Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

From the PC Mag article: 

"Over the next several years, T-Mobile intends to move Sprint LTE customers off that spectrum and use it all for 5G."

So does that mean eventually B41 4G will be gone!?

From the PC Mag article: 
"Over the next several years, T-Mobile intends to move Sprint LTE customers off that spectrum and use it all for 5G."

Yes but not right now

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, jreuschl said:

From the PC Mag article: 

Yup. 4G will be b12 b2/25 and 66 i believe.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipJames89 said:

Yup. 4G will be b12 b2/25 and 66 i believe.

They better keep some b71 for LTE. If they don’t their coverage footprint for LTE will shrink dramatically. That would leave a lot of places without any lowband LTE.

• Like 2

They better keep some b71 for LTE. If they don’t their coverage footprint for LTE will shrink dramatically. That would leave a lot of places without any lowband LTE.
They will keep some B71. DSS should allow all of it for both

I thought they were going to use DSS which allows them to run LTE AND NR on the same bands simultaneously.
They are. Nokia just started DSS

• Like 1

In other merger related news. Did any of you notice that spectrum Omega now shows all of Sprints spectrum is now listed under TMobile.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

In other merger related news. Did any of you notice that spectrum Omega now shows all of Sprints spectrum is now listed under TMobile.

All that is left is for this site to make it's name change in order to make it officially official.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Glad to hear I'll be able to use T-Mobile 5G soon.

I don't see this being such a great thing considering people are already complaining that n71 is already too slow, adding thousands more connection will not help the current situation.

I don't see this being such a great thing considering people are already complaining that n71 is already too slow, add hundreds of thousands more connection will not help the current situation.
They should only use N71 for coverage and n41 for speed.

They should only use N71 for coverage and n41 for speed.

What I mean is dont put people in n71 when n41 has a good signal

5 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Uscc isn't willing to sell

....yet.

I just don't see a place in the market for U.S. Cellular going forward. Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but I just don't see it.

• Like 1

....yet.
I just don't see a place in the market for U.S. Cellular going forward. Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but I just don't see it.
Competition can't buy out everyone

9 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

....yet.

Do you live in a USCC market?  They are very good where they service.  Here in northern new england they cover much of the state in places that others only wished they did (and just roam on USCC instead).  I cant really speak for their other markets though but I like to think they do just as good of a job.

The merger, at least for Maine really did not do much (yet).  At the end of the day, it was two poor coverage carriers getting together where their coverage was almost the same across the state anyways.  I will give tmobile the benefit of the doubt and believe them when they say they will expand in the coming years but USCC is king here.

• Like 2

I've had to force us Cellular while working in Fremont, be since a Sprint tower is out and gave me 1 bar service from surrounding towers which was unusable. Least I can download with us Cellular, although there is no upload speed

I wonder what service levels for EBS license lessors to Sprint will be moving forward with NewCo. 

I also ponder what the eventual plan for resigning leases is. EDU's are only monopolized in legacy EBS 'auction' winning areas, more rural areas have been auctioned since and more will be auctioned going forward w/o the EDU requirements. They are prime licenses in many larger markets where Sprint's performance has been the deal hunting user base common in cities. Many of these contracts were formed with individual license holders beginning in the 90's. It is not likely that they had a blanket, national 30 year agreement for them all signed simultaneously and we may be approaching those terms expiry halfway through this decade.

11 minutes ago, swintec said:

Do you live in a USCC market?  They are very good where they service.  Here in northern new england they cover much of the state in places that others only wished they did (and just roam on USCC instead).  I cant really speak for their other markets though but I like to think they do just as good of a job.

The merger, at least for Maine really did not do much (yet).  At the end of the day, it was two poor coverage carriers getting together where their coverage was almost the same across the state anyways.  I will give tmobile the benefit of the doubt and believe them when they say they will expand in the coming years but USCC is king here.

No I don't. The reason I make this point is that the combined entities/networks of T-Mobile/Sprint provides huge economies of scale and synergy efficiencies to compete agains regional carriers like U.S. Cellular. T-Mobile's 600 MHz spectrum combined with Sprints 2.5 GHz, plus the new cost advantages of building it out won't leave much room for regional carriers to compete in my opinion as the new combined network expands across the nation. Aside from whether or not that's a good thing, I believe it could happen.

31 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Competition can't buy out everyone

True. But it can if the competition is no longer sustainable.

True. But it can if the competition is no longer sustainable.
If uscc is willing to sell I hope VZW gets the spectrum. TMobile has enough