Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Sheesh, Sprint apologist here.

What they should have done at a minimum was explain the issue in some sort of press release and when you buy the device from Sprint. The fact that they didn't has me believing that they were caught off guard. Because what company thinks it is a good strategy to simply ignore the issue and pretend like it's not there? (at least when these devices were launched)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Disagree. Less than 0.1% of customers is going to have an ounce of knowledge to understand a press release like that. For the remainder they will get some calls of the LTE not working. The answer to them is that it is a known issue as part of the upgrades that are in progress and that it will be fixed. Most people will simply go away at that point. Where they do potentially have a problem is in the previously announced markets that are supposed to be done. Those people have a legitimate beef.

You can't expect Sprint to run the company for the miniscule amount of people that frequent and understand a forum like this.

• Like 1

Holy cow...  just waded through more than 500 posts since Friday morning!

I broke down and stopped by my neighborhood corporate store on Friday afternoon and picked up a black (16gb) N5.  An LG rep was in the store setting up the display models of the N5 & G2 and she let me play with both of hers.  The G2 is nice, but I opted for the N5 based on the value and the fact that it's a Nexus.

It took them forever to get it up and running (huge system update out of the box) so I left and had lunch while they were working on it.  Once they were done, the first app I installed was SignalCheckPro and I was blown away by the LTE signal strength.  It is generally 10 to 15 db better than my EVO LTE everywhere I've taken it so far.  The real test will be when I take it to work on Tues where I could barely get LTE due to my office being in the center of the building.

I have not experienced the connectivity issues reported in this thread, but I think that's due to Indianapolis being nearly 3G complete with very few 4G only sites left.

Initial impressions after a few days of use:

1. LTE radio is a beast.

2. Phone is very light, but build quality seems to be high.

3. Took some getting used to the power button being on the right and the volume rockers on the left.

4. Battery life is similar to what I experienced with my EVO, but it's too early to make any proclamations about that yet.

5. Fast, responsive user interface.

6. Missing a few of the old Sense apps from my EVO.  I liked their calendar widget, messaging app, and clock/weather widget, but I'm slowly finding replacements.  Next thing I replace will probably be a messaging app to replace Hangouts.

7. Initially missed voicemail app, but thanks to this thread I've now set up Google Voice to handle that and it has worked well in testing so far.

8. So far, the only app I use which doesn't work is the Uverse app.  I'm guessing it doesn't like KitKat and needs to be updated.  It just crashes as soon as I try to authenticate with my Uverse login credentials.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.  Additionally, my mom is happy as she was able to replace her crappy Viper LTE with my old EVO LTE.

• Like 2

can someone confirm if the visual voicemail app that is found stock, or was found stock on so many past sprint devices, is on the N5?  Way back, before i had VVM, I claimed i would never want it and then i got a Samsung Epic and then a Moto Photon Q and now I dont think i could accept a phone without it.  Having all messages laid out is great.  i dont really want to use GV or some other third party app as VVM always seemed very well integrated.  Maybe being a multi carrier device it didnt make it on?

can someone confirm if the visual voicemail app that is found stock, or was found stock on so many past sprint devices, is on the N5? Way back, before i had VVM, I claimed i would never want it and then i got a Samsung Epic and then a Moto Photon Q and now I dont think i could accept a phone without it. Having all messages laid out is great. i dont really want to use GV or some other third party app as VVM always seemed very well integrated. Maybe being a multi carrier device it didnt make it on?

The "stock" Sprint VVM app is NOT included on the Nexus.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Personally, I am glad to have my G2 and would be glad to have a N5. Even without LTE, I have access to wifi most places I go and the eHRPD signal strength is strong. Even with 3G, I can get steady 1.5-2 mbps speeds and do what I need.  When I do get LTE, it is ridiculous how well these two LG phones hold onto the signal and the speed it results in. At least there  is a choice for customers. If you want the phone, it is available. If you can't deal, then you can return and pick up a different phone.

6. Missing a few of the old Sense apps from my EVO.  I liked their calendar widget, messaging app, and clock/weather widget, but I'm slowly finding replacements.  Next thing I replace will probably be a messaging app to replace Hangouts.

Care to share some?  I'm coming from an EVO LTE too and really liked Sense lol.

• Like 1

Care to share some?  I'm coming from an EVO LTE too and really liked Sense lol.

So far, I've only set up GV to replace the voicemail app.  So far, the basic Google Now weather is working for me and if I need/want more, I have the Accuweather app installed.  It has a decent 4x1 widget.

I haven't really started looking for replacements for the Calendar or Messaging app.  I always liked the Sense versions and this is my first non-HTC phone in about 4 years.

• Like 1

Anyone know if we can install an apk of the messaging app from the N4?  I really like the hangouts app and have long awaited it's new functionality, but want to have the old messaging app back until they organize Hangout's threads better. 

Anyone order their device recently and have it ship sooner than expected? I am getting antsy lol.

I ordered a 32GB black model for my wife two days ago. It still says will leave warehouse by 12/3.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I ordered a 32GB black model for my wife two days ago. It still says will leave warehouse by 12/3.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I knew I should've just caved the night they started accepting orders lol.  Took a little doing to work myself into it. 

The two of you will make a great interracial couple.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Anyone know if we can install an apk of the messaging app from the N4?  I really like the hangouts app and have long awaited it's new functionality, but want to have the old messaging app back until they organize Hangout's threads better. 

Why not try sideloading the messaging app from the Nexus 4?  You can be the experimenter and report back to us.

AJ

Why not try sideloading the messaging app from the Nexus 4?  You can be the experimenter and report back to us.

AJ

Don't have the N5 yet, so I can't confirm for sure if it would work on it.  I know that the stock app has had issues when being sideloaded on other devices with custom skins so my EVO probably wouldn't be the best test for this. 

I'll see if I can find a good apk and give it a go though.

For what it's worth, if anyone is looking for a great traditional SMS app, I recommend Textra - it's fast and lightweight with a clean UI; supports 'just enough' features (e.g. group MMS) and does not have any of the bloat that comes with something like GoSMS.

• Like 4

For what it's worth, if anyone is looking for a great traditional SMS app, I recommend Textra - it's fast and lightweight with a clean UI; supports 'just enough' features (e.g. group MMS) and does not have any of the bloat that comes with something like GoSMS.

I second that... downloaded Textra bc I didn't like the way hangouts was laid out - I don't want all the extras and seeing my entire G+ contact list  in there was annoying.

• Like 3

Hopefully if enough people voice not liking the hangouts integration Google will release their messaging app on the play store like they did with they keyboard. I personally used 3rd party ICS/JB keyboards until Google finally released theirs.

Side note-Sprint hasn't even given my ordered SIMs any tracking info!  :angry:

Care to share some? I'm coming from an EVO LTE too and really liked Sense lol.

I had that issue when I initially made the jump from the EVO to the Galaxy s3. Here are the replacements I use:

Beautiful widgets for clock and weather

Smooth Calendar for agenda/calendar

Mknistocks and sigfig for stocks and investments

Happy hunting!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hopefully if enough people voice not liking the hangouts integration Google will release their messaging app on the play store like they did with they keyboard. I personally used 3rd party ICS/JB keyboards until Google finally released theirs.

Side note-Sprint hasn't even given my ordered SIMs any tracking info!  :angry:

speaking of keyboards, I haven't used a stock keyboard in several years. Swiftkey has been well worth the money.

• Like 1

Just think of those cute N5 minis that could result..

That would make them one quarter white.  But which quarter?  Top or bottom?  Screen or back plate?

:P

AJ