Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

what would be some reasons for holding back on a Nexus 5 spark update?  just curious....

Well, the Nexus 5 is the non Sprint specific handset that crashed the party...

AJ

• Like 1

Apparently there's a new internal build of 4.4.2 with ID KJT49K that's been spotted in a bug report. More than likely it's just updated Android code rather than including the triband radio. Obviously any Spark enabled release is going to be on Google's timetable though, rather than Sprint's.

I had read about Google's Android build version scheme awhile back, and an article I came across confirmed the first thought I had when I saw your post. Here's the breakdown for those interested:

K = Android version (KitKat)

J = internal code branch identifier

T = quarter of build (A was early 2009; T = Q3 2013)

49 = day of quarter (11/18/13 in this case)

K = version of that day (A = first; so K = 11th version built that day)

The key thing here is that the current public build is KOT49H, so it was built on the same day off a different code branch. Perhaps this new version is from a Google employee who was testing the other branch while it was being developed? It's certainly no guarantee, and I'm sure Google might reuse a date code for minor updates within a short time frame. But, it's been several weeks, and there doesn't appear to be a "quick" release on the horizon like there was for 4.4.1 (which also had a T49 version) to 4.4.2.

Google has re-used the date code on minor updates in the past, but they were all from the same internal code branch, so only the last character was changing. But who knows.. this--along with all the other discussion about it--is pure speculation. Google is pretty good about keeping updates under wraps until they are ready to release them.

-Mike

Guest kamiller42

Now I'm confused. Is the Nexus 5 sparked or not?

I thought we just had to enable the extra bands. There are people saying they are connecting Spark right now. Then I read you can't because Nexus 5 is not Spark ready software wise.

I'm in a Spark area with a Nexus 5. I enabled the extra bands. How will I know if I am connected to the new bands, aka on the Spark network?

Now I'm confused. Is the Nexus 5 sparked or not?

I thought we just had to enable the extra bands. There are people saying they are connecting Spark right now. Then I read you can't because Nexus 5 is not Spark ready software wise.

I'm in a Spark area with a Nexus 5. I enabled the extra bands. How will I know if I am connected to the new bands, aka on the Spark network?

Read other posts on this thread, but the bottom line is, yes of course our phone is "spark" capable (Tri-band) And the fact that people are able to connect to it is by sheer luck more than anything else, and most report not staying connected very long. Unlike other official "spark" devices, those have no issues with connectivity.

But just in case you do want to know what band you are connected to, here's an app that can help you with that, 

http://tinyurl.com/k2n8o34

(you will need Root access for this app to modify your band priority)

• Like 1

Read other posts on this thread, but the bottom line is, yes of course our phone is "spark" capable (Tri-band) And the fact that people are able to connect to it is by sheer luck more than anything else, and most report not staying connected very long. Unlike other official "spark" devices, those have no issues with connectivity.

But just in case you do want to know what band you are connected to, here's an app that can help you with that, 

Or you can download Signal Check Pro from the Play store.  The most recent update should work for showing Band information.

Guest kamiller42

What phones are Spark active, not Spark ready, out of the box today?

Samsung Galaxy Mini, Galaxy Mega, (also new version of Galaxy S4, not sure if its out yet) HTC One Max. LG G2 will receive the update this month and hopefully the Nexus 5 soon after.

• Like 1

Spark Active - Samsung Galaxy Mega, Samsung Galaxy S4T, Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, HTC One Max.

Spark Ready - LG G2, LG N5

I may be missing a couple...

I posted about the Nexus 5 being "stuck" on 3G before when close to an active LTE tower. Happened again today, and I don't believe it was a "scanning" timer issue, because I stayed in the same spot having lunch for about an hour and the phone never kicked over to LTE until I toggled airplane mode.   Seems like a real issue that hopefully will get resolved at some point. 

• Like 1

I posted about the Nexus 5 being "stuck" on 3G before when close to an active LTE tower. Happened again today, and I don't believe it was a "scanning" timer issue, because I stayed in the same spot having lunch for about an hour and the phone never kicked over to LTE until I toggled airplane mode.   Seems like a real issue that hopefully will get resolved at some point. 

It's probably a eCSFB issue. 4G only towers (purple ones on the sponsor maps) are not hooked up correctly to communicate with the 3G side of the network in non-incumbent markets, so in order to preserve calls and texts going to the phone, tri-band phones (which don't have SVLTE), park on 1x/3G. Robert wrote an article on the wall about it that explains better than me. 

• Like 1

I dont know if I believe this or not as there are 4 lte only towers in my area that have the eCSFB problems resolved. Unless Ericsson skips out on reporting that some 3G towers are finished

It's probably a eCSFB issue. 4G only towers (purple ones on the sponsor maps) are not hooked up correctly to communicate with the 3G side of the network in non-incumbent markets, so in order to preserve calls and texts going to the phone, tri-band phones (which don't have SVLTE), park on 1x/3G. Robert wrote an article on the wall about it that explains better than me.

Help!

Got a new Nexus 5 from the play store and am having the oddest issue.

I can only connect to 800 voice.

My phone will not make any 1900 connections voice or data. When I get to a place where 800 has no connection my phone doesn't work after about a minute of not being connected to anything I get a SIM error, restart phone and goes back to not working. It is like 1900mhz CDMA got disabled somehow. Also means I can't PRL or profile update as those are done on 1900.

I can figure it out... any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Figured out I can update PRL and Profile via WiFi....didn't help.

I dont know if I believe this or not as there are 4 lte only towers in my area that have the eCSFB problems resolved. Unless Ericsson skips out on reporting that some 3G towers are finished

I know this should go in the eCSFB thread, but I also noticed that I could connect to most, if not all purple towers in Louisville, KY (an Ericsson market) over the holidays.

Help!

Got a new Nexus 5 from the play store and am having the oddest issue.

I can only connect to 800 voice.

My phone will not make any 1900 connections voice or data. When I get to a place where 800 has no connection my phone doesn't work after about a minute of boot being connected to anything I get a SIM error, restart phone and goes back to not working. It is like 1900mhz CDMA got disabled somehow. Also means I can PRL or profile update as those are done on 1900.

I can figure it out... any help would be appreciated!

I was going to suggest going to the Radio Info screen (either with Nexus 5 Field Test or SignalCheck Pro.. there is a dialer code, but I can't remember what it is) and check the band selection in there, but when I click on it, my N5 crashes. I guess you're not supposed to do that.

Check the Radio Info screen anyway, ensure it's set to CDMA auto (PRL), LTE/CDMA auto (PRL), or LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). Each of those is valid on Sprint; it shouldn't effect what band you are on, but who knows. It might restart the radio and get you connected.

Do you have a SIM inserted? Try removing and reseating it, then reboot.

-Mike

• Like 1

I was going to suggest going to the Radio Info screen (either with Nexus 5 Field Test or SignalCheck Pro.. there is a dialer code, but I can't remember what it is) and check the band selection in there, but when I click on it, my N5 crashes. I guess you're not supposed to do that.

Check the Radio Info screen anyway, ensure it's set to CDMA auto (PRL), LTE/CDMA auto (PRL), or LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). Each of those is valid on Sprint; it shouldn't effect what band you are on, but who knows. It might restart the radio and get you connected.

Do you have a SIM inserted? Try removing and reseating it, then reboot.

-Mike

Tried toggling these...it didn't work

If it was a eCSFB issue, the I wouldn't be able to connect after cycling airplane mode one would thing, but if I toggle airplane mode, I connect to LTE just fine.   Most of the time the phone switches over to LTE, but today we were having lunch in a place literally 200 yards from a known active LTE tower, and it never auto-switched to LTE after being there 45min to an hour.  

Tried toggling these...it didn't work

Give Sprint a call, make sure they activated your phone properly. Confirm that you gave them the correct MEID, and if you read it to them off the box, confirm that it matches the phone. Confirm the SIM serial number and have them read it back to you. There are a lot of important characters that need to be just right, funny how just one wrong digit can make a huge difference! :)

-Mike

• Like 1

Give Sprint a call, make sure they activated your phone properly. Confirm that you gave them the correct MEID, and if you read it to them off the box, confirm that it matches the phone. Confirm the SIM serial number and have them read it back to you. There are a lot of important characters that need to be just right, funny how just one wrong digit can make a huge difference! :)

-Mike

Sprint Chat hopefully ftw.

I ask about Provisioning and suggested we double check the IMEI and SIM serial number.

Oooh the suspense on whether or not they will fix it!

Also being able to rattle off to them about 800 vs 1900 connections in support because of your app makes me very happy...TYTYTY!

• Like 2

That happened to me when I activated my G2 at Best Buy. My wife had LTE and I did not. One call to Sprint and LTE popped right up. It seems like unless you know there is something wrong, there is no easy way to know if the SIM is registered properly since 3G works just fine otherwise.