Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I just DLed the OTA on my laptop. There is a new /system/framework/telephony-common.jar

No new radio image. But maybe there was a bug between the two and the new radio needed a new telephony framework to get proper signal?

Who knows, I'll wait until it is pushed to my phone.

Anyone reporting signal strength on 4.4.2, please specify whether you are using the 4.4 radio image or the 4.4.1 radio image.

I just DLed the OTA on my laptop. There is a new /system/framework/telephony-common.jar

No new radio image. But maybe there was a bug between the two and the new radio needed a new telephony framework to get proper signal?

If the previous update was completely pulled (containing the 'new' radio image) and this is meant to be the actual update, wouldnt those who never got last weeks update end up staying on the original radio?....and possibly this is what they want?

My signal seems slightly worse, by 2 or 3dBm, nothing too drastic like some people have been reporting. I'm willing to give this radio a go considering the phone holds onto LTE longer than it probably should with original radio.

My signal seems slightly worse, by 2 or 3dBm, nothing too drastic like some people have been reporting. I'm willing to give this radio a go considering the phone holds onto LTE longer than it probably should with original radio.

Which radio? Do you have the 4.4 or 4.4.1 radio? There is no new radio in 4.4.2

If the previous update was completely pulled (containing the 'new' radio image) and this is meant to be the actual update, wouldnt those who never got last weeks update end up staying on the original radio?....and possibly this is what they want?

If this was the case, you would assume they would put the 4.4 radio in the 4.4.2 update to roll everyone back. But who knows.

The 4.4.2 software update is KOT49H. Baseband and kernel version are the same in 4.4.1 and 4.4.2, but some of the telephony files have changed so they did something to the radio, as well as other fixes. Looks like 4.4.1 was only officially pushed out as an OTA for some users, and now 4.4.2 is rolling out for far more users on the Nexus 4, 5, and 7; someone on XDA mentioned that 4.4.1 was a "beta" only pushed out as an OTA to approximately 1% of users.

Here are the .zips you can flash in custom recovery if you do not want to wait for the OTA:

4.4 (KRT16M) -> 4.4.2 (53.9 MB)

4.4.1 (KOT49E) -> 4.4.2 (1.66 MB)

I updated from 4.4.1 to 4.4.2; root was lost, but custom recovery remained intact (TWRP) so it was an easy fix. Baseband was not touched (makes sense). Cache rebuild was forced on startup. Haven't noticed any major changes from 4.4.1.

-Mike

• Like 1

Can this update be applied directly from the phone using the download link you just provided? I did the 4.4.1 update using the adb sideload procedure but I am not going to be in front of a computer for the rest of the week. Just wondering if I can get this installed somehow? I am stock and not rooted.

The original 4.4 > 4.4.1 update was not pulled, maybe from Sprint side if they had it up but not from Google. You can still download it from Google:

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_hammerhead/7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6.zip

I just updated using the OTA zip file. I use Xposed framework along with flashing SuperSU, so, to get a clean /system, I just reflashed the stock odexed KRT16M zip file from XDA, flashed the KOT49E OTA update zip, and then flashed the KOT49H OTA update zip, reflashed SuperSU, rebooted, then did a fastboot flash recovery again to get my CWM recovery, and now I'm on the latest update. Man, I love how easy it is to update Nexus phones. No need to wait for someone to make a pre-rooted stock flashable zip or a pre-rooted Odin update in the case of Samsung phones.

In any case, looks like a small update. I checked the *#*#DATA#*#* menu just to see if they enabled triband early, but no dice as expected. Looks like we have to wait for 4.4.3 or maybe even later for triband.

• Like 1

Can this update be applied directly from the phone using the download link you just provided? I did the 4.4.1 update using the adb sideload procedure but I am not going to be in front of a computer for the rest of the week. Just wondering if I can get this installed somehow? I am stock and not rooted.

it can be applied via TWRP as any other zip file, otherwise if your completely stock you must use fastboot sideload...

... or simply wait until it gets pushed to your device.

In any case, looks like a small update. I checked the *#*#DATA#*#* menu just to see if they enabled triband early, but no dice as expected. Looks like we have to wait for 4.4.3 or maybe even later for triband.

I am betting that triband enablement will come from a profile update, although I concede that there may very well be needed radio updates too.

I was able to flash 4.4.2 over a custom kernel, the zip from 4.4.1 to 4.4.2 is 1.66MB.

Just had to reflash the SuperSU binary and was all set.

According to XDA

Originally Posted by cmstlist viewpost.png
Glancing at the zip, most patch files are only 1- 2 KB which suggests a minor change like version number. Files larger than 2 KB are patches for:

/system/app/FaceLock.apk
/system/app/GoogleCamera.apk and .odex
/system/app/GalleryGoogle.apk

/system/bin/sensors.qcom

/system/framework/telephony-common.odex
/system/framework/ext.jar
/system/framework/framework-res.apk

/system/lib/libpatts_engine_jin.api.so
/system/lib/libwebviewchromium.so
/system/lib/libpac.so
/system/lib/libnfc-nci.so
/system/lib/libnfc_nci_jni.so
/system/lib/libfacelock_jni.so

/system/priv-app/GoogleLoginService.apk and .odex
/system/priv-app/Settings.apk and .odex
A number of other files in here are 3 KB

/vendor/lib/libmmcamera2_isp_modules.so
/vendor/lib/libmmcamera2_stats_modules.so
/vendor/lib/libmmcamera2_imglib_modules.so
and a few others ranging 3-6 KB.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48314033&postcount=51

did the OTA update just now.  was on 4.4.1 but with the 4.4 radio.  It really screwed something up.  Unable to use data when not on Wifi.  Cant use Google Play store on Wifi or 3G and i cant seem to send / receive text or MMS.  Wondering if I need to install the 4.4.1 radio.

oh, and also lost root.

did the OTA update just now.  was on 4.4.1 but with the 4.4 radio.  It really screwed something up.  Unable to use data when not on Wifi.  Cant use Google Play store on Wifi or 3G and i cant seem to send / receive text or MMS.  Wondering if I need to install the 4.4.1 radio.

oh, and also lost root.

No issues here at all.  I'm on the 4.4 radio with 4.4.2

oh, and also lost root.

I was also on 4.4.1 with the 4.4 radio (.17) and just flashed to 4.4.2.. I also lost root, but wi-fi, 3G, and LTE all work fine. No issues with Play Store or SMS either. Try updating your data profile.

-Mike

EDIT: I did not lose custom recovery (TWRP) either.

• Like 3

to flash root without a custom recovery,

download supersu zip to your phone

http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

download twrp2 for your device to your ADB directory, in this case n5, but you can d/l the twrp for whichever supported device you have

http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/205

adb reboot-bootloader

fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-hammerhead.img

this will boot twrp without flashing it

from here you can flash superuser (or any other flashable zips/mods/etc)

reboot, open supersu and update binary if prompted

you can still take any ota, although almost every ota will remove root thus requiring you to repeat this process

I was also on 4.4.1 with the 4.4 radio (.17) and just flashed to 4.4.2.. I also lost root, but wi-fi, 3G, and LTE all work fine. No issues with Play Store or SMS either. Try updating your data profile.

-Mike

Lost TWRP as well but just added it back and rooted again.  Will see what happens.

I updated my earlier post here, with links to both flashable zips and my first impressions of 4.4.2. Basically, you'll lose root (easily regained), but nothing else breaks.

Going to stay with the original 4.4 radio (baseband .17) for now, as it has been working awesome for me and I see no need to mess with it. Curious if any changes in 4.4.2 affected it though.

-Mike