Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

With how the baseband and whatever else in our software that our phones currently has, if you have a really strong band 25 signal, it seems to overcome the ability to connect to band 41, even if you set band 25 to "0".

Has anyone else noticed how dark to video is after 4.4.2? I find this a big issue video recording is horrible now inside of my house. I was also wondering how to focus while using the video camera because it will get blurry and not auto focus and if you touch the screen it just takes a photo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

With how the baseband and whatever else in our software that our phones currently has, if you have a really strong band 25 signal, it seems to overcome the ability to connect to band 41, even if you set band 25 to "0".

That's the thing though, my band 25 signal is not as strong as the band 41 signal would be. When I had a wimax phone I would get almost full signal from that tower. The Clearwire/Spark tower is about a mile and a half closer than the nearest Sprint NV tower.

Yeah then I definitely have a problem with mines cause my N5 is nowhere as white as my One.

-Luis

Did you put the settings at the same level?

Ok guys I finally got my Nexus 5 in the mail today and I activated it.. The problem I am having now is that Sprint is not giving me my MSL number so I can turn on bands 26 and 41. They said that they can't release the info for lines still under contract, even if I did buy the phone outright. Any ideas?

Just call customer service and tell them you are an app developer and you need the msl. Someone in this thread recommended it and worked for me. Store reps shouldn't have an issue releasing it either.

• Like 1

That's the thing though, my band 25 signal is not as strong as the band 41 signal would be. When I had a wimax phone I would get almost full signal from that tower. The Clearwire/Spark tower is about a mile and a half closer than the nearest Sprint NV tower.

maybe it's an ecsfb issue, put your phone in lte only mode and try.

Just a word of warning, my field testing today showed that increasing the band 26 and/or band 41 priority on a Nexus 5 -- without the upcoming Spark update -- can negatively affect LTE connectivity, forcing the Nexus 5 down to eHRPD.  In areas of band 26 and/or band 41 deployment, I attribute this to some band confusion from the altered settings.  So, if you choose to modify your LTE band settings manually, you may not like the results.

AJ

• Like 5

Just a word of warning, my field testing today showed that increasing the band 26 and/or band 41 priority on a Nexus 5 -- without the upcoming Spark update -- can negatively affect LTE connectivity, forcing the Nexus 5 down to eHRPD.  In areas of band 26 and/or band 41 deployment, I attribute this to some band confusion from the altered settings.  So, if you choose to modify your LTE band settings manually, you may not like the results.

AJ

Which baseband are you on?

Has anyone else noticed how dark to video is after 4.4.2? I find this a big issue video recording is horrible now inside of my house. I was also wondering how to focus while using the video camera because it will get blurry and not auto focus and if you touch the screen it just takes a photo.

yes i have noticed this as well and hope it's addressed in the next update.  i also hope they give us some high res 16x9 resolutions to choose from in the camera app.  4:3 sucks hard.

Which baseband are you on?

The original baseband firmware included in the initial batch of shipped units.  I generally do not touch firmware updates.  They are too often "solutions" that create problems.

AJ

• Like 2

The original baseband firmware included in the initial batch of shipped units.  I generally do not touch firmware updates.  They are too often "solutions" that create problems.

AJ

The update tends to be a double edged sword, if your in an area where LTE is not overcrowded, having it hold on to that signal longer might yield better performance like the original baseband does. But I've found that in the city the opposite is true, you might be better off on 3G than overcrowded or fringe LTE. 

The update tends to be a double edged sword, if your in an area where LTE is not overcrowded, having it hold on to that signal longer might yield better performance like the original baseband does. But I've found that in the city the opposite is true, you might be better off on 3G than fringe LTE. 

I am familiar with the characteristics of the new firmware.  I have no chronic concerns with current performance, so the update notification can just sit there and wait and wait and wait...

AJ

I am familiar with the characteristics of the new firmware.  I have no chronic concerns with current performance, so the update notification can just sit there and wait and wait and wait...

AJ

I'm gonna disable band 26/41 for a few days to see if that affects the current radio as well, the way you mentioned.

I am familiar with the characteristics of the new firmware. I have no chronic concerns with current performance, so the update notification can just sit there and wait and wait and wait...

AJ

I had Band 26 and 41 on higher priority than 25 this weekend while in KC. Didn't notice any negative side effects. Never lost LTE once, remained on Band 25 the whole time. Though not sure if there is any Band 26 work going on around the metro like there is in Lawrence. Still on the original as well. Though I may give in soon, having the notification up there is driving me nuts.

From what I've noticed from enabling b41 and b26 is that my battery tends to run down faster then when having the two bands disabled.

Does this phone when having tri band enabled try to connect to b41 or b26 at every handoff or b25 connection drop?

yes i have noticed this as well and hope it's addressed in the next update. i also hope they give us some high res 16x9 resolutions to choose from in the camera app. 4:3 sucks hard.

I hope too! Its pretty ridiculous right now but the pictures are now vibrant and good. If only they could get the video camera to work like that

• Like 1

I had Band 26 and 41 on higher priority than 25 this weekend while in KC. Didn't notice any negative side effects. Never lost LTE once, remained on Band 25 the whole time. Though not sure if there is any Band 26 work going on around the metro like there is in Lawrence. Still on the original as well. Though I may give in soon, having the notification up there is driving me nuts.

Same here. I've never seen anything that would suggest a decrease in performance from having the additional bands enabled.

Loving mine N5 even more, especially after the 4.4.2 update. The camera quality really improved and the System volume is finally useable. And with Xposed + the modules, I got almost the same experience as my S4 (except not using Hololauncher on the N5). :)

And it's quite nice having both Sprint & T-Mobile at the same time b/c sometimes when I get shetty Sprint 3G, I'm able to fall back on fast T-Mobile 4G LTE and vice versa. :D

How do you have both at the same time?  Please explain!

How do you have both at the same time? Please explain!

I'm curious about this too. It would be great if it was possible to have the phone using sprint cdma for calls but put a T-Mobile sim in and get data from T-Mobile.

Whenever I put a Tmo or ATT SIM card in my N5, most traces to Sprint CDMA go away in all the Engineering/Diagnostic/About screens. And I certainly am unable to use Sprint CDMA with a Tmo or ATT SIM card inserted.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

How do you have both at the same time?  Please explain!

I think he meant being able to use either service by swapping out sim cards. Unless he found some way to actually use both services, which would imply the Nexus 5 has dual sim capabilities. There's another sim tray we don't know about O.O!

-Luis

Are you talking about the 4.4.3 update notification? If so, can't you just long press it and choose app info, disable notifications?

If not, please disregard.

• Like 2