Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Sprint should not make it difficult to become their customer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My point exactly...  they should have open arms especially for a phone that is 100% designed for their network...down to many processes in the background that they require.

You shouldn't have a problem.  I didn't with mine.  I take it you already have your SIM card?

Robert

yes I got the SIM card from from Sprint International.

Is it safe to say, N5 phones can be activated if purchased from the following (Phones are all compatable, but it's the carriers policy that prevents activation).

Google Play:  Any carrier

Sprint: Any carrier

T-Mobile: Not Sprint

White Van: Might get lucky for carrier

• Like 1

If what you all are saying is true, then I'm very disheartened. I would love to go back to sprint in maybe a year or two (if they let me that is) once the Spark update is out.

Also, Battery Guru just finished learning last night. And it might be placebo, but I do see an increase in battery life. Normally my battery life at around 8:30 in the morning is 95%, but today is was at 98%. So one hour of use and it drained only 2%. I did talk on the phone this morning for half an hour, but it's now 10 am an I'm sitting at 89%.

I'll post again maybe tomorrow, or better after the weekend to let you guys now if it really works or not.

-Luis

How?  You need to substantiate this with solid evidence before you make such an assertion.

AJ

Well, I had another mechanism in mind... but there's also this:

http://www.gsma.com/technicalprojects/fraud-security/imei-database

And Sprint is a GSMA member... they already share bad IMEIs on the blacklist.

Also, Battery Guru just finished learning last night. And it might be placebo, but I do see an increase in battery life. Normally my battery life at around 8:30 in the morning is 95%, but today is was at 98%. So one hour of use and it drained only 2%. I did talk on the phone this morning for half an hour, but it's now 10 am an I'm sitting at 89%.

I'll post again maybe tomorrow, or better after the weekend to let you guys now if it really works or not.

-Luis

It seems I'm gaining an hour or two from BatteryGuru.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

My point exactly...  they should have open arms especially for a phone that is 100% designed for their network...down to many processes in the background that they require.

Something tells me T-Mobile would have no problem activating a N5 sold by Sprint :) 

If Sprint was going to stick with the CDMA2000 ways of activation, why carry the N5? Just go off like VZW and say "not in my house" like Mutumbo in the cereal aisle.

Problem is, I don't think Sprint can afford to do that anymore. Maybe VZW can, but I don't think Sprint can.

• Like 2

Something tells me T-Mobile would have no problem activating a N5 sold by Sprint :)

That is correct.  And as I posted previously, that is because T-Mobile is a purely 3GPP operator.  Almost any modern device with a removable SIM will work in some capacity on T-Mobile.  The same is not true for Sprint.  But if you want that Euro loving namby pamby openness, then by all means, go to magenta.

AJ

I don't want to go magenta.. :)  As a stock holder, I want Sprint to make it easier to be a customer with phones they don't sell. All of this b.s. about not being able to track down SIMs for the N5, or not activating phones that are 100% compatible with their network, but they just don't like who sold it, needs to change.  If it's a nexus 5, they should be able to barcode scan the IMEI and enter it in their allowed database. The whole business of pre-loading serial numbers seems stupid. 

off my soap box :)

• Like 1

If Sprint was going to stick with the CDMA2000 ways of activation, why carry the N5? Just go off like VZW and say "not in my house" like Mutumbo in the cereal aisle.

Problem is, I don't think Sprint can afford to do that anymore. Maybe VZW can, but I don't think Sprint can.

And this is one reason why I suspect that Sprint may not be a part of the next Nexus handset.  It is too much trouble.

Sprint actually got the Nexus 5.  Let me repeat that.  Sprint actually got the Nexus 5.  Right there, that is a win, that should be enough.  But some of you just cannot stop looking a gift horse in the mouth.

If you want a no questions asked SIM swap system, go love you some lilypads of high frequency magenta.  Just go away, please.

AJ

To add to my previous post, as the saying goes, this is why we cannot have nice things...

AJ

• Like 1

If you want a no questions asked SIM swap system, go love you some lilypads of high frequency magenta. Just go away, please.

That's where you and I are going to have agree to disagree.

I don't think Sprint can afford to chase anyone away at this point. I don't know what Sprint can do to cater to the GSM people completely, given their roots as a CDMA2000 operator. That said, I'm open to any ideas to make Sprint more open within technical reason.

• Like 1

I don't think Sprint can afford to chase anyone away at this point. I don't know what Sprint can do to cater to the GSM people completely, given their roots as a CDMA2000 operator. That said, I'm open to any ideas to make Sprint more open within technical reason.

And I agree to a point.  But Sprint has enough technical training issues as it is.  Trying to support an outside the box IMEI/MEID addition system would just add to the headache.

In the end, you may be right.  Sprint probably cannot afford it.  Euro centric 3GPP only crap is taking over the wireless industry in this sovereign nation.  That is ridiculous, and I hate it.  But it is happening.  So, if Sprint's restrictive policies cause it to founder, let us find out.  Bring it on.  I am tired of the debate.

AJ

One thing that is left unsaid that many of you might not know.  Sprint and/or Google went WAY out of their way to make the Nexus5 work on their network.  Not only with the Debug engineering screens but there's quite a bit of other pieces in the code base of the Nexus5 that looks for a Sprint SIM card.  Nothing crazy and/or bloat, just some differences needed.  You'd think with all that went into it, that any Nexus5 would be welcomed.

Yeah, the problem is "just go away" is exactly what over a million Sprint customers did last year and a boatload of them went to magenta.  As much as tmobile isn't liked around here, they are doing something right  Everyone here knows that Sprint has the better network (or will).  Once you have a customer and lose them because of a negative experience, it's 2X as hard to get that customer back when NV is complete. 

Verizon can afford to be a bit more arrogant with "not our phone" because they have a huge customer base and a network that rocks.  I like what Sprint did with Framily , and getting the N5 on their network. I hope they start to see customer bleeding stop in 2014 and post some gains.

One thing that is left unsaid that many of you might not know.  Sprint and/or Google went WAY out of their way to make the Nexus5 work on their network.  Not only with the Debug engineering screens but there's quite a bit of other pieces in the code base of the Nexus5 that looks for a Sprint SIM card.  Nothing crazy and/or bloat, just some differences needed.  You'd think with all that went into it, that any Nexus5 would be welcomed.

Nope, again, that is looking a gift horse in the mouth.  I like the attitude of take it or leave it.  That has become my stance with all of the annoying complainers.  Let the chips fall where they may...

AJ

Yeah, the problem is "just go away" is exactly what over a million Sprint customers did last year and a boatload of them went to magenta.  As much as tmobile isn't liked around here, they are doing something right  Everyone here knows that Sprint has the better network (or will).  Once you have a customer and lose them because of a negative experience, it's 2X as hard to get that customer back when NV is complete.

If magenta can get sub 1 GHz spectrum nationwide and if it can "modernize" its entire network, then Sprint is basically toast.  SoftBank backed the wrong horse.  But those are big ifs...

AJ

This is one of the few areas where AJ and I do not agree.  I completely accept his basic tenet that we aren't exactly sure of why the Tmo purchased N5's are not in the system.  It may even be that Tmo requested that the MEID's not be released to other carriers.  We should not immediately assume this is a failing by Sprint to this point.  And we don't even know if Sprint is aware of this issue or only recently became aware of this issue.

However, where I probably divert with AJ is that I believe Sprint should allow Nexus 5 MEID's to be manually added to the database.  If a customer can come to a store with the device and it can be verified as not stolen, Sprint should add the MEID and make the device usable on the Sprint network.  It's possible that Sprint is planning to do this, but trying to determine the best way to do that.  Because it is probably not a good idea just to allow it to be done on the basic call center level.

If Sprint is going to go through all this trouble to allow an open device on their network and then to draw an artificial line in the sand that prevents new customers from coming into your sandbox is not very wise.  It goes against the very nature of the intent of Framily.  To get new customers from other providers and the ability to BYOD off contract.  Especially when you consider the opposite is not true with other providers.  

Sprint is setting up a bad scenario where a Sprint customer leaves and goes to Tmo.  Purchases a Tmo N5.  Hates Tmo spotty coverage and non existent rural coverage and decides to go back to Sprint with the N5.  Sprint tells him to pound sand.  He then goes to AT&T.  This is an awful scenario for Sprint.  And Sprint can do something about it.  It may take some time to implement it, but it is in their best interest to do it.

And beyond even Sprint's best interest, the only entity that not allowing Tmo N5's on the Sprint network hurts is Sprint.  It helps Tmo.  And it even helps AT&T.  By allowing Tmo N5's to grace the Sprint network, it sends a big middle finger toward Bellevue and Master Legere.  And it removes an advantage for Tmo that they do not deserve.

Robert

• Like 20

This is one of the few areas where AJ and I do not agree.  I completely accept his basic tenet that we aren't exactly sure of why the Tmo purchased N5's are not in the system.  It may even be that Tmo requested that the MEID's not be released to other carriers.  We should not immediately assume this is a failing by Sprint to this point.  And we don't even know if Sprint is aware of this issue or only recently became aware of this issue.

However, where I probably divert with AJ is that I believe Sprint should allow Nexus 5 MEID's to be manually added to the database.  If a customer can come to a store with the device and it can be verified as not stolen, Sprint should add the MEID and make the device usable on the Sprint network.  It's possible that Sprint is planning to do this, but trying to determine the best way to do that.  Because it is probably not a good idea just to allow it to be done on the basic call center level.

If Sprint is going to go through all this trouble to allow an open device on their network and then to draw an artificial line in the sand that prevents new customers from coming into your sandbox is not very wise.  It goes against the very nature of the intent of Framily.  To get new customers from other providers and the ability to BYOD off contract.  Especially when you consider the opposite is not true with other providers.  

Sprint is setting up a bad scenario where a Sprint customer leaves and goes to Tmo.  Purchases a Tmo N5.  Hates Tmo spotty coverage and non existent rural coverage and decides to go back to Sprint with the N5.  Sprint tells him to pound sand.  He then goes to AT&T.  This is an awful scenario for Sprint.  And Sprint can do something about it.  It may take some time to implement it, but it is in their best interest to do it.

And beyond even Sprint's best interest, the only entity that not allowing Tmo N5's on the Sprint network hurts is Sprint.  It helps Tmo.  And it even helps AT&T.  By allowing Tmo N5's to grace the Sprint network, it sends a big middle finger toward Bellevue and Master Legere.  And it removes an advantage for Tmo that they do not deserve.

Robert

Can I get a loud mother effing AMEN to this?!

Could not have said it any better tbh. I do think this is going to become a problem, and I am gonna take myself as an example. I got kicked off of Sprint for excessive roaming. I would love to go back once NV is complete (and if they allow me) but knowing that I can NOT take my TMO N5 and use it on Sprint is really limiting my choice to LITERALLY come back. There is absolutely no logic in not allowing a clean ESN phone on it's network when the phone is designed to work on it's network.

Sadly I don't see myself coming back (not that it seems technically possible ATM) until this can be resolved. I would have to buy another N5 and go through all that hassle. Any other person will not go through any of that. When they hear "No, your phone is not allowed on our network" people will turn around and activate it on TMO or ATT.

My 2 cents.

-Luis

Nope, again, that is looking a gift horse in the mouth.  I like the attitude of take it or leave it.  That has become my stance with all of the annoying complainers.  Let the chips fall where they may...

AJ

C'mon AJ...  you are starting to sound like Sprint Network support that is causing some people to have blood transfusions to magenta.  0.02 megabit speed test.  Take it or leave it... 

• Like 2

Robert

I agree with absolutely everything you say here--except I can say with relative certainty that regardless of what the original cause is, Sprint is the one who can solve it.  Every Nexus 5 ever produced has an IMEI (and therefore MEID) in the range allocated by GSMA.  This includes the T-Mobile devices--this is a 3GPP requirement.  These device ranges are available in the database to all GSMA subscribers.  Sprint can solve the problem by adding the MEIDs of all of the registered ranges for the Nexus 5 and then there is no need to implement one-off MEID adding, or training CSRs, etc, etc.  Alternatively, they could just do one-off checks of the MEID against the database to see if it is a Nexus 5--although that would be a software change.

AT&T uses this database all the time to try to identify customers who try to use smart phone devices on basic phone plans.  Creative folks often try to buy unusual chinese GSM devices to get around this, but it never works for very long (unless they completely spoof a valid IMEI).

Seems like tmo would be the one to block these phones more than sprint. Like Robert said, maybe, maybe tmo is the problem here.

If a merger is near, then this could be mute point.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Nope, again, that is looking a gift horse in the mouth. I like the attitude of take it or leave it. That has become my stance with all of the annoying complainers. Let the chips fall where they may...

Speaking of horses, I don't want to beat a dead one, but I don't think this discussion is being made by annoying complainers. Most of us who want a Nexus 5 already have it. I have come across some of the Sprint-specific code changes that digiblur referenced and agree with him. One of the common topics on S4GRU has been Sprint's well-known battle to retain customers, and from our viewpoint (limited as it may be, since we're just speculating based on the facts we do know), the "No Tmo-sold N5's allowed" policy is a head-scratcher.

I completely agree that we don't know the exact reason Sprint is doing this, but at the same time the evidence seems to indicate that the reasons are administrative, not technical. Legere seems to relish every opportunity he can to take a shot at AT&T. So if Tmo N5's can be activated on AT&T, I feel that it's reasonable to make the assumption that Tmo is not the one preventing activations on Sprint.

Owning a Nexus 5 (or any other device) is not a right, and Sprint has the right to say what is and is not allowed on their network. But for the sake of discussion of the health of the company, I agree with the others saying that Sprint shouldn't be doing anything to hinder someone who wants to become a subscriber.

-Mike

• Like 5

Seems like tmo would be the one to block these phones more than sprint. Like Robert said, maybe, maybe tmo is the problem here.

If a merger is near, then this could be mute point.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

There is no "block".  Sprint just doesn't have the IMEI/MEIDs in their system.  The data is out there, Sprint just hasn't imported it into their system for whatever reason.  If you go to: http://imei-number.com/imei-number-lookup/  they have access to GSMA data, and it will tell you straight up that your device is a Nexus 5 if you plug in your IMEI--and it will do this for EVERY Nexus 5.  There is no technical reason why Sprint cannot do the same lookup, either by batch import or individual query.