Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I'm curious as to why he/she thinks the 800MHz rollout is 20% complete. There are a dozen or so live 800MHz sites in the DFW area out of hundreds of sites. Pretty sure that CSR's aren't that reliable for information.

A lot of Ericsson sites have 1x800 running but it is blocked.

I'm curious as to why he/she thinks the 800MHz rollout is 20% complete. There are a dozen or so live 800MHz sites in the DFW area out of hundreds of sites. Pretty sure that CSR's aren't that reliable for information.

Digi beat me to it, but sites may be completed with 800, but they are waiting to unblock it until they can do large clusters all at once.

Digi beat me to it, but sites may be completed with 800, but they are waiting to unblock it until they can do large clusters all at once.

Another negative for Ericsson markets while the Samsung markets get the better equipment and better rollout combined with 800mhz.

• Like 1

Another negative for Ericsson markets while the Samsung markets get the better equipment and better rollout combined with 800mhz.

Digi, u are starting to resemble a drunk guy repeating themself. Get your act together.

Forgive me, but since I typically access via Tapatak, I don't see the maps...

So could anyone tell me if there are plans of any 800 mhz sites in Northern Virginia.

I am getting 1900 LTE through out Northern Virginia and in much of DC and some Maryland...but no 800mhz voice or data.

As I had previously reported, I have only seen the 800mhz notification 'light-up' in one place in the whole Washington DC/Northern Virginia/Southern Maryland area.

Just wondering if any sites in the area are planed and if so, when they might go live.

I don't get why Sprint is letting Ericsson sit on their hands with hundreds and hundreds of sites that could go 1x800,hell probably thousands. Sprint has said they do not want to pay roaming to VZW anymore than they have to but yet 800mhz RRUs sit idle in areas where it could be fired up. There are lots of capable handsets out there now. For instance, one of my low data usage lines went to almost 0 bytes of data roaming with 800smr was fired up here, now that is turned off they are back to roaming around 50 megabytes a month. And this simply one little area with one line. The only answer I can see is equipment issues at the sites. Money they are just throwing on the table for others to grab...

• Like 3

Yep Ericsson is doing a sub par job on this whole rollout. No 800 sites in 99% of Ericsson market doesn't make since this late in the game when over half of there 1900 lte is deployed. I really believe they basically want to finish there entire 1900 cdma and lte footprint before starting 800 voice and data.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Yep Ericsson is doing a sub par job on this whole rollout. No 800 sites in 99% of Ericsson market doesn't make since this late in the game when over half of there 1900 lte is deployed. I really believe they basically want to finish there entire 1900 cdma and lte footprint before starting 800 voice and data.

I think it's about money. I don't blame them. I would probably do the same thing and visit a site 4 or 5 times and get paid much more than doing it all at once. For instance a new set of RRU's were put up. Plenty of backhaul is there and as I thought LTE was lit of quick. Did they light up the PCS CDMA even though it is surrounded by other NV sites? Nope. Light up 1x800 even in blocked mode? Nope. Just seems odd when they were right there hooking things up.

I think it's about money. I don't blame them. I would probably do the same thing and visit a site 4 or 5 times and get paid much more than doing it all at once. For instance a new set of RRU's were put up. Plenty of backhaul is there and as I thought LTE was lit of quick. Did they light up the PCS CDMA even though it is surrounded by other NV sites? Nope. Light up 1x800 even in blocked mode? Nope. Just seems odd when they were right there hooking things up.

I see that but while they are milking sprint for there money, Sprint is bleeding subscribers because Ericsson won't bundle the upgrades. If I give someone a job to do and I find out they are milking me for my money they would be out the door quick. I can definitely see why Sprint dropped them for the td lte deployment

• Like 4

In the meantime, Alcatel Lucent is beginning to light up 800Mhz in clusters here in NYC. I don't know about other cities, but here I am picking up 800Mhz more. Not that it is entirely usable yet. My phone connects but then drops down to PCS, even though the signal is lower on PCS. It is slightly annoying. I'm sure when more sites are live, it'll be better.

• Like 2

In the meantime, Alcatel Lucent is beginning to light up 800Mhz in clusters here in NYC. I don't know about other cities, but here I am picking up 800Mhz more. Not that it is entirely usable yet. My phone connects but then drops down to PCS, even though the signal is lower on PCS. It is slightly annoying. I'm sure when more sites are live, it'll be better.

And Alcatel Lucent might have one of the most 800 MHz complete markets (Shentel). I (and others) have caught them testing it in the Mid Atlantic areas, but they haven't brought it up around here yet.

For as much grief as AcLu gets I think they still beat out Ericsson.

• Like 4

I thought sprint paid Ericsson and all the vendors a lump sum with incitives for exceeded targets (lighting up sites faster). In fact I am pretty sure that is how sprint explained the payment structure on one of their conference calls.

Could anyone provide a link to a high resolution IBEZ map of the California/Mexico border? Every map I've found so far has been very low resolution and it makes it hard to distinguish where the IBEZ actually starts. I spend most of my time in Northern OC, so it seems like my area is in the clear when I stare at the map long enough, but it's too hard to know for sure without being able to see city names.

• Like 1

Interesting. Looks like Sprint is going to be paying to move/replace public safety radio equipment even outside the IBEZ: http://www.800ta.org/content/resources/faqs.asp#costsfaqs

I believe (but someone may correct me) that part of the reason Sprint received the PCS G Block was for the cost of this.

Interesting. Looks like Sprint is going to be paying to move/replace public safety radio equipment even outside the IBEZ: http://www.800ta.org/content/resources/faqs.asp#costsfaqs

Not only in IBEZ, but I know they they have paid our county to change some freq. also with our Fire and Rescue Dept.. Think it was done a couple of years ago.

More information here on the overall rebanding of 800 MHz than I can process for those interested.

Thanks. Couldn't find a more detailed map, but the info definitely helps. Seems like they're just holding off on all of Southern California since the area is being grouped as "wave 4" regardless of the distance to the Mexican border. The map that shows the waves of SMR transition seems to follow how it's being rolled out for Sprint's network, save for that one lone 800mhz tower north of LA that's been around for a while now.

• Like 1

Thanks. Couldn't find a more detailed map, but the info definitely helps. Seems like they're just holding off on all of Southern California since the area is being grouped as "wave 4" regardless of the distance to the Mexican border. The map that shows the waves of SMR transition seems to follow how it's being rolled out for Sprint's network, save for that one lone 800mhz tower north of LA that's been around for a while now.

I couldn't remember if I had seen a really good map there when I was looking that site. Part of me wishes they would have moved all of the public safety to 700 MHz (some of it is there now) and opened up all of 800 (in the non IBEZ areas) for mobile use.

Could anyone provide a link to a high resolution IBEZ map of the California/Mexico border? Every map I've found so far has been very low resolution and it makes it hard to distinguish where the IBEZ actually starts. I spend most of my time in Northern OC, so it seems like my area is in the clear when I stare at the map long enough, but it's too hard to know for sure without being able to see city names.

A few months ago, I started this thread in the Sponsor forum asking for help making an IBEZ map usable in Google Maps/Earth.. TechSmurf made some progress but it didn't gain a lot of traction.

-Mike

• Like 2

Shouldn't the 800 lte roll out be fairly quickly? The equipment is already there, backhaul needs to be upgraded and they don't have to worry about voice handoff issues like 1x800. Is sprint just underpromising and overdelivering with their timeline?