Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

After watching my phone's behavior on .13, I think I have a theory as to what is going on with the radio, and it has to do with ecfsb and Band 26 (and possibly Band 41). I believe what is happening is that our phones connect fine to Band 25, which doesn't have a csfb problem.  However, in scanning other bands and measuring capacity, it switches over to Band 26, either after a few minutes, or 30 minutes. When trying to connect to Band 26, it encounters the csfb problem with that particular band, and goes to 3G and stays there, which is consistent with what I've seen with csfb issues on Band 25.

This would explain why we don't see the "3g camping" on .15, the radio that is much more tolerant of csfb issues. This would also explain why we didn't see the issue on .23, which never could connect to Band 26. 

This would further explain why the "3g camping" is sporadic and not that predictable, because it only occurs when the phone attempts to connect to Band 26 after measuring capacity.

EDIT: this would also explain why some folks who used to have the problem, are not having the problem any more, because Sprint has fixed the csfb issue.

Am I way off base?

Also, and perhaps this is a question for the csfb thread, but does Sprint have a way of detecting csfb problems other than manually testing every tower? Or do I need to alert Sprint to my problems? (of course a low level CSR will have no idea what the problem is).

I have had the B26 CSFB issue on my home site for 1 month now on 4.4.2 / .23 radio. So for about 1 month I have been on 3G 99.8% of the time when at home.

I do not have any problems with B25/B26 on 3 other sites.

After watching my phone's behavior on .13, I think I have a theory as to what is going on with the radio, and it has to do with ecfsb and Band 26 (and possibly Band 41). I believe what is happening is that our phones connect fine to Band 25, which doesn't have a csfb problem.  However, in scanning other bands and measuring capacity, it switches over to Band 26, either after a few minutes, or 30 minutes. When trying to connect to Band 26, it encounters the csfb problem with that particular band, and goes to 3G and stays there, which is consistent with what I've seen with csfb issues on Band 25.

Interesting theory.. certainly seems plausible to me, and would explain why some of us are experiencing more of a problem than others. If you are correct, then I would expect the problem to disappear when disabling Band 26. I just did that to see if it changes anything.. I'll keep an eye on it.

-Mike

• Like 1

It's not a theory that what's kinda happening. I been had b26 enabled on my phone way before this update so I been seeing it. Some newly activated b26 sites don't get the ecsfb patch so if you connect to it the radio throws you off it because your phone won't be able to make calls while connected to that tower. It's completely random why some towers get the patch and some don't. That's all up to the vendors reasoning which is pretty unknown.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Interesting theory.. certainly seems plausible to me, and would explain why some of us are experiencing more of a problem than others. If you are correct, then I would expect the problem to disappear when disabling Band 26. I just did that to see if it changes anything.. I'll keep an eye on it.

-Mike

I believe someone in the Tampa thread had the same assertion and disabling B26 worked wonders for him.

My m8 picks up 4 band 41 sites on the way to work, this new radio on the n5 picked up 0. :/

The stock scan priority is 25-26-41. You can change that if you want.

The stock scan priority is 25-26-41. You can change that if you want.

Of course I changed it. That shouldn't matter, though. Band 41 is a network top priority, and should automatically switch you over no matter what your initial scan priority is.

My m8 picks up 4 band 41 sites on the way to work, this new radio on the n5 picked up 0. :/

Were you camped on 25/26 LTE or 3G?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Were you camped on 25/26 LTE or 3G?

25 and 3g. I've noticed that 3g drop you all have been speaking of. Meh.

25 and 3g. I've noticed that 3g drop you all have been speaking of. Meh.

It could have just been the scan times not lining up. When on 3G the phone only scans for LTE every so often, so when it scanned for b41 you may have not been in range. I bet if you toggled airplane mode near the towers you know are B41 you would get it.

-Mike

Oh, good idea. Trying that now...

Anybody else have bad priority looking like this on 4.4.3? I have priority set to 25 - 0, 26 - 1 and 41 - 0. I swear when I set priority on 4.4.2 I had 1- 3.

ybuje4ug.jpg

Did you run a profile update? It changes if you do it. Also if you just view isn't of edit I think it shows 1-3.

I did a profile update before but to make sure I did it again and my priority doesn't change.  When I was on 1.13 briefly yesterday and again today I noticed that the priority did show 1-3.  Can anyone else confirm priority 0-2 for .15?

Got the update around 4:30 this afternoon. To beat from work to bother going to the nearest location with LTE to test it, but 3G and 1x numbers look about the same...

I changed global to lte and now this phone grabs 41 the same or better than my g2 or m8. I guess I'm happy. Don't know what changed but I back tracked the route when I didn't get 41, did a profile update and changed to LTE. Fixed. We'll see how b26 works

Update arrived this afternoon from stock 4.4.2(bb.23) to 4.4.3(bb.13) it seems largely invisible to me. No obvious change in RF performance on B25. Still no luck connecting to B41, toggled in and out of airplane mode and rebooted within 1/4mile of B41 site. B26 is not here yet so i can't comment.  

So I know it is crazy but has anyone seen a mod for a multi-window like experience. I do wish I could keep 2 apps going like I did on my s4.

• Like 1