Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I've only seen a couple of people report even close to the issue I'm having, so I figured I'll just ask here.

I was at the Vikings/Washington game at the Metrodome Thursday, and while I couldn't connect to LTE (obviously), I started out on 3G, then fell to 1x, then would lose signal entirely for a time.  Thinking back to my Galaxy Nexus, I would disable LTE (it was worthless there, which is frustrating because I see the people in front of me with AT&T happily browsing and sending pictures and texts all game with no issue), and I'd have solid 3G the entire game.  I'd look at my battery meter after the game, I never remember seeing more than 1% of time without signal.  Checking my N5 after the game, I was at 27% of the time off charger without signal, and that included drive in, pregame, game, and then getting back to the car.

Anyone else have this?  I've been paying more attention recently now, and every once in a while when I look I've just completely lost signal for a little whlie, then it pops back on.

My G2 has had the same issue. While driving along I-95, it would literally just drop to no signal instead of handoff to the next available tower. Airplane mode doesn't fix it, but a PRL update will. It doesn't happen all the time, though. I can drive the exact route back home and it will be fine.

My G2 has had the same issue. While driving along I-95, it would literally just drop to no signal instead of handoff to the next available tower. Airplane mode doesn't fix it, but a PRL update will. It doesn't happen all the time, though. I can drive the exact route back home and it will be fine.

Does sprint not test these before they release them? I don't understand how a company can release a phone that doesn't work. Sprint knows what kind of equipment they use in all of their markets, they know the hardware specs of the device. Either they didn't fully test the phone, or they did, knew there was a problem, and released it anyway. I just want to buy a Nexus, its so incredibly frustrating.

I'm sure they tested them and what setups they tried worked in. There are a bunch of different combinations and my guess is they assumed it wouldn't be an issue anywhere. Easy to do, what you foresee is not what gets you in the deepest do do.

Does sprint not test these before they release them? I don't understand how a company can release a phone that doesn't work. Sprint knows what kind of equipment they use in all of their markets, they know the hardware specs of the device. Either they didn't fully test the phone, or they did, knew there was a problem, and released it anyway. I just want to buy a Nexus, its so incredibly frustrating.

I'm sure they tested them and what setups they tried worked in. There are a bunch of different combinations and my guess is they assumed it wouldn't be an issue anywhere. Easy to do, what you foresee is not what gets you in the deepest do do.

< nothing to see here, move along >

No, eCSFB is a network issue, not a device issue.  Network Vision is simply not as far along in some markets as Sprint would like.  But what is Sprint to do?  Not release the LG G2 and Nexus 5 until next spring or even skip them altogether?  People would then complain that Sprint does not have the latest and greatest handsets.  Heck, some members here whined when the G2 was not released for a month after it appeared on other providers.

Sometimes, you have to do the best that you can in a flawed situation.  That is what Sprint is trying to do.

AJ

• Like 8

I do like the Nexus 5 and understand why there are issues on the Sprint network and don't nave anything negative to say regarding this. I have decided for me that I am going back to my old phone for now and returning the Nexus 5. I don't know if this is appropriate in this forum and apologize in advance but I would be willing to sell to someone here rather than return if anyone wants it. 32gb white in perfect condition.

No, eCSFB is a network issue, not a device issue. Network Vision is simply not as far along in some markets as Sprint would like. But what is Sprint to do? Not release the LG G2 and Nexus 5 until next spring or even skip them altogether? People would then complain that Sprint does not have the latest and greatest handsets. Heck, some members here whined when the G2 was not released for a month after it appeared on other providers.

Sometimes, you have to do the best that you can in a flawed situation. That is what Sprint is trying to do.

AJ

Sheesh, Sprint apologist here.

What they should have done at a minimum was explain the issue in some sort of press release and when you buy the device from Sprint. The fact that they didn't has me believing that they were caught off guard. Because what company thinks it is a good strategy to simply ignore the issue and pretend like it's not there? (at least when these devices were launched)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

No, eCSFB is a network issue, not a device issue.  Network Vision is simply not as far along in some markets as Sprint would like.  But what is Sprint to do?  Not release the LG G2 and Nexus 5 until next spring or even skip them altogether?  People would then complain that Sprint does not have the latest and greatest handsets.  Heck, some members here whined when the G2 was not released for a month after it appeared on other providers.

Sometimes, you have to do the best that you can in a flawed situation.  That is what Sprint is trying to do.

AJ

What is Sprint supposed to do?  I don't know, but if releasing a device that doesn't work properly on their network was the best option, then....wow.

I understand its complicated, but that's what they're supposed to be experts at and that's why we pay them a good amount of money every month.

Anyone order their device recently and have it ship sooner than expected?  I am getting antsy lol.

mine since I ordered the phone on the 2ed still the same status 

PENDING

Leaves warehouse on
11/26/13
  • Like 1

AJ

Sprint was in a no-win situation.  Either release the phones and catch flack for the current network limitation, or delay or pass altogether on these phones and catch flack for not carrying two flagship devices.  I think the decision they made was the right one because it then puts the choice in the consumer's hands. 

The only thing they should have done different is be upfront about the issue if they indeed knew about it.  That way the customer could make an informed purchase and not feel ripped off after the fact.  At least this was figured out early enough returns could be made if desired.

What is Sprint supposed to do?  I don't know, but if releasing a device that doesn't work properly on their network was the best option, then....wow.

I understand its complicated, but that's what they're supposed to be experts at and that's why we pay them a good amount of money every month.

What would you do?  All indications are they are working as fast as they can to get the network up to date.  Would you have just said pass to two flagship devices and catch the heat for that also.  Like I said no-win. 

I will agree though, there should have been a public disclosure.  The mistake was hiding the issue, not releasing the phones.  Trying to hide the issue makes it worse. 

What would you do?  All indications are they are working as fast as they can to get the network up to date.  Would you have just said pass to two flagship devices and catch the heat for that also.  Like I said no-win. 

I will agree though, there should have been a public disclosure.  The mistake was hiding the issue, not releasing the phones.  Trying to hide the issue makes it worse. 

Not release a device that doesn't work.  That's what I would do.  Dealing with complaints, returns, bad press/word of mouth would be the least desirable option in my opinion.  I've been waiting for this device, and while I'm disappointed I can't get one, I would've been even more disappointed to get one and find out it doesn't work.

On a positive note, I am really thankful for this site and all of the knowledgeable people that participate.  If it weren't for this site, I would've purchased the Nexus 5, and I would've been pissed.

Sheesh, Sprint apologist here.

I do not appreciate this one bit. Are you trying to pick a fight with me? It will not end well for you because I am more knowledgeable on the situation, have contributed more to S4GRU in a single week than you ever will, and have moderator powers. I will win.

What they should have done at a minimum was explain the issue in some sort of press release and when you buy the device from Sprint. The fact that they didn't has me believing that they were caught off guard. Because what company thinks it is a good strategy to simply ignore the issue and pretend like it's not there? (at least when these devices were launched)

No, bad call. As I explained in another post, you do not announce to the sharks that blood is in the water. Sprint is hurting. Putting out a press release would only alert other providers and scurrilous bloggers, not to mention scare off users that would not be significantly affected by the temporary eCSFB issue.

Instead, Sprint is dealing with this internally, providing a memo with eCSFB talking points for frontline employees. Need I point out the memo again for about the tenth time?

AJ

• Like 2

Not release a device that doesn't work.  That's what I would do.  Dealing with complaints, returns, bad press/word of mouth would be the least desirable option in my opinion.  I've been waiting for this device, and while I'm disappointed I can't get one, I would've been even more disappointed to get one and find out it doesn't work.

On a positive note, I am really thankful for this site and all of the knowledgeable people that participate.  If it weren't for this site, I would've purchased the Nexus 5, and I would've been pissed.

The device works fine, it can't get 4G in some markets until the network is properly upgraded.  That is why I don't have an issue with releasing it, it just should have been disclosed that it would have this limitation until the network is upgraded.  That is the issue. 

I admit I am biased.  LTE has not been launched in my market yet.  But I have the Nexus and it is working great for me.  So to say the device does not work is just not a true statement. 

The device works fine, it can't get 4G in some markets until the network is properly upgraded.

Huh?  How does it work "fine" if it can't get LTE where LTE is available?  

I wouldn't expect the device to get LTE in a non LTE market, but that's not what we're talking about here.

All this whining needs to stop and those that have a problem with whatever sprint did or didn't do need to get over it and move on.  It is what it is and we should be glad that we have a place like s4gru to discuss these issues and understand why its happening in the first place.  At the end of the day Sprint made a business decision on their end, plain and simple and if you don't like that then you need to decide what's best for yourself. 

• Like 4

No, eCSFB is a network issue, not a device issue. Network Vision is simply not as far along in some markets as Sprint would like. But what is Sprint to do? Not release the LG G2 and Nexus 5 until next spring or even skip them altogether? People would then complain that Sprint does not have the latest and greatest handsets. Heck, some members here whined when the G2 was not released for a month after it appeared on other providers.

Sometimes, you have to do the best that you can in a flawed situation. That is what Sprint is trying to do.

AJ

I meant the network parts for parts that the tried and worked. There are 3 NV vendors, don't know how many legacy, and all the possible combinations of old/new CDMA, LTE, 800, 1900, 2600. I see where some combinations could have worked well for them and the trouble ones missed. Any just my opinion. AJ your the man for knowing how this works, I defer to your assessment. Sprint will fix it as fast as possible I'm sure, but many still won't be happy. You can't please everyone.

• Like 1

Huh?  How does it work "fine" if it can't get LTE where LTE is available?  

I wouldn't expect the device to get LTE in a non LTE market, but that's not what we're talking about here.

The eCSFB issue is little different from 18 months ago when Sprint started selling LTE handsets before LTE was officially available anywhere.  Some people approved of that move; others strongly criticized it.  As always, you cannot please everyone.

But this has become standard operating procedure for Sprint.  Do not fall behind on desirable devices.  Release them even if the network is not ready for their full capabilities.  That way, they are already on the network as soon as it goes live.

If you cannot stomach this, then we recommend honestly that Sprint is not the right choice for you.  Go find another wireless provider.

AJ

• Like 3

mine since I ordered the phone on the 2ed still the same status 

PENDING

Leaves warehouse on
11/26/13

Which version was it?  I got the 16GB Black so I figure I probably have the worst case scenario of getting an early shipment lol. 

The eCSFB issue is little different from 18 months ago when Sprint started selling LTE handsets before LTE was officially available anywhere.  Some people approved of that move; others strongly criticized it.  As always, you cannot please everyone.

But this has become standard operating procedure for Sprint.  Do not fall behind on desirable devices.  Release them even if the network is not ready for their full capabilities.  That way, they are already on the network as soon as it goes live.

If you cannot stomach this, then we recommend honestly that Sprint is not the right choice for you.  Go find another wireless provider.

AJ

I'm fine, just disappointed and thinking "seriously Sprint?  This is happening again?"  I'll just have to "suffer" with my S4 that does get LTE at my workplace and my home.