Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

LG G2:

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: 19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850), 21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900), 23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900), 17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)
SGS4T: (under SAR evaluation report)
  • RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CDMA BC10) 24.97 dBm, (CL 850 CDMA/EVDO) 24.89 dBm, (PCS CDMA/EVDO) 24.70 dBm , (B25 LTE 1900) 23.00 dBm , (B26 LTE 800) 24.32 dBm , (B41 LTE 2500) LTE 24.35 dBm.
Nexus 5 : (SAR Evaluation report)
  • RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CL 850 CDMA BC0 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.5 dBm, (PCS BC1 CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.6 dBm, (eSMR 800 CDMA BC10) 24.5 dBm, (LTE Band 25 PCS) 23.5 dBm, (LTE Band 26 eSMR) 23.7 dBm, (LTE TDD Band 41) 21.5 dBm
That's what confuses me. According to these numbers, the G2 should have similar radio performance to the N5 in terms of B25. In fact, even the G2s range goes higher. Am I looking at it wrong?

Sent from my LG-G2

Same here, I actually turned off 41 and 26 a couple of weeks ago to see if it made any difference on battery life. It didn't.I don't think we need to continue down the road of turning this into a G2 vs. N5 thread, they are both great phones that make my 6-year-old laptop look like an abacus..-Mike

Yeah...the G2 is like a great football team...the N5 is like an almost great football team, kind of like the Patriots...or perhaps I should say the G2 is like the Yankees whereas the N5 is like the almost as great Red Socks...

I kid, really.

That's what confuses me. According to these numbers, the G2 should have similar radio performance to the N5 in terms of B25. In fact, even the G2s range goes higher. Am I looking at it wrong?

Sent from my LG-G2

I'm not confused. That's the signal sent from the device, not the signal received. It's only part of the story.

When you see really strong or really weak EIRP numbers, it can be indicative to a strong or weak radio performing device. But that data in itself is incomplete in making anything close to a final determination. We have seen devices that look average in EIRP being really strong performers in the real world. We have seen really high EIRP numbers not develop into a high performing device. But most often, they are pretty accurate. But it's not a for sure thing,

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I'm not confused. That's the signal sent from the device, not the signal received. It's only part of the story.

When you see really strong or really weak EIRP numbers, it can be indicative to a strong or weak radio performing device. But that data in itself is incomplete in making anything close to a final determination. We have seen devices that look average in EIRP being really strong performers in the real world. We have seen really high EIRP numbers not develop into a high performing device. But most often, they are pretty accurate. But it's not a for sure thing,

So, in other words...it's impossible to determine RF performance by looking at FCC documents?

Sent from my LG-G2

So, in other words...it's impossible to determine RF performance by looking at FCC documents?

Sent from my LG-G2

I wouldn't say it like that. I would say that the complete picture of total RF performance cannot be determined by FCC OET documents. If the EIRP matches both ways, then it does. If the device does not, then it could be worse or better.

In my opinion the EIRP numbers from FCC docs are pretty good indicators. But not absolute. And in the case of the LG G2, the EIRP shown is good, and the G2 does perform well as shown for Band 25. It's just not as good as the best.

• Like 2

Is there anywhere in these forums to buy, sell, or trade devices. I'm in Milwaukee and I'm looking to trade gs4 for a nexus 5. I don't see any place for that. If anyone is in Milwaukee and interested here is my post http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mob/4268729363.html

Swappa.com

Sent from Evo

• Like 1

Is there anywhere in these forums to buy, sell, or trade devices. I'm in Milwaukee and I'm looking to trade gs4 for a nexus 5. I don't see any place for that. If anyone is in Milwaukee and interested here is my post http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mob/4268729363.html

I'm not sure you'll find anyone here willing to make that trade. That'd be like trading a BMW for a Chevy Malibu.

In my opinion the EIRP numbers from FCC docs are pretty good indicators. But not absolute. And in the case of the LG G2, the EIRP shown is good, and the G2 does perform well as shown for Band 25. It's just not as good as the best.

This is good stuff!  Thanks.

We don't allow sales from our forums without Administrator approval. Otherwise our moderators are directed to treat it as spam. Typically, if you want to use S4GRU to sell something, you need to offer a portion of the proceeds to the site. For instance, some of the app developers that frequently use S4GRU are some of the biggest financial supporters of our site.

• Like 7

We don't allow sales from our forums without Administrator approval. Otherwise our moderators are directed to treat it as spam. Typically, if you want to use S4GRU to sell something, you need to offer a portion of the proceeds to the site. For instance, some of the app developers that frequently use S4GRU are some of the biggest financial supporters of our site.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Makes me want to learn developing even more.

So I have my nexus 5 32gb coming in tomorrow but can't get a sim from any corporate store still. I thought they would have been educated by now. Anyone here work at a sprint store in Jersey?

Sent from Evo

Are you still in need of a SIM?  If so PM me and I can get one sent out to you

If I installed a T-Mobile sim card, could I use my phone on Sprint if I had it set to CDMA in the *#*#4636*#*# menu, then change it's mode to GSM ONLY to receive my T-mobile service?

No. A big fat no. You are misunderstanding roaming agreements.

AJ

• Like 1

If I installed a T-Mobile sim card, could I use my phone on Sprint if I had it set to CDMA in the *#*#4636*#*# menu, then change it's mode to GSM ONLY to receive my T-mobile service?

Like AJ said, you can't roam between Sprint and T-Mobile (on any phone). But, if you were asking if you had a Sprint account and a T-Mobile account, and wanted to swap between each with a T-Mobile SIM inserted and toggling between GSM and CDMA on the N5's Radio Info screen.. that doesn't work. I just tried it; with the T-Mobile SIM inserted, it will not allow any CDMA-only entries to be selected.

You can use the N5 on multiple carriers by switching out the SIM, but a reboot is needed. It appears that you even have to reboot it if you remove and re-insert the same SIM; network connectivity is flaky at best, and usually goes away altogether until you reboot the phone.

EDIT: Actually, CDMA 1X and EV-DO connections appear to work without a reboot if you have a SIM from a CDMA provider (like Sprint) inserted. However, no GSM, eHRPD, or LTE connections for any provider will work properly without a reboot. It appears that the phone initializes the 3GPP network stuff (like MCC-MNC) on boot, so once you pull the SIM, it won't properly initialize again until you reboot. GSM and LTE are both 3GPP standards, so that makes sense.

-Mike

Apparently there's a new internal build of 4.4.2 with ID KJT49K that's been spotted in a bug report. More than likely it's just updated Android code rather than including the triband radio. Obviously any Spark enabled release is going to be on Google's timetable though, rather than Sprint's.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1