Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I'll visit the sprint store again to check it out and lower the brightness. I guess I'm not a big fan of screen accuracy, the punchy colors just look better to me. I'm trying to convince myself to get a n5 lol

I have my brightness set to less than 25% and I have great visuals and it is brighter than my SG3. My SG3 has more saturated color, but whites are like a blueish tinted hue, and darker. Try setting 25% brightness and try like all of the wall paper for home screen and choose a black or no wall paper background.......this thing is extremely vivid and can be viewed from any angle; However the black is not as vivid and dakr like my SG3. It 

I think the panels on the N5 have a problem with the way the brightness is dipalyed on the screen! When the brightness is higer white seems to bleed through too much!

I'll visit the sprint store again to check it out and lower the brightness. I guess I'm not a big fan of screen accuracy, the punchy colors just look better to me. I'm trying to convince myself to get a n5 lol

It really depends on your priorities.

Originally I was planning on getting the LG G2. I read Anandtech's mini review on it, and the battery life and camera blew me away, and this is coming from someone who doesn't prioritize camera quality on a smartphone (I have a digital camera for that, and one that specializes in low light pictures since I attend nerd conventions and concerts frequently where lighting is definitely not ideal). In any case, I was completely set on the G2. It's just a better phone, spec wise.

Then when it was 100% confirmed that the Play Store version of the Nexus 5 was compatible with Sprint, I started considering what really mattered to me. The Nexus 5 will have timely updates, will have developer support since it's not the Sprint Galaxy Nexus from yesteryear. But the LG G2 is king of battery life, even besting the Droid Maxx in some reviews. I have terrible Sprint reception in my office at work, so the LG G2 was very very enticing. However, I know my way around Android, and I'm able to get my Galaxy S III's battery to 50% after 16 hours off the charger, and this is still with the 8-9 hours roaming on MetroPCS in my office. Not only that, but I'm a flashaholic. I'm always trying out new ROMs, and I tend to stick with AOSP, which was one of the main factors with me dropping my Epic 4G Touch to get a Galaxy S 3.

So in the end, I decided that the developer support was really what mattered to me. I'm sure the LG G2 will have dev support from the big names like CyanogenMod, but there is no way for them to match the support that the Nexus 5 will get. I figured that the Nexus 5 is really what will bring me enjoyment for the lifetime of the product.

So yeah, that's my story. It all depends on you. What do you really want out of your smartphone? It's ok if you end up deciding that the Nexus 5 isn't for you, as long as you end up with a product you are happy with down the line.

I use Lightflow. It takes over your notification light completely so anything you want using the notification light you would set up through Lightflow. I have mine set so the light is red while charging and turns off at 100%.

Thanks, I just downloaded this and set it up.  Have you noticed any ill-effects on battery life?  It mentions that it could cause wake issues (device unable to sleep)...  Unfortunately, just got the phone yesterday so I won't be a good sample but I'll keep everyone posted.

So in the end, I decided that the developer support was really what mattered to me. I'm sure the LG G2 will have dev support from the big names like CyanogenMod, but there is no way for them to match the support that the Nexus 5 will get. I figured that the Nexus 5 is really what will bring me enjoyment for the lifetime of the product.

So yeah, that's my story. It all depends on you. What do you really want out of your smartphone? It's ok if you end up deciding that the Nexus 5 isn't for you, as long as you end up with a product you are happy with down the line.

The G2 already has an unofficial CM 10.2 ROM Nov 11th build and as soon as CM 11 begins work, all the major carriers will get support quickly for that stock Android look.

Also, did you get a notification or have you been checking it on play none stop like me? :blink:

I got a text from UPS when it shipped. I was checking constantly before that though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks, I just downloaded this and set it up. Have you noticed any ill-effects on battery life? It mentions that it could cause wake issues (device unable to sleep)... Unfortunately, just got the phone yesterday so I won't be a good sample but I'll keep everyone posted.

Yeah, I noticed my battery ran down fairly quick today. Not sure if it was Lightflow or not. May have been the Google Now cards, specifically the Maps one. Got that turned off and will see if it fares better tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

For what it's worth, if anyone is looking for a great traditional SMS app, I recommend Textra - it's fast and lightweight with a clean UI; supports 'just enough' features (e.g. group MMS) and does not have any of the bloat that comes with something like GoSMS.

I don't have my N5 yet, but I wanted to say thank you and give Textra another plug -- I installed it on my EVO LTE yesterday, and love it. I had tried several third-party messaging apps in the past, and hated all of them because of all the bloat you mentioned. This is perfect.. and appears to work well with the inescapable iPhone group messages too. Love that you can fully customize each contact's notification settings as well.

-Mike

I'm in the same boat as you. 32 GB, Black, and ships on 11/26. I've also been stocking that status page every day to see if it's changed.  :wacko:

I also just checked the Google Play Store page for the 32 GB Black. They updated the shipping time to 3-4 weeks like the 16 GB one. 32 GB White still shows 2-3 weeks. Good thing we ordered ours before that happened.

Waiting on the same model, but with a 12/3 shipping date.. I check my order and the Google Play listing all the time. At one point last week, the store listing showed 4-5 week lead time for it. Kudos to Google for apparently being conservative with their estimates, lots of reports of early shipping, some by a significant amount of time.

-Mike

I have my brightness set to less than 25% and I have great visuals and it is brighter than my SG3. My SG3 has more saturated color, but whites are like a blueish tinted hue, and darker. Try setting 25% brightness and try like all of the wall paper for home screen and choose a black or no wall paper background.......this thing is extremely vivid and can be viewed from any angle; However the black is not as vivid and dakr like my SG3. It 

I think the panels on the N5 have a problem with the way the brightness is dipalyed on the screen! When the brightness is higer white seems to bleed through too much!

This is something I have noticed with ips screens in general.

I posted this on the wall comments but thought I'd ask here too. With this whole CSFB thing will this allow more reliability with calls and texts? What I mean is often I get texts late or calls won't even chine through although I'm next to a NV site. I'm wondering if this would help any.

Also I know texts have to go through 1x so how long does your data session pause when receiving a text?

I posted this on the wall comments but thought I'd ask here too. With this whole CSFB thing will this allow more reliability with calls and texts? What I mean is often I get texts late or calls won't even chine through although I'm next to a NV site. I'm wondering if this would help any.

Also I know texts have to go through 1x so how long does your data session pause when receiving a text?

The answer is in Roberts article: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

"When the Sprint network tries to forward a call/text to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call or text on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If it is just a text, the data session is only interrupted for fractions of a second and is likely not even noticed by the user."

Waiting on the same model, but with a 12/3 shipping date.. I check my order and the Google Play listing all the time. At one point last week, the store listing showed 4-5 week lead time for it. Kudos to Google for apparently being conservative with their estimates, lots of reports of early shipping, some by a significant amount of time.

-Mike

From what I've seen the early shipping only appeared to be orders on 11/1 and 11/2 for 16 and 32GB black models before they apparently ran out.  I guess some Google genius thought more peeps would purchase white (tons of stock) so I'm still seeing orders for 16 and 32GB  white shipping.

From what I'm reading 11/22 must be when the next push of product is coming in for order fulfillment.  Running out of stock and not getting more in for several weeks shows fairly poor planning.  Google can organize data but apparently they have a hell of a time with logistics.

• Like 1

Thanks, I just downloaded this and set it up.  Have you noticed any ill-effects on battery life?  It mentions that it could cause wake issues (device unable to sleep)...  Unfortunately, just got the phone yesterday so I won't be a good sample but I'll keep everyone posted.

I used it for two days but then had to uninstall it because it cannot reliably deal with handcent.  I noticed no battery issues.  I have also used Light Manager and that works just as well with no battery issues but it also cannot deal with handcent well.  Just install it for a day and check the battery stats after you charge up your phone.  It will use more battery when you initially set it up but during a day of normal use it probably won't even be on your battery list.

For now I am using nothing which means I have to rely on each app having it's own notification options which works fine for K9 Mail and Handcent but for some reason google decided missed phone calls do not need the notification lighting up.

• Like 1

Alright, I've done some quick Google'ing and cannot find any information on this and it is blowing my mind.  I'm sure it is a user error, so I apologize in advance.  Are we unable to add apps to the lock screen for quick opening?  I.E. Add the gmail icon to the lock screen in order to open straight into it.  I know I had that on CM10.2 and assumed it was an AOSP thing, but maybe it was a Cyanogenmod enhancement.

Thank you in advance.

From what I've seen the early shipping only appeared to be orders on 11/1 and 11/2 for 16 and 32GB black models before they apparently ran out.  I guess some Google genius thought more peeps would purchase white (tons of stock) so I'm still seeing orders for 16 and 32GB  white shipping.

From what I'm reading 11/22 must be when the next push of product is coming in for order fulfillment.  Running out of stock and not getting more in for several weeks shows fairly poor planning.  Google can organize data but apparently they have a hell of a time with logistics.

Mine is a 16GB White ordered on 11/1 7:45pm. Mine still shows 11/26 as ship date. I am going to give Google the benefit of the doubt here that they had no idea this many people would jump on board with this phone.

Mine is a 16GB White ordered on 11/1 7:45pm. Mine still shows 11/26 as ship date. I am going to give Google the benefit of the doubt here that they had no idea this many people would jump on board with this phone.

After the big demand for the N4 last year you would have thought that they would have been a little bit more prepared for this, although I can understand the decision to not bulk up on phones without knowing.  Could have ended up like Microsoft's Surface with thousands of them stuck in warehouses with little demand for them.

It will do a wake lock every time it has to CHANGE the color. For example, if you have it set to go Red-Green-Blue-Red-Green-Blue..... when you have an email, missed call, and fb message, this will cause several short wake locks EACH SECOND.

For this reason, I have mine set to only show the color of the LATEST notification, so the color only changes if I get a new notification of a different color. 

• Like 1

After the big demand for the N4 last year you would have thought that they would have been a little bit more prepared for this...

Not being able to satisfy demand immediately is not necessarily bad business nor bad publicity.  It generates want and buzz.

Look at Apple.  I read an article just the other day about people still lining up outside the Manhattan Apple Store to buy iPhones because of limited supply.  And this is weeks after the release.

AJ

Not being able to satisfy demand immediately is not necessarily bad business nor bad publicity.  It generates want and buzz.

Look at Apple.  I read an article just the other day about people still lining up outside the Manhattan Apple Store to buy iPhones because of limited supply.  And this is weeks after the release.

AJ

That's so true!  Sprint and Shentel are making WANT that LTE so bad!  ;)

I don't have my N5 yet, but I wanted to say thank you and give Textra another plug -- I installed it on my EVO LTE yesterday, and love it. I had tried several third-party messaging apps in the past, and hated all of them because of all the bloat you mentioned. This is perfect.. and appears to work well with the inescapable iPhone group messages too. Love that you can fully customize each contact's notification settings as well.

-Mike

No worries. I can't recommend it enough. It's the stock app that could / should have been.

-Mike

Got my shipping notice this morning! It previously showed a ship date of 11/22.

• Like 4