Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Thanks you're the man. I'll flash it later. I'm at work plus my battery is dying. I've been freaking out all day having EVO LTE flash backs of crappy reception.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Now we just need enough of us to file bug reports with google.   Maybe mikejeep can help us on that one.  Not sure if it will help but it's better than saying nothing. 

You can definitely flash a radio img (or recovery, or bootloader, or system partition) through fastboot; I had to flash system.img in order to update to 4.4.1 because I had modified system files. My only concern would be if the old radio is compatible with the new software. Sometimes mixing versions does not go well.. but hopefully if a radio rollback turns out to be the best idea, it's backwards compatible.

-Mike

so far no issues here..still testing though

I have notice when the Nexus 5 is roaming it takes awhile to go back to Sprint.

A long while.  Doesn't seem to happen if I only connect to a VZW tower for a short amount of time but if I am roaming for awhile which happens every weekday, 1900 has no chance of penetrating the walls of my office at work, I can drive about halfway home (7 miles) before the phone will automatically connect to a Sprint tower.  I find myself cycling airplane mode which is a pain in the ass.

I wonder if the result is supposed to be utilitarian(faster speeds on 3g)

I'm guessing it is more likely to combat battery drain, even fringe LTE net's me much higher speeds than 3G.

I'm on 4.4 and in my opinion it connects to weak LTE signals too much. At home it flips over to a -116 strength LTE signal which is unusable. Happens all over town. In Phoenix we are only about 15‰ deployed so connecting to weak LTE signals is a big problem and I have to force the phone to 3g if I want consistent mobile data. Maybe 4.1.1 was an over correction for this issue.

i was going to pretty much post this exact same thing...

I'm on 4.4 and in my opinion it connects to weak LTE signals too much. At home it flips over to a -116 strength LTE signal which is unusable. Happens all over town. In Phoenix we are only about 15‰ deployed so connecting to weak LTE signals is a big problem and I have to force the phone to 3g if I want consistent mobile data. Maybe 4.1.1 was an over correction for this issue.

i was going to pretty much post this exact same thing...

I would recommend just disabling LTE until you get more towers online then.  What's interesting to me is LTE at -116 is very usable for me, at least double the speed of 3G.

Any noticeable changes in battery life from the latest update?

Seems the same but I've been on my phone all day trying to fix my radio issue in which digiblur helped me solve with flashing the old radio. I'll be able to fully test this weekend.

Anyone goy any ideas why when I try to adb sideload i get a message cant read "update.zip". The device shows up when I do a adb devices with serial number. When I go into recovery it ask for the file when I type the name in command it says cant read said file.

You might want to try redownloading the file, as it may be corrupt.  

Are you making sure to put your phone in "update from adb" when in recovery mode before plugging it into the computer and using the adb sideload filename.zip command in the terminal/command line?  

Also, are you using the latest Android SDK?

Anyone goy...

Yes, I am a goy.  Are you a shiksa?

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Anyone goy any ideas why when I try to adb sideload i get a message cant read "update.zip". The device shows up when I do a adb devices with serial number. When I go into recovery it ask for the file when I type the name in command it says cant read said file.

Based on what you are saying it doesn't sound like you were in your recovery in the first place.  When in recovery(twrp) the first think you should do is click on advanced then adb sideload.  Also make sure that your android sdk is up to date.

• Like 1

Any noticeable changes in battery life from the latest update?

I have been out and about for several hours, and mine seems better.. but I have no way of knowing if it has anything to do with the radio, something in the 4.4.1 update itself, or my brain just making things up..

Not that anyone was asking for further confirmation, but LTE signal strength is definitely worse. A 50-mile round trip of mostly highway driving saw blips of LTE here and there, but less than my EVO LTE typically picked up. Two days ago, I made the same trip and the N5 was on solid LTE 100% of the time.

I saw on XDA that AT&T users saw improved connection stability with this radio.. good for them, I'm rolling it back when I get home!

-Mike

• Like 2

Now we just need enough of us to file bug reports with google. Maybe mikejeep can help us on that one. Not sure if it will help but it's better than saying nothing.

This is a Nexus radio firmware bug, not an Android bug, so the usual issue tracker isn't appropriate. I'm sure there is something out there for the Nexus, I will hunt around.

-Mike

Also, why am I still getting db ratings for my radios in signalcheck when my mobile data radios are off?

Probably because the guy who wrote it doesn't know what he is doing! ;)

Honestly, I have not heard of that happening. Email screenshots to support@bluelinepc.com.. let's not hijack this thread.

-Mike

Also, why am I still getting db ratings for my radios in signalcheck when my mobile data radios are off?

Turning them off does not necessarily stop reception.  After all, the handset is still turned on.  But it does deregister from the network and stop transmission.

AJ

Based on what you are saying it doesn't sound like you were in your recovery in the first place.  When in recovery(twrp) the first think you should do is click on advanced then adb sideload.  Also make sure that your android sdk is up to date.

I was in stock recovery but the problem that I was having was when it went into recovery mode widows no longer saw the device and I had an exclamation point in device manager. I found this information over at XDA. So I tried installing the driver in device manager manually but after selecting latest usb_drivers they still would not load, and the excalamtion point remained. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2513701

I did every thing precisely as instructed for non rooted devices from the above link.

I decided to try the let me install drivers on my PC and selected the ADB312 drivers and the exclamation point went away. I then typed adb sideload and dragged the original down loaded driver to the open comand line and boom it went through seemlessly.

So if anyone is getting an error after booting into  recovery pull of device manager to see if the drivers are failing to load, and do as I did. Select the drivers from a locaion on the PC and chooose the adb312 driver....wWindows will ask you if you are sure macheine can freeze yada yada yada go ahead and chooe that option and call it a day!

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

I updated to the 4.4.1 and I have one major annoying bug.  When I press a type field, the voice to text option pops up AND NOTHING ELSE.  I have no way to type a message or search query lol.

EDIT:  Solved by logging onto play.google.co and redownloading the stock keyboard.  It seems the keyboard was never loaded onto my phone after the wipe and update lol.  (Flash via recovery)

Having dealt with HTC my last couple of devices, I need to learn the process for updating firmware etc on the Nexus 5. For right now I would like to keep the stock ROM but basically for my scenario would be:

1. Sideload the 4.4.1 update

2. Unlock (fastboot oem unlock)

3. Flash only the radio (fastboot flash radio filename.img)

If anybody wants to outline their process of flashing the KRT16M radio, I would greatly appreciate it.

Now we just need enough of us to file bug reports with google.   Maybe mikejeep can help us on that one.  Not sure if it will help but it's better than saying nothing. 

There is no public issue tracker for the devices themselves as there is for Android; this link should get you to the proper page where you can call or e-mail Google. I just sent a message and invited them to check this thread out. I have reached out to them before and usually get a reply within the hour.

I also posted a reply on Sprint's community blog post about the update, but I expect better results with Google.

-Mike

I updated to the 4.4.1 and I have one major annoying bug.  When I press a type field, the voice to text option pops up AND NOTHING ELSE.  I have no way to type a message or search query lol.

EDIT:  Solved by logging onto play.google.co and redownloading the stock keyboard.  It seems the keyboard was never loaded onto my phone after the wipe and update lol.  (Flash via recovery)

Look at it this way.  Maybe Google thought that you were Stephen Hawking...

:P

AJ

• Like 2