Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Is that possible to do with an N5? Did you get the update or change your APNs? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You should be able to do this with the N5 since it is a triband LTE device after all.  I don't have a N5 unfortunately to test this it out on that phone at the same tower.  No I did not have to change APNs.  

If you know you have B41 LTE around you...you will need to enable the B41 LTE band. 

To do this, do the following on your Nexus 5:

1. On the dialer, type *#*#DATA#*#* (*#*#3282#*#*)

2. Select "LTE" and select "Edit"

3.  Enter your MSL for Service Code.

4. Select "Band41 Enable/Disable" and select "Enable"

5. Select "Band 41 Priority" and choose "1"

6. Select "Band 25 Priority" and choose "0"

7. Reboot your phone (it should automatically do it for you if you exit out of the menu).

8. Find a B41 LTE tower

9. Take speedtests and LTE engineering menu screenshots

10. Profit and brag about it on S4GRU forums.

The issue with some folks not being able to connect to LTE is explained here and has nothing to do with any faulty APNs:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

• Like 3

I have noticed that it does not affect my left thumb and mostly my right thumb and I also noticed that it sensitive to the sensitivity or lack of sensitivity of the skin. My right thumb is a little harder calloused then my left so it's probably not picking up the pressure sensitivity from the contact! which points to either a calibration issue if that is case as an uneducated guess.

Just wanted to report that per instructions from Google I performed a full reset on the phone and the unable to answer problem still occurs from time to time. The behavior on mine seems unrelated to the touchscreen contact not being correct since I can see the green answer icon highlight when I drag it over. Basically the phone won't work as a phone for me and they have no idea what it is so back it goes to Google. I did like the phone otherwise but the basic functionality of using it as a phone is essential.

You should be able to do this with the N5 since it is a triband LTE device after all.  I don't have a N5 unfortunately to test this it out on that phone at the same tower.  No I did not have to change APNs.  

If you know you have B41 LTE around you...you will need to enable the B41 LTE band. 

To do this, do the following on your Nexus 5:

1. On the dialer, type *#*#DATA#*#* (*#*#3282#*#*)

2. Select "LTE" and select "Edit"

3.  Enter your MSL for Service Code.

4. Select "Band41 Enable/Disable" and select "Enable"

5. Select "Band 41 Priority" and choose "1"

6. Select "Band 25 Priority" and choose "0"

7. Reboot your phone (it should automatically do it for you if you exit out of the menu).

8. Find a B41 LTE tower

9. Take speedtests and LTE engineering menu screenshots

10. Profit and brag about it on S4GRU forums.

The issue with some folks not being able to connect to LTE is explained here and has nothing to do with any faulty APNs:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

I need to get my MSL so I can go band 41 hunting this weekend...

Guest kamiller42

what area(s) of dfw are you in?

All over. Yesterday, I was on the Dallas tollway near the Coke building. According to phone, I had a strong LTE signal. So I tried a network app. The signal on phone went dark and a few moments later came back in 3G and never got LTE again.

On another occasion, I was in an office building. Had signal in an office on the building's wall, has window and such. I stepped out, walked toward middle of building where I usually lose signal, came back to windowed office and phone sat there saying "Looking for carrier..." I had to reset the phone to get a signal. No reason it should not have picked up a signal before.

All over. Yesterday, I was on the Dallas tollway near the Coke building. According to phone, I had a strong LTE signal. So I tried a network app. The signal on phone went dark and a few moments later came back in 3G and never got LTE again.

On another occasion, I was in an office building. Had signal in an office on the building's wall, has window and such. I stepped out, walked toward middle of building where I usually lose signal, came back to windowed office and phone sat there saying "Looking for carrier..." I had to reset the phone to get a signal. No reason it should not have picked up a signal before.

Thanks, I've been in DT, uptown and central Dallas in general and I've not been too impressed with LTE coverage. Speeds are decent iirc for both networks, but never have I been impressed with signals in the area.

Well FW was actually OK when I was there for the Texas TCU game a few weeks ago.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I need to get my MSL so I can go band 41 hunting this weekend...

Just use this app on the Nexus 5 to bypass the dialer code.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cellmapper.nexus5fieldtestmode

You can use this method to get your MSL:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5022-easy-method-to-obtain-your-msl-and-flash-a-prl/?p=237659

• Like 2

Still waiting on Sprint to ship a SIM, but I have plenty of time given the wait for the N5.  Anyone manage to snag a SIM recently?  T-Mobile was doing a special where you can get one of their pre-paid SIMs for free so I picked it up in case I ever wanted to try out T-Mobile in my N5.

Still waiting on Sprint to ship a SIM, but I have plenty of time given the wait for the N5.  Anyone manage to snag a SIM recently?  T-Mobile was doing a special where you can get one of their pre-paid SIMs for free so I picked it up in case I ever wanted to try out T-Mobile in my N5.

I ordered one last week, get it today, less than a week. They told me there was a backorder too, give it a little time you'll get one.

I have tried the n5 with a prepaid T-Mobile sim, their LTE is very fast, crazy fast, in the places you can get it, but don't leave the city and if you stay in the city, don't go indoors, otherwise it drops to Edge and then nothing.

Also using it with AT&T, also great speeds, 15 to 30 Mbps, great coverage, when LTE isn't available it drops to HSPA+ which gives good speeds of 2 to 4 Mbps. Fast enough for me.

I think that with AT&T LTE is connecting on their 700 Mhz band, not sure. How can I find that out?

OK you have to do *#*#3282#*#*

Go to LTE

Click edit

Enter your msl

And click enable. Make sure your matching priority 1 on all 3

When all that is done... Do *#*#72786#*#* and that will reset your profile for assurance.

Tried it in Miami. Its not ready yet for prime time

**if I helped you... Then help me become sponsor so I can see what towers are upgraded for optimum usage

post-1655-0-06475700-1384365665_thumb.png

post-1655-0-23998100-1384365678_thumb.png

Edited by jonathanlc2005

I ordered one last week, get it today, less than a week. They told me there was a backorder too, give it a little time you'll get one.

I have tried the n5 with a prepaid T-Mobile sim, their LTE is very fast, crazy fast, in the places you can get it, but don't leave the city and if you stay in the city, don't go indoors, otherwise it drops to Edge and then nothing.

Also using it with AT&T, also great speeds, 15 to 30 Mbps, great coverage, when LTE isn't available it drops to HSPA+ which gives good speeds of 2 to 4 Mbps. Fast enough for me.

I think that with AT&T LTE is connecting on their 700 Mhz band, not sure. How can I find that out?

Might be able to check it in the engineering screens.  

Yeah the biggest reason I wanted the T-Mobile SIM was "just in case".  If a hurricane ever knocks out the Sprint network in the area I don't think there would be much hope for T-Mobile, but at least I could have a second option to try to get a signal.  Who knows?

Checked up with Sprint on my order and they said that it'll take 15 days before they get anything in lol.  Still fine by me since the phone is 3 weeks out, but I feel bad for those who have the phone and are waiting on the SIM.

Here's the article about the deal if anyone else was interested in getting a T-Mobile SIM. Never know when it could come in handy.

http://www.wpcentral.com/deal-alert-t-mobile-sim-free

I see this deal almost every few weeks on techbargains.com

I got one few months ago to test my new Nokia 521

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/375817

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BAH! Figures, I ordered a T-Mobile one over the weekend after unsuccessfully searching for promo codes for a couple of days.. oh well, it's ten bucks. Have an AT&T one as well. Now if the phone itself would just show up..  :)

-Mike

BAH! Figures, I ordered a T-Mobile one over the weekend after unsuccessfully searching for promo codes for a couple of days.. oh well, it's ten bucks. Have an AT&T one as well. Now if the phone itself would just show up..  :)

-Mike

I feel like that's how it always is when you need something right now in the tech world.  It's a given that you'll find a discount after you already bit the bullet lol. 

Here's the article about the deal if anyone else was interested in getting a T-Mobile SIM. Never know when it could come in handy.

http://www.wpcentral.com/deal-alert-t-mobile-sim-free

I ordered mine just because, good job and thanks for the information! I am still waiting for Sprint to send my Simm, but I really don't need it since I wnet to a Corporate store and activated my phone last week. Edited by QWIKSTRIKE
  • Like 2

Might be able to check it in the engineering screens.  

Yeah the biggest reason I wanted the T-Mobile SIM was "just in case".  If a hurricane ever knocks out the Sprint network in the area I don't think there would be much hope for T-Mobile, but at least I could have a second option to try to get a signal.  Who knows?

Checked up with Sprint on my order and they said that it'll take 15 days before they get anything in lol.  Still fine by me since the phone is 3 weeks out, but I feel bad for those who have the phone and are waiting on the SIM.

You're in Florida, I have read that they have good service there, the state's topology helps.

Its fun to try other services.

Anyone move to the N5 from the Note 2 want to comment about how they compare on really weak signal, like when the 2 can't decide to fall back to CDMA. Also if you miss the extra 1/2 diagonal. OK to PM me If you don't want to clutter the thread.

Or an alternative method to get your MSL for more than just LG phones is located here for those that don't want to phone into Sprint.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5022-easy-method-to-obtain-your-msl/

Can some one explain why there is no way for me to select  the usb charge only selection. I got every step complete but it won't show up in tje com port so I am guessing that not being albe to set the phone to charge only on  USB is causing this.

You're in Florida, I have read that they have good service there, the state's topology helps.

Its fun to try other services.

Oh without a doubt the service is great here.  The only place I have seen better Sprint service is in the Shentel areas.