Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I would not count on that. My order from Sprint Worldwide still has not been fulfilled after nearly a month.  Sprint has little interest in supply SIMs for off contract devices, and I can understand that.

It is a Wireless Lifestyle location, and I practically guarantee that it clearly says so on the front door. I am surprised that you were not aware of that.  Even Lawrence does not have a corporate Sprint store. Only VZW and AT&T have corporate stores in town. All others are authorized third parties.

AJ

I don't try to frequent it much because the help is poor and I usually hear the manager's excuse to other customers getting help in there is "They are working on the towers". It probably does have it on the door, i just didn't notice. To me it doesn't make sense to not have SIMs available even at 3rd party stores. 

And that sucks about the SIM from WorldWide. When you ordered yours did they say 3-5 days?

Somebody should rename Sprint WorldWide to Prestige WorldWide.

I don't try to frequent it much because the help is poor and I usually hear the manager's excuse to other customers getting help in there is "They are working on the towers". It probably does have it on the door, i just didn't notice. To me it doesn't make sense to not have SIMs available even at 3rd party stores. 

And that sucks about the SIM from WorldWide. When you ordered yours did they say 3-5 days?

Somebody should rename Sprint WorldWide to Prestige WorldWide.

I had very good luck with ordering from Sprint Worldwide.  I really should have read these threads on SIM's first though. I am going to order a 32 GB Black N5.  I wanted to get the SIM in hand first.  I called Sprint last Saturday evening and the CSR didn't have any clue. I'm sure upper management at this point, has not filtered the knowledge down to the front-line troops.  Regardless, the CSR was very helpful and contacted Sprint Worldwide for me and helped me order what he thought was the correct SIM for a N5.  When I got the order confirmation, it was for a 2FF SIM.  I called again Sunday evening after I read through these threads and saw the SKU for the correct 3FF SIM.  This time I called the direct number for Sprint Worldwide (1-888-226-7212), since now I knew that's with whom I needed to deal.  The agent knew exactly what I was talking about and placed the order for me.  I tried to cancel the first order but it was past the point of no return in only one day.  Monday morning I had two UPS tracking numbers (one for the 2FF order and the second for the 3FF order). 

As I said, I should have read through these threads first to avoid having Sprint wasting money on a needless order, but I assumed after all this time has passed since November 8th, the agents would have been given the correct information. 

I'm pleased with the way I was treated and taken care of though...

Sprint has little interest in supply SIMs for off contract devices, and I can understand that.

their responsibility for having interest in it began when they committed to allowing the device on the network..or any device for that matter that is purchased at full retail.  In my opinion, I dont think they mind so much giving the SIMs out, regardless of device.  The process that had / has problems was HOW the sims would be distributed and not everyone being on the same page for their distribution.

It would be penny wise pound foolish to worry about a SIM card that costs cents and hassle the user over giving it to them so they take their business elsewhere along with the monthly plan costs sprint would otherwise get each and every month....over a matter of cents.

Anyways, Nexus 5 i ordered on the 27th of Nov. will be here tomorrow along with the case from Amazon.  SIM card from sprint should be here thursday.

A sprint sim not given out, is an opportunity for a non-sprint sim to go in.

The major impediment to getting sprint sim cards is simple ignorance, ie not being aware of sprint devices that require sim cards in the first place.

It is difficult for some people to grasp changes, when for so long 'sprint does not use sim cards' was a fact.

• Like 5

Got a good idea of the battery life.  Today is a day where I touch my phone relatively little, so on the Evo around this time I had 80% left.  With the Nexus I have > 50% left.  (I wonder if holding onto a weak LTE signal vs an okay 1x/EVDO signal is the culprit).

Something else to keep in mind.  I normally had auto-sync enabled on my Evo but had it off on my Nexus today because I didn't want to be distracted.

All in all, not horrible but not good either.  I may hold out for a Mophie battery back so I can have some breathing room on days when I use my phone more heavily.

Got a good idea of the battery life. Today is a day where I touch my phone relatively little, so on the Evo around this time I had 80% left. With the Nexus I have > 50% left. (I wonder if holding onto a weak LTE signal vs an okay 1x/EVDO signal is the culprit).

Something else to keep in mind. I normally had auto-sync enabled on my Evo but had it off on my Nexus today because I didn't want to be distracted.

All in all, not horrible but not good either. I may hold out for a Mophie battery back so I can have some breathing room on days when I use my phone more heavily.

The battery on my phone lasted 12 hrs today with 5hr 15mins of talk time via Bluetooth and an hour of on screen time. I listened to music for a while. To me it seems that the battery is on par with my EVO LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I would not count on that. My order from Sprint Worldwide still has not been fulfilled after nearly a month.  Sprint has little interest in supply SIMs for off contract devices, and I can understand that.

AJ

Do you still need one? I ordered one through chat, it eventual came about a week after my phone did, but the local Sprint store had already found one for me.

Will a Sprint store not let me have a SIM if I don't have the device on hand? Mine is being delivered tomorrow and I just wanted to get the SIM just to have it ready

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

They were a little confused, but did get me one without the device in hand.

• Like 1

They were a little confused, but did get me one without the device in hand.

Alright thanks. Just wanted to know. I'm headed to a Sprint store right now to pick one up. Hopefully they have some in stock.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I walked into my local sprint store with nexus 5 still in box. Handed it to the rep and said hi, please activate this for me. They popped in a sim and a few minutes later I left with a working phone.

A few things that might help. Go to a real sprint store, not an authorized reseller. Also the sprint store by me is one of their repair centers. If nothing else start calling all the stores in your area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's pretty much my experience other than the rep trying to sell me everything that they sell (speakers, tablets, other phones, you name it)!  What should have been a few minutes took nearly 30 minutes.  He just wouldn't quit it! -_-

I thought I'd chime in if there is anyone thinking about the N5 and Sprint MVNO Ting.

Due to overwhelming demand Ting pushed Sprint and was finally allowed/able to activate Play Store purchased N5's.  The supply of SIM's were limited but I received mine last week (Part number SIMGLW206R).  Activation was a piece of cake and the best part since Ting doesn't have contracts, they list your devices MSL on the device page of your account.  No fuss no muss.  Keeping my phone on my account only costs my $6 / mo plus any usage.  Admittedly if you are a very heavy data user or have a large number of phones on an account Ting may not be fore you.  Due to what I perceive as on going network issues in and around where I live and work I've also activated an AT&T GoPhone SIM and use it as my daily driver but will keep my Ting SIM active for testing/mapping and possible eventual full time return to Sprint.

I have also ported my permanent phone number to Google Voice.  Not only is this awesome since I can change SIM's out as I wish and still use the same voice number I have also just found out that I can send and receive text messages through GV using the SMS integration of Hangouts.  Now even my texts show as my GV number.  Here is the Droid-Life article, "How to: Use Google Voice SMS with Hangouts", if  anyone is interested.

• Like 5

So I know the n5 pulls down better lte signal than the g2 but what about 3g? I'm not in a complete market and am considering getting a n5 but don't want it to suck for 3g. Any input is appreciated.

If I remember correctly the FCC stats that were posted showed that the Nexus 5 has the best 3G performance of any smartphone that I have ever seen.  I couldn't tell you first hand though, because it seems that my phone can only find LTE now lol.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the FCC stats that would posted showed that the Nexus 5 has the best 3G performance of any smartphone that I have ever seen. I couldn't tell you first hand though, because it seems that my phone can only find LTE now lol.

Thanks for the answer.

On getting a sim, I originally tried the worldwide chat method but was denied when they looked up my account and saw in was a SERO customers. Something about me having to talk to the business reps.

I think local corporate owned store will be best bet for most people. Try to figure out which of your local stores is the 'repair center' in the area. At least they will know what your talking about. My Chandler, AZ store told me that had a 'good' supply of Sims.

So I know the n5 pulls down better lte signal than the g2 but what about 3g? I'm not in a complete market and am considering getting a n5 but don't want it to suck for 3g. Any input is appreciated.

Well as for 3g its fine, not really better or worse than any other 3g phone(imo).  Comparing it to my One and my Evo Lte, my N5 is averaging the same 3g signal levels than the other two devices but of course it destroyed them both when it comes to 4g signal levels.

Well as for 3g its fine, not really better or worse than any other 3g phone(imo). Comparing it to my One and my Evo Lte, my N5 is averaging the same 3g signal levels than the other two devices but of course it destroyed them both when it comes to 4g signal levels.

I know the evo had issues with lte. Wasn't it's 3g side just as bad?

I know the evo had issues with lte. Wasn't it's 3g side just as bad?

The 3g side wasn't bad just LTE that I noticed. That's the main reason I wanted to get rid of the phone.

And those of you that had older model phones noticed an improvement in the 3g side of your nexus or no?

My 3g seems to be the same as my EVO LTE whenever I can't connect to LTE.