Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Having dealt with HTC my last couple of devices, I need to learn the process for updating firmware etc on the Nexus 5. For right now I would like to keep the stock ROM but basically for my scenario would be:

1. Sideload the 4.4.1 update

2. Unlock (fastboot oem unlock)

3. Flash only the radio (fastboot flash radio filename.img)

If anybody wants to outline their process of flashing the KRT16M radio, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you're already unlocked, this update will not re-lock your phone. For specifics about loading the update manually, there are several lengthy threads on XDA; this one has it spelled out nicely in the first post with links to further explanations if needed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2523217

-Mike

• Like 1

Having dealt with HTC my last couple of devices, I need to learn the process for updating firmware etc on the Nexus 5. For right now I would like to keep the stock ROM but basically for my scenario would be:

1. Sideload the 4.4.1 update

2. Unlock (fastboot oem unlock)

3. Flash only the radio (fastboot flash radio filename.img)

If anybody wants to outline their process of flashing the KRT16M radio, I would greatly appreciate it.

just fyi, fastboot oem unlock will wipe your entire phone, data and storage.

• Like 2

If you're already unlocked, this update will not re-lock your phone. For specifics about loading the update manually, there are several lengthy threads on XDA; this one has it spelled out nicely in the first post with links to further explanations if needed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2523217

-Mike

Thanks for link. I will have to unlock regardless to flash back the KRT16M radio though right?

Thanks for link. I will have to unlock regardless to flash back the KRT16M radio though right?

If you are not already unlocked, do that first -- then do the 4.4.1 update, then flash the 16M radio. There is no disadvantage to unlocking that I am aware of.

-Mike

• Like 1

Yes.  The OTA includes the radio.  Alternatively you can download the stock rooted KOT49E ROM and not deal with the radio at all, I'm not sure if you can dirty flash it or not though.

• Like 2

If you are not already unlocked, do that first -- then do the 4.4.1 update, then flash the 16M radio. There is no disadvantage to unlocking that I am aware of.

-Mike

Well, the fact that it wipes your device can be a disadvantage  :lol:

Well, the fact that it wipes your device can be a disadvantage  :lol:

Well that is why you do it as soon as you get the phone before you log in and get it all set up.

• Like 1

Well that is why you do it as soon as you get the phone before you log in and get it all set up.

Well yes but I'm assuming he didn't just get the phone today so it's something he probably want's to know.

Good grief, I am a very experienced computer user -- I can deal with Unix and command lines, etc.  But I am no programmer/hacker.  So, this is all such a pain in the ass.

Unlike so many of you, I am not infatuated with firmware updates.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  And, unfortunately, most of these firmware updates break something that was previously working just fine.  Because of that, I routinely reject firmware updates -- I just leave the notification hanging there for months on end.  That is easy to do on OEM customized devices, since they tend to receive firmware updates only once or twice.  But I may have second thoughts now on using a Nexus device.  

Here is my advice to Google, et al.  Get it right before you release it, and leave well enough alone!

AJ

• Like 2

Mess?  I found it super simple and only took minutes to update and a minute or two to roll back my modem.  Couldn't get any easier.

Agreed.. the camera and OS tweaks are very nice. It's not as scary as it might intially seem.. if you're on S4GRU, you are nerdy enough to be able to handle this. Do the update however you like, either with the OTA, fastboot, or flashing through recovery (TWRP). After that's all done, just flash this ZIP file through recovery to restore the old modem. Don't be lazy like AJ  :P

-Mike

• Like 1

Mess?  I found it super simple and only took minutes to update and a minute or two to roll back my modem.  Couldn't get any easier.

I concur.  I started from scratch today with unlocking the bootloading, rooting, flashing custom recovery, etc and found the whole process to be very simple and easy.

• Like 1

Just flash the rooted .zip from xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557523

Quick and easy and does not flash a new modem.

This is the best way to go. Yesterday this option wasn't available I know next time to wait a few more hours.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Agreed.. the camera and OS tweaks are very nice. It's not as scary as it might intially seem.. if you're on S4GRU, you are nerdy enough to be able to handle this. Do the update however you like, either with the OTA, fastboot, or flashing through recovery (TWRP). After that's all done, just flash this ZIP file through recovery to restore the old modem. Don't be lazy like AJ  :P

I already unlocked the bootloader and rooted a month ago.  That required enough convoluted instructions.  Once was enough for me.  I do not want to have to do that again and again with every update.  And I do not even know what this TWRP thing is, anyway.

All of this seems just a hassle.  I miss the days when handset hardware and firmware went hand in hand, etched in stone.  There were no firmware updates.  So, with any handset, you had to "fish or cut bait."

AJ

• Like 1

I already unlocked the bootloader and rooted a month ago.  That required enough convoluted instructions.  Once was enough for me.  I do not want to have to do that again and again with every update.  And I do not even know what this TWRP thing is, anyway.

All of this seems just a hassle.  I miss the days when handset hardware and firmware went hand in hand, etched in stone.  There were no firmware updates.  So, with any handset, you had to "fish or cut bait."

AJ

Well you didn't necessarily have to do all of that to begin with for a few extra tweaks.  If you were completely stock it is a simple process

on computer

- install latest android sdk (if you don't already have it)

on phone

- boot into recovery mode (vol up + power key)

- select update from adb

- plug phone into computer

on computer

- use terminal or command line with the adb sideload filename.zip command

five simple steps, a few minutes of your time.  

I'm not trying to say that rooting and putting in a custom recovery doesn't have it own benefits, but for the average user, a custom rom or custom prl isn't really necessary.  At least the Nexus 5 does not suffer from uninstallable bloatware which is a primary reason for rooting on other android devices.  I've done my fair share of custom recoveries, roms, roots, and various hacks to countless devices.  This phone has been one of the few so far I have not seen the need to do so.