Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On 6/21/2017 at 2:37 PM, QWIKSTRIKE said:

BGR reports that sprint and Tmobile are finalizing merger talks in an all stock transaction... This is the basis of Google fi, and things are not so rosy with my fi phone.... Google prioritizes speed over reception and it default more towards Tmobile even if the signal reception is weak.. 

This will be great if they can get it right, but bad for my sprint unlimited plan I think..... Anyone else. 

• 5 weeks later...

BGR reports that sprint and Tmobile are finalizing merger talks in an all stock transaction... This is the basis of Google fi, and things are not so rosy with my fi phone.... Google prioritizes speed over reception and it default more towards Tmobile even if the signal reception is weak.. 

This will be great if they can get it right, but bad for my sprint unlimited plan I think..... Anyone else. 

Edited by twospirits
fixed the Bring Bring

In other forums I've told Sprint customers if you haven't already switched to an unlimited plan you better do it now while it's still available. I foresee it vanishing not long after the merger.

• Like 1

In other forums I've told Sprint customers if you haven't already switched to an unlimited plan you better do it now while it's still available. I foresee it vanishing not long after the merger.

I dont think it will.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I somewhat agree with what you've said here regarding unlimited, especially since some of the wireless CEOs mentioned in the past it going away eventually, regardless of them bringing it on for this period of competitive timeframe.

My guess is there will be some sort of in-between a per gb plan and unlimited, likely priced at around $60 monthly for 15gb, $90 monthly for 30gb, $120 monthly for 45gb, and so on following a 15gb incremental rate for $30 monthly, with rollover-type options being standard for as long as a customer keeps the service, rather than after a month or a year expiry. Possibly instead of increments, there might be a per gb rate at around $3 to $5 per gb instead of the rollover-type option. Something like one of these ideas.

Then I expect there will be an optional unlimited slower speedcap after the data limit, rather than deprioritization, most likely either slowed down to 3mbps or 9mbps. Personally, I'm all supportive of a plan that costs $90 monthly for 30gb, with an over the data limit speedcap at 9mbps. I think AT&T may end up doing something like that, with a cheaper option of $60 monthly for 15gb with an over the data limit speedcap at 3mbps, which might replace their current Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice plans.

Either way, I'm hoping for an access fee reduction on devices if carriers do eliminate Unlimited. I think the monthly standard access fee should be the same for all devices, at $5 monthly each.

Should I switch to T-Mobile and take advantage of the #GetoutofRedPromo?

Are you not happy with Verizon, or looking for a better deal? I've read that some areas of the U.S. are offering a 20% off for lifetime discount, similar to the Hookup Code a few months ago, though the two line for $100 monthly deal with included HD streaming isn't available anymore.

I probably would stay with T-Mobile if the Sprint merger was closer to happening with a likely approval from the FCC. Yet, between that and the 600mhz inclusion, still is two to three years away. Might be better to stay with Verizon in the meantime for network performance reasons.

I am certainly very happy that merger discussions are entering the serious phase and even more happy that it is an all stock deal therefore ensuring no added debt. I do believe that the combined company will have a $60B debt load which is very comfortable for a company that size. I want to discuss first of all their combined spectrum situation. Here is a list of their spectrum holdings:

1. 10x10Mhz+ of 600Mhz

2. 5x5Mhz of 700MHz

3. 7x7 Mhz of 800MHz

4. 30x30 MHz of PCS

5. 20x20 of band 66

6. 120-160 MHz of Band 41

If they are not forced to divest spectrum, as you can see they have plenty of spectrum for the foreseeable future. According to may thinking they have plenty of low to mid band spectrum the site to provide reliable voice and data under LTE. Band 41 can then be targeted for 5G. If I am the FCC I will make sure that they deploy everywhere they have low band spectrum to give us 3 carriers for every square mile.  

• Like 1

If I am the FCC I will make sure that they deploy everywhere they have low band spectrum to give us 3 carriers for every square mile.  

This.  They need to be nationwide.  Every state.  Every mile of interstate, every city over 10,000 people, every mile of every major transportation corridor.  I am not pro merger.  But I am not fully against it.  There will be good things from it.  But for me, this is one of the most important foundational requirements.  This would be non-negotiable for me.

• Like 16

This.  They need to be nationwide.  Every state.  Every mile of interstate, every city over 10,000 people, every mile of every major transportation corridor.  I am not pro merger.  But I am not fully against it.  There will be good things from it.  But for me, this is one of the most important foundational requirements.  This would be non-negotiable for me.

For me it was highly disappointing that AT&T had large gaps in coverage on I-10 and I-80 and then on California Hwy 128 around Lake Berryessa.

If T-Mobile and Sprint merge then I am interested in finding out how the networks will get merged. I know that in the beginning they will probably leave the networks alone and just roam on each other. But I am interested in how the actual Base Stations, RRHs enodeBs and other network elements will get merged. How fast can Sprint move off CDMA and off into VOLTE?

• Like 1

If a merger is approved, the first thing that will likely happen is native roaming on each other's network.

For T-Mobile users it is as simple as enabling VoLTE and connecting on any Sprint LTE Bands that their device is able to use when T-Mobile LTE is not available.  At the start, IP addresses are not portable between the two carriers so they would likely use T-Mobile LTE first and only use Sprint LTE if no T-Mobile LTE was available.

For Sprint users, it is a little more complicated but would likely involve connecting to T-Mobile LTE for data when Sprint LTE is not available and enabling T-Mobile GSM calling whenever CDMA voice calling is not available.  This would have to stay in place for a while since VoLTE (Calling Plus) is not available on most devices and is not yet ready for mass roll-out.  At the start, IP addresses are not portable between the two carriers so they would likely use Sprint LTE first and only use T-Mobile LTE if no Sprint LTE was available.

Over time, Sprint phones would get T-Mobile VoLTE.  The Sprint voice core centers would be switched over to handle T-Mobile calling technologies.  The data core centers would be configured for common portable IP addresses so that movement between the two LTE networks would be seamless.

I am certainly very happy that merger discussions are entering the serious phase and even more happy that it is an all stock deal therefore ensuring no added debt. I do believe that the combined company will have a $60B debt load which is very comfortable for a company that size. I want to discuss first of all their combined spectrum situation. Here is a list of their spectrum holdings:

1. 10x10Mhz+ of 600Mhz

2. 5x5Mhz of 700MHz

3. 7x7 Mhz of 800MHz

4. 30x30 MHz of PCS

5. 20x20 of band 66

6. 120-160 MHz of Band 41

If they are not forced to divest spectrum, as you can see they have plenty of spectrum for the foreseeable future. According to may thinking they have plenty of low to mid band spectrum the site to provide reliable voice and data under LTE. Band 41 can then be targeted for 5G. If I am the FCC I will make sure that they deploy everywhere they have low band spectrum to give us 3 carriers for every square mile.

With B66 tho Tmobile only bought it in limited areas. Other their aws will still be mostly B4. Areas that have B4 but, go 66 will become B66. Areas that don't have B66 aws blocks will stay B4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

With B66 tho Tmobile only bought it in limited areas. Other their aws will still be mostly B4. Areas that have B4 but, go 66 will become B66. Areas that don't have B66 aws blocks will stay B4.

We will probably see MFBI implemented network-wide.

We will probably see MFBI implemented network-wide.

Oh. Is that what would happen under the merger to TMobile towers MFBI for B25?

Oh. Is that what would happen under the merger to TMobile towers MFBI for B25?

I would assume so. We’d probably see MBFI for PCS (25/2), AWS (66/4) and 800 (26/5 in Myrtle Beach).

• Like 1

. If I am the FCC I will make sure that they deploy everywhere they have low band spectrum to give us 3 carriers for every square mile.  

Then a single line of service is going to be $150+/month on all carriers because everyone has to pay for coverage from 3 carriers for no one but prairie dogs in the middle of Montana somewhere. No thanks.

• Like 1

I would assume so. We’d probably see MBFI for PCS (25/2), AWS (66/4) and 800 (26/5 in Myrtle Beach).

I was told by one of the staff members the whole network would be B25 because, that covers the whole Band where B2 doesn't.

I was told by one of the staff members the whole network would be B25 because, that covers the whole Band where B2 doesn't.

There are T-Mobile devices that don’t support Band 25 but do support Band 2.

There are T-Mobile devices that don’t support Band 25 but do support Band 2.

I know B2 would still be there but new devices would have up have 25 otherwise they can't access the G block.

Did you do that by accident?

Operators all over the world have roaming agreements with T-Mobile. Most of their customers’ devices have B2 support but not B25. B25 is boutique band unique to Sprint.

Put short B2 would stay around for a while both due to support issues with older T-Mobile phones as well as international roaming.

Operators all over the world have roaming agreements with T-Mobile. Most of their customers’ devices have B2 support but not B25. B25 is boutique band unique to Sprint.

Put short B2 would stay around for a while both due to support issues with older T-Mobile phones as well as international roaming.

I didn't say B2 should go away. Devices should have both. But too include The G block in any channel wideing will require B25. TMobile Galaxy S8 has both bands.