Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

The G2 has better hardware than the Nexus 5, I don't think anyone would argue that. (but someone probably will in a second)  The G2 has a bigger screen, bigger battery, better camera.

For myself the Nexus 5 allowed me to step up to a tri-band phone from the GS3 I had without getting locked into another 2 year commitment to Sprint. This allows me to test out Spark when we get it, and if it isn't all that and a box of chocolates like promised, I can change carriers with no hassle.   If Spark turns out to be awesome like we all expect, I may very well let Sprint give me a free G2 on an upgrade, lock in to an awesome network for another 2 years, and sell the Nexus 5 for probably dang near what I paid for it if history is any indicator. 

What is also nice about the Nexus 5 is that I've been able to run a T-mobile SIM on the $30 plan while I wait for a few more LTE towers to come on line here in AZ. I need about 3 more towers in my area to be LTE accepted and I'll drop the Sprint SIM back in.   Until then I'm paying for 2 wireless plans, but honestly with the price of Sprint SERO + TMO $30/mo. I'm still paying less than my friends on AT&T :)   

None of those specs on the LG G2 make it a superior phone, battery life has gotten extremely good on my N5, while the G2's will battery will probably not improve much because of bloatware, and the camera quality has also improved (and will continue to with google's updates) and the utmost important thing to most S4GRU members, radio performance! LG G2 is a very average performer in that department. Subsequently people don't realize that google is subsidizing the hardware through their own OS, whereas other HW manufacturers cannot do this. Hence the unbelievable price! But, to each their own, the G2 does happen to temporarily be able to pick up Band 41 where as the N5 can not, so there's that.

There have been plenty of post that have the nexus 5 picking up band 41 and the G2 LTE 1900 performance and 1xRTT performance is average but its EvDo performance surpasses even the nexus 5. We have also yet to see which is the better band 41 and 26 performer since its not widely available. The radio performance argument is null and void until Sprint's network is more complete.

None of those specs on the LG G2 make it a superior phone, battery life has gotten extremely good on my N5, while the G2's will battery will probably not improve much because of bloatware, and the camera quality has also improved (and will continue to with google's updates) and the utmost important thing to most S4GRU members, radio performance! LG G2 is a very average performer in that department. Subsequently people don't realize that google is subsidizing the hardware through their own OS, whereas other HW manufacturers cannot do this. Hence the unbelievable price! But, to each their own, the G2 does happen to temporarily be able to pick up Band 41 where as the N5 can not, so there's that.

There have been plenty of post that have the nexus 5 picking up band 41 and the G2 LTE 1900 performance and 1xRTT performance is average but its EvDo performance surpasses even the nexus 5. We have also yet to see which is the better band 41 and 26 performer since its not widely available. The radio performance argument is null and void until Sprint's network is more complete.

In my experience the G2 1xRTT and EVDO performance and B25 + B41 LTE is average which is confirmed in the FCC documentation. Its 1xRTT performance is weaker then the GS4T which is itself a tiny bit weaker than the Nexus 5. EVDO performance is the same as the GS4T which is inferior to Nexus 5.

LG G2 LTE b41 is ~8-10 RSRP weaker than the GS4T. LG G2 B25 LTE is ~10 dBM weaker than Nexus B25 PCS LTE. Going by FCC docs the same would apply for B41 when comparing the G2 & Nexus 5.

This leads me to conclude that the G2 radio is average overall compared to the Nexus 5 and GS4T which have excellent radios. 

See here : http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5273-samsung-galaxy-s4t-l720t-tri-band-user-discussion-thread/?p=261709

• Like 1

In my experience the G2 1xRTT and EVDO performance and B25 + B41 LTE is average which is confirmed in the FCC documentation. Its 1xRTT performance is weaker then the GS4T which is itself a tiny bit weaker than the Nexus 5. EVDO performance is the same as the GS4T which is inferior to Nexus 5.

LG G2 LTE b41 is ~8-10 RSRP weaker than the GS4T. LG G2 B25 LTE is ~10 dBM weaker than Nexus B25 PCS LTE. Going by FCC docs the same would apply for B41 when comparing the G2 & Nexus 5.

This leads me to conclude that the G2 radio is average overall compared to the Nexus 5 and GS4T which have excellent radios.

See here : http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5273-samsung-galaxy-s4t-l720t-tri-band-user-discussion-thread/?p=261709

Can you show us what numbers you're referring to when looking at the FCC documents?

Sent from my LG-G2

No one in Alu market have picked up B41 with a N5, as far as I know, and to be honest, 3G signal strength has not been an issue for a very long time. Having persistent LTE is the current defacto requirement. Especially considering 1900's limited coverage range.

Can you show us what numbers you're referring to when looking at the FCC documents?

Sent from my LG-G2

LG G2: 

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: 19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850), 21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900), 23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900), 17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)

SGS4T: (under SAR evaluation report)

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CDMA BC10) 24.97 dBm, (CL 850 CDMA/EVDO) 24.89 dBm, (PCS CDMA/EVDO) 24.70 dBm , (B25 LTE 1900) 23.00 dBm , (B26 LTE 800) 24.32 dBm , (B41 LTE 2500) LTE 24.35 dBm. 

Nexus 5 : (SAR Evaluation report) 

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CL 850 CDMA BC0 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.5 dBm, (PCS BC1 CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.6 dBm, (eSMR 800 CDMA BC10) 24.5 dBm, (LTE Band 25 PCS) 23.5 dBm, (LTE Band 26 eSMR) 23.7 dBm, (LTE TDD Band 41) 21.5 dBm
  • Like 3

When Sprint has their network properly built out, the whole this radio vs that radio debate won't matter much.

It will always be a debate as it will be a LONG time, if ever, that a carrier has 100% coverage of the US in all places.

• Like 7

When Sprint has their network properly built out, the whole this radio vs that radio debate won't matter much.

Tell that to those that live at the fringe of signal, no matter what carrier.

It will always be a debate as it will be a LONG time, if ever, that a carrier has 100% coverage of the US in all places.

My point exactly...

No one in Alu market have picked up B41 with a N5, as far as I know, and to be honest, 3G signal strength has not been an issue for a very long time. Having persistent LTE is the current defacto requirement. Especially considering 1900's limited coverage range.

I have

These same numbers say that the LG G2 could possibly be more capable at band 25 than its current radios are letting us get. Just like a software update decreased the nexus 5 lte performance the G2 could increase in performance once the spark update is applied.

<p>

LG G2:

• RF ERP/EIRP maximum: 19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850), 21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900), 23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900), 17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)
SGS4T: (under SAR evaluation report)
  • RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CDMA BC10) 24.97 dBm, (CL 850 CDMA/EVDO) 24.89 dBm, (PCS CDMA/EVDO) 24.70 dBm , (B25 LTE 1900) 23.00 dBm , (B26 LTE 800) 24.32 dBm , (B41 LTE 2500) LTE 24.35 dBm.
Nexus 5 : (SAR Evaluation report)
  • RF ERP/EIRP maximum: (CL 850 CDMA BC0 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.5 dBm, (PCS BC1 CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO) 24.6 dBm, (eSMR 800 CDMA BC10) 24.5 dBm, (LTE Band 25 PCS) 23.5 dBm, (LTE Band 26 eSMR) 23.7 dBm, (LTE TDD Band 41) 21.5 dBm

These same numbers say that the LG G2 could possibly be more capable at band 25 than its current radios are letting us get. Just like a software update decreased the nexus 5 lte performance the G2 could increase in performance the spark update is applied.

I think I recall the Nexus 5 having different numbers...

I disagree. Driving around and going in and out of buildings, you will frequently be near the edge of service. Tell this to my dear Verizon friends with the Note 3. They are finding all kinds of LTE 750 holes that didn't exist on their previous device. And also, since LTE airlink is fragile, a stronger signal can make a critical difference in performance. In the case of 10dB difference in LTE signal, it could be up to 15-20Mbps slower.

Radio performance is always important in the LTE era. But your basic point stands that it is down right critical during deployment.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

Quick question. What would make the G2 have better speed test results from the same sector and all with a lower signal than a nexus 5 with a better signal but the results are not as fast?

I disagree. Driving around and going in and out of buildings, you will frequently be near the edge of service. Tell this to my dear Verizon friends with the Note 3. They are finding all kinds of LTE 750 holes that didn't exist on their previous device. And also, since LTE airlink is fragile, a stronger signal can make a critical difference in performance. In the case of 10dB difference in LTE signal, it could be up to 15-20Mbps slower. Radio performance is always important in the LTE era. But your basic point stands that it is down right critical during deployment. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Quick question. What would make the G2 have better speed test results from the same sector and all with a lower signal than a nexus 5 with a better signal but the results are not as fast?

I would need to observe the findings myself. I've also heard the opposite occurring.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I disagree. Driving around and going in and out of buildings, you will frequently be near the edge of service. Tell this to my dear Verizon friends with the Note 3. They are finding all kinds of LTE 750 holes that didn't exist on their previous device. And also, since LTE airlink is fragile, a stronger signal can make a critical difference in performance. In the case of 10dB difference in LTE signal, it could be up to 15-20Mbps slower. Radio performance is always important in the LTE era. But your basic point stands that it is down right critical during deployment. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I can testify to what you just said!  I briefly had a Verizon Note 3.  I got "no service" or 1X in the building where I work.  My VZW Droid Bionic in the same places holds a few bars of LTE.  I just purchased a Sprint GN3 and there is a HUGE real world difference in LTE performance and reception over the Verizon version!  I'm actually very impressed with what the Sprint GN3 can do inside buildings with 1900 MHz LTE! 

• Like 3

Well I can definitely say having all three bands or even two takes a toll on battery left. With one band enabled I could make it through a full day of work. 12 hours Using play music streaming and calls over Bluetooth. I turned on one of the other bands accidentally and my battery life was cut in half.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Is this why lg Google are waiting to release the update?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well I can definitely say having all three bands or even two takes a toll on battery left. With one band enabled I could make it through a full day of work. 12 hours Using play music streaming and calls over Bluetooth. I turned on one of the other bands accidentally and my battery life was cut in half.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Is this why lg Google are waiting to release the update?

I own a LG G2 and notice no difference in battery life with the other bands turned on or off.

Sent from my LG G2.

• Like 1

I own a LG G2 and notice no difference in battery life with the other bands turned on or off.

Sent from my LG G2.

I have all three bands enabled. I am currently at 65% battery life with 22 1/2 hours runtime and an estimated 26 hours remaining.

You two have lg g2 so there may be a difference.

I've experimented with the other bands on and off and haven't noticed a difference either way.

Same here, I actually turned off 41 and 26 a couple of weeks ago to see if it made any difference on battery life. It didn't.

I don't think we need to continue down the road of turning this into a G2 vs. N5 thread, they are both great phones that make my 6-year-old laptop look like an abacus..

-Mike

• Like 4