Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

And it decides to tease me... after like 10 reboots... it's gone.. poof... :(

Some of the 1x800 is like that here...it is there and then it is not, there, then not :P

Some of the 1x800 is like that here...it is there and then it is not, there, then not :P

CDMA1X 800 is not yours to keep.  It is just loaned to you when you need it.

AJ

• Like 2

Kind of like getting back on EVDO after falling to 1x while roaming on the OG EVO. It used to drive me batty.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Gahh. Don't remind me. :)

And in order to stay on topic, I've done several PRL and Profile updates and 26/41 remained enabled after updating. Is this the norm now?

And it decides to tease me... after like 10 reboots... it's gone.. poof... :(

TIM!!!! I think you found the magic sauce bro!!!!! I decided to bring up the sponsor map for B41 sites while a buddy of mine drove north on Broadway from midtown Manhattan, found a site about 10 blocks from where we were, drove as close as I could near the beacon theater (couldn't visually inspect the site since it most likely was sitting on one of the high rises on Broadway)

Then went in and set B41 at the highest priority (lowered the others)

Did a PRL update

Then a Profile update

then... :sunny:

2014-02-01%2004.39.32.png

2014-02-01%2004.44.28.png

2014-02-01%2004.31.47.png

• Like 6

TIM!!!! I think you found the magic sauce bro!!!!! I decided to bring up the sponsor map for B41 sites while a buddy of mine drove north on Broadway from midtown Manhattan, found a site about 10 blocks from where we were, drove as close as I could near the beacon theater (couldn't visually inspect the site since it most likely was sitting on one of the high rises on Broadway)

Did a PRL update

Then a Profile update

That makes sense.. a PRL update triggers a scan for available channels. Makes sense that putting B41 at the top of the list and forcing a re-scan would get you connected. But of course, doing a PRL update every time you want fast data isn't the most efficient way to get things done. Your download would probably be finished on band 25 well before that process completed. ;)

-Mike

• Like 2

I have also found some elusive B41 in Chicago after repeated profile/prl upgrades!

rygysuma.jpg

avupu6yz.jpg

vyguqyqu.jpg

I'm afraid to reboot!

As a side note, I didn't notice when it switched. I'm indoors in a building with quite good B25 penetration, and I was on WiFi. MikeJeep, I went back to B25, but I'll try and send you a diagnostic when I get back on to B41. 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

But of course, doing a PRL update every time you want fast data isn't the most efficient way to get things done. Your download would probably be finished on band 25 well before that process completed. ;)

-Mike

I think in most cases you are probably right about that, but in midtown manhattan during rush hour when B25 is getting hammered, doing this process to download a quick video podcast before hopping on the train would be a breeze in a pinch. At the very least this gets me excited about the update!

• Like 5

That makes sense.. a PRL update triggers a scan for available channels. Makes sense that putting B41 at the top of the list and forcing a re-scan would get you connected. But of course, doing a PRL update every time you want fast data isn't the most efficient way to get things done. Your download would probably be finished on band 25 well before that process completed. ;) -Mike

I ran a few speed tests with b41 after prl/profile update; each speed test was 40mb. Unlimited wont be around for too long. :-(

Mikejeep, I sent a diagnostic around 3.

Y'all should try and do some speed test on sensorly. Test to make sure it reports correctly, and it will show others in your area

• Like 2

Mikejeep, I sent a diagnostic around 3.

Got it, thanks! Unlike the G2 and S4T, all of the Nexus 5 reports I have gathered show that it is properly reporting its connection data.

If you see your LTE provider listed as "Sprint*" in the app, you're either on B41, or you're a Virgin Mobile customer.. I'm working on distinguishing the two.

-Mike

Did a PRL update

Then a Profile update

I bet if you check your band priorities, they will be reset to whatever the profile update reset them to.

Did a PRL update

Then a Profile update

To isolate variables, I would suggest doing just one or the other but not both.  My guess is the profile update is the catalyst.  The PRL update may have no effect whatsoever, since the PRL is for CDMA2000.  These single RF path tri band devices do not connect to CDMA2000 unless necessary.

AJ

To isolate variables, I would suggest doing just one or the other but not both.  My guess is the profile update is the catalyst.  The PRL update may have no effect whatsoever, since the PRL is for CDMA2000.  These single RF path tri band devices do not connect to CDMA2000 unless necessary.

AJ

Just lost connection after some fkery. PRL update got it back. Yesterday it was the profile update...

Side note -- how does one calculate the frequencies given TDD-LTE EARFCN values? Your wall posts were for FDD-LTE B25.

AJ

I have the same suspicion, I'm gonna take a quick walk to a Clear site a few blocks away from my apt and do more testing.

Side note -- how does one calculate the frequencies given TDD-LTE EARFCN values? Your wall posts were for FDD-LTE B25.

Good point.  I suppose I need to write another article for band 41 in the engineering screen series.

AJ

• Like 5

Did the PRL trick and caught B41 here in Orlando. Had an outstanding connection for the last 3 hours until I got back to my apartment where it dropped off (completely concrete structure). I'm very impressed with the speeds I'm getting and signal strength. Even stayed connected with a -105ish rsrp connection deep inside the UCF library. (there are 3 clear sites on campus, I would expect at least that) 

Much improved from my B25 experience around here, which is, sorry to say, pretty abysmal. 

vEztnOH.png?1  MkQHXgD.png?1 iy4w8SJ.png?1

• Like 4

For the past week and a half or so my Nexus 5 has been searching for service yet in the engineering screen shows what appears to be a usable signal strength of band 25 LTE signal (105dbm~115dbm). It has yet to connect or let me use it though. This is periodic and seems to occur more during the 6pm-6am time frame. Am I correct assuming this is due to a tower needing an upgrade in my area (there are spots mapped along i44 close to my house in sensorely that show LTE strength, even spots of dark purple, where I cannot receive LTE. I have one time but I had to force LTE only and it disappeared after a minute or two ). I do recieve LTE as soon as I'm out of this stretch however which is why I came to this conclusion. 

Sorry for the long post...I've been a lurker for awhile now and you guys seemed the appropriate people to ask. I'm not asking for any sponsor info or anything I just wanted personal opinions ^_^.