Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I love calling restaurants and having a food items pop up as their Caller ID. Unfortunately, when I see the food it makes me hungrier :(

-Luis

Just tried a couple of business and could only get FedEx to show.  I'll keep an eye on it for when I dial out to restaurants.  Cool feature, just wish it could work the other way around for us as well.

The caller ID feature has worked great for me from the beginning, on inbound and outbound calls.. it didn't occur to me that it was dependent on Wi-Fi until reading these posts, but that makes sense. It does seems to cache the information somewhere on the device for future calls as well. I made a test call with no Wi-Fi, no information displayed. Redialed while on Wi-Fi, and it worked; cleared the call from my history, disabled Wi-Fi, and dialed it again.. the company info still showed. Pretty cool.

This article indicates that Google Places is the source of the data, and Google plans on including personal numbers from Google accounts on there in the future as well. Looks like that part is enabled by default too, at least for me it was.. interesting.

When I was a kid, the phone rang, and you had no idea who it might be.. amazing that stuff like this and video chatting from a mobile phone is normal these days.

-Mike

• Like 1

When I was a kid, the phone rang, and you had no idea who it might be..

It also made prank phone calls far more fun when I was a kid.  No caller ID, no *69.  So, poring though an actual phone book, calling up people in my small town in the middle of the night, and admonishing in an old lady voice, "Mabel, get your dog out of my yard!" -- well, it was possible.  

Of course, this was also before cellphones became commonplace.  So, people had to be reached on landlines wherever they were.  And there was the time that we called up Wendy's around dinnertime and requested that the restaurant ask if Mr. Jass, first name Hugh, was there.  Over the phone, we heard announced into the restaurant, "Hey, is there a Hugh Jass here?"

AJ

• Like 6

Then the fun was taken to the next level when I was able to spoof my caller ID with two voice pulse lines. Had fun with that with some friends. Called one chicks roommate and had her convinced the apartment front office kept calling her and saying she was too loud and about to get evicted. Then my state made that illegal. Doh! Oh well.

• Like 1

I'm a Nexus 5 user in Chicago with a noob question on Spark:

I configured my phone for TriBand (at least I think I did) in late December.

Since doing so, I've noticed some pretty zippy download/upload speeds, up to 18down/11up Mbps (as per Sensorly). Before enabling TriBand, these numbers were more in the 4-8Mbps range.

However, since my Nexus is not Sprint branded (it's from Google Play Store), I don't see any special network indicator (i.e. the "sparkle" icon) to let me know whether I'm really seeing TriBand performance.

Is there some way to confirm that I've actually configured my phone for TriBand and I'm seeing "Spark" performance?

Edited by optiongeek

I'm a Nexus 5 user in Chicago with a noob question on Spark:

I configured my phone for TriBand (at least I think I did) in late December.

Since doing so, I've noticed some pretty zippy download/upload speeds, up to 18down/11up Mbps (as per Sensorly). Before enabling TriBand, these numbers were more in the 4-8Mbps range.

However, since my Nexus is not Sprint branded (it's from Google Play Store), I don't see any special network indicator (i.e. the "sparkle" icon) to let me know whether I'm really seeing TriBand performance.

Is there some way to confirm that I've actually configured my phone for TriBand and I'm seeing "Spark" performance?

There is no Sprint branded Nexus5, they are all the same.

Has anyone tried to disable notifications for a particular app by long pressing on a notification or going to Settings > Apps and unchecking "Show notifications"? I did that for a game that doesn't let you configure the notifications.. I don't see them, but the sound is still played. Took me two weeks to figure out why I thought I was hearing things..

-Mike

• Like 1

I don't see any special network indicator (i.e. the "sparkle" icon) to let me know whether I'm really seeing TriBand performance.

There currently is no 'sparkle' icon for any nexus 5 phones.

while you can enable band 26 and 41, there is apparently still a future update that has not yet been released for full spark compatibility.

The LTE engineering screen will indicate what band you are currently connected.

Has anyone tried to disable notifications for a particular app by long pressing on a notification or going to Settings > Apps and unchecking "Show notifications"? I did that for a game that doesn't let you configure the notifications.. I don't see them, but the sound is still played. Took me two weeks to figure out why I thought I was hearing things..

-Mike

I got rid of the system update notification using this method. I haven't tried it on anything else. I want the notifications! Ha

There currently is no 'sparkle' icon for any nexus 5 phones.

while you can enable band 26 and 41, there is apparently still a future update that has not yet been released for full spark compatibility.

The LTE engineering screen will indicate what band you are currently connected.

SPARK.

not sparkle.

jeesh.

:wall:

• Like 1

I leave Sunday for a week in Disney and will check what I can with my EVO LTE so it wont be as good as a Triband device. Just hoping to have coverage at the parks and surrounding area. :)

Was at Disney World over Christmas and New Years. There is solid LTE through all Disney World parks. Data is unusable at Universal Studios.

• Like 2

Was at Disney World over Christmas and New Years. There is solid LTE through all Disney World parks. Data is unusable at Universal Studios.

Im glad to here that we were there jan 2013 and both voice and data were worthless anywhere in disney world.

Sent from tapatalk

• Like 1

Good to know! I will be going there this summer.  Usable data would be nice to have.  Back in October, 2012, EVDO was terribly slow and timed out quite frequently.

Good to know! I will be going there this summer.  Usable data would be nice to have.  Back in October, 2012, EVDO was terribly slow and timed out quite frequently.

About time you get there in the summer there would likely be LTE 1900, 800, and 2600 there.

• Like 1

Calling out definitely works on wifi... it's the calling in (from a number that you've never called) that seems to be spotty on sprint.  I'm guessing it is impossible on cellular only since there is no data connection when the phone is ringing... but presumably on wifi should work (although i've not seen it).

Ahh. Didn't catch that part of the convo. I don't have experience since I only use about 20 min a month.

I finally found the posts that said Sprint would never get another Nexus.  I wanted to do the "I told you so!" thing, but he's since been banned. :(

Post 1

Post 2

Oh well. 

EDIT: Found a post 3 for the lolz.

Doesn't count when all three posts are from the same person! lol! Haha a banned person none the less! 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why Sprint hasn't made the Universal Studios area more of a priority, if I remember correctly the site closest to there is till legacy. COME ON BAND 41 / SPARK(le) UPDATE! ;)

Has anyone actually seen the caller ID feature work on their device?  It was such a cool idea (after Google effectively nudered Mr. Number), but all I seem to get from it is the state the area code came from.

It works spotty for me, works when I call my apartment complex, but not when they call me. Haven't seen it work any other time.

I'm not sure why Sprint hasn't made the Universal Studios area more of a priority, if I remember correctly the site closest to there is till legacy.

In Network Vision, the entire network is the priority.  Sprint has made seemingly no moves to prioritize business districts, stadiums, amusement parks, etc.  Those sites will be completed as soon as possible, just like other sites.

AJ

• Like 7

"You are unique my dear, just like everyone else."

No, I like to put it a bit more forcefully...

AJ

• Like 1

In Network Vision, the entire network is the priority. Sprint has made seemingly no moves to prioritize business districts, stadiums, amusement parks, etc. Those sites will be completed as soon as possible, just like other sites.

AJ

At least Met Life stadium is complete for the super bowl. Wonder how that will hold up.

Sent from my Nexus 5