Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

8 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

On a related note, I did some diving the through the FCC documents for the AEHC. I couldn't find any that indicated they validated it for NR100+NR90 (just NR100+NR50+LTE20+LTE20). This makes me think we will only see the NR100+NR90 channels in Ericsson markets. 

1 hour ago, iansltx said:

100+80 works in Nokia markets though (e.g. here).

Yeah I was going to say, we have 100+80 in Nokia markets. We also have 20+20, 30+20, 40+20, 40+40, 50+20, 50+30, 50+40, 80+20, 80+40, 100+40. All NR41 combinations that I have seen in Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri.

• Like 1

I posted this in the Nebraska Premier thread last week, but just wanted to share in this thread the progress that T-Mobile has made in filling in the great coverage gap known as Nebraska. Between late last year and this year, they have added 28 new expansion sites filling in the coverage hole, plus 11 Sprint site conversions in eastern Nebraska and far western Iowa. Notably, in the last month n41 coverage was added on over a dozen expansion sites in western Nebraska that were added to the network last year.

c0EVLjG.png

For comparison, here is the very first map that I created in October of 2022 after we noted expansion sites outside of Sprint conversion in Lincoln and Omaha. It doesn't show any western parts of the state, but just know there was nothing besides roaming coverage and a little B12 coverage leaking down from South Dakota to the west of Valentine, NE.

zowsTQM.png

• Like 8

T-Mobile is mentioned in the second to last paragraph.

"SpaceX is aiming to launch the cellular Starlink system for T-Mobile customers later this year, first to support text messages. But the company still needs full approval from the FCC to operate the cellular Starlink technology commercially. "

FCC Lets SpaceX Expand Testing of Cellular Starlink for Phones

• Like 4

On the Florida Atlantic coast this weekend and have watched VZW and T-Mobile. FLL had VZW mmW in Terminal 4. T-Mobile has decent (not perfect) n41 coverage with 100+50 MHz, with 20x20 n25 on top of that. Heading north, n41 switches pretty quickly to 100+80 MHz, with pretty consistent coverage along I-95 and the Turnpike. A-1A coverage is patchier between Stuart and Fort Pierce, so I switched to VZW (which was more consistent there) on part of that drive. VZW has 100+60 MHz n77; coverage is less consistent than n41 but there are a number of areas where VZW clocks 500+ Mbps when T-Mobile is 300-400 Mbps.

Some TMo sites do have gig+ backhaul though; I got a 1.1+ Gbps test indoors yesterday in Stuart.

I'll report on AT&T and Dish later.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, iansltx said:

...VZW has 100+60 MHz n77; coverage is less consistent than n41 but there are a number of areas where VZW clocks 500+ Mbps...

How did SCP do on reporting the n77? Any SA? Was the full 160 used at once? Did the n77 frequencies change between the two?  Thanks

N41 coverage expansion likely related to auction 108 new licenses: the northern run from Columbus to Pittsburgh now shows n41 (except between Coshocton and Newcomerstown, around Tappan Lake, and Hopedale) on the T-Mobile coverage map. The northern run is 161,  37, 16, US 36, US 250, US 22 and is 2/3 divided highway.  It is a more picturesque alternate to I-70 and I-79.

If true, this would be a big change. I did not see this a month ago.  Even if just a plan, it is still good news for Home Internet in new rural areas.

Edited by dkyeager
clarified
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2024 at 12:28 PM, dkyeager said:

How did SCP do on reporting the n77? Any SA? Was the full 160 used at once? Did the n77 frequencies change between the two?  Thanks

I checked using field test mode on my S24 rather than SCP. Didn't see any SA. Both NR carriers were used concurrently basically every time I checked. Same with AT&T n77.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned on the other thread, thanks to Auction 108 my parents' place (Gillespie County, TX) is now up to 80 MHz n41, which can deliver 600+ Mbps outdoors, at least when CA'd (e.g. with 10x10 n25 that's live here). That means indoor FWA with 3/5 bars on an X55 modem is getting 300-400 Mbps download speeds.

The drive between Austin and here on US-290 drops to n71 for a few miles, but that's 20x20 with 15x15 B2 and 10x10 B66 so capacity is still fine. Other than those small stretches everything's either 80 MHz (further west) or 100+80 MHz (closer to Austin) n41. Not sure the sites have more than gigabit backhaul, but they don't need more than that to be pretty consistently the fastest.

Meanwhile VZW drops from n77 100+40 to LTE-only, and AT&T from n77 80+40 to n5 10x10, once you get a bit outside Austin, which is disappointing given that VZW could light 100+100 n77 if they wanted here, and AT&T of course has 80+40 everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Correction: T-Mobile has 100+80 MHz n41 live here. I didn't see it yesterday so either they just turned it on, it's temporary capacity for the eclipse, or maybe something else. But that means that T-Mobile has as much mid-band online here as they do in Austin, though I'm 99.9% sure their sites here only have a gig of backhaul (which is plenty for the area tbh).

Also, VZW has B48 on some of their macros here, so a bit better than just AWS-or-less LTE. And AT&T actually *does* have n77 here (standard 80+40 setup), albeit with hit-or-miss coverage so I'm guessing it's only on a couple of sites.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

T-Mobile and EQT Announce Joint Venture to Acquire Lumos and Build Out the Un-carrier’s First Fiber Footprint

The JV will bring T-Mobile’s retail, marketing, brand and customer experience strengths together with EQT’s fiber infrastructure investment expertise. Together they will acquire Lumos’ scalable fiber network build capabilities to deliver best-in-class high-speed fiber internet connectivity to customers across the U.S. without access to fiber today. After the transaction closes, Lumos, which currently reaches 320,000 households over 7,500 route miles with fiber optic internet and home wi-fi service in the Mid-Atlantic, will transition to a wholesale model with T-Mobile as the anchor tenant owning customer relationships and leveraging its brand to attract new subscribers. The JV will focus on market identification and selection, network engineering and design, network deployment, and customer installation.

T-Mobile provides a unique value proposition and much-needed reliable connectivity to homes and businesses across the country through its 5G Internet, a fixed wireless internet service on its 5G network that is available to more than 50 million households and businesses nationwide and serves over 5 million customers, as well as T-Mobile Fiber, which has launched in parts of 16 U.S. markets. Those launches have shown consumer demand for broadband that T-Mobile cannot meet through its fallow capacity fixed wireless product alone, and many customers want the speed and reliability that only fiber can provide.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/business/t-mobile-eqt-jv-to-acquire-lumos

• Like 2

T-Mobile Delivers Industry-Leading Customer, Service Revenue and Profitability Growth in Q1 2024, and Raises 2024 Guidance

Industry-Leading Customer Growth Fueled by Best Network and Best Value Combination (1)

• Postpaid net account additions of 218 thousand, best in industry
  • Postpaid net customer additions of 1.2 million, best in industry
  • Postpaid phone net customer additions of 532 thousand, best in industry and higher share of industry net adds year-over-year
  • Postpaid phone churn of 0.86%, matches record low for Q1
  • High Speed Internet net customer additions of 405 thousand, best in industry, passing 5 million customers

T-Mobile Strengthens Largest, Fastest and Most Advanced 5G Network with Additional Mid-Band Spectrum

• Nearly 95% of 5G network traffic on mid-band spectrum given the expansive breadth and depth of deployment
  • 85% of 5G traffic carried on sites with all three spectrum layers, delivering an incredibly consistent network experience

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/business/t-mobile-q1-2024-earnings

— — — — —

I find it funny that when they talk about their spectrum layers they're saying n71, n25, and n41. They're completely avoiding talking about mmWave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

T-Mobile Delivers Industry-Leading Customer, Service Revenue and Profitability Growth in Q1 2024, and Raises 2024 Guidance

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/business/t-mobile-q1-2024-earnings

— — — — —

I find it funny that when they talk about their spectrum layers they're saying n71, n25, and n41. They're completely avoiding talking about mmWave.

"The company’s unique multi-layer approach to 5G, with dedicated standalone 5G deployed nationwide across 600MHz, 1.9GHz, and 2.5GHz delivers customers a consistently strong experience, with 85% of 5G traffic on sites with all three spectrum bands deployed."

Meanwhile they are very close to a construction deadline June 1 for 850Mhz of mmWave in most of Ohio covering 27500-28350Mhz expiring 6/8/2028. No reported sightings.  Buildout notice issue sent by FCC in March 5, 2024 https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/letterPdf/LetterPdfController?licId=4019733&letterVersionId=178&autoLetterId=13060705&letterCode=CR&radioServiceCode=UU&op=LetterPdf&licSide=Y&archive=null&letterTo=L  No specific permits seen in a quick check of Columbus.

They also have an additional 200Mhz covering at 24350-25450 Mhz and 24950-25050Mhz with no buildout date expiring 12/11/2029.

Edited by dkyeager
added details
  • Like 3

In the conference call they had two question on additional spectrum. One was the 800 spectrum. They are not certain what will happen, thus have not really put it into their plans either way (sale or no sale). They do have a reserve level. Nationwide 800Mhz is seen as great for new technologies which I presume is IOT or 5g slices.  T-Mobile did not bite on use of their c-band or DOD.  mmWave rapidly approaching deadlines not mentioned at all.

FWA brushes on this as it deals with underutilized spectrum on a sector by sector basis.  They are willing to take more money to allow FWA to be mobile (think RV or camping). Unsure if this represents a higher priority, for example, FWA Mobile in RVs in Walmart parking lots working where mobile phones need all the capacity.

In terms of FWA capacity, their offload strategy is fiber through joint ventures where T-Mobile does the marketing, sales, and customer support while the fiber company does the network planning and installation.  50%-50% financial split not being consolidated into their books.

I think discussion of other spectrum would have diluted the fiber joint venture discussion. They do have a fund which one use is to purchase new spectrum. Sale of the 800Mhz would go into this. It should be noted that they continue to buy 2.5Ghz spectrum from schools etc to replace leases.

They will have a conference this fall  to update their overall strategies.

Other notes from the call are 75% of the phones on the network are 5g. About 85% of their sites have n41, n25, and n71, 90% 5g.  93% of traffic is on midband.  SA is also adding to their performance advantage, which they figure is still ahead of other carriers by two years.

It took two weeks to put the auction 108 spectrum to use at their existing sites. Mention was also made that their site spacing was designed for midrange thus no gaps in n41 coverage, while competitors was designed for lowband thus toggles back and forth for n77 also with its shorter range.

Edited by dkyeager
clarity
  • Like 2

Hopefully this indicates T-Mobile hasn't completely abandoned mmwave and/or small cells? But then again this is the loop, so take that as you will. Hopefully now that most macro activity is done (besides rural colo/builds), they will start working on small cells. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1