Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

For those of you that are rooted what are some good Roms for the n5

Most of them are still trying to figure out 4.4 so I haven't messed with them yet.

I usually stick with stock or cm as I don't like overly themed or half working roms.

• Like 3

I bet it does not provide even frequency response across the entire PCS G block. The slope of the lowpass filter may really be setting in by the upper end of the PCS G block, taking out some of the higher frequency Resource Blocks along with it.

AJ

It was just a preliminary test with the directional antenna only about 15 feet up on my antenna mast. I was able to pull LTE in the house with about 4 to 5 megabits. I was shocked to see it work. I kept unplugging it with the LTE engineering up to see if the signal would go away and sure enough it would drop back to 3g.

• Like 3

For those of you that are rooted what are some good Roms for the n5

I haven't tried any of the custom ROMs since most are still in their alpha or beta phase. I'm mainly rooted since I like to use titanium backup to restore my apps, and I like to have the ability to mess with the system partition, but other than that, I like stock. I also use Xposed framework, which got their first stable release for KitKat, so doing small mods is easy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This post is pure speculation - but I believe I've found the problem with the N5 having trouble connecting to B41 sites, compared to the G2.

The N5 no doubt is superior in the PCS LTE department.  That is fact, however, because of this...there's a drawback.  Our pre-spark devices do not allow the prioritization of bands properly and the device will always scan for PCS LTE, even if you've got a strong B41 signal present.  Because the G2 isn't as strong as the N5 in PCS LTE, it has more places to scan for B41 and thus is the better test device for B41 for now, until both devices are enabled via Spark.  

I'm just hoping LG improves the G2's radio on PCS LTE.  Can't wait to see which device battles bests one another in B26 and B41.  We'll find out soon enough.

Hey guys.  I think I'm going to sell my note 2 and get this bad boy.  Does anyone that migrated from the note to the N5 have any comments on anything you missed on the note?  I know the screen is slightly smaller, but think it won't be a huge issue for me.  

I switched from note 2, to nexus 5.

I have no regrets or concerns other than missing the huge battery life of the note 2. And dual windows.

I didn't use stylus much, but if that is important to you, it may also be a concern.

• Like 1

Hey guys.  I think I'm going to sell my note 2 and get this bad boy.  Does anyone that migrated from the note to the N5 have any comments on anything you missed on the note?  I know the screen is slightly smaller, but think it won't be a huge issue for me.  

The battery life! Keep in mind I have an extra Samsung OEM battery/charger, so I can always swap batteries and never have to plug my Note 2 into a charger. Screen size being smaller wasn't too bad, but the Nexus 5 was tough to keep due to the battery life. I'm going to attempt the same thing with the G2 and try and ween myself off the whole "never having to charge" dependency, being that the G2 battery lasts longer than the Nexus 5,

Edit - FWIW, I am a VERY VERY heavy user :)

• Like 1

really depends on how you use it.

the nexus 5 has pretty incredible idle battery life, but it is certainly possible to drain it in less than a day.

I will be keeping an eye out for a mophie style battery pack case to use when they become available.

I also invested in a couple wireless chargers, so I can keep it charged easily.

Wireless charging is slower than regular charging, but I am hooked its awesome just to pick it up and go without worrying about wires.

• Like 1

Did we ever decide if there were any advantages to Global or LTE mode?

I don't think so.. I previously mentioned that my testing showed that the only difference between the two is that it changes the mode on the Radio Info screen from LTE/CDMA to LTE/GSM/CDMA. Nobody has mentioned finding anything otherwise.

-Mike

I don't think so.. I previously mentioned that my testing showed that the only difference between the two is that it changes the mode on the Radio Info screen from LTE/CDMA to LTE/GSM/CDMA. Nobody has mentioned finding anything otherwise.

-Mike

So you can roam internationally, if you have it enabled.

This was a similar setting to those in the Verizon Droid phones.

The battery life! Keep in mind I have an extra Samsung OEM battery/charger, so I can always swap batteries and never have to plug my Note 2 into a charger. Screen size being smaller wasn't too bad, but the Nexus 5 was tough to keep due to the battery life. I'm going to attempt the same thing with the G2 and try and ween myself off the whole "never having to charge" dependency, being that the G2 battery lasts longer than the Nexus 5,

Edit - FWIW, I am a VERY VERY heavy user :)

Just buy one of those backup battery packs that can quick charge your phone in an hour.

Did we ever decide if there were any advantages to Global or LTE mode?

There is zero advantage of being in Global or LTE/CDMA mode when connected to the Sprint network.  Anyone who claims...OMG I get better LTE signal in Global mode vs. LTE/CDMA mode is just a placebo effect.  As we know that measuring a LTE or CDMA signal is pretty tough given how dynamic it fluctuates every second.  All switching between Global and LTE/CDMA mode does is just force a rescan of the frequencies which maybe a rescan of frequencies finally gives you the LTE signal especially if you are in a weak cell edge LTE area.  If you are in a strong LTE area, you can try swapping between Global and LTE/CDMA mode and you will find it makes zero difference.

All Global mode means is that you can use the GSM/HSPA bands when you are travelling internationally but that does not help with gaining a Sprint LTE signal at all.  

FWIW, I put my phone in LTE/CDMA mode on my G2 and I don't have problems connecting to LTE.

• Like 3

Band 41 in Landover MD on a nexus 5

LTE only mode

https://www.dropbox.com/s/al9rqzcd8vnizxl/Screenshot_2013-12-02-00-42-24.png

Did you have any difficulties getting it to connect to band-41?  I was parked under a band-41 site and couldn't get any cooperation lol. 

Did you have any difficulties getting it to connect to band-41? I was parked under a band-41 site and couldn't get any cooperation lol.

honestly I was just playing around with the settings in the phone info screen and hit lte only. I knew the site it was on didn't have Sprint cdma and I saw all my bars and knew it was band 41. Im guessing it suffers from the eCSFB issue since I drove by it earlier and saw nothing but when it was set to lte only I connected.
  • Like 1

Just activated the N5 and MY GOD.... The RF difference between this and the Evo is huge. I used to have to drive a mile to get LTE in my apt. Now my N5 is holding onto a faint signal.

Already satisfied lol.

How's the battery and the rear speaker compared to the EVO LTE? I'm home patiently waiting for my device to arrive.

How's the battery and the rear speaker compared to the EVO LTE? I'm home patiently waiting for my device to arrive.

Since I have been playing with it nonstop it's been hard to gauge the battery, but I did make it 15 hours yesterday before it died if that's any indication.  I think the battery isn't going to be an issue for me.

The speaker volume is fine by me as well.  Yeah both the rear speaker and headphone jack are quieter than the EVO, but the volume seems to be acceptable.  Haven't tested it in a loud area though.

The only real issue for me is that I need to have my phone on vibrate most of the time and this thing has the weakest vibration of any phone I've had.  Anyone else experience this or find a fix?  There don't seem to be anywhere to adjust this.

• Like 2

That's insane!

I wouldn't know what to do with so much speed. I'd probably start foaming at the mouth LOL!

-Luis

And to think I struggle to just get one hundredth of that on 1900 LTE! ;)

Just got through dealing with a serious bootloop over last 2 hours.  I took my n5 off the charger after it was fully charged and it immediately went in to a bootloap. 

This is a link of someone else with the same issue, keep in mind the video is not in english but at least you can see what is happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czpmuj8pgy1budn/VID_20131126_085704.mp4

I ended up getting it to boot back up by constantly pressing the power botton before it could bootloop again, that seemed to work.

Just got through dealing with a serious bootloop over last 2 hours.  I took my n5 off the charger after it was fully charged and it immediately went in to a bootloap. 

This is a link of someone else with the same issue, keep in mind the video is not in english but at least you can see what is happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czpmuj8pgy1budn/VID_20131126_085704.mp4

I ended up getting it to boot back up by constantly pressing the power botton before it could bootloop again, that seemed to work.

Weird. Hopefully it was just an isolated issue. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Did you do anything special to get it to connect to Band-41?  I have it enabled on mine but don't seem to be having much luck.