Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

From what I have experienced any new lte tower has these eCSFB issues and the older ones don't and connecr just fine. 3 new lte towers in my area that my gs3 will connect to and my galaxy mega and g2 won't. That same vendor thing Sprint is talking about is BS.

Just activated the N5 and MY GOD.... The RF difference between this and the Evo is huge.  I used to have to drive a mile to get LTE in my apt.  Now my N5 is holding onto a faint signal. Already satisfied lol.

It's insane, right? We told you!

There are some issues with the weak signal, did you try the FCC speed test app to monitor packet loss when you have weak LTE?

I end up missing calls when I have weak lte due to packet loss (my working theory anyway). The eCSFB fails, I miss the call.

• Like 2

It's insane, right? We told you!

There are some issues with the weak signal, did you try the FCC speed test app to monitor packet loss when you have weak LTE?

I end up missing calls when I have weak lte due to packet loss (my working theory anyway). The eCSFB fails, I miss the call.

Oh completely insane. I haven't checked for packet loss yet but I will.

Just activated the N5 and MY GOD.... The RF difference between this and the Evo is huge. I used to have to drive a mile to get LTE in my apt. Now my N5 is holding onto a faint signal.

Already satisfied lol.

I have mine coming on Monday I can't wait to get it took advantage of the $30 amazon deal. I went to the sprint store last week and the one max, the g2, and a couple other phones were on 3g the nexus had 2-3 bars of LTE. So that made my decision easy.

• Like 1

Just ordered my 32GB Nexus 5!!

While I'm waiting, what is everybody's preference on visual voicemail and 3rd party texting app? I'm going to dig back through this thread and do a little bit of research but if anybody has suggestions let me know.

Now I need to pick up a SIM for it as well.

• Like 1

This is surprisingly easy to hold in the hand for a 5" phone. Its the same width and height as my EVO and thinner.

So what's the verdict on ART? Worth the potential bugs or not?

Agreed.. I thought my EVO LTE was the max size I would find comfortable, but this is fine.

As far as ART, I enabled it after about one day of usage but switched back to dalvik after a short time because several apps were incompatible at the time. Those apps have since been updated and I am using ART again.. the battery life is noticeably better. I have not noticed any drawbacks.

Switching between the two is no big deal, it just takes a few minutes to rebuild the dalvik cache. I recommend ART, and if you run into force closes or other issues with apps that were previously stable, you can switch back until they are fixed.

-Mike

• Like 2

While I'm waiting, what is everybody's preference on visual voicemail and 3rd party texting app? I'm going to dig back through this thread and do a little bit of research but if anybody has suggestions let me know.

Majority going with Textra for texting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had previously posted about VVM.. I am now using Google Voice Lite (voicemail only, no extra features).. the full GV integration caused a long delay for my phone to ring or VM to pick up, among other things I wasn't a huge fan of. The voicemail-only option is working well for me so far. Textra is my choice for SMS/MMS.

Start trying to get that SIM now, so hopefully you can have one in your hands by the time your N5 is delivered.

-Mike

• Like 4

This is surprisingly easy to hold in the hand for a 5" phone. Its the same width and height as my EVO and thinner.

So what's the verdict on ART? Worth the potential bugs or not?

Agreed.. I thought my EVO LTE was the max size I would find comfortable, but this is fine.

As far as ART, I enabled it after about one day of usage but switched back to dalvik after a short time because several apps were incompatible at the time. Those apps have since been updated and I am using ART again.. the battery life is noticeably better. I have not noticed any drawbacks.

Switching between the two is no big deal, it just takes a few minutes to rebuild the dalvik cache. I recommend ART, and if you run into force closes or other issues with apps that were previously stable, you can switch back until they are fixed.

-Mike

I personally don't use ART, as I had a bad experience with it on the home screen and a few apps, but as mike said, just try it, and if you don't like it, switch back. I unfortunately still use apps stuck in the gingerbread days, so those apps just didn't work, but try it and see if you like it.

However, I disagree about the building of the ART cache. It takes significantly longer than the building of Dalvik cache, so if you have 80+ user apps like me, expect to wait a very long time on the reboot after switching to ART. The best time to switch to ART is when you don't have a bunch of user apps like me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

-Mike

Thanks Mike.  Went ahead and did the switch.  Only WhatsApp is acting up, but I can deal with it for an increase in battery life.

Also, I'm not missing HTC Sense nearly as much as I thought I would.  If anyone is on the fence about this phone just save yourself the time and go ahead and buy it.  No regrets here.

Thanks Mike.  Went ahead and did the switch.  Only WhatsApp is acting up, but I can deal with it for an increase in battery life.

Also, I'm not missing HTC Sense nearly as much as I thought I would.  If anyone is on the fence about this phone just save yourself the time and go ahead and buy it.  No regrets here.

No ragrets. Thats my credo. hahaha

I have had HTC devices since the Touch Pro 2 and used the Sense UI since the Evo4G. I'm pretty excited for my Nexus 5 and I'm sure I will have the same outlook as you did

• Like 2

So where's the N5 accessory thread? Curious of cases you guys were using. I looked at the spigen neo hybrid but was looking for something with a taller trim on the screen area.

http://www.spigen.com/brands/google/nexus-5/nexus-5-case-neo-hybrid.html

I got that one for my N5.  Very nice case and the side buttons are just awesome!

So where's the N5 accessory thread? Curious of cases you guys were using. I looked at the spigen neo hybrid but was looking for something with a taller trim on the screen area.

http://www.spigen.com/brands/google/nexus-5/nexus-5-case-neo-hybrid.html

http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4973-Nexus-5-Accessories

I'm waiting for the Seidio Surface case.. had it on previous phones and loved it. Supposedly will be released any day now for the N5.

-Mike

Not much point in having an Airave when you own a Nexus 5 I guess.  Since I get a faint LTE signal now I don't think mine will ever connect to it.

Yeah, lte performance is simply ridiculous on the N5, this alone will make it extremely difficult for me to get rid of mines any time soon.

• Like 2

Not much point in having an Airave when you own a Nexus 5 I guess. Since I get a faint LTE signal now I don't think mine will ever connect to it.

My worry as well with CFSB. I did test my PCS booster I ran years ago and it looks like it runs out of band by about 5 mhz with no issue. Even pulled LTE from two sites over. Looks like it might go back up.

My worry as well with CFSB. I did test my PCS booster I ran years ago and it looks like it runs out of band by about 5 mhz with no issue. Even pulled LTE from two sites over. Looks like it might go back up.

I bet it does not provide even frequency response across the entire PCS G block.  The slope of the lowpass filter may really be setting in by the upper end of the PCS G block, taking out some of the higher frequency Resource Blocks along with it.

AJ