues. Tnx.

• Like 1

So, I got an email today about the Call Screener app now being free with TMo's support (not sure if the app was updated behind the scenes or not prior to this).  Anyone out there that has traditionally used the Hiya app that can give their impression/review of the Sprint/Tmo app compared to Hiya? I've always used Hiya to date and been fairly happy with it.

• Like 1

My first LTE B41 sighting - I was on 12th St NE, in the Brookland neighborhood of Washington, DC.  I didn't get a chance to check the tower itself, but I am pretty sure I got a glimpse of B41 panels when I was riding my bike past this tower the other day.  Looks like no CA, but it's a nice relief from the typical congestion in this part of the city.

Capture.PNG

yfpthcs171e51.jpg

rvoe3cs171e51.jpg

exhq9cs171e51.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Hopefully they do B25+41 CA at some point

Yeah, will be interesting to see what they do with that.  I haven’t seen any indication that they’re slimming down Sprint B25 here to widen T-Mobile B2, but I’m not even sure if the carriers are contiguous. We’ve only got a 5x5 slice of T-Mo LTE to begin with. 

• Like 1

Yeah, will be interesting to see what they do with that.  I haven’t seen any indication that they’re slimming down Sprint B25 here to widen T-Mobile B2, but I’m not even sure if the carriers are contiguous. We’ve only got a 5x5 slice of T-Mo LTE to begin with. 
Spectrum Omega shows them holding A block, E+F then G

20 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Spectrum Omega shows them holding A block, E+F then G

A question I've always had about Spectrum Omega... when I click on the "A" block of PCS in the MTA which DC is a part of, it shows basically all the carriers, all with overlapping assignments. 

US Cellular (1850-1855, 1930-1935)
Verizon Wireless (1860-1865, 1940-1945)
T-Mobile (1860-1862.5, 1940-1942.5)
T-Mobile (1942.5-1945, 1862.5-1865)
T-Mobile (1855-1860, 1850-1865, 1930-1945, 1935-1940, 1855-1865, 1935-1945, 1850-1860, 1930-1940)
AT&T (1860-1865, 1940-1945)
T-Mobile (1850-1855, 1930-1935)

I assume these are subdivided geographically, but is there a good source for how that's done?

Edit: I answered my own question here.  For some reason, the ULS links on Spectrum Omega don't work in my browser, but when I copied and pasted them, they did.

Looks like none of the legacy Sprint PCS holdings are contiguous with Legacy T-Mo PCS holdings around here.

A 1850-1865, 1930-1945 (Legacy Sprint) - 15x15
E 1885-1890, 1965-1960 (Legacy T-Mobile) - 5x5
F 1890-1895, 1970-1975 (Legacy T-Mobile) - 5x5
G 1910-1915, 1990-1995 (Legacy Sprint) - 5x5

On 7/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, mdob07 said:

Found this just across the river from Louisville today. 

1ISP5k4l.jpg

I was able to go back to this area today to track this site down and do some testing. 

wID0b0Hl.jpg

kXfovRjl.jpg

6biKGB6m.jpg

The site is also broadcasting a 20MHz B41 carrier, using a different GCI than the rest of the LTE bands on the site. B2/B66 are on 0064C0xx, B41 LTE was broadcasting on 01A539xx.

y4e3701.png

wUGpV3Kl.jpg

B41 only speedtest:

pgnMYU9m.jpg

Some other notes, this site is only mapped as 2/4(66) on cellmapper. I didn't think to test but I don't see the typical 600MHz equipment on this site. Not sure why they wouldn't have added that as well, not sure if B12 is present or not either. I did see other B41 neighbors with PCIs different than the 3 associated with this site, so likely there is another site somewhere nearby. B41 LTE did not aggregate with anything else, I had to force my phone to B41 only to connect to it. No B41/N41 at least yet. 

• Like 3

I was able to go back to this area today to track this site down and do some testing. 
wID0b0Hl.jpg
kXfovRjl.jpg
6biKGB6m.jpg
The site is also broadcasting a 20MHz B41 carrier, using a different GCI than the rest of the LTE bands on the site. B2/B66 are on 0064C0xx, B41 LTE was broadcasting on 01A539xx.
y4e3701.png
wUGpV3Kl.jpg
B41 only speedtest:
pgnMYU9m.jpg
Some other notes, this site is only mapped as 2/4(66) on cellmapper. I didn't think to test but I don't see the typical 600MHz equipment on this site. Not sure why they wouldn't have added that as well, not sure if B12 is present or not either. I did see other B41 neighbors with PCIs different than the 3 associated with this site, so likely there is another site somewhere nearby. B41 LTE did not aggregate with anything else, I had to force my phone to B41 only to connect to it. No B41/N41 at least yet. 

Hopefully down the road TMO does B25+41. Sprint was starting to do that

• Like 1

With the Sprint brand going bye-bye August 2nd, does anyone thing there will be any network related changes on that day also?  Maybe something like all Sprint phones being moved to the T-Mobile network that day also?

With the Sprint brand going bye-bye August 2nd, does anyone thing there will be any network related changes on that day also?  Maybe something like all Sprint phones being moved to the T-Mobile network that day also?
Sprint phones will be on the TMO network at some point. The sprint brand might not actually be going away but the network will be Tmobiles

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, clbowens said:

I sure hope not.  The T-Mobile network is not ready for it.

- Trip

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Trip said:

I sure hope not.  The T-Mobile network is not ready for it.

- Trip

All I ask is that my LG V60 be given access to the T-Mobile 5G network