Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

3 hours ago, Trip said:

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/t-mobile-is-dragging-its-feet-with-5g-buildout-tower-cos-warn/d/d-id/762865

On the one hand, I feel like this comports with what I'm seeing; that the new 2.5 GHz antennas are not popping up as quickly as I would have thought.  On the other hand, a lot of the gear in the big cities is on rooftops, rather than towers.  While some rooftops are contracted to American Tower or Crown Castle, I have to imagine a decent number of them cut out the middle man entirely and work directly with the carriers.  My home site on Sprint appears to have the new T-Mobile antenna, and it's on a high-rise.  The other site I've seen around here with the new 2.5 GHz antenna is owned by Crown Castle. 

- Trip

I have not seen any improvements around here either. Granted we are not a priority market, but...I have been critical of T-Mobile's strategy of emphasizing 5G to the detriment of LTE from the beginning. I was expecting a smoother integration experience on a market to market basis. They have had about 3 years to plan and execute this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

They have had about 3 years to plan and execute this.

While the planning and backend office has had plenty of time to work, the tower climbing companies have only just begun working. I will say from what I've seen, this extended period of time to plan the paperwork has only resulted in the distribution of outdated plans and short supply of required hardware. Call it a case of too much of a good thing having around 2 years to write up plans and prepare. Just know that work is ongoing and ramping up as best it can with several Corona guidance rules in place

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

While the planning and backend office has had plenty of time to work, the tower climbing companies have only just begun working. I will say from what I've seen, this extended period of time to plan the paperwork has only resulted in the distribution of outdated plans and short supply of required hardware. Call it a case of too much of a good thing having around 2 years to write up plans and prepare. Just know that work is ongoing and ramping up as best it can with several Corona guidance rules in place

Then T-Mobile, especially Neville Ray, needs to pull back on all the name calling (of the other carriers) and mis-advertising!  "We have more spectrum than anyone else"!   Great.  Do you use any of it?!   After the FCC Auctions, that advantage will go away.   5 months.     WAY to much trumpeting of this great 5G Nation-wide network when it's actually slower than the LTE network.      This misguidence and advertiing of the Now Network, didn't work for Sprint and this will not work for T-Mobile.    It is a great way of making new customers angry and leave and never come back.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

I hear excuses. You can roam on each other's network but they set the roaming threshold too high. You have to completely lose service before you roam on the other network. Band 25/2 is a total mess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Dish acquired Ting. That's another 286,000 people on the Dish network.

https://ting.com/blog/ting-mobile-its-a-dish-thing/

Ting did a really good job back when I was on them.  The customer service was the best I have ever encountered.

Note, they are actually post paid, unless they changed recently.  They bill you at the end of the month for your Actual usage.  Only problem for me was data cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I hear excuses. You can roam on each other's network but they set the roaming threshold too high. You have to completely lose service before you roam on the other network. Band 25/2 is a total mess.

I agree Snake.   I have weak service down to 122db on a Sprint tower 2.5 miles away and it will NEVER pick up a T-Mobile tower 1/2 mile away.     I have yet to see anything other than old Sprint.     IMO, so far, this whole thing is botched up.   It leads me to believe the core T-Mobile network cannot handle any more people on it here.   No room for growth until they shut everything down and re-farm onto their towers.   So much for 2.5 years of planning.   

1 hour ago, JonnygATL said:

Still the same as it's been all summer.  Screenshot attached. That has  been the same Sprint landing page for months. 

Screenshot_20200803-152334_Chrome.jpg

Me too  ...  Sprint.com still goes to Sprint for me.      No biggie... don't really care.    

You have to show up in Incognito to get the redirect.

As for network stuff, T-Mobile does indeed not have enough capacity on their network as it stands right now to pull everyone from Sprint over. Sprint has more capacity per customer basically anywhere B41 is deployed.

The most TMo can do is allow roaming, and encourage Sprint customers to buy 5G phones, which will use T-Mobile by default. They pushed 1MM customers over several weeks ago and my guess is that there's a reason they haven't done so again.

They need another 6 months to get n71 where it needs to be deployment-wise...and get n41 out to more markets...to drop the load enough on TMo LTE to move over another chunk of 4G-only customers from Sprint. It's a delicate dance because you have to refarm PCS 5 MHz at a time, and do so only after there are few enough Sprint customers that the post-refarm experience isn't horrible.

• Like 3

If you end up at t-mobile.com, either by redirect or going their in the first place, and put in your sprint login name, you just get redirected back to sprint.com. What a really dumb thing to do.

It also does redirect me in incognito mode, but not in a normal tab.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ericwalton said:

If you end up at t-mobile.com, either by redirect or going their in the first place, and put in your sprint login name, you just get redirected back to sprint.com. What a really dumb thing to do.

Especially considering it's possible that there are customers (like me) who have the same login ID for Sprint and T-Mobile.  Now there's no easy way for me to access my Sprint account without going to a bookmarked page.

If anyone else has this issue, here's the legacy Sprint login page: https://www.sprint.com/en/login.html

• Like 1

I'm very curious to see the ping times and overall performance.
Standalone n71 sounds like a nightmare

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A couple of points:

1. no details provided in Neville's announcement.  Just vague talking points.  

2.   Where is this at?  Is it all the former 5G areas or a few???    

All I can say is I hope they provide details on the Earnings call Thursday.   This is a Trainwreck!   

Can someone do a speed test and see what speeds are like now for 5G?    (I don't have 5G nor a 5G phone).   No need if I have no network.  

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

Standalone n71 sounds like a nightmare

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

The main benefit is increased range because it doesn't need an anchor band anymore and lower ping times thanks to the new 5G core. Eventually it'll be aggregated with other NR bands like n41. This will likely happen next year. 

1 hour ago, clbowens said:

For the SA 5G, do their calls go over 5G also?

Not right now, no. In the future they will.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

A couple of points:

1. no details provided in Neville's announcement.  Just vague talking points.  

2.   Where is this at?  Is it all the former 5G areas or a few???    

All I can say is I hope they provide details on the Earnings call Thursday.   This is a Trainwreck!   

Can someone do a speed test and see what speeds are like now for 5G?    (I don't have 5G nor a 5G phone).   No need if I have no network.  

They claim it's nationwide. It's supposed to just be a software update to enable it.

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

They claim it's nationwide. It's supposed to just be a software update to enable it.

Have you tried it?    (Tested)???   Let us know if it made a difference for you.