Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

What they really need to do is make both the device and the network aware, so that if the network determines they are in a dedicated wifi-offload area, to silently connect via wifi.

When the device leave the wifi offload area, it should silently return to the last mode set by the user, shutting off wifi automatically if it was silently turned on.

Much like how the network is supposed to be able to make the device hand off to band 26/41 as necessary.

I don't think many of us like our phones silently doing anything we haven't approved of.  And to whit I refer, those annoying "open wifi network available" even when wifi is turned off and in a few instances, some phones will automatically (at least in the past) connect to any open wifi source.

That is certainly not a good security practice and many can attest to having this occur in public places like campgrounds who have had their computers corrupted thinking they were connecting to a legitimate network.

The handoff between bands though is something that should be seamless.

I am not talking about automatically trying to connect to random open networks ala sprint optimizer.

I am referring to dedicated carrier secured/approved/implemented wifi offload areas.

In these cases, devices should be silently switch to wifi just exactly how they would handoff to 1x/3g/lte/roaming, or any other carrier sanctioned transport.

In other words, if sprint is providing 1x, 3g, LTE, and WIFI, then the network and device should balance transport loads across all available mediums (and not just blindly overload the wifi network either).

• Like 1

I am not talking about automatically trying to connect to random open networks ala sprint optimizer.

I am referring to dedicated carrier secured/approved/implemented wifi offload areas.

In these cases, devices should be silently switch to wifi just exactly how they would handoff to 1x/3g/lte/roaming, or any other carrier sanctioned transport.

In other words, if sprint is providing 1x, 3g, LTE, and WIFI, then the network and device should balance transport loads across all available mediums (and not just blindly overload the wifi network either).

This is certainly not that hard to do, and I would approve of.  Intelligent network management is a good thing especially in highly concentrated usage areas such as major sporting event or convention.  

Republic Wireless, T-Mobile and a bunch of cheap MVNO's already try to shunt most of their service when possible to a wifi offload solution.

So sifting through the posts,  the N5 can be switched with tmobile and sprint.  I got a tmobile N5 16GB for a great deal but can't seem to activate it with sprint.  I have the SIM from sprint and it appears that the problem is the phone is not on sprints database.  Would of thought that adding in the IMEI would be simple...not.  I would assume the IMEI's are distributed among the carriers for activation?  Have been trying to get this activated since the beginning of the year. :angry:

There is no "T-Mobile" Nexus 5 or "Sprint" Nexus 5.. every single Nexus 5 is identical (except for 16/32 GB and white/black), no matter where you bought it from -- T-Mobile, Google Play, Sprint, eBay, or that guy in the white van parked in the back of the Home Depot lot.

The 16GB model is sold by Sprint, so they should have no problem activating it for you. Some early adopters had issues with the 32GB version because Sprint did not have that on file yet, but that problem has long since been resolved. If you are using the IMEI to try activating, leave off the last digit (which makes it identical to the MEID). They will need the serial number from the SIM card as well -- double and triple check the numbers on both; 99% of the issues I have seen are from misread (by users) or mistyped (by Sprint) characters.

I was able to activate my 32GB online nearly 2 months ago with Sprint's automated system; at the end it bounced me to a brief chat where I had to provide the SIM info, since that was not part of the website. The entire process took about 5 minutes.

-Mike

• Like 2

There is no "T-Mobile" Nexus 5 or "Sprint" Nexus 5.. every single Nexus 5 is identical (except for 16/32 GB and white/black), no matter where you bought it from -- T-Mobile, Google Play, Sprint, eBay, or that guy in the white van parked in the back of the Home Depot lot.

The 16GB model is sold by Sprint, so they should have no problem activating it for you. Some early adopters had issues with the 32GB version because Sprint did not have that on file yet, but that problem has long since been resolved. If you are using the IMEI to try activating, leave off the last digit (which makes it identical to the MEID). They will need the serial number from the SIM card as well -- double and triple check the numbers on both; 99% of the issues I have seen are from misread (by users) or mistyped (by Sprint) characters.

I was able to activate my 32GB online nearly 2 months ago with Sprint's automated system; at the end it bounced me to a brief chat where I had to provide the SIM info, since that was not part of the website. The entire process took about 5 minutes.

-Mike

Mike, thanks For the info. I was under the impression that the nexus 5 is identical as well. But why would the meid not show up in sprints database? I called sprint again after the 100th time and the ticket that was opened up was closed. They said the phone was defective...

I called Google and LG. Google says the phones are all identical. Lg on the other hand says the phones that are distributed to carriers are only for those carriers. But that doesn't make sense since these phones are essentially not carrier locked.

Now what I'm curious is how the imei's are distributed. If lg phones going to t mobile, theoretically sprint wouldn't have my imei/meid in their database. I always thought that imei/meid's are distributed in a global level. No?

The rep at sprint corp store tried everything they could and the phone couldn't be activated. Is it because the phone was originally purchased from T-Mobile?

Edited by spoolinspoon

Mike, thanks For the info. I was under the impression that the nexus 5 is identical as well. But why would the meid not show up in sprints database? I called sprint again after the 100th time and the ticket that was opened up was closed. They said the phone was defective...

Did you have them read back the MEID they had in the system? Did you double-check it not only with the box, but also the phone itself? Maybe things got mixed up and the label on the box has an error or doesn't match your device. What does Sprint say when you tell them you've already been using it on T-Mobile?

I called Google and LG. Google says the phones are all identical. Lg on the other hand says the phones that are distributed to carriers are only for those carriers. But that doesn't make sense since these phones are essentially not carrier locked.

Google is right. The rep from LG was probably just speaking based off knowledge of just about every other phone with a US provider. They aren't "essentially" not carrier locked--they aren't locked at all.

The rep at sprint corp store tried everything they could and the phone couldn't be activated. Is it because the phone was originally purchased from T-Mobile?

Nope. About 6 years ago I got a new Nextel ic902, a "hybrid" device that used both Nextel and Sprint (side note: still might be my favorite phone ever). Purchased from Sprint with my contract upgrade, in-store, activated in-store. For 2 weeks I had nothing but problems with the phone. Numerous store visits and tech support calls from airport payphones while I was traveling got me nowhere. Reps started coming up with wacky excuses like the phone wasn't allowed on my plan, my plan was discontinued, all sorts of silliness. Finally after two calls to Executive Services (I think that's what it was called; seemed like the precursor to Dan@Sprint), someone figured it out -- it was a typo on my device's entry in their system, I believe on the Nextel SIM. Corrected within seconds, bang, instantly fixed. It was done wrong at the store on Day 1, and none of the other reps ever paid close enough attention when verifying the number.

If you are certain they have the right MEID, try contacting dan@sprint.com. They are a bit more knowledgeable and detail-oriented than the average first-tier support rep, and might have more information at their disposal than someone at a store.

-Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. I'll continue to try to get the phone activated. I pulled the MEID from the phone itself. The tech also repeated d it and it just shows as an invalid number. I've contacted dan@sprint.com to try and rectify this issue. Hopefully I can get the phone on the network. I really hate to switch carriers since ive been on SERO since it existed. Im sure sprint would love to have me off the sero plan though.

If you take your box to the store they can bar code scan what they need right off the box. That is how I watched them activate mine. They hit the box and sim with their bar code scanner. I'm also on sero and have a 32g phone. No issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike. I'll continue to try to get the phone activated. I pulled the imei from the phone itself. The tech also repeated d it and it just shows as an invalid number.

As mentioned before, leave the last digit from the imei off. I have a 32gb and started the activation online with no issue

Sent from my Nexus 5

I understand the MEID is the IMEI with the last check digit left off.

When I enter the MEID on sprint, I get "Hmmm… this number doesn't match our records, please try again."  When I was at the store, they scanned the barcode and the same thing.

I got a reply back from dan and someone is suppose to contact me.  We'll see how that goes.

I understand the MEID is the IMEI with the last check digit left off.

When I enter the MEID on sprint, I get "Hmmm… this number doesn't match our records, please try again."  When I was at the store, they scanned the barcode and the same thing.

I got a reply back from dan and someone is suppose to contact me.  We'll see how that goes.

have you tried the online chat? they typically can activate the phone without much issue.

I've always wondered why the carriers don't provide their own wifi. I'm pretty sure that AT&T has a nice sized wifi network. I imagine that having wifi in major areas would help people with the negative perceptions of slow or unusable data during events and in big tourist attractions while keeping the network stable and usable for voice and text traffic.

I installed the Qualcomm battery guru and this thing is destroying my battery in the set up/test phase. 13 hours almost 0 usage, down to less than 20% battery available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've found no difference with it installed during its learning phase, with moderate usage and a good bit of Google music streaming yesterday, 12 hrs on battery and still had about 65% battery left.  I'm skeptical that will save battery though after its learning deal. 

I've found no difference with it installed during its learning phase, with moderate usage and a good bit of Google music streaming yesterday, 12 hrs on battery and still had about 65% battery left.  I'm skeptical that will save battery though after its learning deal. 

Didn't seem to help me much, just messed up some of my sync settings.  I am going to try the Dalvik Optimizations you mentioned once the N5 gets the Spark update.

So Sprint is saying "If it is not bought from Sprint or from the Google Play store, a Sprint device then it cannot be activated"

Has there been reports of a Tmobile N5 used on Sprint?  I only recall the other way around.  I think when Sprint looks up the IMEI/MEID, they probably see it's a tmobile phone and getting it added into the white list is nearly impossible.

Edited by spoolinspoon

So Sprint is saying "If it is not bought from Sprint or from the Google Play store, a Sprint device then it cannot be activated"

Has there been reports of a Tmobile N5 used on Sprint?  I only recall the other way around.  I think when Sprint looks up the IMEI/MEID, they probably see it's a tmobile phone and getting it added into the white list is nearly impossible.

Have you tried the chat? I had the same issue when I picked mine up from the google play store, where it would not recognize it, a number of people had issues initially, and they were eventually able to activate. Sprint in-acted some bizarre policy that does not allow CS to activate devices over the phone or in store using BYOD.

Not that I can think of, but it really shouldn't matter. Keep us up-to-date if you ever find a resolution for this or not.  This way we may be able to steer others with this issue in the right direction.

Have you tried the chat? I had the same issue when I picked mine up from the google play store, where it would not recognize it, a number of people had issues initially, and they were eventually able to activate.

Yes, I have tried the chat and they simply said they can not activate if not purchased from Sprint or Google.

Not that I can think of, but it really shouldn't matter. Keep us up-to-date if you ever find a resolution for this or not.  This way we may be able to steer others with this issue in the right direction.

I don't think it would matter.  But I know its nearly impossible to get a phone added to the system.  What is sounds like is that Sprint has a internal database of "Sprint" phones.  If it's not on the list, than its not allow.

I will keep my journey up to date on getting this activated.  If I don't find a resolution, i'm just going to order one from Google Play and sell mine on CL.

Yes, I have tried the chat and they simply said they can not activate if not purchased from Sprint or Google.

I don't think it would matter.  But I know its nearly impossible to get a phone added to the system.  What is sounds like is that Sprint has a internal database of "Sprint" phones.  If it's not on the list, than its not allow.

I will keep my journey up to date on getting this activated.  If I don't find a resolution, i'm just going to order one from Google Play and sell mine on CL.

Perhaps you could try activating it through Ting (MVNO on Sprint's Network) and that would the allow you to later activate it through Sprint? I don't know, just a thought.

I believe that only the Google sold and Sprint sold N5's have been put into the Sprint database. The ones sold by Tmo directly to their customers apparently are not in the Sprint database. And Sprint probably would think that's a good idea, in general, because it creates a way for people who bought Tmo N5's who have not paid off their device from leaving their unpaid device balance behind on Tmo.

Typically the people who buy the N5 from their wireless provider it is because they want it to be financed/subsidized. I know that most Sprint customers who bought the N5 from Sprint did so under contract. People who paid full cash price bought them from Google (because they were cheaper in most instances).

This could cause havoc on the resale market. How many Tmo purchased N5's are going to end up being sold by their original customers to people who think that they can take that device and use with Sprint?

I think we should no longer say any N5 can be used on the Sprint network. We need to be saying only N5's purchased from Google or Sprint can be used on the Sprint network.

Sprint should reconsider and find a way to add N5 MEIDs to their system like AT&T and Tmo do. They are at a disadvantage. Basically they are saying they don't want Tmo N5 customers to switch to Sprint...ever. But the reverse is not true. Sprint N5 customers can freely move to Tmo. This is going to bite them in the derriere. But it's hard to imagine if this will end up affecting 1,000 or 500,000 people. It could be pretty limited. Not sure.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

essentially all it does is disable background sync services for apps that are not often used.