Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

I think I discovered why my signal (TMobile) was barely one bar for a little while.  Picked up B41 on TMobile.  It is just a single 20MHz carrier at 2600MHz.  Premerger Sprint wasn't using this block. It was something like 2628 to 2668.

12 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

I think I discovered why my signal (TMobile) was barely one bar for a little while.  Picked up B41 on TMobile.  It is just a single 20MHz carrier at 2600MHz.  Premerger Sprint wasn't using this block. It was something like 2628 to 2668.

What market?

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

If you picked up Tmobile B41 then its a tmobile N41 antenna around.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

The vast majority of people won't know that, they'll just know their network keeps getting worse as Sprint sites are taken offline, so I really hope the T-Mobile network team is taking that into account as they decommission sites. They're not really offering any good incentives for people to upgrade to new devices at the moment (that I'm aware of) so it's not going to go well if they start making the Sprint network worse before giving people a way to get on the T-Mobile network without scrapping their plans.

True

• Like 1

Another B41 sighting in Washington, DC. 5505 Colorado Ave NW. Presumably N41 also.

Something I’ve noticed on my iPhone 11 Pro is that if I’m near a tower with B41, the phone seems to use it rather than the traditional B66/B2/B12 or B71 CA configuration. 

00785928-8D58-4F11-B9F7-B5C616E8A25C.png

A25FF80E-3000-4794-B50F-B505B496BA45.jpeg

E0C2550D-D977-4503-98C1-4D2A85320F14.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

Another B41 sighting in Washington, DC. 5505 Colorado Ave NW. Presumably N41 also.

Something I’ve noticed on my iPhone 11 Pro is that if I’m near a tower with B41, the phone seems to use it rather than the traditional B66/B2/B12 or B71 CA configuration. 

As I recall, B41 CA support is either 41+41 (2CA or 3CA) or 25+41. If T-Mobile wanted folks to CA, they'd have to run MFBI on their B2 sites to broadcast B25, mirroring the way Sprint would've rolled interband CA out.

But, given that T-Mobile is using B41 surgically for capacity at the moment (same way international carriers tend to use B7), they'd rather phones sit solely on B41, where even on a 20 MHz channel speeds are good enough, vs. spreading load across B2, where at the moment they tend to have less capacity than Sprint did on B25.

For example, Sprint has 10x10 + 5x5 of B25 here. T-Mobile has 10x10...and that's it. Contrast to double 10x10 of B4/66 (all within the B4 blocks) and I'm constantly surprised when my phone prefers B2.

• Like 1

As I recall, B41 CA support is either 41+41 (2CA or 3CA) or 25+41. If T-Mobile wanted folks to CA, they'd have to run MFBI on their B2 sites to broadcast B25, mirroring the way Sprint would've rolled interband CA out.
But, given that T-Mobile is using B41 surgically for capacity at the moment (same way international carriers tend to use B7), they'd rather phones sit solely on B41, where even on a 20 MHz channel speeds are good enough, vs. spreading load across B2, where at the moment they tend to have less capacity than Sprint did on B25.
For example, Sprint has 10x10 + 5x5 of B25 here. T-Mobile has 10x10...and that's it. Contrast to double 10x10 of B4/66 (all within the B4 blocks) and I'm constantly surprised when my phone prefers B2.
B41 can do 4xca with B25. 25+41+41+41

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Since the August 1 change-over date, my Sprint speeds have been poor.   I'm on  b41.   Before then, I was easily getting 30-60 Mbps on all of my three Sprint devices (HTC 5G hotspot; in 4G LTE mode).  But after August 1, I've been getting   nothing,  or 3 Mbps, or perhaps 10-30 Mbps occasionally.  This is on the tower at 261 Orange Ave, ZIP=95363.

So at this point, I am not a happy New T-Mobile customer.  But I have to stick with my three HTC units (load balanced into one connection) since I have the 100 GB/month Sprint plan for each of my three 3 units (i.e.  300 GB/month).  Cable doesn't come to my neighborhood, DSL is spec'd at only 3 Mbps here, and I'm still waiting for SpaceX.  So this wireless connectivity is my only Internet.  And I'm not in "the country"; I'm 2 miles outside of the city limit.  I have flat panel antennas attached to each of my HTC's and pointed at the cell tower.  I have 4 bars on each, so it isn't my antennas or boxes, it is T-Mobile diddling with the tower.

Since T-Mobile is still dragging their feet on their fixed wireless Home Internet in my area, I'm stuck.   For my HTC boxes, it isn't clear what the path forward is.  There haven't been any software updates in awhile.  I did start getting a monthly rebate of $15/month per device from Sprint when they announced turning off 5G.  Whoop-tee-doo, they had never turned it on at my tower anyway.

Scott

Edited by 645824

24 minutes ago, iansltx said:

T-Mobile is broadcasting B25 MFBI on B2 around here, but it’s only a 5x5 slice so it’s usually pretty congested and probably not worth their while to combine with a fairly clear 20 MHz channel of B41.

Just noting the logic that I’ve observed on my phone - that the network and my device seem to want me to sit on a strong B41 signal when it’s available vs the “legacy” T-Mo bands. 

T-Mobile is broadcasting B25 MFBI on B2 around here, but it’s only a 5x5 slice so it’s usually pretty congested and probably not worth their while to combine with a fairly clear 20 MHz channel of B41.
Just noting the logic that I’ve observed on my phone - that the network and my device seem to want me to sit on a strong B41 signal when it’s available vs the “legacy” T-Mo bands. 
Is your area contiguous or not contiguous with Sprints PCs spectrum?

4 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Is your area contiguous or not contiguous with Sprints PCs spectrum?

It’s not. Here in DC we have:

A 1850-1865, 1930-1945 (Legacy Sprint) - 15x15
E 1885-1890, 1965-1960 (Legacy T-Mobile) - 5x5
F 1890-1895, 1970-1975 (Legacy T-Mobile) - 5x5
G 1910-1915, 1990-1995 (Legacy Sprint) - 5x5

I noticed MFBI was enabled around the time they announced the merger and roaming agreement with Sprint, so I assume it was for the benefit of Sprint roamers. 

It’s not. Here in DC we have:
A 1850-1865, 1930-1945 (Legacy Sprint) - 15x15
E 1885-1890, 1965-1960 (Legacy T-Mobile) - 5x5
F 1890-1895, 1970-1975 (Legacy T-Mobile) - 5x5
G 1910-1915, 1990-1995 (Legacy Sprint) - 5x5
I noticed MFBI was enabled around the time they announced the merger and roaming agreement with Sprint, so I assume it was for the benefit of Sprint roamers. 
I believe their could be a spectrum swap happening in that area with the other 2

2 hours ago, 645824 said:

Since the August 1 change-over date, my Sprint speeds have been poor.   I'm on  b41.   Before then, I was easily getting 30-60 Mbps on all of my three Sprint devices (HTC 5G hotspot; in 4G LTE mode).  But after August 1, I've been getting   nothing,  or 3 Mbps, or perhaps 10-30 Mbps occasionally.  This is on the tower at 261 Orange Ave, ZIP=95363.

So at this point, I am not a happy New T-Mobile customer.  But I have to stick with my three HTC units (load balanced into one connection) since I have the 100 GB/month Sprint plan for each of my three 3 units (i.e.  300 GB/month).  Cable doesn't come to my neighborhood, DSL is spec'd at only 3 Mbps here, and I'm still waiting for SpaceX.  So this wireless connectivity is my only Internet.  And I'm not in "the country"; I'm 2 miles outside of the city limit.  I have flat panel antennas attached to each of my HTC's and pointed at the cell tower.  I have 4 bars on each, so it isn't my antennas or boxes, it is T-Mobile diddling with the tower.

Since T-Mobile is still dragging their feet on their fixed wireless Home Internet in my area, I'm stuck.   For my HTC boxes, it isn't clear what the path forward is.  There haven't been any software updates in awhile.  I did start getting a monthly rebate of $15/month per device from Sprint when they announced turning off 5G.  Whoop-tee-doo, they had never turned it on at my tower anyway.

Scott

You're not the only one, reddit is full of people complaining about losing Sprint B41 coverage. 

• Like 2

089cd8930539617208d9053b2c738ce1.png
e39e6603c32e98654b774de6703c032f.png
Took the Speedtest this morning after I dropped my brother off at Albany International Airport. Hit 250+ MBPS download on both OOKLA and Open Signal! [emoji100][emoji390][emoji1419]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, runagun said:

I wonder if they did anything with hpue. Is it still enabled?

Ya know what? I forgot all about HPUE.  I don't recall if there were any solid metrics published that supported it actually making a substantial difference but if anyone can point me in that direction that would be great. Curious to see if it had any real effect and, if so, to what extent.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Ya know what? I forgot all about HPUE.  I don't recall if there were any solid metrics published that supported it actually making a substantial difference but if anyone can point me in that direction that would be great. Curious to see if it had any real effect and, if so, to what extent.

I found HPUE to be almost worthless.  Before HPUE, I could lock onto band 41 in my home, but it would never work because I could not get a signal from my home to the cell site.   Once I had HPUE capability, it still did not work but occasionally I did at least feel that my signal was received at the cell site, but it only happened a very few times.  One problem was that band 41 carriers were aggregated and I suspect that HPUE would only work with one Band 41 carrier.  It may have worked on paper, but not in my actual use.

I am still using Sprint service, but I actually have band 41 disabled. I get a solid band 25 at good speed so I do not need band 41 and its issues. Using Galaxy s9.

• Like 2

Just set up a Galaxy S20+ 5G on one of our Sprint lines. I was stunned to see so much junk (which I removed) during the setup process, including a bunch of Sprint icons that wanted to install themselves. (Pay Bill, Upgrade Eligibility)  Is this something we can expect to improve under T-Mobile?

The device also said Sprint 5G on initial boot. I fully updated it and completed setup. At what point will the device switch over to the T-Mobile network and use it as an anchor?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Just set up a Galaxy S20+ 5G on one of our Sprint lines. I was stunned to see so much junk (which I removed) during the setup process, including a bunch of Sprint icons that wanted to install themselves. (Pay Bill, Upgrade Eligibility)  Is this something we can expect to improve under T-Mobile?

The device also said Sprint 5G on initial boot. I fully updated it and completed setup. At what point will the device switch over to the T-Mobile network and use it as an anchor?

Can I ask what your APN is?

20 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Can I ask what your APN is?

It's a family member's device so I don't have it nearby. When I see it next, I'll check it. Is it under the About Phone menu or somewhere else?

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/qualcomm-touts-5g-first-wideband-700-mhz-data-call-cbn

Not exactly related to New T-Mobile but interesting as it was done over 700 MHz and we are utilizing Band 71 aka 600 MHz. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

I think it is in settings, network and internet, APN config or something like this. I appreciate it, I am wondering if Sprint or T-mobile is using a specific APN for 5G access. Thanks! Sorry i am no help on your initial question.

No prob! Curious about this as well so I'll check it out. We're still on the Unlimited Freedom Plan with the "Love My Credit Union" Rewards. Won't have access to it until the weekend.

Having been on iOS since the early days, I couldn't believe how disjointed and "junky" the setup process still is for Samsung. At least I got it cleaned up, but wow.

BTW: Is there any mmWave in/around DC?