Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I was able to get it to work from a N5 (4.4) to a Netgear Push2TV adapter.  It did not connect the first time but then connected on the second time.  The performance was a little choppy for video but stills seemed to work good.  

Does anyone know why you cant send multiple page texts? Is there some kind of workaround or something? I could do this on my GS3 and even my old flip phone. Other than that I absolutely love this phone! Especially that LTE performance!

The Hangouts app has that limitation, but as others have said, there are 3rd party apps that can manage this. I personally use Handcent, even though that app bloated itself. I still use it though since it works. It has the option to automatically split your text messages and even turn it into an mms if it gets past 3 sms messages.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Seems like my phone isn't connecting to LTE as much as it was since the update last night. I could be jumping the gun. I'm going to continue to watch the connectivity throughout the day and see. I'm in a Walmart where I've had LTE signal all week and this morning I'm on 3g.

Can someone help me understand if I am crazy?  I will be in Canada for a couple days next week so I chatted with international support to add the Canada voice plan to my account.  I know the Nexus is unlocked, but for the short duration I will be there it doesn't make sense to get a local prepaid.  Anyway, shortly after the chat ended, something triggered my phone for a profile update.  Ever since, my battery has been draining significantly faster and Cell Standby has jumped to the top of my battery list.  What did they do to my phone?!?! Ideas?  Thanks

Man talk about super simple.  TWRP backed up the system and data super fast even with compression turned on.  I wrote the ota zip with TWRP then flashed SuperSU root right behind.  Done.  Love it!

I guess your N5 is more motivated than mine.. I hadn't used compression before, but after I saw your post I tried it.. I hadn't done a TWRP backup with the N5 yet but it was sooooo much slower than my EVO LTE was. Took 20-25 minutes and 11% battery to back up system and data. Then flashing the update failed because I had deleted the Korean keyboard off my phone.. doh!

-Mike

Some quick observations of Android 4.4.1 on my Nexus 5.. first, the good:

• Haptic feedback is much crisper.. LOVE it. I thought it was "mushy" before; that feeling is gone.
  • The camera improvements are as good as the reports are. MUCH faster response and focus time.
  • Speaker volume is much louder, hadn't realized how much quieter it was compared to my other phones until I realized how high I had the volume.
  • The battery % in the notification pulldown is not rounded anymore. I don't remember specifics, but I feel like it was always rounded to the nearest 5 or 10%.
  • The e-mail bug I reported earlier (name does not appear on outgoing messages) is fixed.

The not so good:

• LTE signal readings appear to be about 8-10 dB weaker. At home I was well aware of what my levels were in different areas of the house, and how they compared to other LTE devices. Still slightly better than my EVO LTE, but nowhere near as much now. I now lose LTE at my desk. Since I took delivery of my N5 two weeks ago, I hadn't lost LTE anywhere in my house, ever. A Galaxy Victory within a few feet of it still shows the same LTE signal levels as before and does not lose LTE, so nothing changed with my nearby tower overnight.

I don't use LTE much at home, but when I head out later, I should be able to tell if performance is affected. Since activating this phone, I have not lost LTE anywhere I have been in Eastern MA while in the car or outside.

• Camera shots are still saved in 4:3 format instead of matching the full width of what you see when you take the picture. Seems very strange to me.. one would expect the software to either format the view as 4:3, or save the pictures full-width.

I wonder if the previous radio firmware can be loaded onto 4.4.1? I want to do some more testing with this version before I try that myself.

-Mike

• Like 3

I'm on 4.4 and in my opinion it connects to weak LTE signals too much. At home it flips over to a -116 strength LTE signal which is unusable. Happens all over town. In Phoenix we are only about 15‰ deployed so connecting to weak LTE signals is a big problem and I have to force the phone to 3g if I want consistent mobile data. Maybe 4.1.1 was an over correction for this issue.

• Like 1

If you guys go into carrier settings and hit update profile does it work? I always get network error. This happens on 4.4

It worked for me on 4.4 and confirmed it's fine on 4.4.1.. after about 20 seconds, I get "The update is complete."

-Mike

Yes the LTE radio does seem to be worse since the 4.4.1 update.  At first I thought maybe it had something to do with the ice storm we are having here in Dallas, but since reading all these post of poor LTE since the update pretty much confirms it.  

I'm on 4.4 and in my opinion it connects to weak LTE signals too much. At home it flips over to a -116 strength LTE signal which is unusable. Happens all over town. In Phoenix we are only about 15‰ deployed so connecting to weak LTE signals is a big problem and I have to force the phone to 3g if I want consistent mobile data. Maybe 4.1.1 was an over correction for this issue.

I could very well see that being the case.  My opinion of the N5 is similar to that of yours.  I do like that I can keep a fringe signal and stops my phone from searching for LTE, but since I am in the void that is otherwise known as Jacksonville's Town Center, my N5 pulls an LTE signal where others have failed, but can only pull 0.09mbps down.  I'm sure this isn't an issue for other areas.

I hear what you are saying, but if that's what they were trying to fix, they did it wrong. Instead of altering the actual signal levels (either artificially by doing some math on the reported dB, or changing something in the radio itself to reduce reception levels), they should have changed the threshold. I had a solid connection and great speeds at roughly -110 dB until the update; now that same signal is showing -120, and I am dropping back to eHRPD.

I was also wondering if the reduced signal levels had something to do with power saving; some folks weren't happy with the battery life, perhaps the radio was using too much juice to get those great signal levels? I don't know all of the technical intricacies about how radios work, but that's what my brain came up with.

-Mike

• Like 3

With the HTC One (with S-OFF), you could just package up a firmware.zip containing a previous or newer radio and flash through fastboot. I wonder if the process is similar with the Nexus 5?

You can definitely flash a radio img (or recovery, or bootloader, or system partition) through fastboot; I had to flash system.img in order to update to 4.4.1 because I had modified system files. My only concern would be if the old radio is compatible with the new software. Sometimes mixing versions does not go well.. but hopefully if a radio rollback turns out to be the best idea, it's backwards compatible.

-Mike

• Like 3

You can definitely flash a radio img (or recovery, or bootloader, or system partition) through fastboot; I had to flash system.img in order to update to 4.4.1 because I had modified system files. My only concern would be if the old radio is compatible with the new software. Sometimes mixing versions does not go well.. but hopefully if a radio rollback turns out to be the best idea, it's backwards compatible.

-Mike

I'm even willing to run the old 4.4 software in order to maintain my connectivity. I'd rather have lte than a good camera.

• Like 1

Anyone goy any ideas why when I try to adb sideload i get a message cant read "update.zip". The device shows up when I do a adb devices with serial number. When I go into recovery it ask for the file when I type the name in command it says cant read said file.

Flashed D820 KRT16M modem and signal is back to where it was yesterday. Voice and data work on the quick test I did.

Thanks you're the man. I'll flash it later. I'm at work plus my battery is dying. I've been freaking out all day having EVO LTE flash backs of crappy reception.

• Like 1