Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

If rf performance is your most important feature, I would suggest that you cross anything HTC branded off of your list. They build a good phone and Sense is a polished overlay, but I have yet to hear anyone say their HTC picks up a strong signal. My G2 picks up LTE in places that my old Evo would roam on Verizon 1x. 'Nuff said.

The EVO had a weak LTE radio. The HTC One, much much better. Can't broad brush like that. While the HTC One certainly isn't up there with the N5, it is in line with other devices such as the GS3/4.

I must say that when it comes to 1x and 3g connectivity I never had any issues with HTC devices, my only concerns were with 4g signal levels. Also note that other carriers don't seem to have the same issues with their HTC devices compared to HTC devices on sprint.

I thought my Evo 3D had good signal after coming from T-Mobile and always being in "emergency only" while indoors and then a Samsung Moment. I just thought Sprint needed to space their towers a little closer to keep from always dropping to 1x or roam for a few hundred feet between tower hand-offs. It wasn't until my G2 that I see just how strong the Sprint network is here. I don't even know if I will ever see 1x800 because this this holds LTE and eHRPD like a pit bull. I get LTE where even AT&T users at work are stuck trying to find a hotspot.

I thought my Evo 3D had good signal after coming from T-Mobile and always being in "emergency only" while indoors and then a Samsung Moment. I just thought Sprint needed to space their towers a little closer to keep from always dropping to 1x or roam for a few hundred feet between tower hand-offs. It wasn't until my G2 that I see just how strong the Sprint network is here. I don't even know if I will ever see 1x800 because this this holds LTE and eHRPD like a pit bull. I get LTE where even AT&T users at work are stuck trying to find a hotspot.

Now that you mention it, I would say the evo 3d was probably the worst rf device I ever owned from HTC. It was definitely worse than the og evo and the evo lte so if that's the device you came from then I can definitely understand.

• Like 1

I did a comparison side by side in the car today of the Note2 and N5.  Comparing LTE, EVDO and 1x, the Note2 and N5 are fairly close to each other in terms of signal with a little edge going to the N5. Surprisingly there was a good bit of difference on the 1x and EVDO side of things.  No surprise from seeing other people comparing devices, but the N5 definitely holds the RF Beast title right now.  The Note2 held the title for so long but it was quickly left in the dust!

• Like 1

Josh is afraid that iOS might get jealous if he flirts with a high end Android handset, so he sticks with mid range Android handsets and tells Siri, "Don't worry, baby. They mean nothing to me."

AJ

That is totally untrue. iOS won't get jealous. I'm just testing the Android grounds again. Too afraid to be burned with another 5 devices like what happened last time.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

That is totally untrue. iOS won't get jealous. I'm just testing the Android grounds again. Too afraid to be burned with another 5 devices like what happened last time.

When you order that N5 go ahead and block Gazelle.com in your firewall(s).  :)

• Like 1

Posted Image

Getting good battery life today. The first couple hours was sleeping when I took it off the charger last night but this is the first day I made it without putting the phone on the charger.

This is also the first day I've been off work with the phone. At work I make hours of phone calls and listen to google music for hours on in therefore killing my battery life a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 (RF Beast)

ox2ckhpa.jpg

AJ

• Like 10

atu3uta4.jpg

Getting good battery life today.

[coughs] Yeah, I always enjoy going a day or two between charges [/coughs]

tmp_Screenshot_2013-11-25-14-36-191166778960.png

• Like 1

[coughs] Yeah, I always enjoy going a day or two between charges [/coughs]

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif tmp_Screenshot_2013-11-25-14-36-191166778960.png

Looks like the G2 is the battery beast. I had to go with the RF beast instead. I'm always around a charger. I needed the reception.

• Like 3

Looks like the G2 is the battery beast. I had to go with the RF beast instead. I'm always around a charger. I needed the reception.

Have you enabled ART on your N5 yet? I've heard that gives a good boost in battery performance. Also, I have Snapdragon Battery Guru installed. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it doesn't seem like it hurts anything, either.

Have you enabled ART on your N5 yet? I've heard that gives a good boost in battery performance. Also, I have Snapdragon Battery Guru installed. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it doesn't seem like it hurts anything, either.

I haven't messed with that yet. I'll wait a little while

Downloading the 4.4.1 update now, since I figure that they won't auto-push it to me because I'm rooted :(

To add to the chorus, I've swapped AT&T (GoPhone), T-Mobile (Wal-Mart 100 minute, 5GB) and Sprint (my main line) SIMs on my N5 with no ill effects. Well, in some cases you have to go into *#*#4636#*#* and switch the phone mode to get service (self-explanatory when you get to that settings page), and you have to reboot when you put a new SIM in, and T-Mobile data-only plans don't work (so I canceled mine). But none of these things are a big deal, and I've successfully used LTE on all three of those carriers on the same phone. The ability to choose a carrier based on what area you're in is great :)

ifakesiri.com? How original, AJ. :P

I am glad that your sense of humor is coming around, Josh.  It was lacking earlier tonight.  But your sense of perspective is still on the mends.

You have consistently "cheaped out" on sub par Android handsets.  Then, you go back to high end iOS handsets because they are all high end -- for now.  That is akin to eating at McDonald's, then judging all American food to be mediocre.

For once, get yourself a high end Android handset.  You can even still be cheap, as the Nexus 5 is, honestly, cheap.  So, there you go...

AJ

• Like 7

I did a noise cancelling test, I was about 5 inches to the side of the exhaust of a Honda EU2000i generator and the person on the land line could hear me just fine and said that it sounded like water in the background.

I do not know the SO I was using at the time but I think it was 4GV-NB.

I did a noise cancelling test, I was about 5 inches to the side of the exhaust of a Honda EU2000i generator and the person on the land line could hear me just fine and said that it sounded like water in the background.

I do not know the SO I was using at the time but I think it was 4GV-NB.

Between the exhaust fumes and the cellular radiation, I am sure your insurance company loves you..

Between the exhaust fumes and the cellular radiation, I am sure your insurance company loves you..

I was testing the generator to make sure it was ready(and did not need it) and I was only by it for 1min.

I am glad that your sense of humor is coming around, Josh.  It was lacking earlier tonight.  But your sense of perspective is still on the mends.

You have consistently "cheaped out" on sub par Android handsets.  Then, you go back to high end iOS handsets because they are all high end -- for now.  That is akin to eating at McDonald's, then judging all American food to be mediocre.

For once, get yourself a high end Android handset.  You can even still be cheap, as the Nexus 5 is, honestly, cheap.  So, there you go...

AJ

It's actually quite surprising how many people cheap out on Android handsets then proclaim Apple to be supreme. 

• Like 10

It's actually quite surprising how many people cheap out on Android handsets then proclaim Apple to be supreme.

I'm not trying to 'cheap out'. I just freak when people say 'radio issues'. However, I freaked out too much, as it seems I will be better with the N5 for LTE wise than even my i5.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to 'cheap out'. I just freak when people say 'radio issues'. However, I freaked out too much, as it seems I will be better with the N5 for LTE wise than even my i5.

Sorry I didn't mean for that to seem as if it was directed at you.  I was actually thinking of my less technical friends who compare their full price iPhones to whatever cheap Android Huawei phones they swap their Straight Talk sim cards into.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't mean for that to seem as if it was directed at you. I was actually thinking of my less technical friends who compare their full price iPhones to whatever cheap Android Huawei phones they swap their Straight Talk sim cards into.

But even I am partly guilty of that. My first android device was the EVO Shift, a low end piece of junk. However, my mid range Galaxy Nexus was 3 times worse of a phone than the Shift.