Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Does Dish have much spectrum in Chicago?  I think they want to use that extra capacity during the switch.

They got another 30 MHz of 600 (60 MHz total) with it split 50/50 between 4G and 5G. Verizon got 20 MHz of AWS-3 and AT&T got AWS-4.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Anybody else having odd network things going on?   Might be an indicator your market is undergoing transistion.  

Yes, as of today, I can not find any band 25 or band 26 (band 41 shows up when available though).  I am stuck on tmobile or USCC roaming (as needed).

It very well could be something with my aging Essential phone but the timing is suspicious of course.

I am in Maine where we have always sort of been the red headed step child of the sprint network in regards to timely upgrades.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnner1999 said:

FWIW in my area I’m seeing slightly faster download speed around 20-60mbps (use to be 5-20) and huge increase in upload at 7-15mbps where it was .5 to 2 before). 

Where are you?

I haven't noticed any changes over here in NYC. I'm hoping that one of the more immediate improvements will be increased backhaul given the amount of users the combined network will have to handle pretty soon. 

• Like 1

Any guesses as to what T-Mobile is going to do with the extra blocks of PCS spectrum beyond 20x20Mhz. NR, H+, more LTE?
Here they have 30x30 plus 5x5 G block. I'd like to see 20x20 LTE, 5x5 H+, 5x5 LTE, and 5x5 LTE G block. AT&T has 3 B2 carriers just south of Louisville in Bluegrass Cellular territory (10x10, 5x5, 5x5).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hopefully they fix issues like this soon. Sitting near a window in a warehouse and Sprint B26 is mostly unusable, had to force my phone to T-Mobile. T-Mobile appears to be much denser in Louisville and has several sites with more than 3 sectors. Should be an amazing network here once they fully integrate.
My favorite part is I don't think I've come across any T-Mobile powerline sites here. Almost all Sprint powerline sites here are still B25 only GMO 6+ years after NV. I hope T-Mobile either gets rid of those sites or finally properly upgrades them. Most have a normal cell tower not too far away, one in particular in Louisville had a Nextel site 1/4 mile away they let go and kept the GMO site. d394ceac8f028632dea7121e8d02b0d1.jpg7ae26c6046c0c9ca65428917542df52b.jpg28b412dfb29ea78c9f7260244efc557d.jpge35d8fe89309e13c050b67a26b63eda8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Report: Metro by T-Mobile puts non-exclusive dealers on notice

T-Mobile isn’t commenting, but according to reports, Metro by T-Mobile has given notice to non-exclusive dealers that they won’t be allowed to sell Metro by T-Mobile if they sell other brands.

The National Wireless Independent Dealer Association (NWIDA) on Friday confirmed, from multiple sources, that Metro by T-Mobile had given a 120-day termination notice to stores that are non-exclusive, which means they sell other prepaid brands alongside Metro by T-Mobile.

That's interesting...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swintec said:

Yes, as of today, I can not find any band 25 or band 26 (band 41 shows up when available though).  I am stuck on tmobile or USCC roaming (as needed).

It very well could be something with my aging Essential phone but the timing is suspicious of course.

I am in Maine where we have always sort of been the red headed step child of the sprint network in regards to timely upgrades.

I hope they don't do that in the Wisconsin market yet.  T-Mobile B71 is maybe on just a few towers in the Milwaukee area, they cannot do B12 due to USCC, and Sprint here is subpar but at least they have B26.  Not looking forward to the merging of two inferior carriers :(

When does TM have to shut down B26?  Or when do they plan to?

1 hour ago, jreuschl said:

I hope they don't do that in the Wisconsin market yet.  T-Mobile B71 is maybe on just a few towers in the Milwaukee area, they cannot do B12 due to USCC, and Sprint here is subpar but at least they have B26.  Not looking forward to the merging of two inferior carriers :(

Not sure B26 will be going to dish soon. Not sure if we’ll be able to roam on it 

3 hours ago, jreuschl said:

Band 25 and 26 were back today for me.  Not sure what the deal was.

Some ideas on when we might see more than just "behind the scenes" changes...

"In midsummer, we will see the formal introduction to the market of New T-Mobile," wrote the analysts at Wells Fargo in a note to investors this week.

In response to questions from Light Reading, Wells Fargo analyst Jennifer Fritzsche said she isn't sure whether the operator will make some kind of major new announcement in the summer, but that it would likely kick off a big marketing push at least.

That all dovetails with a report from Jeff Moore at Wave7 Research, which closely tracks the pricing and promotional strategies of the nation's wireless providers. He said that April 1 was considered "day zero" among T-Mobile and Sprint employees, but that July 1 is being discussed as "day one."

However, it's unclear what might happen on "day one." Officials from T-Mobile did not respond to questions from Light Reading on the topic.

At the very least, T-Mobile will likely rebrand most or all of Sprint's stores, and its website, with its own brand. It also will likely embark on a massive new advertising campaign to alert both its own customers and its potential customers that its network is getting a major injection of capacity via Sprint's massive 2.5GHz holdings.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/t-mobile-plotting-summertime-marketing-push/d/d-id/758743

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

Some ideas on when we might see more than just "behind the scenes" changes...

"In midsummer, we will see the formal introduction to the market of New T-Mobile," wrote the analysts at Wells Fargo in a note to investors this week.

In response to questions from Light Reading, Wells Fargo analyst Jennifer Fritzsche said she isn't sure whether the operator will make some kind of major new announcement in the summer, but that it would likely kick off a big marketing push at least.

That all dovetails with a report from Jeff Moore at Wave7 Research, which closely tracks the pricing and promotional strategies of the nation's wireless providers. He said that April 1 was considered "day zero" among T-Mobile and Sprint employees, but that July 1 is being discussed as "day one."

However, it's unclear what might happen on "day one." Officials from T-Mobile did not respond to questions from Light Reading on the topic.

At the very least, T-Mobile will likely rebrand most or all of Sprint's stores, and its website, with its own brand. It also will likely embark on a massive new advertising campaign to alert both its own customers and its potential customers that its network is getting a major injection of capacity via Sprint's massive 2.5GHz holdings.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/t-mobile-plotting-summertime-marketing-push/d/d-id/758743

Let's hope they start migrating capable handsets before July 1st.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Let's hope they start migrating capable handsets before July 1st.

Let's hope they announce something soon for those of us who have been sitting on our aging handsets for 2 years waiting for this to get sorted out!!!  My antique GS7's and iPhone are getting crankier and crankier as they wait to get put out to pasture!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PhillipJames89 said:

Not sure B26 will be going to dish soon. Not sure if we’ll be able to roam on it 

The New T-Mobile will maintain control of B26 for 2 or 3 years, and then an option to extend the lease before it's fully handed over to Dish.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Any guesses as to what T-Mobile is going to do with the extra blocks of PCS spectrum beyond 20x20Mhz. NR, H+, more LTE?

They will try to trade to make them more contigous for future 5g.  Likely will be done as part of mmWave trades along with other bands.

18 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

The New T-Mobile will maintain control of B26 for 2 or 3 years, and then an option to extend the lease before it's fully handed over to Dish.

So T-Mobile will have to keep filing those monthly "Band Reconfiguration"  status reports to the FCC until the rebanding is complete.

Here's the most recent one: https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10402116410705/800 MHz Report April 2020.pdf (Dated April 2, 2020)

Still one public safety licensee and one non-public safety licensee remaining after all this.... Hopeless.

• Like 1

Shentel revealed this week in a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing that it received a Conversion Notice from T-Mobile pursuant to the terms of its affiliate agreement with Sprint. Shentel’s wireless segment has been an affiliate of Sprint since 1995; Shentel also offers cable and wireline services. 

The affiliate agreement sets forth a cascade of deadlines and potential outcomes. First, there’s a 90-day period for the companies to negotiate mutually agreeable terms and conditions for Shentel to continue as an affiliate of the new T-Mobile. If no agreement is reached, then T-Mobile has 60 days to exercise an option to buy the wireless operations of Shentel.

If T-Mobile doesn’t exercise its option, Shentel has 60 days to buy the legacy T-Mobile network and subscribers in its service area. Finally, if Shentel doesn’t exercise its purchase option, T-Mobile must sell or decommission its legacy network and customers in Shentel’s service area.

Tick-Tock....

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Dish has an option to buy it in 3 years. They may decline the $3.4 option but with supposedly large penalties. Dish just might not want to mess around with a 3rd low frequency band. Plus they probably cannot afford the price. They need that money for deploying their other spectrum.

Edited by bigsnake49

OK, I don't know what the hell Entner is talking about in this segment:

"However, unlike turning on the 600 MHz in just a couple of days with a software upgrade, Entner said turning on Sprint’s spectrum for T-Mobile users is going to be more complicated. He explained that Sprint’s backbone and core network is very unique and not standard. It has to work with Boost, the former Virgin Mobile and Nextel, making “the core network a little bit difficult to work with.”"

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-doubled-capacity-speeds-days-spectrum-boost-during-covid-19

Can anybody that knows shed some light on this?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

OK, I don't know what the hell Entner is talking about in this segment:

"However, unlike turning on the 600 MHz in just a couple of days with a software upgrade, Entner said turning on Sprint’s spectrum for T-Mobile users is going to be more complicated. He explained that Sprint’s backbone and core network is very unique and not standard. It has to work with Boost, the former Virgin Mobile and Nextel, making “the core network a little bit difficult to work with.”"

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-doubled-capacity-speeds-days-spectrum-boost-during-covid-19

Can anybody that knows shed some light on this?

I was also wondering about this statement.