Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Are you sure it was a confirmed B41 LTE site?  I am very surprised that not more premier sponsors at S4GRU with the Nexus 5 have been testing out B41 LTE especially after it was confirmed by me and Ascertion on the G2 that you can connect to B41 LTE right now.

Waiting for Robert to upgrade my account with premier sponsorship and then I'll do a little testing of my own soon.

Edit:  he did it while I typed!

Edited by Devin
  • Like 7

Waiting for Robert to upgrade my account with premier sponsorship and then I'll do a little testing of my own soon.

Edit:  he did it while I typed!

Welcome to the club now check out the Clearwire LTE thread and find the towers near you to do some testing.

I just got in my replacement Nexus 5 (the original one wouldn't activate), and it's now my primary phone!

This thing pulls a signal a good 6db (RSRP) better than my S III in the same spot on Band 25. I got my MSL so I can test Band 41 capabilities too.

• Like 3

Are you sure it was a confirmed B41 LTE site?  I am very surprised that not more premier sponsors at S4GRU with the Nexus 5 have been testing out B41 LTE especially after it was confirmed by me and Ascertion on the G2 that you can connect to B41 LTE right now.

I'll contribute the best I can once I get the N5 I ordered. I am curious if OC market has live B41 since we aren't getting B26 during the initial roll out. Does doing all these tests require root or just MSL and some engineering changes?

I'll contribute the best I can once I get the N5 I ordered. I am curious if OC market has live B41 since we aren't getting B26 during the initial roll out. Does doing all these tests require root or just MSL and some engineering changes?

You need your MSL and you can get your MSL here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5022-easy-method-to-obtain-your-msl-and-flash-a-prl/?p=237659

You can use this app to bypass the dialer code for the Nexus 5:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cellmapper.nexus5fieldtestmode

You do not need root to do this and all you need to do is just open up the app from above and just enable B41 LTE band.  You might want to also set the Band Priority for B41 to 1 and B25 to 0 and then reboot your phone.

Also about the OC market.  There definitely is B41 LTE live in the OC although not as much as I would have liked but there is.  In fact I tested another B41 LTE site on my G2 early this morning this time in the OC market vs. LA market.  I almost hit speeds of 60 Mbps.  I'll post screenshots later.

EDIT:  I was wrong 

Edited by ericdabbs
  • Like 1

You don't need your MSL.  You can use this app to bypass the MSL for the Nexus 5:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cellmapper.nexus5fieldtestmode

You do not need root to do this and all you need to do is just open up the app from above and just enable B41 LTE band.  You might want to also set the Band Priority for B41 to 1 and B25 to 0 and then reboot your phone.

Also about the OC market.  There definitely is B41 LTE live in the OC although not as much as I would have liked but there is.  In fact I tested another B41 LTE site on my G2 early this morning this time in the OC market vs. LA market.  I almost hit speeds of 60 Mbps.  I'll post screenshots later.

Awesome! I know you can't mention area specifics since I am not a premier sponsor...YET! But I am in Northern OC so hopefully there is some. I had good Wimax coverage if that is any indication. I get to go site hunting again just like when NV started int eh OC/LA areas!

Awesome! I know you can't mention area specifics since I am not a premier sponsor...YET! But I am in Northern OC so hopefully there is some. I had good Wimax coverage if that is any indication. I get to go site hunting again just like when NV started int eh OC/LA areas!

I work in the fullerton area so yes there is B41 LTE in northern OC.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I work in the fullerton area so yes there is B41 LTE in northern OC.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Jealous of you northern OC folks. I live in Tustin and work in Irvine, and other than UC Irvine, there are like 2 spots with just band 25 LTE (exaggerating... but sometimes that's how I feel). Of course, those "2" (2 in quotes because it's more than 2, but not a lot) spots weren't there a month ago, so I'm still happy seeing Sprint make progress.

As for B41, there are like... 10 WIMAX towers in all of Tustin and Irvine, so other than those specific locations, I don't expect B41 anytime soon. As I said in the last paragraph though, it's nice to even see B25 spreading around. I'll be satisfied once I see band 25 everywhere, and band 41 will just be icing on the cake. Oh well. When I visit my parents in LA, I'll have amazing speeds.

I downloaded the Field Test App but when I try and change anything its asking for the code...how do you get around this? Does anyone know what bands are available in the Baton Rouge, LA area?

Edited by creine59

I downloaded the Field Test App but when I try and change anything its asking for the code...how do you get around this? Does anyone know what bands are available in the Baton Rouge, LA area?

OMG.. Hold the phone. Stop the presses. A Baton Rouge Sprint user! ;)

Might be a bit of B25 depending on your area but that's about it for a while. Some parts of the city don't have LTE yet. Fellow BR Sprint user here.

• Like 1

AWSOME, thought I was out here all alone  :( I have B25 at my home, was wanting to check out the other bands, if there are any right now, but can not get the Field Test App to work with out my code.  Although I was reading that you did not need the code with this app?  I am out in Jefferson Terrace right off Jefferson and Airline Hwy., not sure where the tower is but get OK signal outside but crappy signal in the house.

A mini and not very accurate comparison between the G2 and Nexus 5 Cameras.

Albums are linked but I won't tell ya which is which.. make your own guesses :)

Album Alpha: http://imgur.com/nSS87yP,Fp3fFYi,L1KCIJR,kZYXTyo,F0KfQN9,fV6ecPv,sWLLPD5,afgNj7t,I7fhsar,HuGkGru,V5YziNj,NT3ywOv,d0GdJFY#12

Album Beta  : http://imgur.com/VetR9YA,vipkIik,Lpkghqt,4Py1KTU,mRfzDjX,JP06vfD,h9gLJjD#5

Album 1 Sample - 

d0GdJFY.jpg

A2

JP06vfD.jpg

AWSOME, thought I was out here all alone :( I have B25 at my home, was wanting to check out the other bands, if there are any right now, but can not get the Field Test App to work with out my code. Although I was reading that you did not need the code with this app? I am out in Jefferson Terrace right off Jefferson and Airline Hwy., not sure where the tower is but get OK signal outside but crappy signal in the house.

That area is LTE complete 100%, nice to know you are not having issues with the device here picking up LTE.

If you become a sponsor you can access the NOLA/BR market sheet and map that will tell you everything you need to know. Plus it helps keep the lights on here. There's a few folks in the market that post in the sponsor area thread.

There aren't any B41 sites besides the one wimax protection site near BRCC. I doubt they have converted this to LTE though. B26 is what I am waiting on to fix the Baton Rouge issues but it will be a while as they still have a bit of work to do on the PCS 3G and 4G rollout first.

Must be a hell of a performer. My G2 after messing around with some settings is besting my old GS3 now. It's hard to imagine an even better RF performer out there.

Sent from my LG-LS980

The Nexus 5 puts my friends GS3 LTE to shame. -99-103 dBm vs ~108-116 dBm at the same spot. 

• Like 6

Must be a hell of a performer. My G2 after messing around with some settings is besting my old GS3 now. It's hard to imagine an even better RF performer out there.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Can't wait to see the difference when I compare my N5 against my EVO lol.

A whole new world...

• Like 1

Can't wait to see the difference when I compare my N5 against my EVO lol.[/size]A whole new world...[/size]

Whatever you say, Jasmine...

:P

AJ

• Like 5

You don't need your MSL. You can use this app to bypass the MSL for the Nexus 5:

You do not need root to do this and all you need to do is just open up the app from above and just enable B41 LTE band. You might want to also set the Band Priority for B41 to 1 and B25 to 0 and then reboot your phone.

Also about the OC market. There definitely is B41 LTE live in the OC although not as much as I would have liked but there is. In fact I tested another B41 LTE site on my G2 early this morning this time in the OC market vs. LA market. I almost hit speeds of 60 Mbps. I'll post screenshots later.

You still need msl

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For anyone that wants to get their MSL via logcat here are the steps.

Root

Install Catlog from play store.

Open Catlog grant root permission and acknowledge pop-ups.

Switch to your dialer

Type *#*#3282#*#*

Got to the LTE menu, choose edit

Where it asks for your service code switch back to Catlog and pause the app

Search for LG_SVC_ITEMS

It should filter the list down to a few items. One of these items should have a length of 6, you can click on this and there should be a 6 digit number this is your MSL.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thank you.  For anyone without root and familiar with adb - you can read the logs by connecting your phone to your computer and using 'adb logcat'

edit:  My bad - saw this was already mentioned.  

Edited by mrjeff