Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I played with a GS4 a while on AT&T.

Just wasn't my cup of tea. Maybe that had more to do with what Sammy did with Android.

Now if I move to Florida and into Sprint coverage, I'm definitely going to have to try tri-band (something).

• Like 1

Mike, did you stick with K9 or did you find something better?

I think I posted an update somewhere, but I can't find it now.. I stuck with K9, I'm liking it very much. Does everything I want in a mail app, and has some nice extras too, like dark mode. Never realized how much I preferred dark backgrounds, it is so nice since I am often using my phone in low light situations. Textra gets bonus points for that too.

As much as I want to install the old modem, I can't bring myself to root this bad boy

Just out of curiosity, what are you hesitant about? The N5 doesn't need any crazy shenanigans to root it..

-Mike

• Like 1

Hello,

My upgrade with Sprint is on Feb 2nd. Based upon what you guys are reporting, the RF on the N5 is fantastic and for me this is the most important feature I want on a smartphone. Should I get the N5 when my upgrade comes...or wait for the so called Htc m8 which could launch around March?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

If the M8 has good battery life (2600+ mAh battery), and great RF, I'll grab it but HTC is notorious to contain a subpar RF radio.

I played with a GS4 a while on AT&T.

Just wasn't my cup of tea. Maybe that had more to do with what Sammy did with Android.

Now if I move to Florida and into Sprint coverage, I'm definitely going to have to try tri-band (something).

Samsung, HTC, and a bunch of other OEMs basically have their own ecosystem on top of Android, so I kind of don't blame casual users of thinking they hate Android, when in reality, they actually hate TouchWiz or Sense.

I remember with my OG EVO, I used to hate Sense and was jealous of anyone using TouchWiz. TW was so smooth in the pre-Android 4.0 days. So I got an Epic 4G Touch and I was happy with it until they released ICS. Then HTC came out with Sense 4.0 and now I was jealous of anyone with a One X. The HTC One came out and Sense 5.0 was still better than TW, so I kind of hated Samsung for letting HTC get better in their UI in terms of smoothness.

I was about to jump to the LG G2 this year, but with the Play Store version of the Nexus 5 being compatible with Sprint, I had to get it. There was one thing in common with all of the phones I used: rooting it and installing an AOSP ROM, whether CyanogenMod on the EVO, SuperNexus on my E4GT, or SlimBean on my GS3. I always loved how smooth the devices felt after using pure Android with no crazy skin, so the Nexus was perfect for me. It's not the experience for everyone, but it definitely was for me.

So Yea. I would try different phones. The great thing about Android is that it really is a base that manufacturers can build upon. It's up to you to figure out what you like.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

just picked up my HTC One for the first time in about 3 weeks and I'm still impressed with how fast and smooth it is how good the glass feels against the hand when you're just surfing and doing regular everyday stuff! That's really good device and I wish HTC sold more...in addition is still supports Flash browser

just picked up my HTC One for the first time in about 3 weeks and I'm still impressed with how fast and smooth it is how good the glass feels against the hand when you're just surfing and doing regular everyday stuff! That's really good device and I wish HTC sold more...in addition is still supports Flash browser

Isn't flash support more based on that it's using an older version of Android than that it's made by HTC?

Isn't flash support more based on that it's using an older version of Android than that it's made by HTC?

I don't suppose so. Google hasn't supported flash in Chrome for a couple of 4.0+ versions. HTC's stock browser includes support, so it has nothing to do with an older version of android.

Personally I use Chrome, so flash is not missed, but it is mildly annoying when I come across a page and the embedded content says I'm missing the flash plug-in. But that only happens once in a blue moon.

-Luis

• Like 2

Lack of flash is when I need to do banking online and lack flash inhibits me from doing certain actions.... So that is a strick for me personally... But the nexus is good too... Just know I'll be looking at the HTC M8 HTC one/2 when it drops as well....

I have enabled all three bands on my Nexus 5, but I don't think I am receiving Spark. Checking coverage for Sprint Spark on Sprint's website : http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov , if i set the device to Nexus 5, it will show that Spark is not available for the device in NYC, but if i change the device to HTC ONE MAX, then NYC will show that spark is available for the device. Does this coverage map matter for Nexus 5?? Thanks!

Another issue I'm curious if other people are seeing.  Tapatalk 4 is hanging a lot on the Nexus 5 when trying to read S4GRU. I can't say it's a kitkat issue, because it seems to work ok on my N7.   

This is when connecting to Wifi, so it's something to do with tapatalk on the N5..   Anyone else seeing this ? It's annoying when trying to keep up with this forum from the phone. :)

Another issue I'm curious if other people are seeing. Tapatalk 4 is hanging a lot on the Nexus 5 when trying to read S4GRU. I can't say it's a kitkat issue, because it seems to work ok on my N7.

This is when connecting to Wifi, so it's something to do with tapatalk on the N5.. Anyone else seeing this ? It's annoying when trying to keep up with this forum from the phone. :)

My tapatalk was locking up on me a few days ago. I don't know why but it hasn't happened in a couple days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 (RF Beast)

Lack of flash is when I need to do banking online and lack flash inhibits me from doing certain actions.... So that is a strick for me personally... But the nexus is good too... Just know I'll be looking at the HTC M8 HTC one/2 when it drops as well....

Your bank doesn't have an app? Mobile banking is great, I love it personally. But if your bank does not have a dedicated app, I wouldn't even be using a mobile browser. Makes me feel a little unsafe.

-Luis

• Like 1

Your bank doesn't have an app? Mobile banking is great, I love it personally. But if your bank does not have a dedicated app, I wouldn't even be using a mobile browser. Makes me feel a little unsafe. -Luis

I do but I handle my investment account through my bank... So certain menus aren't available.... As I a side 4.4.1 when connected to 1x shows as 3G not 1x as before....

I do but I handle my investment account through my bank... So certain menus aren't available.... As I a side 4.4.1 when connected to 1x shows as 3G not 1x as before....

1x is 3G. Google is probably trying to clarify the correct technologies since a lot of people confuse 1x as 2G. If you want to see 1x listed separately, I suggest you try Signal Check. It's definitely worth it.

• Like 1

If you have a custom recovery installed such as TWRP it's easy. Reboot to recovery, tap install, tap the modem zip, reboot.

I think it may have been a coincidence because I'm seeing much better speeds now.  Running Slimkat ROM as well, getting strong speed.

1x is 3G. Google is probably trying to clarify the correct technologies since a lot of people confuse 1x as 2G. If you want to see 1x listed separately, I suggest you try Signal Check. It's definitely worth it.

No, that would be a Sprint thing. Sprint always requests that phone makers do that. Many of us would really prefer they didnt.

Would anyone on here recommend me selling my iPhone 5S to get a Nexus 5 or LG G2? Or should I just keep the iPhone 5S? I like iOS 7, but I tend to get bored. Would I regret moving to the N5/G2? Also what's better out of the N5 and G2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it really depends on your definition of better.  For me i didn't require the battery hogging quad core SOC so i went with the mega.  I get a Dual core phone with a huge display(important to me since i do a large amount of remote desktop work), a large 3200 mah battery that's replaceable and/or upgrade able, and has excellent RF performance(i can now hang onto my "nearest" tower so when i go outside of my house i don't have a 1 mile exclusion zone).  If you aren't into huge displays or don't care about being able to replace your battery and have to have the latest SOC(which honestly most people don't really need) then you won't go wrong with the GN5 or LGG2.  I would give the mega a shot.

But even I am partly guilty of that. My first android device was the EVO Shift, a low end piece of junk. However, my mid range Galaxy Nexus was 3 times worse of a phone than the Shift.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

The GNEX was a frankenphone with sub-par components..like the via baseband to start with...:)  I have a gnex that i jsut left for my Mega..My daughter i bought a used s2 for her instead of foisting the gnex on her.  The gnex is purely for backup purposes now..i won't get rid of it under another phone upgrades..:)

The GNEX was a frankenphone with sub-par components..like the via baseband to start with...:) I have a gnex that i jsut left for my Mega..My daughter i bought a used s2 for her instead of foisting the gnex on her. The gnex is purely for backup purposes now..i won't get rid of it under another phone upgrades..:)

I'm putting my Gnex on eBay today. Goodbye Frankenphone, lol.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I have enabled all three bands on my Nexus 5, but I don't think I am receiving Spark. Checking coverage for Sprint Spark on Sprint's website : http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov , if i set the device to Nexus 5, it will show that Spark is not available for the device in NYC, but if i change the device to HTC ONE MAX, then NYC will show that spark is available for the device. Does this coverage map matter for Nexus 5?? Thanks!

The Nexus 5 and LG G2 are not yet Spark devices.  Rather, an OTA update early next year will enable tri band LTE.  Manually doing so with your MSL may or may not have the same effect.

AJ

• Like 2

most mobile devices don't support flash anymore mostly because adobe has abandoned flash for mobile for over a year.  if your bank requires flash for mobile you need to start making a ton of noise about that..that's not a handset issue that's your bank being lazy.

• Like 5

The Nexus 5 and LG G2 are not yet Spark devices.  Rather, an OTA update early next year will enable tri band LTE.  Manually doing so with your MSL may or may not have the same effect.

AJ

The same day i got my mega it did several updates..now when the phone boots it shows a sprint spark splash screen....don't know if that means it's really tri-band yet or not..i'll have to head to Baltimore to find out..:)  

The same day i got my mega it did several updates..now when the phone boots it shows a sprint spark splash screen....don't know if that means it's really tri-band yet or not..i'll have to head to Baltimore to find out.. :)

The Samsung Galaxy Mega, Galaxy S4 Mini, and HTC One max all received their Spark OTA updates last month, basically right out of the box.

AJ

• Like 1

I just changed to 1x and mine still shows 1x by the signal bars.