Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

If they eventually stop new activations, what happens to people on family plans? Does everyone need to get a new SIM at once and the whole plan migrated to T-mobile for one person to upgrade their device?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tommym65 said:

A second question is whether T-Mobile will offer any incentives for Sprint customers to stay, rather than jump to Verizon or AT&T?  And if they do offer incentives, when can we get them?

Why would they offer any incentives to Sprint users? They're not forcing you out of your plan, so you'll be paying the same price. The only thing that is going to change is coverage. 

I doubt any incentives are offered outside of new phones (probably those awful Revvl phones) for those who don't have CCA/RRPP compliant phones (basically anyone who is rocking a Galaxy S5 or older).

So I force my sprint note 10 plus on tmobile network. I no longer get cap at 5 mbps down or up. I did speed test 110 mbps now. This great sign of allowing us sprint people first on there network take more advantage. This is in BALTIMORE MARKET.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, tommym65 said:

An important question is whether Sprint will continue to sell/activate new devices which are not completely T-Mobile compatible?

A second question is whether T-Mobile will offer any incentives for Sprint customers to stay, rather than jump to Verizon or AT&T?  And if they do offer incentives, when can we get them?

Your second question is my main question. I would save some money by switching. Just no point right now to do so.

From what I'm hearing from my contacts are that "New T-Mobile" ad blitz starts early summer (was June/July time frame) ...   The plan was originally scheduled to start May 1st, but from what I'm told, but with the lock down/ virus... things are pushed to June/July time frame... this is a fluid situation.   

What I do know is it's going to be massive.   Huge ad blitz.   Lots of advertising.    I think they are trying to get the network situated first.     May 1st was to have been the date also, when no new Sprint lines would be added, but I'm afraid that's been pushed too. From what I was told, there would be some really nice plans offered to Sprint and T-Mobile customers.. they don't want to loose anyone.   They are going into this very aggressively.         As far as phones, I'm being told the only phones now offered on Sprint are ones that are compatible with both networks.    I haven't visited Sprint's website so I can't confirm.   Anyone take the trouble to look?    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shannonbrian said:

So I force my sprint note 10 plus on tmobile network. I no longer get cap at 5 mbps down or up. I did speed test 110 mbps now. This great sign of allowing us sprint people first on there network take more advantage. This is in BALTIMORE MARKET.

Next time I'm out in the boonies I'll have to test this. 

5 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

. . .    As far as phones, I'm being told the only phones now offered on Sprint are ones that are compatible with both networks.    I haven't visited Sprint's website so I can't confirm.   Anyone take the trouble to look?    

They continue to offer a bewildering array of hardware.  It's not possible to tell which ones are or are not T-Mobile compatible.  And at this time, there are virtually no incentive prices for existing customers that I have seen.

...   As far as phones, I'm being told the only phones now offered on Sprint are ones that are compatible with both networks.    I haven't visited Sprint's website so I can't confirm.   Anyone take the trouble to look?    

Last time I looked, all the new Android phones and iPhones were still available. They took the V50 off a while back.

26 minutes ago, tommym65 said:

They continue to offer a bewildering array of hardware.  It's not possible to tell which ones are or are not T-Mobile compatible.  And at this time, there are virtually no incentive prices for existing customers that I have seen.

... and there won't be for now.    That's just it... for the most part, nothing has changed, just as New T-Mo want's it.     There will be no fire sale...    The virus has really slowed things and have changed plans.    We just have to be patient.   

Gotta wait.    Few more weeks.  

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Last time I looked, all the new Android phones and iPhones were still available. They took the V50 off a while back.

And most of those are compatible with both networks...       Again... not much has changed.    You're service is the same (or maybe a little better depending on where you are located)... I want to see what new plans are / will be offered too.    I want something cheaper, while remaining a customer.     When they push the software updates out in the near future, then we will begin to enjoy a bigger network.   

• Like 2

Ok... just checked Sprint.com.     All the phones, even the cheap ones are compatible with T-Mobile.   All have band 2 and 66.    Most also have band 71 except a couple.     I'm not seeing a need for Sprint to do much as far as phone line up for now.   In a few weeks it all changes anyway.  

By the way... at some point soon, Sprint.com will be redirected to TMobile.com.    Investor Relations has already been redirected.   It's slowly changing.  

• Like 2

T-Mobile wins final approval from California Public Utilities Commission for closed merger with Sprint

This might push the transition pedal a bit more... Now they can advertise in all 50 states. 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - California's Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) voted on Thursday to approve the merger of wireless carriers T-Mobile US Inc <TMUS.O> and Sprint Corp, marking the final approval for a $23 billion deal which closed on April 1.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Grabber5.0 said:

I don't think that was slowing much of anything down LOL

Ummmh... yeah, they couldn't advertise nationwide as New T-Mobile until all the litigation was concluded.      This is the final domino to fall.       1st quarter earnings for T-Mobile is coming up in the next week or 2.   We'll hear a plan then.         

• Like 2

Posted to the Sprint subreddit not too long ago but it looks like Boost customers are being moved to T-Mobile's network in a few markets starting April 28th and nationwide by mid-May. They're referring to it as the "Expanded Data Network".

According to a recent report filed by Wave7 Research, Boost Mobile is notifying its network of dealers to prepare for the launch of "The Boost Mobile Expanded Data Network."  The "Expanded Data Network" will give Boost Mobile subscribers access to the T-Mobile network.  The launch is scheduled to take place in test markets on 4/28/2020.  A full nationwide launch is tentatively scheduled for the middle of May.

Boost Mobile's new Expanded Data Network will also offer subscribers improved service features.  The prepaid provider has told its dealers that they'll be able to offer devices with VoLTE capabilities.  Subscribers will benefit from VoLTE with higher quality audio calls and the ability to use voice and surf the net at the same time while using LTE data.  Currently, only the Samsung Galaxy S20 5G allows VoLTE enabled calls on the Boost Network.

Another upcoming change will give customers the ability to more easily "pop and swap" SIMs between devices. 

https://bestmvno.com/boost-mobile/boost-mobile-expanded-data-network-volte/

• Like 5

4 hours ago, shannonbrian said:

Still 5 here in philly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shannonbrian said:

After seeing some posts on Reddit, I too am experiencing full speeds on my Sprint devices, a Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G and a iPhone 11, both pulling over 60Mbps down, the S20+ took a few restarts before it began running at full speeds. Band 2 with CA on Band 71 in Centerville, IA.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, dkyeager said:

I would expect the US Cellular will do as it has done in the past: sell off underperforming markets, thus gradually fading away.

I know once T-Mobile expands in my market, and they amp up their advertising. They're gonna suffer some major losses. And today with T-Mobile lifting the 5Mbps throttle for many. The first nail has been put in the coffin. US Cellular has been pricing along with Verizon since dropping their belief plans many years ago, an executive even got quoted on saying they only introduced unlimited cause Verizon did, and they weren't happy about it. They wiped the unlimited with a throttle after 150GB plan from their Wireless Home Internet offering. They can price lower on the monthly given they finance their devices as far out as 30 months, but that's something T-Mobile too has begun doing on higher priced devices.

Now with Sprints currently plan offering, and the lifting of the 5Mbps throttle for many, now is a great time for people to join Sprint and lock in those plans.

5 hours ago, shannonbrian said:

I was roaming on b2 and b71 in the St Louis area and was still capped at 5. That was on Tuesday. Hopefully that’s changes soon!

Update:

Just went into the basement next to the concrete staircase to see if I could lose sprint connection as I have an iPhone... I actually was able to lose sprint LTE and my phone grabbed B71. I stood up and ran a Speedtest before my phone could pick up sprint again and I got 15 down and 5 up in my basement! Checked after the test and still was showing b71 and I believe it because sprint can’t even pull those speeds here upstairs anywhere in the house even during off peak times. It’s not 100% but I’m pretty sure the cap may be gone here now too.

Edited by Cardsfan96
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

So far, absolutely no difference for me. Still switching back and forth between band 25 and 26 with 5Mbps down, unless I turn my MB on.

Soon Snake....   I heard Boost get's switched on 4/28.   Post-paid Sprint can't be far behind from what I hear.  

It's still throttled to 5 Mbps by the eNB in Pittsburgh.65207c86ebe1134f0cad11d6248c6ebe.jpg8125dc244e486141a1c39327a2f1f7d6.jpg948cde01ac37b6cd943fe89e6f11b763.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ingenium said:

It's still throttled to 5 Mbps by the eNB in Pittsburgh.65207c86ebe1134f0cad11d6248c6ebe.jpg8125dc244e486141a1c39327a2f1f7d6.jpg948cde01ac37b6cd943fe89e6f11b763.jpg

Look at your ping though. They are getting it ready I think. That's what happened to me. Still fluctuates but I've seen as low as 25

Look at your ping though. They are getting it ready I think. That's what happened to me. Still fluctuates but I've seen as low as 25

I guess they could keep it throttled on some sites. This particular site is a colocated Sprint and T-Mobile site (no other carriers on it), and Sprint's site density in this area is also higher than T-mobile, so they probably don't expect Sprint customers to be on it at all. Sectors oriented slightly differently though.

• Like 2