Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I just ordered a red one. 16GB. Should be here Monday/Tuesday. Excited!

I've never rooted/ mod a phone. From what I've read, it only makes sense to root this one. I'm going to have to do more research this weekend. The last thing I want to do is break (brick) a brand new phone.

The nexus line is the easiest to get into rooting with. None of the crap I had to deal with when I rooted my OG EVO! Plus nexii are nearly impossible to brick. :) And I'm sure you've heard this already, but unlock the bootloader the moment you are able to. If you set up the phone and then unlock the bootloader, you'll have to factory reset. Best to do it ASAP. :)

Wouldn't it depend on if he was a John Maynard Keynes or a Milton Freidman supporter?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

<nerd voice> Well actually, you really should say Say, Jean-Baptiste I mean, and not Milton Friedman </nerd voice>

And now the obligatory semi-related video link.

• Like 1

Sheesh, is the University of Chicago school of economics going to overrun this thread again?

:P

AJ

• Like 2

For the nexus being an "easy" phone to root it sure was a pain for me. I had to use cf auto root and install a recovery myself.

No other method would recognize my phone or the commands I was using.

Finally running Franco with the bionic optimization since I run art only.

The nexus line is the easiest to get into rooting with. None of the crap I had to deal with when I rooted my OG EVO! Plus nexii are nearly impossible to brick. :) And I'm sure you've heard this already, but unlock the bootloader the moment you are able to. If you set up the phone and then unlock the bootloader, you'll have to factory reset. Best to do it ASAP. :)

Thanks guys.  Are you saying I should unlock the bootloader right when I turn on the phone for the very first time?

Like I said, I'm going to do more research, but does it void the warrenty?  There is a possiblity I might only use the phone for a few months and I might want to resell it.

Would you suggest I head to XDA to find the step by step instructions?

Thanks again.

For the nexus being an "easy" phone to root it sure was a pain for me. I had to use cf auto root and install a recovery myself.

No other method would recognize my phone or the commands I was using.

Finally running Franco with the bionic optimization since I run art only.

You just have to download TWRP to your PC and rename it to recovery.img, make sure you have the SDK installed, and then use the command "fastboot oem unlock" on your PC from the command line while in the SDK folder with your phone connected via usb in fastboot mode. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can use "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and you're done. After TWRP is flashed, reboot into recovery and then reboot your phone (or flash a ROM and then reboot your phone if you prefer). If you do nothing else, it'll even give you the option to install root for you once you hit reboot.

You just have to download TWRP to your PC and rename it to recovery.img, make sure you have the SDK installed, and then use the command "fastboot oem unlock" on your PC from the command line while in the SDK folder with your phone connected via usb in fastboot mode. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can use "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and you're done. After TWRP is flashed, reboot into recovery and then reboot your phone (or flash a ROM and then reboot your phone if you prefer). If you do nothing else, it'll even give you the option to install root for you once you hit reboot.

I got it done last night as stated in my other post. Thanks though.

My computer for whatever reason would not recognize adb commands in command prompt so I went about it a different way.

Have you guys found an app that does adaptive screen orientation?  I don't want the screen to reorient itself on most of my applications but I would like it to go into landscape mode for pictures and videos.  I know HTC phones do this already, but the screen orientation features of the N5 seem a little more limited.

Search for an app named "Smart Rotator". I think that might be what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Are you saying I should unlock the bootloader right when I turn on the phone for the very first time?

Like I said, I'm going to do more research, but does it void the warrenty?  There is a possiblity I might only use the phone for a few months and I might want to resell it.

Thanks again.

yes, don't log in with your google account, let it finish all updates, then unlock it (it will erase everything), then you can login with your google account.

step by step instructions are on xda and various other sites via google search

Thanks again.

This is the only guide you'll need for the Nexus 5:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2510966

It has links to the other important guides/threads, whether you want to root and unlock manually, or use CF-Auto-Root, or do anything else. As a beginner, I suggest you read everything before you start doing anything, so you know what you want to do and what to expect.

Thanks guys. Are you saying I should unlock the bootloader right when I turn on the phone for the very first time?

Like I said, I'm going to do more research, but does it void the warrenty? There is a possiblity I might only use the phone for a few months and I might want to resell it.

Thanks again.

As dedub said, unlock ASAP so you don't have to factory reset after you set it up. There are instructions on xda. And your warranty is "deactivated" while the boot loader is unlocked, but you can "re-activate" it by relocking. Which is just as easy as unlocking.

Google updates it's suite of apps.

Spark update must be coming....

;)

App updates have no correlation to android updates. They are completely separate teams.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I live in hermitage pa. My mothers gs3 and father's iphone5 both get excellent LTE yet my nexus 5 stays in 3g. I know this a known problem but my area seems very confused. They say they have LTE on 800 and 1900 here, yet I get neithe. My local sprint store told me there was going to be a update for the phone q1 2014, but sprint service reps tell me I'll have to wait a month for them to finish lte in the area. Anyone have any ideas? I did get a text msg from sprint saying my area would be done at the end of the month, but did they mean that for the LTE that is currently here or did they mean the updated for triband phones?

I live in hermitage pa. My mothers gs3 and father's iphone5 both get excellent LTE yet my nexus 5 stays in 3g. I know this a known problem but my area seems very confused. They say they have LTE on 800 and 1900 here, yet I get neithe. My local sprint store told me there was going to be a update for the phone q1 2014, but sprint service reps tell me I'll have to wait a month for them to finish lte in the area. Anyone have any ideas? I did get a text msg from sprint saying my area would be done at the end of the month, but did they mean that for the LTE that is currently here or did they mean the updated for triband phones?

How long has the area had lte? It is most likely an eCSFB issue. There is a thread in the network section about it.

EDIT: Here's the explanation. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It could be an eCSFB problem. I'm not entirely sure what markets this is still present in, as I haven't come upon any issues in Chicago and Orlando.

Also check that you have LTE enabled as well. A profile & PRL update couldn't hurt either. And everyone got that text message apparently (even though I never saw it). And for further reference, most Sprint reps at stores or in customer service are useless when it comes to specific network deployment information. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here on S4GRU, and if you want area and site specific information I would reccomend becoming a sponsor. Welcome!

Yes this place is awesome. I've done all updates. We got LTE on January 20th and 22 and that's why I'm wondering if this is a network or software problem.

If it's that recent, its possible the CSFB software has not yet been updated. We've seen sites go several weeks after LTE before finally having CSFB enabled. It is just a software update, so it should happen soon.

Although it should be in place already considering you are in a Samsung market. 

I live on the pa/oh border but see that's why I'm worried, I thought it woulda been here when LTE was deployed. If this is the case I'd return my nexus 5 for a older phone that's not triband and that's sad, I don't want to do that because the speeds on my mother gs3 are crazy fast. I have forced my phone into LTE but it just stay on for a minute then goes back to 3g.