Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Anyone noticing increased incidents of incoming calls never making it to the Nexus 5 on LTE, despite having a strong signal? Three days in a row, my wife has come home from work and accused me of bouncing her to voicemail when she tried calling on her way home.. but my phone never rang (I swear!). It was sitting on a table untouched where I always have a solid -85 dB band 25 connection. She said that one of the times it wasn't my normal voicemail (Google Voice) recording either, it was the Sprint recording spelling out my phone number. Weird.

I was going to call Sprint, then I realized I'd rather have an excuse as to why I didn't answer a phone call.. ;)

Just curious if others have run into this often with the N5, or if it's more likely a network thing. I had it happen a few times when I first got the phone in November, but AFAIK, it hadn't happened since.

-Mike

My wife has the issue on her N5 when receiving calls/texts. I just assumed it was an AT&T issue. I've not had the problem with my N5, that I'm aware. But no one really calls me anymore. And I'm fine with that. ;)

My wife does not use Google Voice. And AT&T doesn't offer GV integration.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

You can still use google voice for voicemail with AT&T.

I do. I use it with AT&T and Sprint, a single voicemail location for two lines.

Ehhh. That's just an app. What I miss is being able to use my Sprint account across all my Android devices. Nothing like being free to text from my tablet and listen to voice mails, while my phone is charging at the other end of the house. I miss GV integration ever so much.

• Like 1

For anyone who cares. Here at this site https://simonics.com/gvgw/ you can setup a sip account to use Google voice calling thru the native sip client in android. It works very well over WiFi. Never really tried it over LTE or cellular data. Its VoIP.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ehhh. That's just an app. What I miss is being able to use my Sprint account across all my Android devices. Nothing like being free to text from my tablet and listen to voice mails, while my phone is charging at the other end of the house. I miss GV integration ever so much.

Nothing better than using my N7 to manage my text messages, listen to my VM and watch for missed calls.

For anyone who cares. Here at this site https://simonics.com/gvgw/ you can setup a sip account to use Google voice calling thru the native sip client in android. It works very well over WiFi. Never really tried it over LTE or cellular data. Its VoIP.

I believe I read something about Google killing all third party support for GV sometime this spring, that might not be around too much longer.

Yea I know but it works better than groove IP. That was echo city for me. I've been using it for a while now but it will hold me over till voice on hangouts is released.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies, at least I know it's not just me. I'm don't have the full GV integration, just the voicemail, but I will see if messing with that helps it out at all.

-Mike

maybe try to deactivate it then wait 30 minutes then reactivate??

Am I the only one that has voice mails work just fine on the stock phone? When I get a voicemail it pops up in my notifications just fine. When I delete it it goes away within a few minutes. No issues here after the most recent update to 4.4.2

Am I the only one that has voice mails work just fine on the stock phone? When I get a voicemail it pops up in my notifications just fine. When I delete it it goes away within a few minutes. No issues here after the most recent update to 4.4.2 Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No, you aren't the only one. It works just like that on mine.

Yea I know but it works better than groove IP. That was echo city for me. I've been using it for a while now but it will hold me over till voice on hangouts is released.

Yep, the full integration is really nice.

I'm looking forward to later this year to see if anything changes with google hangouts and voice.

Do either one of you run into your hangout messages sometime being delayed being pushed to your phone?

Has anyone had issues with the phone automatically switching from 3G to LTE? I ride the brown line in Chicago quite a bit and there are some large LTE dead zones along that route. On my HTC One I would lose LTE as I was passing through the Ranch Triangle/Old Town region and it would quickly pick LTE a few blocks past that.  With my new N5 on the same Sprint network it will switch over to 3G and stay there until I flip the airplane mode. I've taken about 2 dozen trips across this region in the last week and it happens every time. 

Edited by Bird_Chicago

Has anyone had issues with the phone automatically switching from 3G to LTE? I ride the brown line in Chicago quite a bit and there are some large LTE dead zones along that route. On my HTC One I would lose LTE as I was passing through the Ranch Triangle/Old Town region and it would quickly pick LTE a few blocks past that.  With my new N5 on the same Sprint network it will switch over to 3G and stay there until I flip the airplane mode. I've taken about 2 dozen trips across this region in the last week and it happens every time.

probably the LTE scan intervals are different?

I get the same dead zone at Armitage.  It's good near Diversey because of the tower on top of the senior housing.

I toggle airplane mode frequently with my N5.

Has anyone had issues with the phone automatically switching from 3G to LTE? I ride the brown line in Chicago quite a bit and there are some large LTE dead zones along that route. On my HTC One I would lose LTE as I was passing through the Ranch Triangle/Old Town region and it would quickly pick LTE a few blocks past that. With my new N5 on the same Sprint network it will switch over to 3G and stay there until I flip the airplane mode. I've taken about 2 dozen trips across this region in the last week and it happens every time.

I've been seeing this issue on my g2. It loses LTE and never comes back without a toggle. My iPhone will lose LTE but get it back in a few minutes on it's own. This is near Chicago, too.

The N5 seems to have a fairly lengthy scan time. I know that when I lose LTE around here, it takes a while to pick it back up, but it does eventually do it. If you are only going to a small dead patch, if you want LTE back right away you will have to toggle airplane. 

The N5 seems to have a fairly lengthy scan time. I know that when I lose LTE around here, it takes a while to pick it back up, but it does eventually do it. If you are only going to a small dead patch, if you want LTE back right away you will have to toggle airplane.

Kind of like getting back on EVDO after falling to 1x while roaming on the OG EVO. It used to drive me batty.

• Like 2

I've been seeing this issue on my g2. It loses LTE and never comes back without a toggle. My iPhone will lose LTE but get it back in a few minutes on it's own. This is near Chicago, too.

My G2 does this as well in the Chambers Hill area of Hartisburg PA. Even when back in a strong 4G LTE area, no matter how long I wait, the only way to regain LTE is to cycle the radio.

My G2 does this as well in the Chambers Hill area of Hartisburg PA. Even when back in a strong 4G LTE area, no matter how long I wait, the only way to regain LTE is to cycle the radio.

That is not the same case with the LG G2 spark update.  To me, the Spark update seems to have improved the LTE scan time to search for LTE.  The current firmware on the N5 is only programmed to scan for B25 LTE.  With the Spark update it is now programmed to search for multiple LTE bands instead of just B25. However it could be the fact that being in a Spark market that some of the spots that I didn't use to have LTE are quickly picked up by B41 LTE and I see the LTE icon more often now.

• Like 1

That is not the same case with the LG G2 spark update. To me, the Spark update seems to have improved the LTE scan time to search for LTE. However it could be the fact that being in a Spark market that some of the spots that I didn't use to have LTE are quickly picked up by B41 LTE and I see the LTE icon more often now.

Same here Eric. The Spark update has definitely improve my lte experience being able to access Band 41

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is not the same case with the LG G2 spark update.  To me, the Spark update seems to have improved the LTE scan time to search for LTE.  The current firmware on the N5 is only programmed to scan for B25 LTE.  With the Spark update it is now programmed to search for multiple LTE bands instead of just B25. However it could be the fact that being in a Spark market that some of the spots that I didn't use to have LTE are quickly picked up by B41 LTE and I see the LTE icon more often now.

That's good to hear. I'm still waiting for the Spark update. From what I read on this Forum, 800 LTE is soon to be in Harrisburg, with band 41 forthcoming. I'll get to see how well the G2 will perform then...

So I just did a random profile update since I didn't have lte for the past week even when forced (band 25)...

Updated profile and...

Sent from my Nexus 5

Awesome!!! Reboot your N5 and see if it still stays connected.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk