Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

At least Met Life stadium is complete for the super bowl. Wonder how that will hold up.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I would assume they will roll in a few COW also. This is what they did when we had the Super Bowl in Indianapolis http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-enhances-3g-network-coverage-in-indianapolis.htm

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At least Met Life stadium is complete for the super bowl. Wonder how that will hold up.

I would assume they will roll in a few COW also. This is what they did when we had the Super Bowl in Indianapolis http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-enhances-3g-network-coverage-in-indianapolis.htm

The NFL is pushing team stadiums to install or upgrade their existing Wi-Fi networks.  In Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium now has a good Wi-Fi network.  In Indianapolis, Lucas Oil Stadium has an excellent Wi-Fi network -- probably beefed up for the Super Bowl two years ago -- plus, network installation is easier in an enclosed stadium.  I have not been to the Meadowlands since MetLife Stadium replaced Giants Stadium, but being such a new venue built with the promise of a Super Bowl, it almost certainly has a solid Wi-Fi network, too.

In other words, Wi-Fi is taking over at these events, while cellular data is becoming a fallback.  And that is as it should be.  Realistically, cellular data just cannot keep up with 60,000 smartphones in a confined area.

AJ

• Like 8

uploadfromtaptalk1389631148430.jpg

Wow. With Qualcomm's Battery Guru, my battery life has increased exponentially on my Nexus 5. I'm going to experiment with it today and see how it performs overall. Its still learning my usage habits, so I may get most of today with good battery life too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1389631148430.jpgWow. With Qualcomm's Battery Guru, my battery life has increased exponentially on my Nexus 5. I'm going to experiment with it today and see how it performs overall. Its still learning my usage habits, so I may get most of today with good battery life too.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use Battery Guru, too. I usually see 35-40 hours between charges with moderate use. Not bad at all. Are you also using ART? I hear that helps a lot with battery life with the N5.

I use Battery Guru, too. I usually see 35-40 hours between charges with moderate use. Not bad at all. Are you also using ART? I hear that helps a lot with battery life with the N5.

No, never had a chance to switch to ART. Still using Dalvik. I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I noticed a big difference when I flashed the dalvik and bionic library optimizations. I can't use ART since Xposed framework doesn't work with that and there's no way I could give up Xposed.

• Like 3

I noticed a big difference when I flashed the dalvik and bionic library optimizations. I can't use ART since Xposed framework doesn't work with that and there's no way I could give up Xposed.

The davlik and bionic libraries have done well for my battery also. These optimizations plus greenify are awesome!

The NFL is pushing team stadiums to install or upgrade their existing Wi-Fi networks.  In Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium now has a good Wi-Fi network.  In Indianapolis, Lucas Oil Stadium has an excellent Wi-Fi network -- probably beefed up for the Super Bowl two years ago -- plus, network installation is easier in an enclosed stadium.  I have not been to the Meadowlands since MetLife Stadium replaced Giants Stadium, but being such a new venue built with the promise of a Super Bowl, it almost certainly has a solid Wi-Fi network, too.

In other words, Wi-Fi is taking over at these events, while cellular data is becoming a fallback.  And that is as it should be.  Realistically, cellular data just cannot keep up with 60,000 smartphones in a confined area.

AJ

The Superdome did a massive update to its Wi-Fi network before this season started and it was very noticeable.  

• Like 1

I'm using ART on my N5 and it takes a day of heavy use, SIM-swapping and iffy signals in some areas to kill the battery. Normally now I can hit 36+ hours on a charge, but away from home I tend to use my phone more. Other than ART I haven't done any battery life optimizations.

Side note, and this is a cros-post, I can detect band 41 LTE (marked as CLEAR) on my phone when I go to the network selection screen with a T-Mobile SIM (I'm using the $30 100 minute plan), as well as something from MCC-MNC 311-870 with no carrier name. Anyone know what the latter is? I can't connect to either with my TMo SIM, and switching to Sprint doesn't help, but at least I can tell where I'd be able to get Spark speeds if my phone had the firmware update or whatever required to connect to the darned towers.

I'm using ART on my N5 and it takes a day of heavy use, SIM-swapping and iffy signals in some areas to kill the battery. Normally now I can hit 36+ hours on a charge, but away from home I tend to use my phone more. Other than ART I haven't done any battery life optimizations.

Side note, and this is a cros-post, I can detect band 41 LTE (marked as CLEAR) on my phone when I go to the network selection screen with a T-Mobile SIM (I'm using the $30 100 minute plan), as well as something from MCC-MNC 311-870 with no carrier name. Anyone know what the latter is? I can't connect to either with my TMo SIM, and switching to Sprint doesn't help, but at least I can tell where I'd be able to get Spark speeds if my phone had the firmware update or whatever required to connect to the darned towers.

I'm using ART also and I get about 12 hours of heavy use. Not playing games, mainly web browsing. I usually keep have Wi-Fi off unless there isn't LTE where I am at.

you don't have to take the sim out to scan for networks. I switched my phone to LTE/gsm mode and was able to scan.

So this morning, something unusual happened. I took my phone off the charger at 7:30, like I do every morning, and I used it for about half an hour, checking social media, looking up news, and what not. The phone went down to about 95%, which is fine. But then after about 5 minutes of putting it down, I checked and it said 96%. I clicked on the battery information and effectively the little line graph showed a slight increase.

I'm a little worried this might be from a faulty battery, or should I chalk it up to a bug?

-Luis

The phone went down to about 95%, which is fine. But then after about 5 minutes of putting it down, I checked and it said 96%. I clicked on the battery information and effectively the little line graph showed a slight increase.

Oh my god, you just reversed the first law of thermodynamics.  Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but you just created it.  In fact, you must be God.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Oh my god, you just reversed the first law of thermodynamics.  Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but you just created it.  In fact, you must be God.

;)

AJ

LOOOL! In all seriousness though, should I be worried about this?

Never had a phone that did this, so I'm not sure if it could be a hardware issue of a software glitch.

-Luis

LOOOL! In all seriousness though, should I be worried about this?

Never had a phone that did this, so I'm not sure if it could be a hardware issue of a software glitch.

14m6old.png

This is my Nexus 7 today.  I guess I just created energy, too.  And that makes me a god.  Woo hoo!

Now, do you still think you should be worried?

AJ

I am...

I am pretty sure it is fine since the N5 was just recently unplugged and it usually takes a little while to calculate estimated battery drain/time remaining, it could be a small hiccup in trying to estimate overall battery level over such a short time frame.

• Like 2

So this morning, something unusual happened. I took my phone off the charger at 7:30, like I do every morning, and I used it for about half an hour, checking social media, looking up news, and what not. The phone went down to about 95%, which is fine. But then after about 5 minutes of putting it down, I checked and it said 96%. I clicked on the battery information and effectively the little line graph showed a slight increase.

I'm a little worried this might be from a faulty battery, or should I chalk it up to a bug?

-Luis

I see this happen after any extended use of my N5. It seems it overestimates the battery use, and once it sits idle for a few minutes, it recalculates back up to where the level actually is.

I see this happen after any extended use of my N5. It seems it overestimates the battery use, and once it sits idle for a few minutes, it recalculates back up to where the level actually is.

Makes sense.

It just did it again btw. It went down to 81%, then when I checked it was back up to 82%. Now it's back to 81%

Oh well, as long as it's nothing to be alarmed about :P

-Luis

Yeah, happens on my n5 as well as my one max. 

So sifting through the posts,  the N5 can be switched with tmobile and sprint.  I got a tmobile N5 16GB for a great deal but can't seem to activate it with sprint.  I have the SIM from sprint and it appears that the problem is the phone is not on sprints database.  Would of thought that adding in the IMEI would be simple...not.  I would assume the IMEI's are distributed among the carriers for activation?  Have been trying to get this activated since the beginning of the year. :angry:

Sent from my Nexus 5

Considering the build they are putting in, and the COWs, I'm sure it will be good.

I've seen the build firsthand, wow.

• Like 1

Considering the build they are putting in, and the COWs, I'm sure it will be good.

I've seen the build firsthand, wow.

The issues really should be just voice and SMS everywhere plus data in the parking lots and areas around the stadium.  Inside the stadium, most data should be on Wi-Fi.  The big problem, though, is awareness:  many attendees are simply oblivious that industrial class Wi-Fi is available.

AJ

• Like 1

The issues really should be just voice and SMS everywhere plus data in the parking lots and areas around the stadium.  Inside the stadium, most data should be on Wi-Fi.  The big problem, though, is awareness:  many attendees are simply oblivious that industrial class Wi-Fi is available.

AJ

I don't know if WIFI is actually on air at the stadium. 

But yes, with the amount of equipment installed, it should be ok.

AJ

What they really need to do is make both the device and the network aware, so that if the network determines they are in a dedicated wifi-offload area, to silently connect via wifi.

When the device leave the wifi offload area, it should silently return to the last mode set by the user, shutting off wifi automatically if it was silently turned on.

Much like how the network is supposed to be able to make the device hand off to band 26/41 as necessary.

I don't know if WIFI is actually on air at the stadium.

It is.  MetLife Stadium is one of the dozen or so that already meet NFL standards.  Considering its young age and imminent Super Bowl, it might have the best Wi-Fi network in the league.

AJ