Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Guest kamiller42

New Nexus 5 owner questions:

1. The phone is very nice. The feature behaving very strangely are the radios. This might be related to the CSFB, but it's not what everyone is reporting. I live in the DFW, TX area and have LTE working... mostly. However, what I see often is a problem.

• The indicator says I have LTE (So does SignalCheck.), but I really don't. Can't browse or anything. Toggle mobile data and then I have mobile data, usually 3G and it at least works. Did I really have an LTE signal? Were the radios giving a false report?
  • Areas which were strong LTE on my Note 2 appear as 3G... until I toggle mobile data. I stand in sight of a tower I know to have LTE, full bars and everything on the Note 2. The same on the Nexus 5, but it's showing 3G. Toggle mobile data and now it's LTE. (I tried using phone with the 3G, but I couldn't get Google Now to answer a question.)
  • Phone shows I have signal. I just made a call and all went well. Yet, someone is trying to call me, and the phone never rings.
  • Phone shows I have signal. I place a call, and I start hearing a busy signal. I look at phone and now it says I have no bars. What the?

Would CSFB upgrades be causing these odd behaviors?

2. Should I turn on the extra LTE bands? One or both?

3. Anyone using Tasker? This CSFB thing is going to really make creating contexts challenging. I use Cell Near context on a few tasks. For instance, if I am near cell IDs 1,2,3 and it's a week day, assume I am at work. Now, the phone records no cell IDs unless the Nexus 5 is using the tower. Do these towers transmit LTE IDs? Maybe we can request an LTE Near context.

• Like 1

Another good text app is 8sms. It's the AOSP one.

Nice, I like this one a lot.  Textra is nice and simple as well but 8sms is basically the stock Android app.  Both of these seem to work with Lightflow for me as well.  

I got Handcent to finally work with Lightflow as well as long as I turned off the popup completely.  I like the popup though and 8sms works with the popup.

After disabling Google location services and disabling the google now maps card, my battery is way better today. I've been off charger for about 4 hours and am at 90%. Yesterday I was already at 75%.

That's how I run my Galaxy S III. While Google Now and being always connected sounds like a nice feature, it definitely puts stress on the battery. That's actually one of the reasons I originally leaned towards the LG G2. I wanted to see if I could use a phone that could have everything syncing without worrying about battery life. But the Nexus 5 is so tempting, and I definitely don't really *need* everything to be synced all the time. It's probably how I'll run the Nexus 5 when ever I get it.

• Like 1

New Nexus 5 owner questions:

1. The phone is very nice. The feature behaving very strangely are the radios. This might be related to the CSFB, but it's not what everyone is reporting. I live in the DFW, TX area and have LTE working... mostly. However, what I see often is a problem.

• The indicator says I have LTE (So does SignalCheck.), but I really don't. Can't browse or anything. Toggle mobile data and then I have mobile data, usually 3G and it at least works. Did I really have an LTE signal? Were the radios giving a false report?
  • Areas which were strong LTE on my Note 2 appear as 3G... until I toggle mobile data. I stand in sight of a tower I know to have LTE, full bars and everything on the Note 2. The same on the Nexus 5, but it's showing 3G. Toggle mobile data and now it's LTE. (I tried using phone with the 3G, but I couldn't get Google Now to answer a question.)
  • Phone shows I have signal. I just made a call and all went well. Yet, someone is trying to call me, and the phone never rings.
  • Phone shows I have signal. I place a call, and I start hearing a busy signal. I look at phone and now it says I have no bars. What the?

Would CSFB upgrades be causing these odd behaviors?

2. Should I turn on the extra LTE bands? One or both?

3. Anyone using Tasker? This CSFB thing is going to really make creating contexts challenging. I use Cell Near context on a few tasks. For instance, if I am near cell IDs 1,2,3 and it's a week day, assume I am at work. Now, the phone records no cell IDs unless the Nexus 5 is using the tower. Do these towers transmit LTE IDs? Maybe we can request an LTE Near context.

how do you turn on the other bands exactly? I haven't seen an option for that, I thought they were off by default until Sprint flipped the switches on the 800/2600mhz? 

Has anyone had any issues with receiving a phone call when swiping to answer I noticed that I won't be able to actually take the call and I'll have to keep swiping until the caller goes to voice mail even then, I'll have to do a hard reboot!

Sprint won't give me my MSL >.< They say they can't give it out while I'm under contract. He understands that the phone is already unlocked, but due to their "process and procedures" they can't give it out. Guess I'll have to do it the hard way...

I got my msl in less than 5 minutes over sprint chat.

"I would like to know my MSL # to keep in my records, thank you."

If that does not work, you could switch back to your old phone (via the website), then switch back to your nexus. You should get an email with both device MSL #.

• Like 2

Has anyone had any issues with receiving a phone call when swiping to answer I noticed that I won't be able to actually take the call and I'll have to keep swiping until the caller goes to voice mail even then, I'll have to do a hard reboot!

Yes, I am having the exact same issue. Thought it only did it when screen was locked but after further testing it seems random. Contacted Google last night and they said they I am the only one that has that issue. No solution offered other than factory reset which I am actually trying now. If that doesn't work I will return the phone

I got my MSL by running a logcat on my phone (must be rooted) using the catlog app in the play store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How did it show up in the logcat so I can grep for it?

Thanks!

edit: nevermind, chat gave it to me.

Edited by afazel
  • Like 1

For anyone that wants to get their MSL via logcat here are the steps.

Root

Install Catlog from play store.

Open Catlog grant root permission and acknowledge pop-ups.

Switch to your dialer

Type *#*#3282#*#*

Got to the LTE menu, choose edit

Where it asks for your service code switch back to Catlog and pause the app

Search for LG_SVC_ITEMS

It should filter the list down to a few items. One of these items should have a length of 6, you can click on this and there should be a 6 digit number this is your MSL.

• Like 6

Hey guys, just want to let everyone that is concerned about the CSFB issue that it might end up being a quick fix. I live in Madison WI where we are on samsung towers and I lost my LTE when I upgraded to my N5. I was having some connectivity issues late this morning with my 3g and by 230 this afternoon I have LTE on my nexus. Just wanted to share how quick this was done to keep everyone's hopes up!

• Like 4

I agree, I think they are aggressively rolling out the tower/network updates.

Anecdotally I have been staying connected to LTE more on every commute, so I am assuming they have been updating towers along the way every day.

• Like 1

Sprint won't give me my MSL >.< They say they can't give it out while I'm under contract. He understands that the phone is already unlocked, but due to their "process and procedures" they can't give it out. Guess I'll have to do it the hard way...

Call a corporate store, I used to give it all the time when I worked there. Just say are trying to manually activate the phone but you need your msl and msid.

Yes, the CSFB issue will lessen every day as more sites are able to have the Triband LTE devices connected to them are able to pass through onto the CSFB capable network.  It will become a non issue pretty quickly.  It should all be resolved in 90 days on existing LTE sites.  But someone has to be one of those last sites, unfortunately.

Robert

• Like 7

Yes, I am having the exact same issue. Thought it only did it when screen was locked but after further testing it seems random. Contacted Google last night and they said they I am the only one that has that issue. No solution offered other than factory reset which I am actually trying now. If that doesn't work I will return the phone

I have noticed that it does not affect my left thumb and mostly my right thumb and I also noticed that it sensitive to the sensitivity or lack of sensitivity of the skin. My right thumb is a little harder calloused then my left so it's probably not picking up the pressure sensitivity from the contact! which points to either a calibration issue if that is case as an uneducated guess.

For anyone that wants to get their MSL via logcat here are the steps.

Root

Install Catlog from play store.

Open Catlog grant root permission and acknowledge pop-ups.

Switch to your dialer

Type *#*#3282#*#*

Got to the LTE menu, choose edit

Where it asks for your service code switch back to Catlog and pause the app

Search for LG_SVC_ITEMS

It should filter the list down to a few items. One of these items should have a length of 6, you can click on this and there should be a 6 digit number this is your MSL.

Or an alternative method to get your MSL for more than just LG phones is located here for those that don't want to phone into Sprint.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5022-easy-method-to-obtain-your-msl/