Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

6 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I guess they could keep it throttled on some sites. This particular site is a colocated Sprint and T-Mobile site (no other carriers on it), and Sprint's site density in this area is also higher than T-mobile, so they probably don't expect Sprint customers to be on it at all. Sectors oriented slightly differently though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Maybe. I get great sprint signal outside just inside can't get anything, mine was limited till I checked today. 

https://imgur.com/a/xaC0BvY

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Still 5 here in philly.

8 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

I was roaming on b2 and b71 in the St Louis area and was still capped at 5. That was on Tuesday. Hopefully that’s changes soon!

Update:

Just went into the basement next to the concrete staircase to see if I could lose sprint connection as I have an iPhone... I actually was able to lose sprint LTE and my phone grabbed B71. I stood up and ran a Speedtest before my phone could pick up sprint again and I got 15 down and 5 up in my basement! Checked after the test and still was showing b71 and I believe it because sprint can’t even pull those speeds here upstairs anywhere in the house even during off peak times. It’s not 100% but I’m pretty sure the cap may be gone here now too.

8 hours ago, JLevoLTE said:

I can verify they lifted the data cap in my area in Connecticut. Getting speeds over 5 now 

I never experienced any throttle when roaming on T-Mobile in northwest Missouri, Kansas or Iowa. Routinely saw speeds of 50-70Mbps down and 10-30Mpbs up. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I never experienced any throttle when roaming on T-Mobile in northwest Missouri, Kansas or Iowa. Routinely saw speeds of 50-70Mbps down and 10-30Mpbs up. 

I didn’t see throttling on T-Mobile for a while but was limited to certain bands. Just more recently I noticed the cap at 5. Hopefully that’s gone now.

Anybody else get their T-Mobile email today? 

Dear Sprint Customers –

I hope you’ve seen the news – but in case you missed it…I’m very excited to tell you that Sprint is officially part of the T-Mobile family! And together, as a new, bigger and better company that will be called T-Mobile, we are bringing the best of both companies together for YOU. We are already building a world-leading 5G network and working even harder to deliver unmatched value – ...

• Like 2

I know this may not be the place for this question but I’m not sure where else to ask. First sprint sent out the covid-19 email a few weeks ago saying everyone will receive 20gb of hotspot and other things. Does this apply to every sprint plan and account or only newer plans? I believe we’re on the “Everything data” plan that we have had for years. Second does anyone have an opinion on if we should keep this plan or lock in a different plan before things change? 

Some of the additional conditions imposed by the CPUC:

Ahead of the CPUC’s voice call vote Thursday, CPUC Commissioner Clifford Rechtschaffen described some of the commitments the companies were making to get the deal done. The state imposed a number of additional conditions, including that the new T-Mobile, which doesn’t participate in Lifeline in California, continue offering Lifeline in California indefinitely to both Sprint’s existing Lifeline customers and to new customers. The new entity also is required to add 1,000 jobs in California in five years.

While commissioners said the anti-competitive nature of the transaction made it a tough one to approve, they said the inclusion of strong enforcement provisions for the conditions and a compliance monitor made it more acceptable.  

RELATED: T-Mobile: Merger with Sprint ready to roll despite COVID-19 fears

The revised proposal (PDF) to approve the merger was posted this week, spelling out the many conditions. Steve Blum, president of the wireless consultancy Tellus Venture Associates who's been closely following the CPUC proceeding, noted in his blog that service obligations were tweaked. T-Mobile needs to deliver 300 Mbps download speeds to 93% of Californians by 2024, but its obligation to serve rural communities will be capped at offering 50 Mbps download speeds to 94% of rural residents and 100 Mbps to 85% by 2026.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-deal-gets-final-cpuc-approval-conditions

I don't think the additional conditions are particularly onerous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Dear Sprint Customers –

I hope you’ve seen the news – but in case you missed it…I’m very excited to tell you that Sprint is officially part of the T-Mobile family! And together, as a new, bigger and better company that will be called T-Mobile, we are bringing the best of both companies together for YOU. We are already building a world-leading 5G network and working even harder to deliver unmatched value – ...

Yup. Received it as well.

a guy on reddit got his one plus 8 today and was unable to activate so far on sprint.  i guess the sprint device BS continues.  *sigh*
With a old sim card or new?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

With a old sim card or new?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

not sure, they just would not activate it for him and the IMEI shows not supported on the BYOD page.

It's interesting that in the email that was sent out to some Sprint customers it says;

We have expanded roaming access for you to ensure T-Mobile’s towers are available to keep you connected. We are moving very quickly, and in fact we have already deployed our enhanced network in Philadelphia with New York and even more cities coming soon.

I haven't personally noticed any changes in the network in my area. Has anyone else in NY or Philly?

5 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

It's interesting that in the email that was sent out to some Sprint customers it says;

I haven't personally noticed any changes in the network in my area. Has anyone else in NY or Philly?

No changes yet.

Went to pick up food yesterday from a take-out place in a shopping center where I'm usually on 1X or, at best, barely-functional EV-DO.  (The site that should be providing LTE is a B25 GMO.) 

https://imgur.com/a/Eyr7QKW

Can't speak to speed, as I didn't think to try it, but it was a nice change to actually have usable service.  I'd never roamed on T-Mobile there before on 311490, so I think it's new.

- Trip

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

I know this may not be the place for this question but I’m not sure where else to ask. First sprint sent out the covid-19 email a few weeks ago saying everyone will receive 20gb of hotspot and other things. Does this apply to every sprint plan and account or only newer plans? I believe we’re on the “Everything data” plan that we have had for years. Second does anyone have an opinion on if we should keep this plan or lock in a different plan before things change? 

I am on everything data 1500 along with a few others here. Reasons to stay: corporate discount, you have many lines, 200 more MB per month of roaming data, 5g access, no VPN or gaming limits, full resolution on videos, 50 GB per month hotspot, Hulu and or AAA. Post on Reddit for reasons against, mainly $$. 

Personally waiting for market to be converted before committing to any carrier. Will then look at new plans.

Secondary rounds of layoffs will hit economy harder. 2nd wave of Covid-19 would be worse but if we can quickly ramp up testing to billions per year we should be fine and start to recover. Best wireless prices will be then.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

10 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

No changes yet.

You guys seen any n41/b41 going up on T-Mobile sites yet? Or AWS 600/700 on Sprint sites? Pics if possible would be great. Stay safe.

43 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I am on everything data 1500 along with a few others here. Reasons to stay: corporate discount, you have many lines, 200 more MB per month of roaming data, 5g access, no VPN or gaming limits, full resolution on videos, 50 GB per month hotspot, Hulu and or AAA. Post on Reddit for reasons against, mainly $$. 

Personally waiting for market to be converted before committing to any carrier. Will then look at new plans.

Secondary rounds of layoffs will hit economy harder. 2nd wave of Covid-19 would be worse but if we can quickly ramp up testing to billions per year we should be fine and start to recover. Best wireless prices will be then.

We’re on the same plan I believe but we don’t get any hotspot. Are you saying you get 50gb hotspot with your plan? Hotspot is the only reason I would want to switch plans.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

We’re on the same plan I believe but we don’t get any hotspot. Are you saying you get 50gb hotspot with your plan? Hotspot is the only reason I would want to switch plans.

As of March 31st you could go to the settings for each one of your devices on Sprint.com and just check a box to add it on your account. I have not looked since then. Let us know if you have issues by posting a new thread under general topics.

• Like 2

Okay, I can definitely confirm speed caps are gone now in my area. Getting great speeds in a rural area where sprint has nothing. The thing is family’s older iPhone 6/6s phones won’t roam onto T-Mobile at all. Not even on band 2 which they have before in the past but now they just stick to uscc 3g. Anyone have any reasons why that would be?

23 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Dear Sprint Customers –

I am still waiting for the Tmobile Tues to kick in for us...

I keep getting a notice (i dl the app) but it still says not quite ready..

And not that MLB is going right now.. But I am JACKED to get the FREE MLB pass to watch my Dodgers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

You guys seen any n41/b41 going up on T-Mobile sites yet? Or AWS 600/700 on Sprint sites? Pics if possible would be great. Stay safe.

I'm not sure we will see any yet. They are probably moving band 2-25 to the right sites (t-mobile and surviving Sprint sites) using software configuration. Now if they can lower the roaming threshold so that Sprint phones can roam on T-Mobile and vice versa easier. If there is actual physical site work being done, look to Philly first. 

I have looked at T-Mobile's RRHs and they typically have one RRH for the lower frequencies (band 71 and 12) and one for the mid frequencies (2 & 4). So I am assuming they will add a band 41 M-MIMO to each site? Will they also move over or add an 800Mhz RRH or move over a combo one from a Sprint site with the appropriate inputs disabled? Might as well take advantage of 800Mhz while they still own it.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2