Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

anyone else having bad voice quality/issues while on phone calls on 1x800? they switched new towers on around me a few weeks ago and then today another batch got switched over. anytime i make a call while on 1x800 (and have verified that i stayed on 1x800) during the call it goes from sounding great to cutting in and out, to quiet, to even disconnecting. this is with mid 80's or better signal too. not sure if there is an issue with my phone, or something not right with the towers, or just because they are still working in the area or what.

The last time I got a 1x800 signal, I had this exact issue occur.  I had to airplane mode and my phone jumped back to PCS so I could reconnect the call.  I'm wondering if this might be the "cell breathing" that I experience on PCS at my house.  I'm on the outer edge of a semi rural PCS site and frequently drop calls/have poor quality and AJ described it as cell breathing where your call would normally switch to another site, but because there isn't a neighbor site to handoff, the call drops/gets crazy choppy.

Unless I completely misunderstood what cell breathing is, then my entire post is moot.

alright so Sprint is going to setup voice/data 1x on 800 in their first upgrade, then push lte onto 800 on their next run. Now is 3g data just going to be left on 1900 from now til the end of time.

Also what is max data rate for 1x

Correct, 3G Ev-Do will remain on PCS only- there won't be any room left within the 10-14 MHz of SMR Sprint holds for Ev-Do after the CDMA & LTE carriers are deployed.

Since it appears that Sprint is consistently tuning their 1x Advanced equipment for coverage rather than capacity/speed, the theoretical maximum speed will be the same as legacy 1x- 153 kbps, or about 120 kbps up and down in the real world.

• Like 1

Guest DigiClaws

Thanks JoeJoeJoe and Dkoellerwx for those maps. I see the Canadian IBEZ is 100-140km. Would it be about the same for the Mexican IBEZ? Is there any idea when that will be worked out and 800 SMR will be available in those regions?

Thanks JoeJoeJoe and Dkoellerwx for those maps. I see the Canadian IBEZ is 100-140km. Would it be about the same for the Mexican IBEZ? Is there any idea when that will be worked out and 800 SMR will be available in those regions?

The re-branding is already going on along the Mexican border, is was suppose to start this summer, but may take up to 30 months to complete, governments being what they are and all. Could be some areas are cleared for use by next summer (not real likely), don't really know at this point.

Ok, what's the deal? I have an EVO 4G LTE, had signal check pro going, and drove all the way from Orlando FL to Raleigh, NC and not once did it alert or report 800mhz connectivity. I think I must have it configured wrong. Under Phone Info, I had it set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto. should I have had it on CDMA auto (PRL) ??

Could it also be my PRL is wrong, due to my MVNO carrier? 

Ok, what's the deal? I have an EVO 4G LTE, had signal check pro going, and drove all the way from Orlando FL to Raleigh, NC and not once did it alert or report 800mhz connectivity. I think I must have it configured wrong. Under Phone Info, I had it set to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto. should I have had it on CDMA auto (PRL) ??

Most likely you didn't encounter any 1x800 to connect to.

• Like 1

Ericsson markets are still lacking 1x800 in many areas. Some of them were rolled back.

• Like 1

Ericsson markets are still lacking 1x800 in many areas. Some of them were rolled back.

I'm not sure I've ever heard exactly why they are not on schedule with it. Is it a hardware issue?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I've ever heard exactly why they are not on schedule with it. Is it a hardware issue?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I really wish we knew the real reason along with other oddities they are doing.

I really wish we knew the real reason along with other oddities they are doing.

It's a shame that Ericsson is like that kid in class who'd eat the playdough and get caught sleeping in class while drooling on the desk while Samsung and Alcatel-Lucent are like the two Asian twins who always won first place at the science fair and skipped a grade.

• Like 7

It's a shame that Ericsson is like that kid in class who'd eat the playdough and get caught sleeping in class while drooling on the desk while Samsung and Alcatel-Lucent are like the two Asian twins who always won first place at the science fair and skipped a grade.

Hence the reason NSN is doing B41 and NOT Ericsslow

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The funny part is that in the beginning of network vision, everyone was jealous of Ericsson because they were the ones firing up LTE the most. ALU and Samsung were 3G focused in the beginning if I remember right.  

The funny part is that in the beginning of network vision, everyone was jealous of Ericsson because they were the ones firing up LTE the most. ALU and Samsung were 3G focused in the beginning if I remember right.

That's why I'm glad AlcaLu is my areas NV Vendor! They're spitting out 4G sites left and right and 800Mhz is going live in clusters.

• Like 4

Your phone was set correctly, that is the proper setting for the EVO LTE. Your PRL probably isn't "wrong", but it likely does not have SMR (800) prioritized over PCS (1900). If you had a strong PCS signal, your phone might not have ever looked for an 800 signal. But that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

FYI, you could load a custom PRL to bump 800 SMR to a higher priority. I hear that those who donate to this site and become a member might have access to a few of those..

-Mike

• Like 1

Has it ever been posted anywhere what additional steps (hardware, software, regulatory) need to be taken to add LTE 800 capability to a site that has already gotten its NV 3G + 4G upgrades?  The sites around where I live are currently testing 800 voice & data and I'm curious how much more needs to be done once that is rolled out.

Was at Cabelas near Wheeling WV today when signal check alerted me of 800mhz. It was only on for a few minutes and there was no LTE but what I found interesting is that the tower is physically located in WV. Isn't that supposed to be nTelos territory? The tower is located 2-3 miles from Cabelas and when I drove right next to it on my way back toward Washington the 800mhz was not operating.

post-25520-138679067319_thumb.jpg