Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Ok so when I go into Google and start to type in "Sprint" it indicates an "auto forward page." But when I finish typing out "sprint.com" and tap on it, I'm still taken to the same Sprint page I went to all summer long. Nothing has changed. 
Screenshot_20200805-001057_Google.thumb.jpg.bf18b3b5896c5382247c1f6a58943e4e.jpg
Screenshot_20200805-001028_Chrome.thumb.jpg.998318ba3952bd65c61a5ec988bc278d.jpg
I was getting redirected on my phone, but not my laptop or desktop. Now both my laptop and desktop are redirected to T-Mobile also.
For me also.   
1. incognito mode
2. go to www.sprint.com
3. it redirects to   www.t-mobile.com/?src=spr&rdpage=%2F
4. My Account  (pink box in upper-right corner)   |   Login 
5. I put in my Sprint username
6. it redirects to www.sprint.com/en/login.html ...
7. my username is autopopulated.  So it is now waiting for my password
Scott

They check for a sprint.com cookie is all. If you delete all the cookies for sprint.com, then it'll redirect to tmobile.com. That's why incognito works, since it clears all cookies from the session when you close it and you start fresh each time. They're probably looking for a particular cookie that's set if you've ever logged in in the past.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Look like T-Mobile is the #2 carrier overtaking AT&T. Now we just need a matching network that resembles being number 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, derrph said:

Look like T-Mobile is the #2 carrier overtaking AT&T. Now we just need a matching network that resembles being number 2.

I think that's in the process of happening. This is an unbelievable spectrum position, and I'm sure T-Mobile is hustling on Mid-Band so that the next iPhone can launch directly on T-Mobile when activated.

https://investor.t-mobile.com/news-and-events/t-mobile-us-press-releases/press-release-details/2020/T-Mobile-Overtakes-ATT-as-Americas-2-Wireless-Provider-and-Continues-to-Deliver-Industry-Leading-Customer-Growth-with-Strong-Financial-Results-in-Q2-2020/default.aspx

Building Transformative Nationwide 5G Network and Delivering Merger Synergies

• 5G Leadership: America’s largest 5G network has service in more than 7,500 cities and towns covering more than 250 million people across 1.3 million square miles, more than double AT&T’s geographic coverage and exponentially more than Verizon.
    • A new report from Open Signal ranks the T-Mobile network first for 5G availability, meaning Un-carrier customers get a 5G signal more often than customers on any other network -- more than twice as often as AT&T and 56 times more often than Verizon! Plus, a new report from Ookla measuring 4G and 5G from over one million customer devices shows that T-Mobile has 5G in nearly 4x more cities than Verizon and AT&T combined (and 32x more cities than Verizon alone). And T-Mobile customers with a 5G-capable device experience faster overall download and upload speeds than Verizon customers.
    • T-Mobile already has mid-band 5G service using 2.5 GHz spectrum live in eight major markets including Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. The performance of mid-band 5G is incredible, delivering average download speeds in the 300 Mbps range and peak speeds hitting one Gbps for customers with compatible 5G devices.
    • T-Mobile recently became the first operator in the world to launch a commercial nationwide standalone 5G network, allowing the Un-carrier to massively expand its 5G footprint, bring next-gen connectivity to more places and pave the way for future groundbreaking applications.
    • T-Mobile controls an average of 319 MHz of combined low and mid-band spectrum on average nationwide. This spectrum position is nearly double that of AT&T and nearly three times that of Verizon. In addition, T-Mobile controls 1,160 MHz of mmWave spectrum nationwide, more than AT&T.
  • Sprint Customer Experience: With 85 percent of the Sprint postpaid phone base already having a device that is compatible with the T-Mobile network, the network team is rapidly improving the experience for these customers.
    • More than 10 percent of Sprint postpaid customer traffic has already been moved over to the T-Mobile network and site decommissioning has begun
    • Approximately 75 percent of Sprint postpaid customers are enabled on VoLTE and enjoying a better voice experience, including simultaneous voice and data services
  • Like 1

Don't buy into all the Pep-rally ...    Capex is only slight ahead of last year at this time.  Should be higher if you're really building up the network.    Gotta read the numbers first and turn the volume down on Mike and Neville with their Magenta pom-poms.    2H 2020 Capex is going to near 6.7B. (it's less than 4.7B 1st half..on par with last year.) That's better but still not if you want to be playing with the big guys.   AT&T and Verizon both are looking at Capex numbers approaching over 20B each.     I agree with the derrph above... ok, you're 2nd in size with subscribers, but until you have the network fixed you have to spend some money.   I routing hard for T-Mobile, but my service and many others aren't great.     Many of my friends with 5G phones are only getting fair speeds that would be equal to what LTE could provide. (less than 100mbps)    That needs to change... quickly.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Don't buy into all the Pep-rally ...    Capex is only slight ahead of last year at this time.  Should be higher if you're really building up the network.    Gotta read the numbers first and turn the volume down on Mike and Neville with their Magenta pom-poms.    2H 2020 Capex is going to near 6.7B. (it's less than 4.7B 1st half..on par with last year.) That's better but still not if you want to be playing with the big guys.   AT&T and Verizon both are looking at Capex numbers approaching over 20B each.     I agree with the derrph above... ok, you're 2nd in size with subscribers, but until you have the network fixed you have to spend some money.   I routing hard for T-Mobile, but my service and many others aren't great.     Many of my friends with 5G phones are only getting fair speeds that would be equal to what LTE could provide. (less than 100mbps)    That needs to change... quickly.  

Sounds like a niche criticism.

Why does the average American need more than 100mbps cellular speeds while mostly stuck at home on WiFi in the middle of a pandemic?

The industry-record subscriber gains seem to indicate that T-Mobile is investing in the right services at the right value for what most consumers need right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

That was quick. My guess is they're starting in rural areas?

Good question. I'm curious about that too.

One thing I read about from the Earnings Call is that Neville mentioned they were starting upgrades on 600 sites/week at the end of the 2nd quarter and that's now risen to 700 sites/week. If they can keep that pace (or increase it), we're talking about substantial network improvements on a weekly/monthly basis.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JimBob said:

Sounds like a niche criticism.

Why does the average American need more than 100mbps cellular speeds while mostly stuck at home on WiFi in the middle of a pandemic?

The industry-record subscriber gains seem to indicate that T-Mobile is investing in the right services at the right value for what most consumers need right now.

Why does average America need more than 100 mbps??  Really?    It's called technology advancement.    Why do we need 707 Hp cars? Model T's and VW Bugs with 48hp still did the job.  Why do we need flat screen HDtvs when the old 480p big box picture tube ones worked?       Not a worthy rebuttal.   T-Mob needs to turn up the gas.  Fix the outages on the east coast. (Maryland, PA, Virginia..)...        

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Why does average America need more than 100 mbps??  Really?    It's called technology advancement.    Why do we need 707 Hp cars? Model T's and VW Bugs with 48hp still did the job.  Why do we need flat screen HDtvs when the old 480p big box picture tube ones worked?       Not a worthy rebuttal.   T-Mob needs to turn up the gas.  Fix the outages on the east coast. (Maryland, PA, Virginia..)...        

Apple still does not even have any 5G iPhones yet.  They were also late to 3G and 4G, but yet still sell the most phones at the most profit every year.

Successful companies will give the market what people want to buy.

• Like 1

We don't really need any of those things, if you're being honest
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:
33 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

We don't really need any of those things, if you're being honest

Well then we don't need cell phones either.   The ones that hung on the wall did just fine by that thought concept.  Loved those sticky pay-phones too!  Maybe Pony express better than phones period. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Some interesting observations about T-Mobile's standalone 5G in this Twitter thread.

To make a long story short, the band priority seems to be Band 66, Band 2, n71, Band 71, Band 12. Devices seem to operate in NSA mode as long as there is a decent mid-band LTE signal available (presumably for higher speeds). Once mid-band drops below a certain signal threshold the device will operate in standalone 5G mode. When standalone 5G drops below a certain level, the device will attempt to connect to Band 71 or Band 12.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Well then we don't need cell phones either.   The ones that hung on the wall did just fine by that thought concept.  Loved those sticky pay-phones too!  Maybe Pony express better than phones period. 

You sound a bit testy. I think the overall point is that based on current technologies that 100+ mbps is realistically pointless for mobile use. The reality is that the memory technology used in phones is not capable of that level of data transfer at a sustained rate. So it seems petty to criticize the network. Most people are not getting 100+ mbps on their wifi connections at home. Setup a speed test server on your own home network and try sustained speed tests, I guarantee you will not maintain 100 mbps connections for more than a minute or so. 

• Like 6

New T-Mobile Overtakes AT&T as #2 Wireless Provider
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-mobile-overtakes-t-america-200100963.html
584410-bg-23-beams.desktop.jpg

Definitely did not see this happening anytime soon. Either way, the additional customers and revenue should fuel more network upgrades. [emoji1417]

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ase500 said:

You sound a bit testy. I think the overall point is that based on current technologies that 100+ mbps is realistically pointless for mobile use. The reality is that the memory technology used in phones is not capable of that level of data transfer at a sustained rate. So it seems petty to criticize the network. Most people are not getting 100+ mbps on their wifi connections at home. Setup a speed test server on your own home network and try sustained speed tests, I guarantee you will not maintain 100 mbps connections for more than a minute or so. 

No.. not testy at all.   But you're not  putting accurate comparisons forth.    Look, I love being a Fan-boy too, but it's off the official numbers reported vs what the sales pitch to brokerage firms was from the paid Pom-Pom squad.   Do you think they're going to say yeah, we know we had massive outages 4 weeks ago, and again now, there's East Coast Outages...  but.... and hey the Tower Firms are Lying cry babies... wait they did say that one.    LOL     Neville: "We're baking that layer cake faster".... Let's hope he doesn't burn that layer cake!     The spending is due to increase 2nd half of this year... lets hope it does.    

• Like 2

No.. not testy at all.   But you're not  putting accurate comparisons forth.    Look, I love being a Fan-boy too, but it's off the official numbers reported vs what the sales pitch to brokerage firms was from the paid Pom-Pom squad.   Do you think they're going to say yeah, we know we had massive outages 4 weeks ago, and again now, there's East Coast Outages...  but.... and hey the Tower Firms are Lying cry babies... wait they did say that one.    LOL     Neville: "We're baking that layer cake faster".... Let's hope he doesn't burn that layer cake!    

I just hope New T-Mobile can kick it into overdrive these next few months before winter and hurricane season impedes their progress. No better time to capitalize than now as fall weather is around the corner and manufacturing is finally catching up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Good question. I'm curious about that too.

One thing I read about from the Earnings Call is that Neville mentioned they were starting upgrades on 600 sites/week at the end of the 2nd quarter and that's now risen to 700 sites/week. If they can keep that pace (or increase it), we're talking about substantial network improvements on a weekly/monthly basis.

Rural sites would be the last to get decommissioned. Too many areas where one of the two networks has service and the other doesn't. Two hours west of here, Sprint has the advantage. Three hours north of that, T-Mobile does.

I'd expect urban sites to be the first ones to get the ax, in areas where a single carrier is dense enough to maintain mid-band coverage. There's certainly the case where I'm sitting...T-Mobile could drop Sprint's network entirely here and folks would still be able to run on B2/66 LTE. I'd be annoyed, since the two sites that serve me on TMo are a bit further away than the Sprint one, but I understand why they'd drop the (rooftop) Sprint site.

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

Some interesting observations about T-Mobile's standalone 5G in this Twitter thread.

To make a long story short, the band priority seems to be Band 66, Band 2, n71, Band 71, Band 12. Devices seem to operate in NSA mode as long as there is a decent mid-band LTE signal available (presumably for higher speeds). Once mid-band drops below a certain signal threshold the device will operate in standalone 5G mode. When standalone 5G drops below a certain level, the device will attempt to connect to Band 71 or Band 12.

Makes perfect sense; no need to shove everyone onto 5-10 MHz of n71 when you can aggregate, even though latency will suffer. And for n41, if you can get it you'll always be within range of B2/66 LTE from the same cell site, so SA doesn't confer a range benefit.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bennyjet29 said:

I just hope New T-Mobile can kick it into overdrive these next few months before winter and hurricane season impedes their progress. No better time to capitalize than now as fall weather is around the corner and manufacturing is finally catching up.

Absolutely!!  Totally correct! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dro1984 said:

No.. not testy at all.   But you're not  putting accurate comparisons forth.    Look, I love being a Fan-boy too, but it's off the official numbers reported vs what the sales pitch to brokerage firms was from the paid Pom-Pom squad.   Do you think they're going to say yeah, we know we had massive outages 4 weeks ago, and again now, there's East Coast Outages...  but.... and hey the Tower Firms are Lying cry babies... wait they did say that one.    LOL     Neville: "We're baking that layer cake faster".... Let's hope he doesn't burn that layer cake!     The spending is due to increase 2nd half of this year... lets hope it does.    

Um. I didn't compare anything. My point as was others is that complaining about not having 100+ speeds consistently is pointless. Especially as mobile devices do not contain memory that could use such a capability. 5G mobile at this point is essentially a gimmick. Until higher class memory prices come down there is literally no use for speeds above about 50 mbps. That is my point. In no way am I a fan boy. And yes it is downright Insulting for you to attempt to deflect your pointless criticism with such. My points are matters of FACT not of fanaticism. If you care to have a discussion of the technology and how things work great. However if you are just gloomy gus or just feel the need to denigrate others well then feel free to take a long off a short pier.

I'm not telling anyone to take "a long off a short pier" (Sic)     I can live with you disagreeing with me.   We all have opinions.    I still stand by T-Mobile needs to do more and talk less.    

• Like 4

On 8/4/2020 at 9:08 PM, 645824 said:

For me also.   

1. incognito mode

2. go to www.sprint.com

3. it redirects to   www.t-mobile.com/?src=spr&rdpage=%2F

4. My Account  (pink box in upper-right corner)   |   Login 

5. I put in my Sprint username

6. it redirects to www.sprint.com/en/login.html ...

7. my username is autopopulated.  So it is now waiting for my password

Scott

This is exactly what happens to me. I have cleared cookies and cache and tried incognito mode and no matter what I do if I try to log in on T-mobiles site I am redirected to sprints homepage.