Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Forgive me if this has been covered but I have an interesting find in KC. Now that we are seeing all 3 bands pretty well I have noticed that when my phone goes to band 26 the 1x band camps on Secondary 800 no matter what but when LTE is on 25 or 41 the 1x band is on PCS. It would appear that there is a tie between the two. Even when 1900 voice has great signal as long as LTE is on band 26 it will only use band 10 for voice.

Edited by sporter82

Surprisingly enough, 800 sites are all over the country in big cities and the boondocks alike.

Until I cough up the dough I'm gonna have to take a drive! Fortunately what I consider the start of the boonies (the cell companies do too) is only 10 miles from here. I'll probably be in the city sooner though, and can't wait to see if I pick up anything! I'll be jumping for joy if I pick up LTE inside the building where my mothers shop is located. The place was a black hole even for 1x up until maybe midway through last year. 

Forgive me if this has been covered but I have an interesting find in KC. Now that we are seeing all 3 bands pretty well I have noticed that when my phone goes to band 26 the 1x band camps on Secondary 800 no matter what but when LTE is on 25 or 41 the 1x band is on PCS. It would appear that there is a tie between the two. Even when 1900 voice has great signal as long as LTE is on band 26 it will only use band 10 for voice.

Which makes sense though, since the coverage would have a similar range.

What phone do you have? The G2?

Just picked up LTE 800 26 miles north of Lafayette, IN heading southbound on I65!

I was just about ready to lose hope because I had nothing but 3G or 1x until just a few minutes ago. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396641772.034196.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 3

will Lte 800 work better in apt complex I barely get 4g lte inside my apt and it keeps switching back and fourth with 800 voice

Band 26 is a lower frequency. Therefore, it propagates better. It travels further, and is generally unburdened. Think of it as a whole separate network that has (at the moment) really nobody on it. So yes, you should see an improvement in your apartment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

so I took the plunge and upgraded to a premier sponsor so I could ogle the band 26 sites and noticed that my area is filled with the dreaded brown tdb dots. I have chatting online with sprint, tweeted sprint, talked to store employees and the reps when they were there and they all said LTE 800 within 3 months. How accurate have the time tables been on the Band 26 map?  

Is there any reason why my phone would just keep using 1X 800 all the time? I was driving back and once my phone picked it up it didn't let go. Got into my hometown and it still sticks to 1X 800, I never had signal problems before in any of the areas

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Is there any reason why my phone would just keep using 1X 800 all the time? I was driving back and once my phone picked it up it didn't let go. Got into my hometown and it still sticks to 1X 800, I never had signal problems before in any of the areas

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yep, that is what it does.  Someplace you hit a spot where 1900 dropped and when that happens, you quite often pick up 800.  It is supposed to work that way.  When you do get on 800, it normally tends to stay there and this is fine. You may or may not drop off of the 800 and go back to 1900.  Sprint can probably push you off the 800 anytime they want.  If 800 is not swamped with users, you may just stay there for awhile.

• Like 1

Because your device won't re-scan for other CDMA 1X bands until it loses the one it is connected to. There is no concern with remaining on 800 (SMR) vs. 1900 (PCS), or never connecting to one or the other.

800 MHz provides better signal propagation, but that doesn't mean that you need to camp on it 24/7 when your phone has determined that PCS is strong enough at your location. If it wasn't for engineering screens or apps like SignalCheck, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

-Mike

• Like 3

Well today I got to experience what 1x800 is like when your in a rural area and cell sites are lacking, I already have experienced how wonderful it is for inside dense buildings.

I traveled from Bloomington, IN east to Nashville, IN in Brown County. Between there and Bloomington there are no sites. What was awesome is that I was connected to 1x800 almost the whole way there instead of roaming on VZW like I would've if it were still PCS only. The terrain is very hilly so signal gets blocked easily, I did eventually switch to no service a few miles before town and finally had to enable roaming, but considering that from Bloomington to Nashville is 16 miles through hilly terrain with no Sprint sites in between, that was great! Now if they'd just get LTE800 enabled quicker that would be better! I'm starting to tire of all these LTE dead spots I discover all over the place in towns.

After that I traveled to Lake Lemon, a place tucked even deeper away in the hills and I was still picking up 1x800 but it faded a lot, finally had to let my phone roam instead.

One thing I observed and would like confirmation, is the latest iPhone PRL now allowing 1x800 over roaming? I know a year ago SMR was way last.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if there's enough 800mhz spectrum in bta 52 for a 5×5mhz of lte to be deployed there I've looked at the spectrum maps but I am kind of confused.

Does anyone know if there's enough 800mhz spectrum in bta 52 for a 5×5mhz of lte to be deployed there I've looked at the spectrum maps but I am kind of confused.

I think there is, though I'm not 100% sure. As long as it isn't in SouthernLinc territory I think you're fine.

I think there is, though I'm not 100% sure. As long as it isn't in SouthernLinc territory I think you're fine.

Robert posted a good 800 spectrum map in the premier section.  Looks like the actual amount varies a lot, with the worst areas being SouthernLinc and IBEZ of course.

Robert posted a good 800 spectrum map in the premier section. Looks like the actual amount varies a lot, with the worst areas being SouthernLinc and IBEZ of course.

Remember IBEZ is not a spectrum constraint rather a usage issue until it is resolved. For example, the western us once resolved will be a 5x5.

Remember IBEZ is not a spectrum constraint rather a usage issue until it is resolved. For example, the western us once resolved will be a 5x5.

I'm well aware of what IBEZ is, just recanting what we already know about 800mhz availability from Robert's spectrum map. 

From what I seen on the spectrum map that Robert showed there was the same amount across the US. Southernlinc is near the bta I'm in but it still showed sprint as having the same amount as other areas that didn't have southernlinc around. If anyone that knows like aj or Robert would prolly know if there is enough and could give me a definite answer would be nice. I have looked and looked and still have come up confused.