Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Strange issue with the stock Android e-mail application.. is anyone else able to set the display name on outgoing messages? I have tried setting up two separate IMAP accounts, but it puts my e-mail address where you would expect my name to be. No matter what I put in the "Your Name" field during the initial setup or in the settings menu after, it does not seem to use it.

Android bug report filed.. 'star' it so Google takes a look: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=63280

-Mike

is there a definitive PRL flashing method out yet?  One posted upthread seems to be what is used for the G2 and there is some differences between the phones.  Plus it keeps referencing diagnostic mode which doesnt appear.

It's posted on XDA - I pasted the link.  You need to be unlocked/rooted.

download the boot.img, then load the boot.img (fastboot boot boot.img)

Then your phone will reboot

make sure you load the posted LG drivers

then:

adb devices (you should see it shows device as connected and serial #)

adb shell

su

setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb

once you enter "setprop sys.usb.config diag" it will load those drivers in the background (your phone will do nothing)

then, you can connect to COM port and update the PRL as posted in the G2 method.

It sounds a lot harder than it is - really just a few steps.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has already been answered, but is there any specific reason the Nexus is so good at picking up LTE? I'm wondering if it's just a good amplifier or if it just happens to be optimized for 1900MHz.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'll tell you that band 4 (T-Mobile AWS) has actually worse reception vs. the nexus 4.

I used to get decent service at home/office with the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile.  With the Nexus 5, coverage is noticeably worse.

Definitely some band 25-specific optimizations.

• Like 1

I've always used K-@ Mail as I like the Push email from IMAP combined with the black background.  I tried the stock one but it was horrible, just like the GMail app. 

Does the stock app give you separate icons per mailbox? For example, I'd like to sync my POP3 email and EAS email, and have discreet icons for each, vs a stupid combined mailbox.

Not sure if this has already been answered, but is there any specific reason the Nexus is so good at picking up LTE? I'm wondering if it's just a good amplifier or if it just happens to be optimized for 1900MHz.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I honestly believe it's not a hardware related optimization - but rather, a software one.  I think it has to do with how the modem/baseband is programmed and Google's got the right guys working on it for the Nexus 5.  LG is supposedly going to upgrade the baseband in the G2 in the next update which may give it the performance similar to the N5.

• Like 1

I honestly believe it's not a hardware related optimization - but rather, a software one.  I think it has to do with how the modem/baseband is programmed and Google's got the right guys working on it for the Nexus 5.  LG is supposedly going to upgrade the baseband in the G2 in the next update which may give it the performance similar to the N5.

I Hope that actually does happen for the G2.  It would be such an awesome phone with enhanced RF performance.

once you enter "setprop sys.usb.config diag" it will load those drivers in the background (your phone will do nothing)

then, you can connect to COM port and update the PRL as posted in the G2 method.

It sounds a lot harder than it is - really just a few steps.

yep, tried those steps about 8 times with basic flasher and DFS. it all works according to plan except the PRL doesnt stick to the new one.  I am told it just takes a few tries to eventually get it to happen though.

yep, tried those steps about 8 times with basic flasher and DFS. it all works according to plan except the PRL doesnt stick to the new one.  I am told it just takes a few tries to eventually get it to happen though.

Yeah I had some issues with that, took a couple tries and had to manually force reboot by adb reboot

PRL will stick

Nice write up about the updated Nexus 5 camera improvements, seems very promising!! And fixes the two complaints I've had with the camera, speed and UI. Also, I wonder if 4.4.1 would include other sprint band support...hmmm

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5175568/fixing-the-nexus-5-android-4-4-1-improves-camera

• Like 1

You use the stock email app?

Yes, for now I do.. the stock HTC app on my EVO LTE worked well for me, I didn't realize the stock Android one was so different. I don't need anything crazy, but it's lacking some features I need. I plan on trying third-party apps like K9.

-Mike

The only time I confuse the power button for the volume rockers is on the Nexus 7. Who's idea was it to put both the volume rockers and the power button on the same side in very close proximity to each other?

I always end up spinning the Nexus 7 multiple times trying to find the power button. Although I love the device I wish I had more of a visual clue as to where the "top" of the device is other than the miniscule camera hole that practically disappears into the glass. I look like a fool spinning it around feeling the sides.

When I tried using the nexus 5 the other day I couldn't find the power button. I kept confusing it as part of the volume rocker. But I'm sure with some time, it's all about getting accustomed to it.

-Luis

• Like 1

Just curious, are any of you guys using your nexus 5 without a screen protector? Curious as to what your thoughts are.

I'm using only a rubber/polyurethane cover with no screen protector. I never liked how screen protectors felt, nor how bubbles and dirt get in anyway.

I always end up spinning the Nexus 7 multiple times trying to find the power button. Although I love the device I wish I had more of a visual clue as to where the "top" of the device is other than the miniscule camera hole that practically disappears into the glass. I look like a fool spinning it around feeling the sides.

When I tried using the nexus 5 the other day I couldn't find the power button. I kept confusing it as part of the volume rocker. But I'm sure with some time, it's all about getting accustomed to it.

-Luis

With the nexus 7, I know which end is which by feeling for the usb socket bump. Also, the front camera hole is pretty easy to see, the power button is near the front camera.

• Like 1

I'm using only a rubber/polyurethane cover with no screen protector. I never liked how screen protectors felt, nor how bubbles and dirt get in anyway.

With the nexus 7, I know which end is which by feeling for the usb socket bump. Also, the front camera hole is pretty easy to see, the power button is near the front camera.

I have it in a sleeve, so normally I put it in correctly, so I can always take it out with the power button on the right. But when it's lying around I'm not used to ever actively looking for the power button. I always end up spinning it anyways :P

-Luis

• Like 1

Haha I do the same thing! When the screen is off, it is difficult to figure out which end is up on the black N5. I definitely prefer the power button along the top.

-Mike

With the nexus 5 (white), the white ear speaker makes it pretty obvious, but I can see how the black would be difficult to see. Have to pay attention where the front camera is top left corner.

I'm using a cruzerlite case with a cheap screen protector. I'm tried of all the lint and it is a pain to clean it out. The phone feels so much better without a case. My HTC one I liked better with a case cause the matt finish made it slip from my hands. Debating on keeping my N5 naked.

Nice write up about the updated Nexus 5 camera improvements, seems very promising!! And fixes the two complaints I've had with the camera, speed and UI. Also, I wonder if 4.4.1 would include other sprint band support...hmmm

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5175568/fixing-the-nexus-5-android-4-4-1-improves-camera

That's a very quick update.  

I've used the camera briefly and miss how quickly the Evo takes pictures, but otherwise I don't think the camera is poor or takes washed out pics out at all. 

cr4f.jpg
  • Like 1

If reports are right and 4.4.1 is coming within the next few days, then I doubt it'll have the official Sprint Spark support in it. We know that the Spark update is coming early 2014, like the LG G2.

Of course, it would be a pleasant surprise if it was included with this update, but it mainly looks like camera fixes. Let's hope 4.4.2 comes out with Spark support and in the early part of "early 2014".

• Like 1

That's a very quick update.  

I've used the camera briefly and miss how quickly the Evo takes pictures, but otherwise I don't think the camera is poor or takes washed out pics out at all. 

If you aren't taking pics with HDR+, you aren't taking pics at all.

it's slow, but only way to currently get a decent shot with the N5.

Turn on HDR+ and take that same photo.